PDA

View Full Version : Jedi build in 5e

moonfly7
2020-12-06, 07:46 PM
So with Tashas Psionic feats and subclasses and the other stuff added in Tashas I think it's really possible to build a pretty accurate Jedi knight in 5e, anybody got any ideas?

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-06, 08:07 PM
It's just a Dex Psi Warrior with Telekinetic feat, isn't it?

Optionally up to 4 levels of Monk for more martial arts if that's your bag.

moonfly7
2020-12-06, 08:21 PM
It's just a Dex Psi Warrior with Telekinetic feat, isn't it?

Optionally up to 4 levels of Monk for more martial arts if that's your bag.

I mean, fair, but there's plenty of other stuff to consider, multiple different force abilities exist, plus soul knife could make a pretty awesome Lightsaber.
But force healing, force lightning, force choke, Jedi mindtrick, force jump. All are also options. But I suppose you are mostly correct.

Draz74
2020-12-06, 09:08 PM
force jump

Psi Warrior definitely has that.

The others you mention bear some thoughts of multiclassing though.

moonfly7
2020-12-06, 09:13 PM
Psi Warrior definitely has that.

The others you mention bear some thoughts of multiclassing though.
Yeah I ended up rechecking psiwarrior after the fact and noticed I had the bigdumb because it's 7th level ability is literally force jump. I had expected to multiclass for at least some of this although after seeing it again I can agree that psi-warrior really does make a respectable Jedi on its own, and an excellent core to jump off of.

TyGuy
2020-12-06, 09:22 PM
plus soul knife could make a pretty awesome Lightsaber.

Sunblade is the perfect lightsaber. I mean, it stinks having a build require a specific item if it's uncertain it will be obtained. But there you have it.

RingoBongo
2020-12-06, 09:24 PM
I am making a bladesinger peace cleric right now that a visualize as jedi-like. The cleric adds that pseudo-bless, plus actual bless ... He's in tune with the force and adds accuracy, then when extra attack comes on line I will be using yes, alot of booming blade, but also the cantrips, shocking grasp, ray of ice, lightning lure.... And then to top it off, variant human starting with telekinetic. The swing of the sword (perhaps shadow blade, plus a maneuverability cantrip, and a telekinetic shove)

Then later in the game you can do some really nasty tricks with the force when you start to access high level spells. Literally, look at all the wizards spells and ask yourself-- would a jedi be able to do that? would my style of jedi want that?

moonfly7
2020-12-06, 10:42 PM
Sunblade is the perfect lightsaber. I mean, it stinks having a build require a specific item if it's uncertain it will be obtained. But there you have it.
Yeah, I totally agree on it. Luckily all my DMs are very nice about this kind of thing, the moment they start handing out items of that rarity it'll be the first on the list.

I am making a bladesinger peace cleric right now that a visualize as jedi-like. The cleric adds that pseudo-bless, plus actual bless ... He's in tune with the force and adds accuracy, then when extra attack comes on line I will be using yes, alot of booming blade, but also the cantrips, shocking grasp, ray of ice, lightning lure.... And then to top it off, variant human starting with telekinetic. The swing of the sword (perhaps shadow blade, plus a maneuverability cantrip, and a telekinetic shove)

Then later in the game you can do some really nasty tricks with the force when you start to access high level spells. Literally, look at all the wizards spells and ask yourself-- would a jedi be able to do that? would my style of jedi want that?
I think a caster class is probably ideal for this, though probably as a multiclass out of psychic warrior because it really does fit the best. Although I will admit to being tempted quite heavily by Monk. Unarmored AC and a lot of the other abilities it has do fit a Jedi quite nicely. Ironically it's core features, Flurry of blows and Martial Arts, doesn't fit it at all, but that's not a requirement to use a monk effectively, especially when we're considering that I'm using it to supplement an existing play style.

XmonkTad
2020-12-06, 10:48 PM

One better is just a re-fluffed shadow blade. Tasha's explicitly says that you get to fluff your spell's appearance as long as they don't look like a different spell, so a "shadow blade" can be a green glowing stick if you want.

RSP
2020-12-06, 11:16 PM
One better is just a re-fluffed shadow blade. Tasha's explicitly says that you get to fluff your spell's appearance as long as they don't look like a different spell, so a "shadow blade" can be a green glowing stick if you want.

Second this. A Bladesinger makes a great Jedi; their SB as their lightsaber. Just pick spells that fall in line with whatever Jedi powers you want to be able to emulate.

Arkhios
2020-12-06, 11:33 PM

Well, it's fairly fitting lorewise. Technically, if your character has proficiency in Arcana and knows the appropriate formula, a would-be-jedi could create their own Sun Blade as a real jedi should;

After all, it's traditional they make their own lightsabers as a means of "graduation" from Padawan to Knight.

Inheritor background would provide the perfect template for a Jedi: gives proficiency in Arcana and your inheritance object or item can be an arcane book or formulary, describing the methods to create their signature weapon.

CMCC
2020-12-06, 11:38 PM
I’ve put hours into this over the weekend including listing out every single Jedi power, limiting to the powers in the trilogies (mentioned or seen) then finding equivalent powers/spells in the game.

I’ve yet to see a single person in all the dozens of “Jedi” builds nail the three most important classes to build.

Nope not monk (although flavor is kind of there). Unarmed defense and deflect missiles can be done better with other classes. Plus, force users use armor.

Not Paladin (although the oath is there).

The key class is....

Hmm maybe I’ll have to write up this bad boy in a guide if I have some time. It would be a guide to “force users” not just Jedi.

Second this. A Bladesinger makes a great Jedi; their SB as their lightsaber. Just pick spells that fall in line with whatever Jedi powers you want to be able to emulate.

