PDA

View Full Version : Can monks in 5e stack multiple effects on the same attack?

H_H_F_F
2020-12-04, 06:47 AM
If a 17th level open hand monk attacks an enemy with a flurry of blows, can they stack multiple effects on the same attack? For example: Monk misses 3 times, their last flurry of blows strike hits. The monk uses open hand technique to knock the enemy prone, spends a Ki point to make it a stunning strike, and spends 3 more to make it quivering palm. Is that legal? Can they stack any effect they have on a hit?

Zhorn
2020-12-04, 07:14 AM
Well, they are all of different names and I don't see anything saying a limit of a single ki expenditure per attack... so maybe?

Droppeddead
2020-12-04, 07:26 AM
Yes. Just like Paladins can stack, for example, Blinding Smite and Divine Smite. :)

ProsecutorGodot
2020-12-04, 08:46 AM
I don't see issue with it rules wise but I'm personally wary of instantaneous and simultaneous effects that change in effectiveness depending on ordering.

In the given example, stunning strike is best first since it causes a possible auto failure on the prone effect. I don't like the idea that a player could be punished for saying words in the wrong order.

It's the tiniest nitpick but it leaves that shadow of a doubt in my mind about possible intent.

H_H_F_F
2020-12-04, 11:30 AM
I don't see issue with it rules wise but I'm personally wary of instantaneous and simultaneous effects that change in effectiveness depending on ordering.

In the given example, stunning strike is best first since it causes a possible auto failure on the prone effect. I don't like the idea that a player could be punished for saying words in the wrong order.

It's the tiniest nitpick but it leaves that shadow of a doubt in my mind about possible intent.

That's a very good point. I haven't thought of that.

Samayu
2020-12-04, 05:50 PM
Or the GM might rule that those penalties are not applied until after all the effects have taken place.

Witty Username
2020-12-06, 01:46 PM

I would rule that since the effects are at the same time their would be no ordering, throw the saves and the relevant effects happen. I wouldn't recommend any order matters optimization.