PDA

View Full Version : For when you REALLY need to hit

moonfly7
2020-12-05, 11:06 PM
So looking over battlemasters older feats in conjunction with tashas I rediscovered precision attack, any ability that lets you flat up add numbers to hit sticks in my mind and seeing it again whilst thinking of artificer got me thinking about the boldness elixers from Alchemist. And thus, a terrible question was born: how many bonuses to hit can you stack into one character?
The briefest of skims and ideas got me this:
Precision attack (either via 1 of the 2 feats that lets you get them nowadays or via levels), let's assume the die is a D8.
Boldness is 1d4 for 1 minute and requires us to go at least 3 levels artificer
Bless can be grabbed via spellwrought tattoo, race, or a feat and gives another 1d4
Archery fighting style gives us +2, again, either fighter or the feat.
Weapon infusion gives +1
If we're an elf or half elf we can grab elven accuracy for extra advantage on top of our advantage
Lucky gives us a means for generating advantage
And a Clockwork Amulet as an infusion gives us a guaranteed 10 once a day for when we can't make it with rolling a dice 3 times and adding our massive bonuses.
Total(with averages): 4.5(maneuver)+2.5(elixer)+2.5(bless)+2(archery)+1( infusion)=+12.5 to your roll. Assuming a completely fair dex modifier of +2 and a prof. Bonus of +3(since we used 1d8 for our maneuver and were also an alchemist so it's at least level 6) you would be looking at around +17.5 to your attack roll/s with double advantage. With your Clockwork Amulet that one snipers shot on the litch's phylactery can now automatically be 27.5 to hit. Enough to shoot the tarrasque at level 6.
Now this jumps to 29.5 to hit with a quite respectable but easily achievable +4 dex and becomes 30.5 at the difficult but still possible to reach +5.
Any ways to improve? Any calculations that gives us an idea of the + bonus equivalent of advantage? I'd love to hear it.

J-H
2020-12-05, 11:19 PM
A Wild Magic Barbarian can add +1d3 on the to-hit roll for 10 minutes as of level 6.

Talionis
2020-12-05, 11:22 PM
You missed Devotion Paladin 3 can add Charisma to hit for a minute.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-05, 11:40 PM
A bard ally for the bardic inspiration die

Vorpalchicken
2020-12-06, 12:59 AM
The peace cleric channel divinity is like a concentration free bless that stacks with bless, one per turn

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-06, 01:07 AM
Isn't there a Cleric that can give you a +10 to attack?
Am I remembering it right?

qube
2020-12-06, 01:12 AM
Isn't there a Cleric that can give you a +10 to attack?
Am I remembering it right?yes: the channel divinity from the war domain.

If we're an elf or half elf we can grab elven accuracy for extra advantage on top of our advantage
Lucky gives us a means for generating advantageActually, lucky doesn't generate advantage, but a symelar effect; which is important as
- it doesn't trigger elven accuracy
- but it does stack with advantage.

You can get advantage by having a familiar (feat or class) that uses the help action.

Any ways to improve? Any calculations that gives us an idea of the + bonus equivalent of advantage? I'd love to hear it.the increase in bonus that advantage (or lucky for that matter) give, is dependant on the hit chance (and thus the target's AC). Rolling 2d20 instead of 1, not talking into accoun auto-hits & auto-misses, is equivalent to

+5 if 50% hit chance
+4.2 if it's 30% or 70%
+2.55 if it's 15% or 85%
+0.95 if it's 5% or 95%

Considering the build is already geared toward an ungodly attack modifier, I'd opt to put those in a different category: in practice they'll just make sure you don't fumble. (which, if you "REALLY" need to hit, is also quite important)

FYI: his also implies that halflings are a decent option over elf; while they don't have access to elven accuracy, they have a ractial ability to reroll 1s.

