PDA

View Full Version : TCE Poisoner Feat

Galithar
2020-12-06, 03:46 AM
A vial of basic poison can coat a melee weapon or three pieces of ammunition. Does this hold true for the Potent Poison created by the Poisoner feat in Tasha's? The feat only discusses in terms of doses. In basic poison this is 3 arrows (or other ammunition).

MaxWilson
2020-12-06, 03:56 AM
I believe that's only basic poison, not a general rule for all poisoned ammunition.

Galithar
2020-12-06, 04:10 AM
That was my initial thought. I began to question this when I was unable to find any other rule regarding the application of poison. The poisons in the DMG have their type (injury, inhaled etc) but say nothing about the actions required to do so, or the number of things it would coat. Logic tells me that all poisons should follow the same rules in the absence of a rule saying they don't. Then again, D&D isn't always the most logical thing lol

Kane0
2020-12-06, 04:48 AM
Basic poison sets the precedent but it isnt specified one way or the other. It would make sense to default to the same but a DM could easily rule otherwise.

Galithar
2020-12-06, 04:51 AM
Basic poison sets the precedent but it isnt specified one way or the other. It would make sense to default to the same but a DM could easily rule otherwise.

Thanks. I'll make sure I clarify with my players moving forward how I'll run it, and check with my DM if I plan on using it.

If anyone else is aware of a rule existing elsewhere, or a Crawford tweet or something that discusses please let me know.

Meichrob7
2020-12-06, 01:55 PM
If you can apply it three times then the conjuration wizard trick to get purple worm poison for free (if you’ve seen it before) becomes a lot more useful since it’s a single action every 3 attacks, not an action to buff only one attack.

Witty Username
2020-12-06, 01:58 PM
If you can apply it three times then the conjuration wizard trick to get purple worm poison for free (if you’ve seen it before) becomes a lot more useful since it’s a single action every 3 attacks, not an action to buff only one attack.

Can you make poisons with conjuration wizard? I thought there was debate on the creation of liquids.

Meichrob7
2020-12-07, 12:28 PM
Can you make poisons with conjuration wizard? I thought there was debate on the creation of liquids.

Jeremy Crawford has been laying down some rulings on the new college of creation feature that lets them create an object and extrapolating his calls there and applying them to the Minor Conjuration ability seems to clarify that a vial of poison would count as a single object.

aadu
2020-12-07, 12:40 PM
I feel like most DM's would be alright with this.

Zwordsman
2020-12-07, 11:08 PM
Thats level 2 right?
That would be a good dip for Alchemists with poisoner. rocking green flamme blade or xbow hand

elyktsorb
2020-12-07, 11:34 PM
A vial of basic poison can coat a melee weapon or three pieces of ammunition. Does this hold true for the Potent Poison created by the Poisoner feat in Tasha's? The feat only discusses in terms of doses. In basic poison this is 3 arrows (or other ammunition).

Potent Poison specifically only applies to 1 weapon or 1 piece of ammunition as per the feat's wording "Once applied to a weapon or piece of ammunition"

When you take the feat you can create an amount of 'doses' equal to your proficiency bonus whenever you use the feat. Given that the Poison retains potency for a minute, it's more viable to use on a melee weapon if you have a chance to miss the target, as a piece of ammunition may not be recoverable mid-fight.

TheMango55
2020-12-08, 12:40 AM
Jeremy Crawford has been laying down some rulings on the new college of creation feature that lets them create an object and extrapolating his calls there and applying them to the Minor Conjuration ability seems to clarify that a vial of poison would count as a single object.

Can you link this? When I looked at them recently there was a clear difference. Conjuration wizards can create an “object” which is defined as a discrete singular object like a sword or book, while creation bards can crate an “item” which could be something like a bag of ball bearings or in fact a vial of poison.

https://roll20.net/compendium/dnd5e/Objects