PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Patchwork Creation Mk II [Race]

JNAProductions
2020-12-03, 08:12 PM
Patchwork Creation
A hodgepodge of various biologies, Patchwork Creations are akin to flesh golems, only imbued with a spark of more natural life. Usually made by powerful mages, each one is unique, though not necessarily powerful.

Ability Score Increase
Exceptionally hardy owing to their rough body, your Constitution Score increases by 2. Beyond that, any one other ability score of your choice increases by one, depending on what you're made of.

Each Patchwork Creation lives based on how well constructed they are-a poorly made one might only last a few decades, while one made by a true artist would last centuries or more.

Alignment
Alignment varies, primarily based on their creator and how they're treated. As there are not enough Patchwork Creations to form communities, each is left to make their own.

Size
Built from many bodies and oftentimes larger creatures, you stand usually at least five and a half feet tall, and can reach up to seven feet or more. Your size is Medium.

Speed
Your base speed is 30'.

Darkvision
There's a lot of creatures that can see in the dark. You probably have their eyes. You have Darkvision out to 60'.

Complex Biology
Your body is made of stern stuff, and weird stuff besides. You have resistance to poison damage, and advantage on saves against poisons and diseases.

Languages
You read and speak Common and one other language of your choice.

What You're Made Of
As no two Patchwork creations are alike, you gain one of the following abilities, as well as a second one at level five. Unless otherwise stated, no ability can be picked more than once.

Rough And Tough
You gain an additional 1 HP for every level you have.

Fey Ancestry
You have advantage on saves against being charmed, and magic cannot put you to sleep.

Skilled
You gain proficiency in any one skill. This option may be selected more than once.

Innately Magical
You learn a single cantrip, and may use Constitution or any one mental ability score as your casting stat.

Stand Strong
You have advantage on saves against forced movement, and may use your reaction to halve (rounding down to the nearest 5' increment) any forced movement you receive.

Light And Airy
You have resistance to fall damage.

CoreBrute23
2020-12-04, 12:01 AM
I'm not an expert on homebrewing races, but this just feels off to me. Like you've taken the best parts of different races, elves, humans, warforged, etc and just put them into one class. It feels like they're too many positive features here in comparison to other races.

I'm not sure what is exactly too much, but I definitely think Rough and Tumble needs to go at the very least. That's basically a class feature from the Draconic Sorcerer, and even the Tough Feat in itself.

JNAProductions
2020-12-04, 09:58 AM
I'm not an expert on homebrewing races, but this just feels off to me. Like you've taken the best parts of different races, elves, humans, warforged, etc and just put them into one class. It feels like they're too many positive features here in comparison to other races.

I'm not sure what is exactly too much, but I definitely think Rough and Tumble needs to go at the very least. That's basically a class feature from the Draconic Sorcerer, and even the Tough Feat in itself.

I'm not sure you read it right-by base, they get...

+2 Con/+1 Floating
30' Move Speed
Darkvision
Poison/Disease Resistance

And then ONE option from the What You're Made Of list. A second one at level five.

So, compare to a Hill Dwarf...

+2 Con/+1 Floating
25' Move Speed
Darkvision
Poison Resistance
Weapon Proficiencies
Tool Proficiency
Stonecunning
+1 HP/Level

I guess I can see it being a bit much, so maybe drop the extra ability at level five?

CoreBrute23
2020-12-04, 11:56 AM
I'm not sure you read it right-by base, they get...

+2 Con/+1 Floating
30' Move Speed
Darkvision
Poison/Disease Resistance

And then ONE option from the What You're Made Of list. A second one at level five.

So, compare to a Hill Dwarf...

+2 Con/+1 Floating
25' Move Speed
Darkvision
Poison Resistance
Weapon Proficiencies
Tool Proficiency
Stonecunning
+1 HP/Level

I guess I can see it being a bit much, so maybe drop the extra ability at level five?

30 feet is default, not a bonus or negative. 25 feet is a negative.
poison and damage resistance are two separate positives. Then the 2 bonuses at level 1 and 5. For a total of +4.

Comparison, Hill Dwarves get weapon proficiency, tool proficiency, and the +1HP/level.
Stonecunning is so niche it doesn't even count as a bonus. That's a total of +3.

Not counting darkvision cause both have it.

Additionally, the Dwarf has abilities that are useful out of combat, but all your abilities are designed for combat, making them more weighted in that direction while being pretty unhelpful in the other two pillars of DnD, Exploration and Social Interaction.

Perhaps share it on Reddit for some more feedback, it's just not feeling like a race, at least to me. Hopefully there are more experienced homebrewers out there who can add some actual constructive criticism as opposed to my madness.