View Full Version : Breaking Tempest Cleric? (Transmuting Damage)

PattThe
2020-12-05, 12:45 AM
Say you have the Metamagic feat for free at character creation and can multiclass at your heart's content.

What creative ways (at any level) can you imagine up where Tempest Cleric's Channel Divinity becomes nuclear?

Transmuted Spell TCE p66 When you cast a spell that deals a type of damage from the following list, you can spend 1 sorcery point to change that damage type to one of the other listed types: acid, cold, fire, lightning, poison, thunder.
Channel Divinity: Destructive Wrath PHB p62 Starting at 2nd level, you can use your Channel Divinity to wield the power of the storm with unchecked ferocity. When you roll lightning or thunder damage, you can use your Channel Divinity to deal maximum damage, instead of rolling.

My example idea involves multiclassing into a Fireball capable class once you have third level spell slots and maximizing the 8d6 while transmuting the damage type to maximize a Tempest Fireball for 48 straight (unlikely to be resisted as you can choose thunder or lightning) to everyone in the area. The channel divinity is able to be activated for free as any ability that deals thunder or lightning damage activates and before rolling dice for damage- not after. Spending a sorcery point on Transmuted Spell is also a free action while casting.

Before anyone else says anything.. Meteor Swarm is strange. I don't know if Transmuted spell works well with effects that deal two types of damage. If you could maximize all of the damage all at once to Lightning or Thunder..

Blazing orbs of fire plummet to the ground at four different points you can see within range. Each creature in a 40-foot-radius sphere centered on each point you choose must make a Dexterity saving throw. The sphere spreads around corners. A creature takes 20d6 fire damage and 20d6 bludgeoning damage on a failed save, or half as much damage on a successful one. A creature in the area of more than one fiery burst is affected only once.

bendking
2020-12-05, 03:52 AM
I've built a build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24325811&postcount=300) using this concept. It might be more optimal as a Draconic Sorcerer or even Clockwork Sorcerer, but Storm Sorcerer was thematic.
Anyway, the way to go is to either MC with Evocation Wizard or some Sorcerer subclass IMO.

PattThe
2020-12-05, 04:21 AM
I've built a build (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24325811&postcount=300) using this concept. It might be more optimal as a Draconic Sorcerer or even Clockwork Sorcerer, but Storm Sorcerer was thematic.
Anyway, the way to go is to either MC with Evocation Wizard or some Sorcerer subclass IMO.

The Izzet guild would be impressed. I never thought to kill someone with maximized wall of fire cheese. Get someone up there with a readied action to shove them back beyond the fire and you really do have a monster. I'm also surprised with the damage out of Chromatic Orb (maximized). So, you can only transmute one type of damage at a time? .. Hmm.. does anything deal some other type of damage in addition to lightning/thunder?

Note: Destructive Wave. Hard to get with a 2 level handicap, but damn. Turn half the damage into thunder then maximize.

bendking
2020-12-05, 05:02 AM
The Izzet guild would be impressed. I never thought to kill someone with maximized wall of fire cheese. Get someone up there with a readied action to shove them back beyond the fire and you really do have a monster. I'm also surprised with the damage out of Chromatic Orb (maximized). So, you can only transmute one type of damage at a time? .. Hmm.. does anything deal some other type of damage in addition to lightning/thunder?

Note: Destructive Wave. Hard to get with a 2 level handicap, but damn. Turn half the damage into thunder then maximize.

In my games, I give Storm Sorcerer Destructive Wave and Malestrom as spells known at 5th level, since I homebrew all the old subclasses to get a bonus spell list.
Besides, Storm Sorcerer kinda sucks anyway, he deserves good spells known on his list.

PattThe
2020-12-05, 05:06 AM
In my games, I give Storm Sorcerer Destructive Wave and Malestrom as spells known at 5th level, since I homebrew all the old subclasses to get a bonus spell list.
Besides, Storm Sorcerer kinda sucks anyway, he deserves good spells known on his list.
I'd consider giving endgame paladin spells to fullcasters as absolute HERESY but storm sorcerer sooo yeah, go for it. Wow... that's truly nuclear.

bendking
2020-12-05, 05:43 AM
I'd consider giving endgame paladin spells to fullcasters as absolute HERESY but storm sorcerer sooo yeah, go for it. Wow... that's truly nuclear.

I mean, it's on the Tempest Cleric bonus spell list already.

Silpharon
2020-12-05, 12:35 PM

Thanks for the link. I like the concept, but Jeremy Crawford has said you can't upcast cantrips, so I don't think the booming blade trick works with heart of the storm unless you're homebrewing. I like the concept though, I'd allow it.

Getting back to the post at hand:

Hellish rebuke upcast to level 9 transmuted and destructive wrath gets 100 flat damage to your attacker (or 50 if they succeed the save).

Heat Metal can do quite a bit of damage upcast without a save.

Honestly, destructive wrath is best with a level 9 Witch Bolt and a 20 Portent roll (216 base lightning damage, with room to grow since it's an attack). That doesn't need transmute though...

ATHATH
2020-12-05, 02:41 PM
Thanks for the link. I like the concept, but Jeremy Crawford has said you can't upcast cantrips, so I don't think the booming blade trick works with heart of the storm unless you're homebrewing. I like the concept though, I'd allow it.
And didn't Tasha's make it impossible to make Warcaster OAs with Booming Blade/GFB?

Witty Username
2020-12-05, 03:07 PM
And didn't Tasha's make it impossible to make Warcaster OAs with Booming Blade/GFB?

No, it does work as it is still a cantrip that targets that creature. It has been clarified that the Self in the range is point of origin rather than target.

To the main point, using scribe wizard allows you to get both the fireball and ability to lightning swap the fireball, for this trick it is probably about even with evoker wizard combo (lose 5 point of damage for a better spell shape). bonus points is most of your spells can be shifted to lightning or thunder damage as needed. Not using Transmute spell directly but getting the same effect.