PDA

View Full Version : DM Help Defensive Spells and Items for Caster NPCs/Villains

Dr. Cliché
2020-12-04, 03:17 PM
Something I'm finding is that there are relatively few defensive spells that can reasonably delay a party for any reasonable length of time during a fight.

e.g. in 2nd edition, Stoneskin outright blocked a set number of attacks, in 3.5 it gave DR10/Adamantine. In 5e, it is overcome by any magic weapons *and* it uses up Concentration.

Aside from Shield/Absorb Elements, are there any good defensive spells that wizard-type NPCs could cast to help them survive for a few rounds against the PCs? Ideally without requiring concentration.

Also, are there any good items that mages might be inclined to use? I'm particularly looking for limited-use items, rather than every mage carrying around a ring of protection, cloak of resistance etc. :smallwink:

Lorka
2020-12-04, 04:41 PM
Invent stuff like a Potion of 50 temp HP, made by boiling the soul of 50 babies. You know villain stuff.

bigstipidfighte
2020-12-04, 06:02 PM
I concur with Lorka.

As a 3e veteran, one of the changes I love about 5e is that the design moved away from using PC rules for NPCs. The Archmage of the monster manual is not a wizard, and the Gladiator is not a fighter. Design is wide open to create a foe with the abilities you want to challenge and entertain your players, without feeling the need to jump through hoops.

That said, the wizard archetype in D&D is presented as squishy. While certain spells might be able to overcome that design, leaning into it is also an option. Giving the wizard guards and having them shun single combat may make more sense for a particular character.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-04, 07:11 PM
Contingency is helpful for the action economy, though it doesn't save your concentration. Also lets you save your Reaction, which increases your survivability.

I'm not really an expert on what contingent spell would be great, but Otiluke's Resilient Sphere; Dimension Door; and Banishment are all good-looking options. Off the top of my head, upcast False Life or Fire Shield might also be helpful.

Edit: an interesting one I just saw: "if I am affected by a spell which I attempted to Counterspell, cast Dispel Magic on me"

Edit: also, check out Tasha's for spell tattoos, a great expendable resource.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2020-12-04, 07:36 PM
Give him a Shield Guardian (https://www.dndbeyond.com/monsters/shield-guardian), preferably give it something like Invisibility so it doesn't get attacked directly.

Bilbron
2020-12-04, 07:45 PM
Something I'm finding is that there are relatively few defensive spells that can reasonably delay a party for any reasonable length of time during a fight.

e.g. in 2nd edition, Stoneskin outright blocked a set number of attacks, in 3.5 it gave DR10/Adamantine. In 5e, it is overcome by any magic weapons *and* it uses up Concentration.

Aside from Shield/Absorb Elements, are there any good defensive spells that wizard-type NPCs could cast to help them survive for a few rounds against the PCs? Ideally without requiring concentration.

Also, are there any good items that mages might be inclined to use? I'm particularly looking for limited-use items, rather than every mage carrying around a ring of protection, cloak of resistance etc. :smallwink:

Have him pop a book with many Glyph of Wardings in it and next thing you know he's Hasted, Polymorphed, Protection from Good/Evil, Stoneskinned, Protection from Energied, etc.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-04, 08:07 PM
Have him pop a book with many Glyph of Wardings in it and next thing you know he's Hasted, Polymorphed, Protection from Good/Evil, Stoneskinned, Protection from Energied, etc.

"If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered."

So, careful with this one - it's definitely a home terrain advantage.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-12-05, 02:25 AM
I was just thinking our group has yet to have a Wizard or Sorcerer who hasn't taken a level of something else that at least gets Medium Armor and a Shield. Perhaps it's time to give the players a bit of their own medicine. If your group hasn't gone down this road perhaps this isn't a good solution, but I think I'm tempted.
To look at this another way, there are a bunch of Fiends in 5e that have great hp and ac and resistances... but little to nothing for spells. They make great villains when you chuck on a couple of spells; that part I know from experience.

Ir0ns0ul
2020-12-05, 02:47 AM

Well, there are the classics Mage Armor and Mirror Image — although I’m not a huge fan of the second because I find the opportunity cost to cast with an action too high, but it’s good.

Blink is a nice option as well. Too dependent on the dice and it also suffers from the same opportunity cost of action casting like Mirror Image, but it’s an ok defensive spell that can considerably increase the survivability of your mage villain.

Bilbron
2020-12-05, 03:31 AM
"If the surface or object is moved more than 10 feet from where you cast this spell, the glyph is broken, and the spell ends without being triggered."

So, careful with this one - it's definitely a home terrain advantage.You can also unlock Glyph of Warding with 1-level Genie Warlock dip (extradimensional vessel) or Demiplane. Also, and this is a little more cheesy but possible RAW so check with your DM about it, but you can also unlock it with Bag of Holding.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-05, 06:05 PM
Misty Step or Dimension Door. They'll need to catch and/or find you first before they can kill you. And DD doesn't need LoS unlike MS, so just 'port, so let's see how long until the adventurers can get into your well-protected bunker 300' underground.