PDA

View Full Version : EarthShaker (a homebrew fighter archetype)

Dardartan
2020-12-06, 10:15 AM
Guys, I'm a not so new player on 5e dnd that is trying to create a cool but fair subclass to complement my minotaur fighter. What do you think of this one? Is it crazy overpowered? What can I do to make it balanced wile keeping to the idea of the word EarthShaker
Also, be free to correct my typing erros, english is not my primary language.

Path of the Earthshaker

Earthshaker class DC = 8 + you proficiency modifier + you constitution modifier.

Unmovable
Starting At 3rd level, While standing on stable ground(earth, roads, the floor of a house) you gain advantage on saves to keep your balance or resist forced movement.

Boulder Throw
When you select this archetype at 3rd level you gain the ability to throw boulder that are at least one size smaller than you as a action. they count as simple throwable weapons that deal 1d10 of blunt damage. You can take a chunk of solid ground whithin 5feet (1,5m) of you to use a boulder as a bonus action long, as long as it is unoccupied ground.

Earth Tremor
Also at 3rd level, You gain the ability to cause a tremor in the ground within 10 feet of you(3m). Each creature other than you in that area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, a creature takes 1d6 bludgeoning damage and is knocked prone. If the ground in that area is loose earth or stone, it becomes difficult terrain until cleared, with each 5-foot-diameter portion requiring at least 1 minute to clear by hand. This ability can only be used once per short or long rest. at 7th,10th,15th and 18th level, increase the damage of earth tremor by 1d6.

------------------------------------

At 7th level increase the size of the boulders you can throw by one category and another one at level 15th. now When a creature is hit by a boulder that is of the same size or bigger then them they also have to be successful on a strength saving throw or be knocked prone.

Small - 1d10
Medium - 2d10
Large - 3d10
Huge - 4d10
Colossal - 5d10

Beginning at 10th level every time you use your Indomitable class feature, if you already didn't have one, you regain a use of Earth Tremor

Earth Shaper
At 15th level you can as a action touch a stone object of Medium size or smaller or a section of stone no more than 5 feet in any dimension and form into any shape that suits your Purpose. So, for example, you could shape a large rock into a weapon, idol, or coffer, or make a Passage through a wall, as long as the wall is less than 5 feet thick. You could also shape a stone door or its frame to seal the door shut. The object you create can have up to two hinges and a latch, but finer mechanical detail isn't possible.

When you reach 18th level You gain the ability to, once per long rest, create a seismic disturbance around you. In a instant, an intense tremor rips through the ground in a 100-foot- radius circle centered on you and shakes creatures and structures in contact with the ground in that area.

The ground in the area becomes Difficult Terrain. Each creature on the ground that is concentrating must make a Constitution saving throw. On a failed save, the creature's Concentration is broken.

When you use this ability, each creature on the ground in the area must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature is knocked prone.

This ability can have additional Effects depending on the terrain in the area, as determined by the DM.

Fissures. Fissures open throughout the spell's area at the start of your next turn after you used the ability. A total of 1d6 such fissures open in locations chosen by the DM. Each is 1d10 x 10 feet deep, 10 feet wide, and extends from one edge of the spell's area to the opposite side. A creature standing on a spot where a fissure opens must succeed on a Dexterity saving throw or fall in. A creature that successfully saves moves with the fissure's edge as it opens. A fissure that opens beneath a structure causes it to automatically collapse (see below).

Structures. The tremor deals 50 bludgeoning damage to any structure in contact with the ground in the area when you use this ability. If a structure drops to 0 Hit Points, it collapses and potentially damages nearby creatures. A creature within half the distance of a structure's height must make a Dexterity saving throw. On a failed save, the creature takes 5d6 bludgeoning damage, is knocked prone, and is buried in the rubble, requiring a DC 20 Strength (Athletics) check as an action to Escape. The DM can adjust the DC higher or lower, depending on the Nature of the rubble. On a successful save, the creature takes half as much damage and doesn't fall prone or become buried.

At 18th level you also becomes immune to the effects of an earth Tremor, but not to it's conseguenses, like a building falling over you.

The first thing I thought to make it balanced was to simple remove the Bolder Throw ability.

sandmote
2020-12-13, 04:07 PM
I would just have Earth Tremor, Earth Shaper, and the unnamed 18th level feature just say "you can cast the Earth Tremor/Stone Shape/Earthquake spell," just so it is clearer what the ability does.

For boulder throw you don't list a range (it doesn't tell you how far you can throw the boulder). The fact you need to use an action to throw the boulder makes it fine at 3rd level, but honestly a bit weak once you reach 11th level.

At 7th level, I'd say you can throw the boulder harder instead of throwing a bigger one. Then you can increase the damage at 7th, 10th, and 18th level: this is close to when your fighter gets extra attacks, and should help the boulder throw stay useful at all levels.

Otherwise this is fairly simple and I don't see it breaking anything.