PDA

View Full Version : Original System Is This system confusing from my Original Game System

Amdy_vill
2020-12-07, 11:05 AM
So I am currently working on a system. it's fantasy and has a focus on taking old school concepts like gold is XP and mixing them with more modern ideas. I am currently working on the "Level" system and was looking for advice on if this is confusing.

Your Class, Race, and Profession level up when you level. so a level 1 character has all the listed abilities from their class race and profession at the level one bar, a level 2 has all the listed abilities from their class, race, and professions, and so on. your class, race, and professional levels are always the same.

for each, you get 5 choices. first, you choose your Major group; for races its humans, hoblins(Gnomes, Dwarfs and haflings), Elves, Orcsinians(Orcs, Goblins Ogres), and Dracons(Dragons, half dragons and such), For Classes its Artisans(Bards, Alchimist, and Artificers), Arcanist(Wizards Warlocks) and more, and for Professions its Craftsman, soldiers and more. This level gives basic abilities that are a baseline. like Arcanist giving baseline rules for arcane magic.

your next choice is like a class or race from dnd 5e, For race, it would be like picking dwarf(Hoblins) for class it would be like picking wizard(Arcanist) and for profession, it would be like Guild craftsman(Craftsman). this level gives you more specific abilities.

your next choice is a sub Class/Race/Profession. It's like sub races and classes from 5e.

you then have the choice of Kits, these give one ability and some skills. you get one for your Race, Class, and Profession.

you then have an optional choice of an archetype. they are like archetypes from pathfinder.

My question is, is this system too complicated if so what should I change, or if its not could you give me some general advice/ critique

noob
2020-12-07, 11:23 AM
It seems excessively cluttered: There is so many choices you will not only need to make many manuals just to describe the basic choices but players will also need to take a whole lot of decisions from different lists just in the first level.
Also the fact each choice seems to need to have multiple levels only worsens the amount of text needed to describe the content.
It is not confusing but it is definitively a deterrent for people who have decision paralysis and something that will create many unwanted interactions and also something that makes even creating a level 1 character very long.
Maybe make a program that gives randomly generated characters and forbid custom crafting characters?
You also need to make near 0 special case abilities(ex: you wear a hat better while in a waterfall) because there is so many sources you will never remember how many special case abilities you have nor be able to know when to apply them.
And I do not see the point of that system: it is only choice for the sake of choice: maybe you should just consider putting all the abilities on the same layer and give them point prices and make a point buy system?(then players can fluff however they want their character)
By the way avoid too ambitious content plans: you might burn out first: if you want to make something and plan to maybe have a big system you can just add layers over time in varied modules and this only after having done the basic rules and content so that you can better understand the interactions of the module with the game.

Amdy_vill
2020-12-07, 01:52 PM
It seems excessively cluttered: There is so many choices you will not only need to make many manuals just to describe the basic choices but players will also need to take a whole lot of decisions from different lists just in the first level.
Also the fact each choice seems to need to have multiple levels only worsens the amount of text needed to describe the content.
It is not confusing but it is definitively a deterrent for people who have decision paralysis and something that will create many unwanted interactions and also something that makes even creating a level 1 character very long.
Maybe make a program that gives randomly generated characters and forbid custom crafting characters?
You also need to make near 0 special case abilities(ex: you wear a hat better while in a waterfall) because there is so many sources you will never remember how many special case abilities you have nor be able to know when to apply them.
And I do not see the point of that system: it is only choice for the sake of choice: maybe you should just consider putting all the abilities on the same layer and give them point prices and make a point buy system?(then players can fluff however they want their character)
By the way avoid too ambitious content plans: you might burn out first: if you want to make something and plan to maybe have a big system you can just add layers over time in varied modules and this only after having done the basic rules and content so that you can better understand the interactions of the module with the game.

So either lean heavily into it with random character creation or cut off the top level and hold back on kits and archetypes. I think I want to lean into the random character creation angle what do you think of that.

Edit: I think I will also cut the top level as a while. keep it for the purposes of random character creation but remove mechanical connection just use them as a group on a table.

noob
2020-12-07, 02:11 PM
So either lean heavily into it with random character creation or cut off the top level and hold back on kits and archetypes. I think I want to lean into the random character creation angle what do you think of that.

Edit: I think I will also cut the top level as a while. keep it for the purposes of random character creation but remove mechanical connection just use them as a group on a table.

It is a possible approach.
You could ask grodthegiant for help on making this system.(if they do not come here spontaneously when summoned)
Is it among your first systems or did you make and test other systems before?
Regardless I did not really playtest any system I made so all I know is that losing interest in the middle of a too ambitious system is a potential pitfall(other homebrewers probably can tell you more about how to make a system).

Amdy_vill
2020-12-07, 02:16 PM
It is a possible approach.
You could ask grodthegiant for help on making this system.(if they do not come here spontaneously when summoned)
Is it among your first systems or did you make and test other systems before?
Regardless I did not really playtest any system I made so all I know is that losing interest in the middle of a too ambitious system is a potential pitfall(other homebrewers probably can tell you more about how to make a system).

It's kinda the first system. I have been play testing and refining idea on if for around 2 years. I have top-down rework a lot of it.