PDA

View Full Version : System for "Magical Discovery" and slow power build up

GameSpawn
2020-12-06, 09:33 AM
Hi everyone, I've been looking to run a campaign where the PCs start in the real modern or slightly pre-modern era and find a connection to another world like the Feywild. There's nothing particularly unique about this premise, which makes me think there may be a better system for this than the ones I know (which is primarily various D&D editions, and to a lesser extent Shadowrun).

I saw this thread (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?623075-Looking-for-System-to-run-a-Modern-Fantasy-setting) which gives some answers about RPGs with a setting like this, but I'm more concerned about mechanics. Specifically, something where the PCs start out as normal people and slowly build to magic/supernatural options, probably going through phases where they're reliant on the occasional rare item they find in someone's attic or something before being able to do magic by themselves.

I appreciate any ideas.

DeTess
2020-12-06, 10:06 AM
I'd personally run it with FATE with a magic system of your own design (fate makes the mechanical side really easy as long as you're willing to properly worldbuild your magic system first). That way the magic is truly mysterious, rather than something 'mysterious' that any player could just look up in a rulebook.

Shinizak
2020-12-06, 01:50 PM
You're looking for a World of darkness campaign for mortals

GameSpawn
2020-12-06, 03:16 PM
I'd personally run it with FATE with a magic system of your own design (fate makes the mechanical side really easy as long as you're willing to properly worldbuild your magic system first). That way the magic is truly mysterious, rather than something 'mysterious' that any player could just look up in a rulebook.

Thanks! I'm poking through Fate-SRD and it looks like if nothing else it's flexible enough that I could use it. As far as my own magic system, is there further guidance on that in the system somewhere, or does it just rely on the generic-ness of the mechanics to create a magic system?

You're looking for a World of darkness campaign for mortals

Do you know where I could find that? I see World of Darkness has a few different products on their site, but I don't see campaigns for mortals specifically. Is it part of a larger product?

GloatingSwine
2020-12-06, 03:28 PM
Do you know where I could find that? I see World of Darkness has a few different products on their site, but I don't see campaigns for mortals specifically. Is it part of a larger product?

They may still do a World of Darkness introductory book where this is basically the whole point. You make mortal characters (or ones who think they're mortal) and the intention is that you use it to run adventures where they discover the supernatural world and maybe their place in it.

It's also basically the whole point of Call of Cthulhu.

DeTess
2020-12-07, 12:50 PM
Thanks! I'm poking through Fate-SRD and it looks like if nothing else it's flexible enough that I could use it. As far as my own magic system, is there further guidance on that in the system somewhere, or does it just rely on the generic-ness of the mechanics to create a magic system?

A mix of both. FATE has something called 'extras' which can be used for anything from fancy equipment to magic powers. But you can make those as involved as you want, from a very simple 'fireball, use mental skill X as an offensive skill in combat' to a magic power that has 3-4 aspects and associated stunts of its own that can both be used by the user, but also against them.

One Step Two
2020-12-07, 07:09 PM

Using the Chronicles of Darkness (otherwise known as New World of Darkness), the core rules are when you begin life as a mortal, and discover the veil around the world and learn magic is real, as are creatures that go bump in the night. I am not super familiar with it as the older systems, but the mechanics are solid. For Classic World of Darkness, I would suggest using the Mage: The Ascension 20th anniversary, starting everyone off with an Arete(magic power level) of 1, as the inheritors of magic, they can access it and begin to experience some of the effects.

For either one: blatantly ignore the meta-plot and traditions from the book, and use the raw magic systems involved. In essence, you'd be using the rules as if everyone was an Orphan (to use the classic world of darkness term) which means that they have their own tricks to focus on magic, rather than specific trappings of the various magical conclaves. Paradox is used as a backlash to spells, by default reality is re-asserting itself vs overt magical effects, you can use it as is, or as a method to show players magical accidents.

Martin Greywolf
2020-12-09, 07:01 PM
A mix of both. FATE has something called 'extras' which can be used for anything from fancy equipment to magic powers. But you can make those as involved as you want, from a very simple 'fireball, use mental skill X as an offensive skill in combat' to a magic power that has 3-4 aspects and associated stunts of its own that can both be used by the user, but also against them.

Easiest solution is to have a separate magic skill, you avoid the one skill to rule them all that way.

That said, my additional point is that with FATE, your in-universe ruleset is more important than the mechanical one. If we take something like Avatar the Last Airbender, it uses a Fight skill for elemental magic, and that's basically it from pure mechanics perspective. That has some explicit effects right there - for one, all wizards are accomplished martial artists, no exception.

But, the real limitations exist within the universe itself - you need an element to use the corresponding magic, except fire, you can only heal with water you can only achieve flight with some sort of powerup and so on. Things like maximum range and AoE also fall into this category - a firebender may barbecue a squad, but probably not a platoon, and definitely not an army.