PDA

View Full Version : Examples of adventures/modules with polymorphed NPCs.

Clistenes
2020-12-06, 03:06 PM
I have been reading some threads about the limits of what you can do with True Polymorph. Posters in these threads almost always speak about what they believe PCs are allowed to do...

But, I wonder, what published examples we have of NPCs using True Polymorph in imaginative ways? That could give us a clue about what the developers of the game intended to be feasible when they designed the game...

MaxWilson
2020-12-06, 03:14 PM
I have been reading some threads about the limits of what you can do with True Polymorph. Posters in these threads almost always speak about what they believe PCs are allowed to do...

But, I wonder, what published examples we have of NPCs using True Polymorph in imaginative ways? That could give us a clue about what the developers of the game intended to be feasible when they designed the game...

Since when have adventure writers ever constrained themselves to using spells by RAW/RAI? Adventure writers typically do the opposite: choose how they want things to work and then come up with whatever justification they need, or even don't bother. IIRC one of the adventures has a permanently Polymorphed wizard who's now a spellcasting beast (weasel or something), despite the fact that 5E doesn't have a way to make regular Polymorph permanent nor does Polymorph let you retain spellcasting in beast shape. I could be misremembering the details (it's from an adventure I don't own) but this kind of thing is par for the course. Storm King's Thunder has one spellcaster with _multiple_ Simulacra. Etc.