PDA

View Full Version : Mirror of Mental Prowess / Crystal ball questions

schreier
2020-12-03, 02:18 PM
Silly question - the crystal balls and mirror of mental prowess all seem to have just clairvoyance, none with clairaudience.

On the Forgotten Realms wiki (https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Mirror_of_mental_prowess) it specifically mentions clairaudience, but this is not actually in the Dungeon Master's Guide entry.

I can't imagine any significant problem is adding clairaudience as a power to the mirror. I would think you could even add true seeing and telepathy if you wanted (as on the crystal ball). Am I missing anything? I guess it would push the item over 200k, which I think pushes it into epic, so maybe you can't do that?

For the "Read the thoughts of any creature reflected therein, as long as the owner is within 25 feet of the mirror, even if those thoughts are in an unknown language." -- is that the Detect Thoughts spell like on the crystal ball? If so, what would the DC be? Detect Thoughts is only level 2, so normally it's a 13 save. But the item has Gate, which requires 19 Int, so would it be 16 DC? Or is there just no save, since the item description just says "you can read the thoughts" without listing any save?

Thanks in advance

Thurbane
2020-12-03, 05:12 PM
There definitely used to be a Crystal Ball With Clairaudience item, but that may have been an earlier edition I'm thinking of.

Just checked the 1E DMG, and it was an item back then. The options were:

crystal ball
crystal ball with clairaudience
crystal ball with ESP
crystal ball with telepathy

sleepyphoenixx
2020-12-03, 06:24 PM
The Crystal Balls are actually based on Scrying, not Clairvoyance, so they have sound by default.

Since the Third Eye: Sense only costs 24k gp though i'd let you add it for half that (since you only need the sound function), which lets it stay under the epic item limit.
That's just me eyeballing it though.

As for the thought reading function, if it doesn't mention that it works as the spell and doesn't mention a save i'd say it doesn't have one.
The mirror is also expensive enough that the function would be useless with a DC that low (not that that stopped the designers for a lot of items, but still).

schreier
2020-12-03, 07:33 PM
Interesting that the mirror is clairvoyance, while a crystal ball is scrying.

What about the mirror's mind reading? Any save?