Bladesinger works a bit with the new tashas 6th lvl ability. But war magic is actually more in line with the Jedi powers.

kingcheesepants
2020-12-06, 11:46 PM
I mean, fair, but there's plenty of other stuff to consider, multiple different force abilities exist, plus soul knife could make a pretty awesome Lightsaber.
But force healing, force lightning, force choke, Jedi mindtrick, force jump. All are also options. But I suppose you are mostly correct.
I'd agree a dex psi warrior with the telekinetic feat seems like a great start but we need to think about the closest analogies to the various force powers and how to most efficiently get them.

force healing - cure wounds. magic initiate cleric/druid/bard/artificer.
force choke - I can't really think of anything that does this off the top of my head
Jedi mindtrick - Suggestion. Race Yuan-ti or Tiefling Bloodline of Fierna. Or have access to 2nd level spells
force Jump - Psi powered leap. Psi warrior 7
force lightning - chain lightning. Be a spellcaster with 6th level spells.
Reflect blaster bolts - nothing that's particularly like this except maybe the monk ability to catch projectiles?

I'm sure we can think of some more spells/abilities that are pretty close to what Jedis do but these are the ones that I can think of off the top of my head.

I'd say if you want to emulate the movie Jedi who don't have a crazy number of powers then I'd just go straight Psi warrior and pick Fierna Tiefling as your race so you can pick up friends, charm person and suggestion without needing to invest in multiclassing and then pick up telekinetic as your first feat and maybe magic initiate druid/cleric as another feat if you want to be able to heal. If you want to emulate the game/comic Jedi that have way more powers than I'd probably go bladesinger wizard or swords bard.

TyGuy
2020-12-07, 12:25 AM
Shadow blade deals psychic damage.
Sunblade deals radiant and has a physical hilt from which the blade of light emerges.
Gonna have to respectfully disagree that shadow blade is a better lightsaber.

SLOTHRPG95
2020-12-07, 01:17 AM
Kensei Monk with a Sunblade already gets you most of the way. Or maybe a Sword of Sharpness if you care less about the aesthetic of your signature sword and more about its impact on objects and limbs alike.

Droppeddead
2020-12-07, 03:55 AM
So with Tashas Psionic feats and subclasses and the other stuff added in Tashas I think it's really possible to build a pretty accurate Jedi knight in 5e, anybody got any ideas?

There are a bunch of ways to play Jedi-like characters. Tulok the youtuber has a bunch of fun suggestions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LRy2fV0gU1s&list=PLtsZtQuHu0PEK0dhpO4eGNVizWGaYqXdS

RSP
2020-12-07, 06:43 AM
Sunblade deals radiant and has a physical hilt from which the blade of light emerges.

Keep in mind, lightsabers don’t provide 15-30’ of bright light.

SB is also within the control of the PC, getting a specific magic item, is not; which is why I believe it is a good suggestion for those seeking to play a Jedi-type character.

Draz74
2020-12-07, 07:12 AM
force lightning - chain lightning. Be a spellcaster with 6th level spells.
Nah, force lightning isn't much like chain lightning at all (range, number of targets, ability to avoid friendly fire). It's more like witch bolt, honestly, which is Level 1.

That does remind me of a canonical power no one has mentioned, though -- Yoda's ability to "catch" force lightning. Counterspell? Or just a fluffed Absorb Elements?

Reflect blaster bolts - nothing that's particularly like this except maybe the monk ability to catch projectiles?
Reflecting the bolts is relatively rare compared to just deflecting them, which is probably best represented by the Defensive Duelist feat.

Fierna Tiefling as your race
It would be very nice to have no racial assumptions, or at least Tasha's Custom Lineage, for a Jedi build, considering the racial diversity they have in the movies.

Meichrob7
2020-12-07, 07:13 AM
Went in depth with a dude trying to make a Yoda build ages ago and he idea we had was to use mike merels acrobat rogue and the graviturgy wizard to leap at someone and slash them with green flame blade, which would activate sneak attack and push them back 5 feet because it’s a spell and thus activates graviturgy wizard’s 6th level feature. Then you’d dash as a bonus action and fly back to your starting point.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 07:27 AM
Unpopular opinion: there is not one build for Jedi/Sith/Force User, all of them have different capacities and as such should be represented differently.

Draz74
2020-12-07, 07:36 AM
Great Old One warlock actually seems like it may fit as a class to pick up witch bolt and suggestion from. Telepathy isn't quite canon from the movies, but seems reasonable for a Force user, although bypassing a common language need is a bit much. Tasha's hideous laughter could sort of be refluffed as Force Choke. Pact of the Blade is another way to represent a lightsaber. If you go all the way to Level 6, Entropic Ward is another way to represent deflecting and even reflecting a blaster attack.

EDIT: Maybe Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is just better. It still provides witch bolt and suggestion. Tasha's mind whip might be a better Force Choke? Although it has to be re-cast each round to be maintained. The telepathy feature fits better than the warlock's. Magical Guidance, Psionic Sorcery, and Psychic Defenses all seem appropriate.

EDIT2: Of course either of these abilities are competing with just going Wizard, either Bladesinging or War Magic, which seem like decent options for the Force too.

Draz74
2020-12-07, 07:51 AM
Gotta agree with this reasoning.

Keep in mind, lightsabers don’t provide 15-30’ of bright light.
No, but they do provide some light, and don't necessarily work better in dark conditions. So that's two strikes against shadow blade.

RSP
2020-12-07, 07:55 AM
No, but they do provide some light, and don't necessarily work better in dark conditions. So that's two strikes against shadow blade.

Fluff as you’d like; but one option fulfills the character concept at level 3, the other may never get fulfilled.

Galithar
2020-12-07, 08:35 AM
Fluff as you’d like; but one option fulfills the character concept at level 3, the other may never get fulfilled.

You can EASILY have a jedi without a lightsaber. That's more like the frosting on the Jedi cake. Hell take yourself back to the Je'daii origins and lightsabers weren't even a thing. I realize that most people aren't a big enough Star Wars need to go outside the movies, games, and maybe a few very mainstream books, but it's still a thing in the expanded universe/Legends.

So yes that comes on earlier, but it's not actually any better of a representation of a ligbtsaber than any other sword, and less so if you make a "balanced in the force' Je'daii

Sception
2020-12-07, 08:40 AM

Are you trying to translate the jedi as they exist in star wars into D&D? Then yeah, dex primary psychic warrior with telekinetic.

Alternatively, are you trying to rebuild the jedi as they would be if they existed in the D&D universe all along? Because in that case what you want is paladins. Just paladins. They're knights, they operate in knightly orders, blend martial and supernatural powers, adhere to rigid and generally not especially realistic codes of conduct, have a strong 'light vs. darkness' theme, when they fail to live up to their rigid code they have a tendency to snap like a rubber band all the way down into pure evil rather than just sliding into comfortable neutrality. They're strong willed in the sense of being super charismatic but not especially bright or wise as a rule.

Paladins don't directly translate the surface level trappings of jedi - they generally prefer heavy armor rather than robes, strength rather finess, their abilities are more traditionally magical rather than psionic, they don't all use the same glowy swords, etc. But thematically and in terms of their place in the world they are far closer than any attempt at direct translation would be.

And that's because they are both adapted from the same source material - the knights of the round table in arthurian legend, where as a psionic warrior is based instead on the jedi themselves, which ironically makes them feel further removed from the thematic identity of the jedi because they're an extra step removed from the core concept that the jedi themselves are emulating.

Basically, You've got arthurian knights. Then you've got paladins, which are arthurian knights in D&D, and jedi that are arthurian knights in space. And finally you've got psionic warriors, which are arthurian knights in space... in D&D, and that extra level of removal imo only serves to muddle the narrative core. Not that I dislike psionic warriors, mind, on a mechanical level they're neat, I just think to feel natural in the world they need to be given a narrative identity distinct from the arthurian knightly order roots that already have more direct translations within the D&D world, and giving them that distinct narrative identity will inevitably fundamentally remove them from the Jedi that are so tied to those roots.

For the record, I also think paladins (specifically conquest or vengeance paladins) are also a more thematically fitting adaptation of Batman to D&D than any attempt to directly translate his ability set via monk, rogue, and/or artificer levels. Batman is thematically a knight - an warrior aristocrat charged with the defense of the village that prospers adjacent to his castle - and thus classical knightly classes are the best thematic fit, with paladin working best because of the broader skill set and especially because of the unwavering commitment to a defining mission and code. Maybe multiclassed with a bit of bard to reflect the bruce wayne half of the dual identity while further diversifying his skill set.

moonfly7
2020-12-07, 09:03 AM
I’ve put hours into this over the weekend including listing out every single Jedi power, limiting to the powers in the trilogies (mentioned or seen) then finding equivalent powers/spells in the game.

I’ve yet to see a single person in all the dozens of “Jedi” builds nail the three most important classes to build.

Nope not monk (although flavor is kind of there). Unarmed defense and deflect missiles can be done better with other classes. Plus, force users use armor.

Not Paladin (although the oath is there).

The key class is....

Hmm maybe I’ll have to write up this bad boy in a guide if I have some time. It would be a guide to “force users” not just Jedi.

Bladesinger works a bit with the new tashas 6th lvl ability. But war magic is actually more in line with the Jedi powers.
Post it when you've got it my friend, and add a link here when you can.

Unpopular opinion: there is not one build for Jedi/Sith/Force User, all of them have different capacities and as such should be represented differently.
No, no, it's not an opinion if you're right. I need to be more specific on what the specific Jedi I'm playing can do. Force specialties, Type of Jedi, all that important stuff.

Great Old One warlock actually seems like it may fit as a class to pick up witch bolt and suggestion from. Telepathy isn't quite canon from the movies, but seems reasonable for a Force user, although bypassing a common language need is a bit much. Tasha's hideous laughter could sort of be refluffed as Force Choke. Pact of the Blade is another way to represent a lightsaber. If you go all the way to Level 6, Entropic Ward is another way to represent deflecting and even reflecting a blaster attack.

EDIT: Maybe Aberrant Mind Sorcerer is just better. It still provides witch bolt and suggestion. Tasha's mind whip might be a better Force Choke? Although it has to be re-cast each round to be maintained. The telepathy feature fits better than the warlock's. Magical Guidance, Psionic Sorcery, and Psychic Defenses all seem appropriate.

EDIT2: Of course either of these abilities are competing with just going Wizard, either Bladesinging or War Magic, which seem like decent options for the Force too.
Yeah I'm avoiding telepathy if I can, I know cannonically(in Legends which I personally never stopped acknowledging as cannon) that some Jedi have it but it doesn't fit the style I'm going for here. The extent of the "psychic" abilities I want to use are more empathic than psychic. Calm Emotions rates pretty high on "list of spells useful for a Jedi" Obviously suggestion too. But my question is is witchbolt more like Force Lightning than Litghning bolt or Chain Lightning? Lightning bolt isn't continuous so I totally get that one, but I'm not sure about Chain, although with level requirements Witch bolt is better.

You can EASILY have a jedi without a lightsaber. That's more like the frosting on the Jedi cake. Hell take yourself back to the Je'daii origins and lightsabers weren't even a thing. I realize that most people aren't a big enough Star Wars need to go outside the movies, games, and maybe a few very mainstream books, but it's still a thing in the expanded universe/Legends.

So yes that comes on earlier, but it's not actually any better of a representation of a ligbtsaber than any other sword, and less so if you make a "balanced in the force' Je'daii

Ah, I see you are a man of culture as well.
Seriously though it's nice to see somebody who knows stuff about Legends. I used to read the old cannon a bunch but my knowledge isn't 100% so if you notice any abilities I leave out that you think fit my build after I post which abilities I'm emulating below, please suggest them too me.

Klorox
2020-12-07, 09:18 AM

100% this.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 09:26 AM
And that's because they are both adapted from the same source material - the knights of the round table in arthurian legend, where as a psionic warrior is based instead on the jedi themselves, which ironically makes them feel further removed from the thematic identity of the jedi because they're an extra step removed from the core concept that the jedi themselves are emulating.

Basically, You've got arthurian knights. Then you've got paladins, which are arthurian knights in D&D, and jedi that are arthurian knights in space. And finally you've got psionic warriors, which are arthurian knights in space... in D&D

Jedi are far, far more Samurai from old Samurai movies than they are Arthurian Legend knights.

There is basically no Arthurian influence on the Jedi, aside from a few instances that could be inspired by courtly love (Obi-Wan and Duchess Satine, as the main example).

Alternatively, are you trying to rebuild the jedi as they would be if they existed in the D&D universe all along?

If you want to represent that, Jedi should be a Background, or a Faction/Group Patron. Not a specific class.

Seriously though it's nice to see somebody who knows stuff about Legends. I used to read the old cannon a bunch but my knowledge isn't 100% so if you notice any abilities I leave out that you think fit my build after I post which abilities I'm emulating below, please suggest them too me.

Well, thing is, the reason why Jedi became associated with the lightsaber is because the lightsaber is actually an incredibly terrible weapon for anyone but a Force user.

As in, you literally needs to have a Force user's prescience to be able to counter the lightsaber's strong and chaotic gyroscopic effect.

There is a reason why Jedi tends to wield a weapon with a weightless blade with two hands, and the reason is "to manage to actually keep the weapon from going where you don't want it to go, like your own throat".

So yeah, lightsabers are visually cool. can cut through a lot and redirect blaster fire, but without the Force you're better off wielding a live viper.

ZRN
2020-12-07, 09:36 AM

Basically, You've got arthurian knights. Then you've got paladins, which are arthurian knights in D&D, and jedi that are arthurian knights in space.

Hmm, what? What makes you think Jedi are Arthurian knights? They're pretty clearly inspired by a combination of Errol Flynn swashbuckling and Kurosawa samurai.

I guess in the sense that they were an order of "good" knights that eventually fell? But that doesn't really work, either. The Arthurian knights fell because of infidelity and incest, not because of some ancient order of evil knights. And they were only around for one generation before the fell, not thousands of years like the Jedi Order.

Honestly you'd be just as close saying that Jedi should be the Swashbuckler or the Samurai with the Telekinetic and maybe Telepathic feats. (And mechanically, those would make a lot more sense.)

ZRN
2020-12-07, 09:38 AM
Also, it definitely makes sense for the lightsaber to be a magic item at the DM's discretion, because lightsabers in Star Wars are, in fact, rare and powerful items, and it should feel important to get one.

Sception
2020-12-07, 09:46 AM
Luke is King Arthur in space. A boy with an unknown heritage, special magic sword, wizard/druid mentor, grows up and assumes his rightful place restoring order to the world. For all the (often valid) complaints about Luke's portrayal in the Last Jedi, it stays true (maybe too true) to the source material in that the good times eventually fell apart due to hubris and family drama, causing him to disappear to a hidden island tied to the mystical origins of his order, eventually returning one last time to save the day when all hope seems lost.

Yeah there's samurai movie references thrown in, and a bunch of stuff copied wholesale from campbell, and EU stuff added some more original business that the films always ignored, but arthurian knights are absolutely at the core conceptual identity of the jedi, particularly when it comes to the code and the tendency of jedi who fail to live up to the code to instead go full sith/blackguard/mordred.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 10:09 AM
Luke is King Arthur in space. A boy with an unknown heritage, special magic sword, wizard/druid mentor, grows up and assumes his rightful place restoring order to the world. For all the (often valid) complaints about Luke's portrayal in the Last Jedi, it stays true (maybe too true) to the source material in that the good times eventually fell apart due to hubris and family drama, causing him to disappear to a hidden island tied to the mystical origins of his order, eventually returning one last time to save the day when all hope seems lost.

Yeah there's samurai movie references thrown in, and a bunch of stuff copied wholesale from campbell

"Boy of an unknown heritage with a special magic sword and an old mentor, who grows up and restaur order of the world" isn't "King Arthur", it's a thousand heroes in legends and folklore. As Campbell noted (which then lead to his extremely flawed hypothesis of the monomyth).

but arthurian knights are absolutely at the core conceptual identity of the jedi,

They absolutely are not.

particularly when it comes to the code and the tendency of jedi who fail to live up to the code to instead go full sith/blackguard/mordred.

This is not an especially Arthurian trope. In fact in Arthurian legends, failing to live up the chivalric ideals was the default (as it happens repeatedly for all knights except for Galahad), and most Arthurian knights did not go full bad guys from doing so.

You're attributing elements that are far more common than that to the Arthurian legend specifically, and in a context that doesn't apply to the Arthurian legend.

Neither George Lucas nor any of the Star Wars movies' writers used the Arthurian legend as inspiration much.

GooeyChewie
2020-12-07, 10:53 AM
Hmm, what? What makes you think Jedi are Arthurian knights? They're pretty clearly inspired by a combination of Errol Flynn swashbuckling and Kurosawa samurai.

Probably because they dance whenever they're able, they do routines and chorus scenes with footwork impecc-able.

But seriously, the Jedi do have traits in common with Arthurian knights. And also with samurai. And also with Errol Flynn. That's why it's so hard to pin down one build which encompasses everything Jedi can be. You're better off picking an aspect of the Jedi and building towards that.

You can replicate a Jedi who puts all their focus on fighting with lightsabers. You can replicate a Jedi who focuses on fighting and has limited Force-like powers. You can replicate a Jedi who relies solely on the Force and forgoes using a lightsaber at all. It's really difficult to make all of those at once.

Galithar
2020-12-07, 11:01 AM
snip...

Yeah I'm avoiding telepathy if I can, I know cannonically(in Legends which I personally never stopped acknowledging as cannon) that some Jedi have it but it doesn't fit the style I'm going for here. The extent of the "psychic" abilities I want to use are more empathic than psychic. Calm Emotions rates pretty high on "list of spells useful for a Jedi" Obviously suggestion too. But my question is is witchbolt more like Force Lightning than Litghning bolt or Chain Lightning? Lightning bolt isn't continuous so I totally get that one, but I'm not sure about Chain, although with level requirements Witch bolt is better.

I'm mostly versed on The Old Republic Era as it's my favorite, but I came up with a cool Jedi Theory build last night.

I don't know how effective it would play out because I created as a level 20 build, and build order would be important, but I wanted to create a Jedi Master Guardian. Emphasis on melee prowess. I also used rolled stats.

Yuan-Ti base. I did this for the magic resistance and the racial Suggestion spell. Magic resistance is simulating the Jedi training to protect themselves against other force users powers. A Jedi that can't do this will have their lightsaber switched off during their first duel. Bad news if that happens.

Level breakdown is this Psychic Warrior 11/Soul Knife 7/Bladesinger 2

ASI: Telekinetic, rest Dex

I ended with stats of 10, 20, 16, 18, 11, 14
Again that was rolled. (Moved my +2 Cha from racial to Int)

Now Psychic Warrior gets me 3 attacks a round, and all the typical Jedi abilities. The things almost every trained force use can do. Push, Jump, Defend, maintain focus and control of your own mind, and blindfighting style. The ability to fight blind was basically a must have for a Master Guardian.

Soul Knife gave me some skills and that sweet expertise to appear to have super human senses. I chose Athletics, Acrobatics, Insight, and Perception for these. These would obviously vary between each individual even if they were the same class build.
The ability to notice things is pretty important when you are religious police force soldiers peacekeepers. I felt evasion, the ability to avoid damage that people with lesser senses would take, at level 7 was a good mechanical analogue for the heightened reaction speeds of Jedi (Like Anakin being able to pod race).

Now Bladesinger gives me my battle trance. The ability to focus my mind and flow with the force. That cranks my AC in Studded Leather up to 23. I am using a shield that I would refluff as a parrying blade (sort of similar in style to Ahsoka Tano, one blade forward, one reversed that is dedicated to defense). Add some magic items in and you have a very can't touch this fighting style indicative of force users.

Things that I lack: many force sorcery powers. I took Suggestion as a racial for that once a day Jedi mind trick. I have a decent analogue to deflecting blaster bolts in the Psychic Warriors protective field, but I'm lacking a REFLECT ability.
I took Telekinetic, mostly to round my intelligence up to 18. Defensive Duelist would be a good choice, as would Fey Touched (Command) with the Misty Step refluffed as a force jump.
I have very few caster levels and only have access to first level spells. That's not ideal for replicating force powers. I was choosing to create the Guardian style Jedi though. Using the force as anything other then defense and to bolster my dueling abilities is not really required, though would definitely have been nice to get forcespeed (Haste), Longstrider is a poor man's substitute that I could use. Zephyr Strike through Magic Initiate wouldn't be a terrible idea either.

-End of Build-

Now for force Lightning your best bet is either a repeatable lightning attack that you fluff as being continuous or witch bolt. Unfortunate Witch Bolt sucks and your best repeatable (and easily accessible) lightning attacks have some undesired additional effects. Lightning Lure pulls, not really a desired effect. And Shocking Grasp lacks the desired range. All of this could be taken on my above build from the 2 levels in Bladesinger.

Also to another poster: Not all Jedi that fall go full dark side. Just all the ones you see in the movies really. Others in the EU/Legends sometimes just become Grey Jedi. They are often the most true to the Legends concept of the Je'daii that operated in balance with the force. They are often depicted in the realms of Neutral Good to Chaotic Good, but definitely span all of the non-lawful alignments. Some could even be considered Chaotic Evil without becoming Sith, simply because they leave destruction and death in their wake without adhering to the Sith Code.

Religion is a much larger basis for the Star Wars stories than Arthurian legend. But that's a whole other debate that I don't want to get into.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 11:02 AM
Man, this thread reminds me of that project I had of adapting all the six Star Wars movies into D&D modules.

You can replicate a Jedi who puts all their focus on fighting with lightsabers. You can replicate a Jedi who focuses on fighting and has limited Force-like powers. You can replicate a Jedi who relies solely on the Force and forgoes using a lightsaber at all. It's really difficult to make all of those at once.

You don't have to make all those at once, though.

Sception
2020-12-07, 11:04 AM
Errol Flynn? Really? If I were to pick out a Star Wars counterpart to that sort of the dashing roguish swashbuckler type, I would point to Han Solo (even if he is in some ways a subversion of the archetype) & the many star wars characters deliberately in his mold (albeit often without the subversion), not the jedi/sith with their relative self seriousness and mythic import.

But then again, I only really know Errol Flynn by third hand pop cultural derivatives and haven't made the time to watch any of his films myself, so I could easily have the wrong impression.

Throne12
2020-12-07, 11:17 AM
I don't know if any said this yet. But hexblade warlock your patron is the Force. Then go pact of the blade. That the telekinesis feat. Use spells and invocations to mimic force abilities eb can be force push or pull with right invocation. If you want jedis force jump there the at will jump spell invocation.

If you want vador just go full psi warrior. That just looked at vador and copied wht he did. Lol other then that think about wht your jedi can do then build for that.

GooeyChewie
2020-12-07, 11:59 AM
You don't have to make all those at once, though.
Yes, that was my point. Pick one Jedi style and do it well rather than trying to do all the Jedi styles.

Errol Flynn? Really? If I were to pick out a Star Wars counterpart to that sort of the dashing roguish swashbuckler type, I would point to Han Solo (even if he is in some ways a subversion of the archetype) & the many star wars characters deliberately in his mold (albeit often without the subversion), not the jedi/sith with their relative self seriousness and mythic import.

But then again, I only really know Errol Flynn by third hand pop cultural derivatives and haven't made the time to watch any of his films myself, so I could easily have the wrong impression.

This comparison is more about the fighting style than the personality. Both Flynn and Jedi tend to have big flashy fights meant more to entertain than to demonstrate realism. A Swashbuckler Rogue could represent a duelist Force wielder pretty well. Replace the name "Rakish Audacity" with "Signature Look of Superiority" and take Magic Initiate for Witchbolt and you have Count Dooku.

Sception
2020-12-07, 12:21 PM
This comparison is more about the fighting style than the personality.

To me feeling like a jedi is more about the themes and personality and role within the overall narrative framework than it is about the surface level details like particular gear preferences or combat style. But that admittedly a personal taste thing about whether you're looking to play a Jedi from Star Wars transported to D&D land, or a D&D land incarnation of the Jedi. Lots of ways to do the former well, especially after Tasha's, but I think the latter lands squarely in paladin territory.

TheMango55
2020-12-07, 12:34 PM
Artificer battle smith and psi warrior multiclass

You can be intelligence SAD (helps psi warrior abilities also) plus you can have a steel defender that looks like R2.

Galithar
2020-12-07, 12:38 PM
Artificer battle smith and psi warrior multiclass

You can be intelligence SAD (helps psi warrior abilities also) plus you can have a steel defender that looks like R2.

Ooooh I like this! I somehow missed that combo. I am going to try to work up a build from 1-20 for that.

ZRN
2020-12-07, 12:45 PM

Just in terms of stuff Jedi do in the films, Star Wars literally used the same choreographer as Errol Flynn for the lightsaber fights in the first trilogy. (Later Star Wars stuff, including the prequels/sequels, is more influenced by samurai stuff and Hong Kong martial arts cinema, I'd argue.)

To me feeling like a jedi is more about the themes and personality and role within the overall narrative framework than it is about the surface level details like particular gear preferences or combat style.

I mean, you seem to have a pretty specific kind of Jedi in mind. Episode 1 Obi-wan felt kind of swashbuckly to me, as did the kid from Star Wars: Rebels and even pre-Vader Anakin.

Galithar
2020-12-07, 01:35 PM
I found the Yoda absorbs Force Lightning ability!

War Magic Wizard level 6 ability. Counterspell and absorb a spell. Just because Yoda doesn't turn around and shoot lightning back doesn't mean we can't!!

So I have a 1-20 build making use of Battlesmith and War Wizard but it'll take time to write up because I actually did it in order in a way I think is playable for a 1-20 campaign.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 01:51 PM
Well, after thinking about it, here how I would go to emulate the different Force using characters (as PCs, as NPCs it's an entire different discussion) [not completed, may finish later]:

Qui-Gon Jinn: Kensei Monk.

One of the Order's best blades during their centuries of peacetime, known for being eccentric or at least unorthodox. As a master of Form IV, Ataru, Qui-Gon was adept at and reliant on using the Force to boost his speed as well as the impact of his blows, but he was ultimately defeated by an opponent who could match or even outmatch his capacities while having superior endurance (aka he ran out of ki).

Obi-Wan Kenobi: Redemption Paladin

Far more orthodox than his master, Obi-Wan nevertheless adopted the same Ataru-based fighting style (aka using his spell slots for self boosts) until his Duel of the Fates with Darth Maul, which he won thanks to Form I, Shii-Cho (aka straightforward swordsmanship and Divine Smite). He later became the master of the defensive Form III, Soresu, which allowed him to counter and surpass many foes who thrived in unrelenting aggression such as Asaj Ventress, General Grievous, and of course the newly minted Darth Vader (typical Redemption Paladin stuff). His final duel with Maul on Tatooine, which remains in my opinion the best lightsaber fight of the whole franchise, is certainly a great representation of the Redemption Paladin.

Darth Maul: Psi Warrior Fighter with 2 levels of Barbarian

As a practitioner of Form VII, Juyo, Maul favored aggression. That is to say, he favored dragging his enemies into a position where they resorted to attacking him as the one way to escape his onslaught (hello Reckless Attack), making them dance his dance of choice while his impressive technique, mobility, boiling emotions and durability (hello Rage + Protective Field) gave him the advantage. Notably, he was defeated when his enemy's apparent helplessness while in an area he couldn't reach made him calm down (aka his last Rage ran out).

Anakin Skywalker: Vengeance Paladin, Conquest Paladin after his defeat on Mustafar

While a practitioner of Form V, Shien, which was based on counterattacking, Anakin mainly enjoyed having a strong defense to go with a strong attack. While Maul's aggressive style was a ploy to make his enemies enter a game of which he was the master, Anakin's was little more than an in-your-face gamble fueled by whichever resentment he felt this week, letting him utterly destroy anyone who could not keep up with him but leaving him unable to claim victory against those who could and humiliated (and crying on the ground) against those exploiting his ego, anger and his tendency to bite more than he could chew. Once in the Darth Vader suit, he switched to a slower style, based on fear, intimidation, and psychological manipulation, keeping the overwhelming aggression of his youth as a trump card when he pushed (or was pushed by) his foes to the brink. He nevertheless remained crippled by his tendency to bite more than he could chew.

Count Dooku: Bladesinger Wizard

The master of Form II, Makashi, Dooku was one of the greatest duelists in the Galaxy, as well as possessing advanced Force powers. This allowed him to toy with Anakin by avoiding his strikes while laying down the hurt, overwhelm Obi-Wan's signature turtling tactics, and escape Yoda. Nevertheless, taking on a more powerful Anakin proved his undoing as he was ultimately fragile once one could bulldozer through his defense and his tricks. He was also notably more intelligent than wise.

Yoda: Druid with 5 levels of Drunken Master Monk

Tiny and with an immense mastery of the Force, Yoda was perfectly suited for Ataru. Unless it was Ataru that was perfectly suited for him (regardless, use Shillelagh + Drunken Master Monk to deliver an highly acrobatic WIS beatdown).

CMCC
2020-12-07, 05:10 PM
(which then lead to his extremely flawed hypothesis of the monomyth).

I'm sorry...what?!

ThatoneGuy84
2020-12-07, 05:22 PM
Psy Warrior def gives us a good template.
Warlock also can give a solid template (with some fluff ofc) Pushing and pulling with Eldrict blast) which could be now done I suppose throu obtaining specific Feats from Tashas at the cost of ASI.
Blade singer can also be used as a template for this.

Depending 100% on how MaD you want the charactor to be will depends on the combo you use.

Hexblade gives viable option for using charisma casting (stuff like Suggestion ect) and Att (because your lightsaber or however you flavor this) can be your pact weapon if you also take pact of blade.

I have debated Phy warrior/Warlock for an option expecially if you want to play more heavily to the darkside.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 05:42 PM
I'm sorry...what?!

Campbell's monomyth theory, in which he argued that there is only one meta-story and that all existing stories are variations of it. Generally referred to as the Hero's Journey.

CMCC
2020-12-07, 06:09 PM
Campbell's monomyth theory, in which he argued that there is only one meta-story and that all existing stories are variations of it. Generally referred to as the Hero's Journey.

I'm referring to your assertion that his theories were flawed. Have you read his work? We should also note that he doesn't claim that EVERY story is a hero's journey - just that nearly every culture has adopted some version of this story in their myths/legends/religion etc.

But curious about what specifically is flawed about his theory? Do you feel the same about Jungian archetypes?

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-07, 06:14 PM
Do you feel the same about Jungian archetypes?

I'm not the poster you're replying to, but having just read about these on Wikipedia I feel that they are basically absolutely bull****.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 06:46 PM
I'm referring to your assertion that his theories were flawed. Have you read his work? We should also note that he doesn't claim that EVERY story is a hero's journey - just that nearly every culture has adopted some version of this story in their myths/legends/religion etc.

But curious about what specifically is flawed about his theory?

One, he does claim that. Campbell was pretty "this is how it works and no other way" in his approach. It is only later than people have gone "well this doesn't work as an absolute fact but it can be used as a literary analysis tool, within a certain caveat".

Two, Campbell's work try to wallpaper over the Medicine Journey concept. While pretending the Hero figure is the central one.

Three, recurring problem of trying to shove the square peg that the "Hero's Journey" model is into the round hole that whichever examined story is, due to him deciding it's the omni-trope.

Four (as said in the video below), trying to use that model to make generalizing and generalized statements about the nature of humanity and people.

And more.

This video does cover the subject pretty well:

https://youtu.be/5nOE7tBnYaU

Do you feel the same about Jungian archetypes?

I mean, what do you mean by "the same"?

Of course there's flaws in the hypothesis, like in any other. But I don't feel the same about them than about the monomyth theory, even if I am not convinced by Jungian psychology.

Why ask about Jungian archetypes, though? That's pretty non-sequituur in this discussion's context.

CMCC
2020-12-07, 07:30 PM
One, he does claim that. Campbell was pretty "this is how it works and no other way" in his approach. It is only later than people have gone "well this doesn't work as an absolute fact but it can be used as a literary analysis tool, within a certain caveat".

Two, Campbell's work try to wallpaper over the Medicine Journey concept. While pretending the Hero figure is the central one.

Three, recurring problem of trying to shove the square peg that the "Hero's Journey" model is into the round hole that whichever examined story is, due to him deciding it's the omni-trope.

Four (as said in the video below), trying to use that model to make generalizing and generalized statements about the nature of humanity and people.

And more.

This video does cover the subject pretty well:

https://youtu.be/5nOE7tBnYaU

I mean, what do you mean by "the same"?

Of course there's flaws in the hypothesis, like in any other. But I don't feel the same about them than about the monomyth theory, even if I am not convinced by Jungian psychology.

Why ask about Jungian archetypes, though? That's pretty non-sequituur in this discussion's context.

Many view Campbell as the academic successor to Jung. Campbell has alluded to the fact that he feels the same way.

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-07, 07:33 PM
Meanwhile Jung is often hugely problematic and by no means a source of authority without criticism.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 07:59 PM
Many view Campbell as the academic successor to Jung. Campbell has alluded to the fact that he feels the same way.

What is "the academic successor" meant to mean in this context?

Campbell was a literature professor working in comparative mythology and in comparative religion, Jung was a psychiatrist and psychoanalist.

CMCC
2020-12-07, 09:46 PM
What is "the academic successor" meant to mean in this context?

Campbell was a literature professor working in comparative mythology and in comparative religion, Jung was a psychiatrist and psychoanalist.

One built off the other. Most of the analysis Campbell did was based off jungian archetypes (as he would’ve freely admitted). I’m guessing you know this, so I’m a bit confused by your confusion.

You disregard campbells conclusions, so I question whether or not you also disregard the foundations by which those conclusions were built.

I’m inquiring to learn more about your complaints. That is all.

Meanwhile Jung is often hugely problematic and by no means a source of authority without criticism.

No authority exists that can’t and shouldn’t be criticized.

Idk what “problematic” means in the context of science, but much of his psych work hasn’t held up to rigorous scrutiny. But much HAS held up well when used in story telling and examinations of myth.

That’s where Campbell bridged the gap.

Follow your bliss, folks.

Necromas
2020-12-07, 10:30 PM
Well, after thinking about it, here how I would go to emulate the different Force using characters (as PCs, as NPCs it's an entire different discussion) [not completed, may finish later]:

One of the Order's best blades during their centuries of peacetime, known for being eccentric or at least unorthodox. As a master of Form IV, Ataru, Qui-Gon was adept at and reliant on using the Force to boost his speed as well as the impact of his blows, but he was ultimately defeated by an opponent who could match or even outmatch his capacities while having superior endurance (aka he ran out of ki).

Far more orthodox than his master, Obi-Wan nevertheless adopted the same Ataru-based fighting style (aka using his spell slots for self boosts) until his Duel of the Fates with Darth Maul, which he won thanks to Form I, Shii-Cho (aka straightforward swordsmanship and Divine Smite). He later became the master of the defensive Form III, Soresu, which allowed him to counter and surpass many foes who thrived in unrelenting aggression such as Asaj Ventress, General Grievous, and of course the newly minted Darth Vader (typical Redemption Paladin stuff). His final duel with Maul on Tatooine, which remains in my opinion the best lightsaber fight of the whole franchise, is certainly a great representation of the Redemption Paladin.

As a practitioner of Form VII, Juyo, Maul favored aggression. That is to say, he favored dragging his enemies into a position where they resorted to attacking him as the one way to escape his onslaught (hello Reckless Attack), making them dance his dance of choice while his impressive technique, mobility, boiling emotions and durability (hello Rage + Protective Field) gave him the advantage. Notably, he was defeated when his enemy's apparent helplessness while in an area he couldn't reach made him calm down (aka his last Rage ran out).

Anakin Skywalker: Vengeance Paladin, Conquest Paladin after his defeat on Mustafar

While a practitioner of Form V, Shien, which was based on counterattacking, Anakin mainly enjoyed having a strong defense to go with a strong attack. While Maul's aggressive style was a ploy to make his enemies enter a game of which he was the master, Anakin's was little more than an in-your-face gamble fueled by whichever resentment he felt this week, letting him utterly destroy anyone who could not keep up with him but leaving him unable to claim victory against those who could and humiliated (and crying on the ground) against those exploiting his ego, anger and his tendency to bite more than he could chew. Once in the Darth Vader suit, he switched to a slower style, based on fear, intimidation, and psychological manipulation, keeping the overwhelming aggression of his youth as a trump card when he pushed (or was pushed by) his foes to the brink. He nevertheless remained crippled by his tendency to bite more than he could chew.

