PDA

View Full Version : Homunculus as a Spell-Storing Item

kore
2020-12-06, 01:18 AM
Assuming my Artificer uses a 100gp gem as the object to which her Homunculus Servant is infused, then makes the gem the object for my Spell-Storing Item (because an infused item is a spellcasting focus), and I use my bonus action to command my HS to take an action, would the HS be able to use the action to produce the stored spell's effect?

Lorka
2020-12-06, 05:05 AM
Yes, it’s probably one of the intended combos.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-06, 07:28 AM
RAW, no. You must hold the SSI object to use it, and the gem is inside the homunculus, not a separate object.

Quietus
2020-12-06, 12:18 PM
RAW, no. You must hold the SSI object to use it, and the gem is inside the homunculus, not a separate object.

The creature triggering the SSI must hold it. If that gem is inside the homunculus, I think the homunculus could be said to be holding it, and could therefore use it.

If you personally wanted to have the option to trigger it, you'd probably have to have the gem somehow visible from the outside of the homunculus.

Silpharon
2020-12-06, 03:02 PM
Cool combo! Faerie Fire would be cool here. I like the idea of you giving the servant a new power. :)

aadu
2020-12-07, 12:45 PM

I think that most DM's would allow it.

tokek
2020-12-07, 01:29 PM
Seems perfectly reasonable and balanced.

It sort of plays off the fact that the word "hold" can mean either holding a thing in your hand or a holding a thing in a container. The Homunculus holds the gem more in the sense that a box would hold it, but its hardly an abuse either of the language or the rules so I think it would be a narrow minded DM who did not permit it.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-07, 03:00 PM
Seems perfectly reasonable and balanced.

It sort of plays off the fact that the word "hold" can mean either holding a thing in your hand or a holding a thing in a container. The Homunculus holds the gem more in the sense that a box would hold it, but its hardly an abuse either of the language or the rules so I think it would be a narrow minded DM who did not permit it.

Do you 'hold' your own organs and bodyparts?

Silpharon
2020-12-07, 03:12 PM
Do you 'hold' your own organs and bodyparts?

You can choose the appearance of the servant. It's got a third hand on the inside holding the heart...

Zwordsman
2020-12-07, 09:34 PM
You absolutely can make that gem your spell storing item. And make that gem into a Homunculus.
I suggest using a Pearl; as that also works for Identify.

You can hold your HS (if you choose its form to be one with an exposed pearl) and usue the spell storing.
The HS could not-because it can not hold itself. Which is the main issue. the SSI being a different item it could hold, it could be commanded to use it as a bonus action just fine.

So the main issue with this combo is it can't hold itself.