PDA

View Full Version : Novels with D&D dungeon crawls?

gregc
2020-12-07, 08:11 AM
I've been searching a while but damned if I can find any worth speaking of.

Perhaps it is fondness for fellowship of the rings underground piece but I thought it would be fun to read a novel of a D&D adventuring group exploring a dungeon.
I tried White Plume Mountain but its just too long before they actually get to Aceraks tomb.

A nice Waterdeep Undermountain adventure would be fun. Just seems D&D books beyond the old classics (Dragon lance, FR etc) are extremely rare. Perhaps they don't make good fodder, not sure.

I really only want a novel that made its way to Audible.com so I can listen to it while walking the dog every day.

Talyn
2020-12-07, 08:12 PM
I have no idea if it made it on to Audible.com, but Greg Costikyan's Another Day, Another Dungeon is basically a dungeon crawl for the first 1/3 of the book. The rest of the book is the main characters desperately trying to get rid of the powerful magical artifact they dragged out...

Also, it's hilarious.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-08, 12:37 PM
Guardians of the Flame: didn't that start as a dungeon crawl, or am I thinking of a different book?

MaxWilson
2020-12-08, 01:21 PM
Perhaps it is fondness for fellowship of the rings underground piece but I thought it would be fun to read a novel of a D&D adventuring group exploring a dungeon.

This is text, not Audible.com, but the Journal of Korel the Necromancer is pretty readable IMO in an old-school dungeon crawl kind of way: http://www.edkeyes.org/fiction/journal.html

wookietek
2020-12-08, 02:54 PM
Guardians of the Flame: didn't that start as a dungeon crawl, or am I thinking of a different book?

Must be something else. The Guardians of the Flame is your 'dnd' players get sucked into the game world and become their characters.

BlueHydra
2020-12-09, 10:42 PM
Villains by Necessity by Eve Forward

Has a few dnd style dungeon crawls

mormon_soldier
2020-12-09, 11:23 PM
Below by Lee Gaiteri is about a highwayman who sells a fake map of (essentially the underdark) to a crime lord who then makes him join their expedition down into it. It's very cool and very dnd, though it is set in an original setting.

The Sword of the Bright Lady (MC Plank) also scratches that itch for me, though I think the dungeon delving style of dnd didn't happen until book 3 and 4.

Also, I apologize, neither of these are available through audible.