PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Rolling Combat - Body Swapping One Shot

KyleG
2020-12-04, 05:46 AM
Im going to try something different for a one shot. Im going to put the players (x4) into some Intellectual Devourer (within elves), trapped in a tomb. Old and frail they will 'jump' to new bodies as they become available, and upgrade as the bodies get injured. So thats the start.

The end is where whatever they are now will face off against 3-4 Elite warriors of some sort...sent to put them back in a cage. Maybe Githyanki Kith'rak, i dont know...but i feel like it should give connotations of the Predator from AvsP.

Which just leaves the middle. And this is where i turn to you the community

The current thinking is basically to treat this some what like a pvp, a perpetual battle from when they take their first body (cultists/orcs?) escaping their frail elven ones to when they get to the surface and face off against the jailers. As they make their way up and are injured (no healing...side effect of host/parasite) they attempt to take other hosts based on their personalities (one might be looking for strength based hosts, another dexterous ones and anther might value beauty or females only?)

So what groups could they face on their way up? and do i even need to worry about trying to explain why they are all down here if the idea is just a pvp type combat (but not actual pvp, the four will travel together).

My current idea is maybe they is that first encounter give them the potential for more cultists/orcs and the cambion that broke the seal on the tomb.
At that point they want to recover some device/macguffin (4 personal/different weapons). That area has Creature Set 2, for some possible new bodies, traverse a few traps/maze. Come across some adventurers, aka Creature Set 3, and maybe some other creatures (set 4) looking to also find the magic items. And finally in the corridors/maze just before the exit we play a game of cat and mouse with the jailers/predator types.
If we imagine their first set of bodies as Cambion,An Orc Chief and a couple of Orcs. Maybe face off against some drow even a drider at the weapon area. Maybe the cambion is still ok, maybe they pick up a drider as a body and a drow mage and the orc chief is holding on. Then we meet the adventurers, what do i stat them as? CR 6 something? maybe less but have them face more adventurers. Maybe a couple are now worth taking as hosts.
Set 4 is really there i think if the bodies are a little rough and we need a possible top up before the final battle.

What do you think?