PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next Way Of The Chimera [Monk Subclass]

JNAProductions
2020-12-03, 08:22 PM
Way Of The Chimera
Those who follow the Way of the Chimera are, generally, not quite right in the head. It requires a sense of discordance in one's self, a willingness to be other than that which you are. Those who master it have unparalleled flexibility and power-but at what cost?

Chimeric Apparition
Beginning at 3rd level your ability to compartmentalize your mind allows you to channel Ki in a new way.
By spending a point of Ki as a Bonus action you cause two spectral heads to appear. They can take the form of a goat, lion, or dragon. The heads stay manifested for 10 minutes and each provides a different benefit. You decide which two heads appear at the time you use this action. You can dismiss the heads with an action.

Lion. Your unarmed strikes can deal slashing damage. When you use your Flurry of Blows the Lion lets out a ferocious Roar and targets hit by your flurry must succeed on a Charisma save vs your Ki DC or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Goat. You gain a climb speed equal to your speed. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before attacking an enemy you deal additional bludgeoning damage equal to your Martial Arts die.

Dragon. Choose Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid, or Poison. At the start of your turn a foe within 5 feet of you must succeed on a dexterity save vs your Ki DC or suffer damage of the chosen type equal to 2 rolls of your Martial Arts Die as the Dragon head lets forth a burst of elemental breath. When you use your Step of the Wind Feature you gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn. If you do not end your turn in a space that can support you, you fall.

Chimeric Mind
At level six, you learn to dissociate from one's self. You gain advantage on saves against being charmed or frightened.

Chimeric Form
At level six, you are able to cast Alter Self at-will.

Biological Tinkerer
At level eleven, you learn to modify yourself further when using Alter Self. It no longer requires concentration, and you may spend two ki when casting the spell to gain two different effects, rather than one.

Additionally, you gain the following options for that spell:

Spines Of The Manticore
You can create a ridge of spines along your body, capable of being used in melee or thrown as a projectile. These spines work as daggers, save for having their throwing range doubled and counting as an unarmed strike.

Armored Shell
You gain +2 to AC.

Elongated Limbs
Your reach increases by 5'.

Soul Of Many
At level seventeen, you are permanently under the effects of Alter Self. You may switch what option you are using as a bonus action. As part of that action, you may spend one ki to select an additional option to take effect for the next hour, or three ki to pick a total of three different options.

Not totally satisfied with this, but it's worth posting for critique, at least.

CoreBrute23
2020-12-03, 11:48 PM
Some feedback:

1. The level 3 ability is very lackluster. Doesn't really give you anything that helps you be a monk, just an odd advantage. Perhaps make the biological tinkerer ability the level 3 power, or a variation? Most campaigns the level 3 is more likely to be used than the level 11, because many campaigns don't make it past level 10.

2. The description mentions 'power at what cost' but there's no mechanical description or even an implication there might be a cost. Even if it's just for RP, it would be nice to know what cost comes with this style.

JNAProductions
2020-12-04, 10:00 AM
Some feedback:

1. The level 3 ability is very lackluster. Doesn't really give you anything that helps you be a monk, just an odd advantage. Perhaps make the biological tinkerer ability the level 3 power, or a variation? Most campaigns the level 3 is more likely to be used than the level 11, because many campaigns don't make it past level 10.

2. The description mentions 'power at what cost' but there's no mechanical description or even an implication there might be a cost. Even if it's just for RP, it would be nice to know what cost comes with this style.

1) Well, Tinkerer adds on Chimeric Form, so I can't really move it down. But I'm all ears for something new to add to level 3.

2) It's just fluff, mostly-the general idea is that this Tradition is for people who don't have a strong sense of self, or alternatively, have some major repressed issues that can break out.

It's not meant to be an actual, HP or whatever for power subclass.

BerzerkerUnit
2020-12-05, 09:21 AM
Chimerical Mind
Beginning at 3rd level your ability to compartmentalize your mind allows you to channel Ki in a new way.
By spending a point of Ki as a Bonus action you cause two spectral heads to appear. They can take the form of a goat, lion, or dragon. The heads stay manifested for 10 minutes and each provides a different benefit. You decide which two heads appear at the time you use this action. You can dismiss the heads with an action.

Lion. Your unarmed strikes can deal slashing damage. When you use your Flurry of Blows the Lion lets out a ferocious Roar and targets hit by your flurry must succeed on a Charisma save vs your Ki DC or be frightened of you until the end of your next turn.

Goat. You gain a climb speed equal to your speed. When you move at least 10 feet in a straight line before attacking an enemy you deal additional bludgeoning damage equal to your Martial Arts die.

Dragon. Choose Fire, Cold, Lightning, Acid, or Poison. At the start of your turn a foe within 5 feet of you must succeed on a dexterity save vs your Ki DC or suffer damage of the chosen type equal to 2 rolls of your Martial Arts Die as the Dragon head lets forth a burst of elemental breath. When you use your Step of the Wind Feature you gain a fly speed equal to your speed until the end of your turn. If you do not end your turn in a space that can support you, you fall.

The rest can probably stay as it is. I'd move the saving throw buff to L6.

Lion is a nice debuff but useless against some types of foes, Goat is a good boost to damage but only if you're spreading attacks around (great with mobility feat) but less efficient when it comes to action economy which is a balancing factor.

Dragon is a straight damage buff but requires staying close to foes, no synergy with Goat. A nice utility flight, but only when you're sacrificing attacks.

Thank you for the inspiration!

CoreBrute23
2020-12-05, 10:03 AM
That's some really nice stuff Berzerker!

My only notes is that being able to fly at level 3 is a really big boost, even if it uses up like half a bonus action and costs Ki. I'm on the fence about it, but it's less powerful than Aasimar racial flight which they get on the same level. I just can't think of a class that gets flight at such a low level, most that grant it would do so at level 5 at the minimum.

I'm just not sure about that, but I do really like everything Berzerker, well done!

BerzerkerUnit
2020-12-05, 10:39 AM
That's some really nice stuff Berzerker!

My only notes is that being able to fly at level 3 is a really big boost, even if it uses up like half a bonus action and costs Ki. I'm on the fence about it, but it's less powerful than Aasimar racial flight which they get on the same level. I just can't think of a class that gets flight at such a low level, most that grant it would do so at level 5 at the minimum.

I'm just not sure about that, but I do really like everything Berzerker, well done!

Storm Soul Sorc gets flight at level 1, similar to this but when they cast a leveled spell.
The new Psiwarrior gets a 3D movement feature as an action. Very different but still, a fly analogue at level 3 and almost this exact feature at level 7. I'm reasonably certain there's another subclass or two but I'm drawing a blank, but at the end of the day, you're losing action economy and spending Ki to do it so ymmv.

I'll add the bit where if you don't end your turn in a place that can support you, you fall.

JNAProductions
2020-12-05, 11:39 AM
Added the feature wholesale, BU. Thank you!