PDA

View Full Version : Zombie combat tactics

Eladrinblade
2020-12-07, 01:26 AM
Instead of having zombies simply move up and attack with their slams/clubs (what zombies in media ever do that?), have them function as a sticky mob that pulls players in and is hard to escape from. Assuming there are at least two zombies, try this: first zombie charge overruns a target (if bull rush gets a bonus from charge, I think overrun should too), either the target lets them pass and will now get flanked, they resisted and the zombie is in front of them or that and prone, or the zombie won and they are prone (in which case the zombie stops right past them); regardless, they probably used their AoO on this zombie (overruns provoke AoOs, but dont automatically fail if hit like grapples do). Zombie #2 then charges and tries to grapple (unless the target has combat reflexes, there is no AoO, and even if so the target may be prone with a -4 to hit), with a +4 bonus if the target is prone and maybe another +2 from flanking. If #2 hits and manages to hold, it moves into the targets space. Zombie #3 then moves up and joins the grapples, and so on until the maximum number is grappling. While grappling, the zombies only ever try to deal damage via grapple checks (I guess with the -4 for lethal damage?). Any zombies past the grapple maximum just attack from the outside (with many bonuses to hit).

If the target tries to stand up, they get a ton of AoOs against them. Even if they break free, if they try to move away, the zombies make grapples of opportunity. Since the target is unable to use 2-handed weapons while grappling, they're stuck using low-damage weapons with x1 str mod and no double power attack bonus, and zombies are tough. Obviously this won't work as well in tight quarters or against a formation of players, but you get the idea.

Dunno about you, but that feels more like a zombie mob to me.