PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed Help with a Animal Companion that is resistant or immune to cold

samduke
2020-12-03, 02:19 PM
okay playgrounders, I have looked at several and I need help with a Animal Companion that is resistant or immune to cold

factors
the actual entry must say resist cold xx OR immune to cold
must be a large size creature to act as a mount
Prefer that it is able to be taken at the earliest possible druid level

please cite source and page

Cygnia
2020-12-03, 02:47 PM
Branta, Frostburn p113. Immune to cold. Druids can take 'em as companions at lvl4 (FB44)

Doctor Despair
2020-12-03, 02:47 PM
Exalted Companion (Book of Exalted Deeds, p. 42) lets you apply the celestial template to an animal companion (effective druid level -1)

The celestial template grants, among a great number of other things, 5 points of resistance to cold 10 if the companion has 8HD or more).

Thurbane
2020-12-03, 05:03 PM
There's a spell that permanently grants the cold subtype, so that would work with any companion (if you can live with vulnerability to fire): Mantle of the Icy Soul, p.101 (Clr 6, Drd 5).

If you want to get rid of the fire vulnerability, you could also apply the Mantle of the Fiery Spirit from Sandstorm, p.118 (Clr 9, Drd 8). It ads the fire subtype.

I think it's legal for a creature to have both the cold and fire subtypes, and therefore be immune to both energy types.

sleepyphoenixx
2020-12-03, 06:27 PM
There's a spell that permanently grants the cold subtype, so that would work with any companion (if you can live with vulnerability to fire): Mantle of the Icy Soul, p.101 (Clr 6, Drd 5).

If you want to get rid of the fire vulnerability, you could also apply the Mantle of the Fiery Spirit from Sandstorm, p.118 (Clr 9, Drd 8). It ads the fire subtype.

I think it's legal for a creature to have both the cold and fire subtypes, and therefore be immune to both energy types.

One of those was "updated" in SpC to no longer be instantaneous, but i don't remember which.

Thurbane
2020-12-03, 06:52 PM
One of those was "updated" in SpC to no longer be instantaneous, but i don't remember which.

Mantle of the Icy Soul got nerfed to 1 hr/level. Bummer. :smallfrown:

ExLibrisMortis
2020-12-03, 06:53 PM
It's the frosty version, unfortunately.

Edit: Thur-saged.

Thurbane
2020-12-03, 06:59 PM
It's the frosty version, unfortunately.

Edit: Thur-saged.

Maybe I'll just home-brew a Greater Mantle of the Icy Soul for my game that is instantaneous, and bump it up to Clr 9 / Drd 8 to be in line with Mantle of the Fiery Spirit.

Yogibear41
2020-12-05, 01:49 AM
Planar ranger is another way to apply celestial or fiendish template to AC, both grant resistance to cold.

Maat Mons
2020-12-05, 02:14 PM
Could you instead get the Animal Companion to take a feat that makes it resistant to cold?

Morty_Jhones
2020-12-05, 07:49 PM
You can give them.. Snowrunner (frostburn) for legolass like speed in snow.

I also think theres a a vershion of the Walker/Denzan feats that grants bonuses to saves from cold weather and even more bonuses to servival when dealing with cold/snow but I havent got the books and cant rember its exact name sorry.

Theres also the fevored terain Tundra option for bonuses in snow and cold for ranges and druids.

If your into breading/awakening an animal compaion then, there is the Bloodline feats. Frost blood would give it Cold subtipe and later the option for its own inherant frost magic.