PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Bands of the Void: Nigh Ultimate Power, Itty Bitty Living Space?

iceifur
2020-12-03, 02:35 PM
I was reading through the different veils available to veilweavers in the Akashic Mysteries (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/akashic-mysteries) section of the Spheres of Power wiki (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com) when I came across the Bands of the Void veil in the Stormbound Veils (http://spheresofpower.wikidot.com/stormbound-veils). The Wrists chakra bind for the veil seems a bit off to me.

"Chakra Bind (Wrists): [D7, S8, V8] Binding this veil to your Wrists chakra allows you to tear open a rift in space that leads to your own personal void. Creating this rift takes 1 minute of uninterrupted meditation, after which it opens in an adjacent square. The rift looks like a faint shimmering in the air that is 4 feet wide and 8 feet high. Only those you designate may enter the rift, and the rift is shut and made invisible behind you when you enter. Your personal void is an extradimensional space of inky blackness with an area of 100 cubic feet. For each point of essence invested in this veil, the extradimensional space’s area expands by 10 cubic feet. The rift to this extradimensional space persists until you remove it by meditating for 1 minute, or when you unshape this veil. The extradimensional space contains air and is always a comfortable temperature for you. Items and objects stored within the extradimensional space remain there while it is closed or the veil is unshaped.

When the rift is removed, or this veil is unshaped, suppressed or destroyed, all creatures currently inside the extradimensional space are instantly ejected to squares adjacent to where the rift was last opened. The rift can be sundered as if it was a veil, and successfully doing so suppresses this veil for 1d4 rounds. If you are killed, all items and creatures within the extradimensional space are ejected into adjacent squares."

Okay, so you have a 4' wide, 8' high entryway to an extradimensional space that measures 100 cubic feet, increasing by 10 cubic feet in area per invested essence. Keeping in mind that a 5' cube is 125 cubic feet and the veil talks about creatures being inside the space... am I missing something?

unseenmage
2020-12-03, 06:51 PM
Reads like a case of failure to editing to me. They meant one thing while typed another and nobody caught it. That or it got incorrectly or only partially fixed from a far worse previous state.

icefractal
2020-12-03, 09:35 PM
I've noticed a lot of RPG material doesn't seem to grok the vast difference in volume between "10 cubic feet" and "a 10' cube" (1000 cubic feet).

As written, it is technically possible - you get a roughly 3' deep closet, which would be big enough for one person to stand in comfortably or a few to cram into. In that case there's not much point investing extra essence; each one is adding only 4" of depth.

What I think they might have intended is "ten 10' cubes, plus one per point of essence", which is a decent sized living space. Although again, the scaling by essence feels mostly pointless.