PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] I need help finding a item from Dragon that lets you buy skill ranks

Jervis
2020-12-05, 02:11 AM
I remember this weird and obscure item from a magazine that i've been wracking my brain trying to find. All i remember of it is that it basically lets you buy ranks in Knowledge Planes for 500 GP a pop. Does anyone remember seeing this? I remember it being in either Dragon or Dungeon.

Bullet06320
2020-12-05, 07:07 AM
Yenejg Togan's Planar Syllabus (Dungeon 88 p 104) grants 6 ranks in Knowledge (the planes)

ShurikVch
2020-12-05, 03:41 PM
Yenejg Togan's Planar Syllabus (Dungeon 88 p 104) grants 6 ranks in Knowledge (the planes)
Correction/elaboration: despite Yenejg Togan's Planar Syllabus - indeed - grants 6 ranks in Knowledge (the planes), it's not the only possible Planar Syllabus
Planar Syllabus isn't an unique item, and other creators able to make similar books
At the top range - Sample Prismatic Dragon (https://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/monsters/dragonEpic.htm#prismaticDragon) (if got Scribe Scroll feat, Contact Other Plane and Legend Lore spells) would be able to create Planar Syllabus which grants 29 ranks in Knowledge (the planes), and costs 14500 gp

There also was some other book (can't remember it right now) which - IIRR - granted number of ranks equal to a reader's Int bonus in Knowledge (the planes) and some other one Knowledge skill. (I. e. something like the Codex Anathema, but just two skills and numbers aren't fixed)

Bullet06320
2020-12-05, 07:19 PM
The Codex Anathema (LoM p 214) grants an inherent +2 int/-2 wis, as well as 5 ranks Knowledge (dungeoneering) and 2 ranks each of Knowledge (arcana) and (the planes)

I originally found both items while working on the alternative ways to get class skills thread, and as far as I know these 2 items are the only items printed in any official or officially licensed source that actually grant skill ranks, everything else just grants a bonus of some type

ShurikVch
2020-12-05, 07:52 PM
I absolutely sure I seen an 1-use item which gives skill ranks in two skills equal to user's Int bonus; IIRR, it was some book/tome/journal/manuscript/etc, and I seen it in some magazine (most likely, Dragon, but Dungeon may be too)
Couldn't find it ever since :smallfrown: