PDA

View Full Version : is repeated casting a spell requirement?

kingcheesepants
2020-12-07, 12:16 AM
In the description of Wish it says "The basic use of this spell is to duplicate any other spell of 8th level or lower. You don’t need to meet any requirements in that spell, including costly components. The spell simply takes effect." In spells like Mighty Fortress and Teleportation Circle there are lines about making the spell permanent by casting it repeatedly over the course of a year. Would you say that would constitute a requirement? As in could you cast teleportation circle or similar spells with permanent durations with Wish and just have it be permanent? Or would you say that casting it in that way would leave you open for the exhaustion and possible never cast Wish again? I would personally lean towards thinking that repeated casting does indeed count as a requirement that wish could ignore and thus if you wanted a permanent fortress you could cast Mighty Fortress with Wish as though it had been a year. But what do you guys think?

Greywander
2020-12-07, 12:22 AM
My feeling is that Wish simply replicates the spell, nothing more. If you want a permanent teleportation circle, you could cast it via Wish, but you'd still need to cast it repeatedly over the specified time frame. You could also just Wish for a permanent teleportation circle, but this would indeed cause the Wish backlash and risk of never being able to cast Wish again.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I don't know that there's any official rule about this, but in the absence of such a rule this is how I would assume it would be. I know a similar question has also been asked regarding using Wish to replicate a spell with metamagic. I feel like both of these lie outside the purview of simple spell replication. Now, if you're a sorcerer, you could probably use Wish to replicate a spell, and then apply your own metamagic to that spell.

Galithar
2020-12-07, 12:43 AM
My feeling is that Wish simply replicates the spell, nothing more. If you want a permanent teleportation circle, you could cast it via Wish, but you'd still need to cast it repeatedly over the specified time frame. You could also just Wish for a permanent teleportation circle, but this would indeed cause the Wish backlash and risk of never being able to cast Wish again.

Anyway, that's my thoughts. I don't know that there's any official rule about this, but in the absence of such a rule this is how I would assume it would be. I know a similar question has also been asked regarding using Wish to replicate a spell with metamagic. I feel like both of these lie outside the purview of simple spell replication. Now, if you're a sorcerer, you could probably use Wish to replicate a spell, and then apply your own metamagic to that spell.

Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with this 100%. It's capable of ignoring those extra steps, but that goes beyond simply replicating the spell.

Droppeddead
2020-12-07, 03:57 AM
Just wanted to chime in and say I agree with this 100%. It's capable of ignoring those extra steps, but that goes beyond simply replicating the spell.

Yeah. If you use Wish to simply "replicate the spell" then you need to repeat it. If you wish "for a permanent teleportation circle to appear at this place" then you can do that but it's a different kind of wish.

Unoriginal
2020-12-07, 04:17 AM

I too agree with this.