The master of Form II, Makashi, Dooku was one of the greatest duelists in the Galaxy, as well as possessing advanced Force powers. This allowed him to toy with Anakin by avoiding his strikes while laying down the hurt, overwhelm Obi-Wan's signature turtling tactics, and escape Yoda. Nevertheless, taking on a more powerful Anakin proved his undoing as he was ultimately fragile once one could bulldozer through his defense and his tricks. He was also notably more intelligent than wise.

Tiny and with an immense mastery of the Force, Yoda was perfectly suited for Ataru. Unless it was Ataru that was perfectly suited for him (regardless, use Shillelagh + Drunken Master Monk to deliver an highly acrobatic WIS beatdown).

Absolutely perfect choices!

moonfly7
2020-12-07, 11:10 PM
So to answer some of the questions asked: yes I'm going for a Jedi style force user, and more Old Jedi order, Republic and Knights of the Old Republic style. Trying to be more of a combat focused Jedi but with some utility, little to know healing.
The Jedi forms closest to what I'm going for are form 1, and 6, with elements of Sokan(legends versions of the 3): specifically I want to utilize form 1's techniques that involve attacking large groups, form 6's focus on using the force to enhance strikes, movement, and disrupt the battle field, and Sokans focus on using the environment to your advantage. Ultimately though this Jedi will have his own form based around making a group fight more efficiently, via force enhancing abilities like Battle meditation and force meld.

Here are the abilities I'm mainly emulating:
In control:
Art of movement(long strider? Monk? Mobile feat?)
Enhance attribute(enhance ability?)
Force body(AC and temp HP boosters)
Force Speed
Hibernation trance(optional)
Force healing(very minor, like Spare the Dying)
Sense:
Battle medititation(Telepathy, Enhancing abilities like bless or inspiration, Bladesinging?)
Force Meld(telepathy, enhancing abilities like bless or inspiration?)
Force Sight(farseeing?)
Force Empathy
Telepathy(minor, no detect thoughts)
Shadow vision(dark vision. Either the Spell or feature)
Shatterpoint(any bonus to insight, perception, or to hit.)
Alter(will add soon):
Force stun(Hold person? Stunning Strike?)
Force Slow(Slow)
Force Lighting( Witchbolt)
Force Chain Lightning(Surprisingly is almost exactly like the DND spell Chain Lightning)
Force pull(telekinetic Feat)
Force Push(Telekinetic Feat)
Force Cloak(Invisibility? Pass without Trace? just good stealth?)
Mind Trick(Suggestion, any charm effect, alter memory)
Tutaminis(Absorb elements)

Mr Adventurer
2020-12-08, 03:50 AM
One
No authority exists that can’t and shouldn’t be criticized.

Idk what “problematic” means in the context of science, but much of his psych work hasn’t held up to rigorous scrutiny. But much HAS held up well when used in story telling and examinations of myth.

Right, just making sure we're on the same page since you seemed to be making an appeal to authority.

"Problematic" in the social justice sense. Science isn't immune to that sort of failing, as you should know. People like Jung do bad science all the time. But as you say yourself, we're not talking about Jung's (often pseudo-) science, but about storytelling and myth, so I don't know why you invoke it at all to be honest.

If you're talking about his archetypes when you say much of Jung's work has held up well in storytelling and myth, then, looking at Wikipedia shows that actually there are a number of criticisms of the archetypes concept which range from fundamental to resultant; and to my eye those criticisms have merit. That's why, after you drop reference to them into the thread in the specific way that you have, I challenge your appeal to authority.

BamBam
2020-12-08, 04:03 AM
Star Wars is a mash up of Samurai films, Westerns, and War movies. The Hidden Fortress was the main influence on George Lucas. The Jedi are ancient Samurai with uncanny abilities who were displaced by modern warfare. The Force is a westernization of Zen Buddhism and Shinto.

Arkhios
2020-12-08, 05:51 AM
Star Wars is a mash up of Samurai films, Westerns, and War movies. The Hidden Fortress was the main influence on George Lucas. The Jedi are ancient Samurai with uncanny abilities who were displaced by modern warfare. The Force is a westernization of Zen Buddhism and Shinto.

...and your point is?

moonfly7
2020-12-08, 12:11 PM
...and your point is?

I think he was just making a statement to provide information. It's actually quite intriguing really. I knew that Kendo(and fencing) methods and styles were used for light saber combat choreography but I hadn't known how far the inspiration went.

furby076
2020-12-14, 01:17 AM

Not sure if I fully agree here with fluff

If you go old school (2nd ed) then there are paladins and knights. I'd say Jedi are more akin to knights
If you go 5e then the paladin with the knightly oath is more akin to Jedi.

Jedi are more knights than paladin, and their oath is to the betterment of society. There are 3 types of force users: Jedi (basically NG), the other order (slips my mind) who are Netral, and then darkside sith (NE).

As to how you create this in D&D, well, there are 10 ways to skin a cat.

The question is: Do all jedi have all the same powers, or do they have basic powers+ specialties? So maybe one can do jedi mind tricks, but another can't?

Jmarsh56
2021-02-22, 07:00 PM

I know I am like 2 months late on this revival but I have recently started working on my own jedi 5e character and I just wanted to say that this is so good, but also add that Cal Kestis is the perfect candidate for a Battlesmith Artificer Jedi.

CMCC
2021-02-23, 04:43 PM
I know I am like 2 months late on this revival but I have recently started working on my own jedi 5e character and I just wanted to say that this is so good, but also add that Cal Kestis is the perfect candidate for a Battlesmith Artificer Jedi.

I assume you've seen my guide

Jmarsh56
2021-02-23, 05:07 PM
I assume you've seen my guide

I have not..... but now I think I want to.

CMCC
2021-02-23, 05:57 PM
I have not..... but now I think I want to.

https://forums.giantitp.com/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=24840810

truemane
2021-02-24, 08:33 AM
Metamagic Mod: This thread is as dead as the Jedi Order.