kazaryu
2020-12-06, 05:15 AM
So looking over battlemasters older feats in conjunction with tashas I rediscovered precision attack, any ability that lets you flat up add numbers to hit sticks in my mind and seeing it again whilst thinking of artificer got me thinking about the boldness elixers from Alchemist. And thus, a terrible question was born: how many bonuses to hit can you stack into one character?
The briefest of skims and ideas got me this:
Precision attack (either via 1 of the 2 feats that lets you get them nowadays or via levels), let's assume the die is a D8.
Boldness is 1d4 for 1 minute and requires us to go at least 3 levels artificer
Bless can be grabbed via spellwrought tattoo, race, or a feat and gives another 1d4
Archery fighting style gives us +2, again, either fighter or the feat.
Weapon infusion gives +1
Lucky gives us a means for generating advantage
And a Clockwork Amulet as an infusion gives us a guaranteed 10 once a day for when we can't make it with rolling a dice 3 times and adding our massive bonuses.
Total(with averages): 4.5(maneuver)+2.5(elixer)+2.5(bless)+2(archery)+1( infusion)=+12.5 to your roll. Assuming a completely fair dex modifier of +2 and a prof. Bonus of +3(since we used 1d8 for our maneuver and were also an alchemist so it's at least level 6) you would be looking at around +17.5 to your attack roll/s with double advantage. With your Clockwork Amulet that one snipers shot on the litch's phylactery can now automatically be 27.5 to hit. Enough to shoot the tarrasque at level 6.
Now this jumps to 29.5 to hit with a quite respectable but easily achievable +4 dex and becomes 30.5 at the difficult but still possible to reach +5.
Any ways to improve? Any calculations that gives us an idea of the + bonus equivalent of advantage? I'd love to hear it.

i mean...if you're using temporary bonuses anyway.
potion of giant size gives you a 25 str (+7 mod)
oil of sharpness makes your weapon +3 (may be unneccesary if you can already get a +3 weapon)
potion of heroism gives you non-concentration bless....

i may or may not be throwing a couple of really low tier enemies at my party that have used several such consumables, taking them from (15hp, +5 to-hit, 1 attack per round, 1d8+3 damage per attack orc commonors) to (80hp (effective) +13 to-hit, 6d6+11+1d4 damager per attack, 3 attacks per round orc behemoths)

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-06, 05:18 AM
oil of sharpness makes your weapon +3 (may be unneccesary if you can already get a +3 weapon)

i may or may not be throwing a couple of really low tier enemies at my party that have used several such consumables, taking them from (15hp, +5 to-hit, 1 attack per round, 1d8+3 damage per attack orc commonors) to (80hp (effective) +13 to-hit, 6d6+11+1d4 damager per attack, 3 attacks per round orc behemoths)
Don't forget, he is using archery.
The bow and the arrow can be both +3 for a sum of +6

BamBam
2020-12-06, 05:21 AM
Don't overlook Portent.

kazaryu
2020-12-06, 05:35 AM
Don't forget, he is using archery.
The bow and the arrow can be both +3 for a sum of +6

ah, that makes sense, which would be ebtter than the potion of giant size.

speaking of giant stuff though...i mean a belt of storm giant strength by itself is a+4 over what anyone can legally achieve before magical weapons bonuses and stuff (not counting barbs) which...i guess still puts it 1 behind archery...hmmm. otoh, if you keep the archery fighting style, and use a dart instead. you can use str. then you'd get a +1 over archery. [+9 (str)+ 6 (prof) +3 (weapon) +2(style)] for a total of like...+20 before temporary bonus'.

another thing i just thought of is...ummmm...there's a iun stone that gives a +1 prof mod. with that you can get up to +21 persistant (as long as you're able to recover your +3 dart). only doesnside is...well you're using a dart...so....

edit: to be fair, with the +4 to damage you're getting from having a 29 str your 1d4 dart is acting more like a 1d12 dart in terms of average damage (like...2d8 technically if you consider that its +3, which sort of helps to balance it. granted its still less damage per hit than you'd get from having a +3 bow firing +3 arrows, but at least its not nothing)

moonfly7
2020-12-06, 08:45 AM
A Wild Magic Barbarian can add +1d3 on the to-hit roll for 10 minutes as of level 6.
See this is why I asked you guys, your more reliable when it comes to finding features. Although not sure if it's worth the 6 level dip for just a d3. Especially because cleric gets me a d4 for 1 level.

