PDA

View Full Version : 3rd dimension plus charging and diving

Falontani
2020-12-05, 05:40 PM
gahhh its hurting my head. Can a barbarian that is charging perform a jump check if the target is on the same level of ground as the barbarian since jumping would cause you to not take the most direct path towards the target.

Then there is flying, can you fly up to meet that 10 ft requirement to dive in the same action as the dive?

Also I thought the Charging required you to take the most direct path towards the target, but I can't find the line now, and I feel like I'm going crazy.

Darrin
2020-12-05, 08:24 PM
gahhh its hurting my head. Can a barbarian that is charging perform a jump check if the target is on the same level of ground as the barbarian since jumping would cause you to not take the most direct path towards the target.m

Yes. Rules Compendium page 27, "Jumping during a Charge":

"You can make a long jump to avoid an obstacle as part of a charge, as long as you continue to meet all other criteria for making a charge before, during, and after the jump."

Then there is flying, can you fly up to meet that 10 ft requirement to dive in the same action as the dive?

No. Same page, "Flying during a Charge":

"A creature that flies can make dive attacks. A dive attack works just like a charge, but the diving creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. It can make only claw or talon attacks, but these deal double damage."

There's no mention of "climbing", only "descend", so by this wording, you're only allowed to make a diving charge if your opponent is already at least 10' below you and you're at least 30' away.

(Note: the aerial movement and "diving charge" rules are kinda spread all over the place, and are not always worded consistently. The RC text here says you can only attack with claws or talons, but some versions of flight allow you to make diving charge attacks with any piercing weapon.)

Also I thought the Charging required you to take the most direct path towards the target, but I can't find the line now, and I feel like I'm going crazy.

PHB p. 154:

"Here's what it means to have a clear path. First, you must move to the closest space from which you can attack the opponent. (If this space is occupied or otherwise blocked, you can’t charge.)"