You missed Devotion Paladin 3 can add Charisma to hit for a minute.
Crap that's nice, definitley should get that. And if you actually had a good Cha this could propel you even further beyond.

A bard ally for the bardic inspiration die
Yeah I was trying to find a bard that let you inspire yourself to no avail. But this build actually works pretty well as a buffer. Your potion, bless, infusion, peace cleric ability(below) and basic inspiration can all effect another target. And if said target was an archery fighting style battlemaster with elven accuracy and lucky, then you'd have the best of both worlds.

The peace cleric channel divinity is like a concentration free bless that stacks with bless, one per turn
Yeah I missed this too. Honestly it's probably best just to start cleric.

yes: the channel divinity from the war domain.

Actually, lucky doesn't generate advantage, but a symelar effect; which is important as
- it doesn't trigger elven accuracy
- but it does stack with advantage.

You can get advantage by having a familiar (feat or class) that uses the help action.

the increase in bonus that advantage (or lucky for that matter) give, is dependant on the hit chance (and thus the target's AC). Rolling 2d20 instead of 1, not talking into accoun auto-hits & auto-misses, is equivalent to

+5 if 50% hit chance
+4.2 if it's 30% or 70%
+2.55 if it's 15% or 85%
+0.95 if it's 5% or 95%

Considering the build is already geared toward an ungodly attack modifier, I'd opt to put those in a different category: in practice they'll just make sure you don't fumble. (which, if you "REALLY" need to hit, is also quite important)

FYI: his also implies that halflings are a decent option over elf; while they don't have access to elven accuracy, they have a ractial ability to reroll 1s.
Thanks for the math my friend! And yeah war cleric would be nice too. It's really a toss up between it and peace because while it offers a higher bonus Peace has more uses and lasts for more than 1 attack. Since we're focusing on just the 1 attack though a +10 is better for us here. Requires a second cleric level though.

I'd rather stick to just class feature for this but we can go ham into magic items iyems if you want.

kazaryu
2020-12-07, 12:26 AM
I'd rather stick to just class feature for this but we can go ham into magic items items if you want.

ohhhh, i see.....in htat case...i got nothing. well, nothing that hasn't already been mentioned...actually.

if you're going barbarian, then you don't need another source of advantage....but thats all i got.

Silpharon
2020-12-07, 09:59 AM
Divine soul Sorcerer has a 2d4 attack roll bonus at level 1, once per short rest.

kazaryu
2020-12-07, 11:46 AM
Divine soul Sorcerer has a 2d4 attack roll bonus at level 1, once per long rest I believe.

oh true, im literally playing one now, how did i forget. (its 1/sr though)

Silpharon
2020-12-07, 01:43 PM
oh true, im literally playing one now, how did i forget. (its 1/sr though)

Thanks and fixed! :)

someguy
2020-12-07, 08:49 PM
Bardic Inspiration

Hytheter
2020-12-09, 06:23 AM
You considered just casting magic missile? :P

BamBam
2020-12-09, 06:25 AM
You considered just casting magic missile? :P

I like what you say. But, if we have to roll I want a Portent 20.

Samayu
2020-12-10, 10:53 PM
Conquest Paladin, Channel Divinity, Guided Strike, +10 to hit (1/SR, 3rd level)

Yeah, I know, it's only for one attack.

Dork_Forge
2020-12-10, 11:01 PM
Monk: Focused Aim lets you add up to +6 to your attack if you spend 3 Ki

Rogue: Steady Aim lets you generate advantage at will as bonus if you don't move

Fighter Samurai: Fighting Spirit gives advantage as a bonus action for the entire turn

micahaphone
2020-12-11, 01:42 AM
Why use Lucky to generate advantage when you could instead use True Strike?

moonfly7
2020-12-11, 09:23 AM
Why use Lucky to generate advantage when you could instead use True Strike?

You're words cut my soul.