PDA

View Full Version : Furries in the Playground

Ascobol
2007-11-05, 01:39 PM
Is anyone on here a fur? I've seen what may be misconstrued as glimpses here and there, but I've not come across any concrete evidence. Come on, guys, step into the light and tell people about yourselves! ;3

Regardless of how silly I shall feel by saying this, I shall say it anyway... I'm a fur, an arctic fox, so white in winter and autumn, brown or red in summer and spring. I don't have a tail (though I want one) or ears (though I want them too - there's a story behind me not having them, but I wont go into that).

And of course, if you don't know what a fur is, then... Well, you can look it up yourself, lazy :smallamused:

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 01:41 PM
This is spooky. I was just considering a "Furries in the Playground"... >.>

Brit fur representin', yo. No, I do not have a fursuit, fursuiters are creepy. <.<

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-05, 01:57 PM
Dwarf lemur, bizatch.

And I can't believe I just posted that in public :: insert shame here::
Indeed, fursuits are creepy.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-11-05, 02:08 PM
Meeeee~! :smallbiggrin:

I've got to agree, there's a lot of stuff that seems awfully close furry on the forum, to the point where I've pondered pestering others about it. But, it's a role-play forum, what am I to expect but people with were-wolf and cat avatars?

I'd be a Texan fur down here, but no, not one of those Texan furs. Hopefully, I'll get to go to AC this summer if everything goes to plan. I don't have a fursuit, and would be far too lazy to take proper care of one or use it in any fashion. Yes, they are just a tiny bit creepy to think about(I've never been one be in costume or like mascots), but they still look like fun.

Brickwall
2007-11-05, 02:24 PM
Oh, this is going to generate so much animosity...I have to watch. It's definitely the beginning of the end of the, "Support my alternate lifestyle" fad that's going around.

Anyway, I think some playgrounder a few months ago put down a "5 kinds of furries" list, and it seems that nobody's very specific as to what exactly they mean by, "I'm a furry". That person would be useful right around now.

I personally have no interest in being an anthropomorphic animal. I love my body the way it is. Fur-challenged great ape FTW.

Jibar
2007-11-05, 02:28 PM
I do wonder, do I count?
Cat-Muffins don't have fur. But we do have chocolate.
I suppose I'm more of an anthropomorphic confectionary really.
Huh.
Bet there aren't many of us out there.

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-05, 02:31 PM
-snipe-

Anyway, I think some playgrounder a few months ago put down a "5 kinds of furries" list, and it seems that nobody's very specific as to what exactly they mean by, "I'm a furry". That person would be useful right around now.

-snip-

Okay, so I don't actually associate with Furries beyond saying "Oh, yes, I relate to this animal"
And I don't draw furs.
So maybe I don't have to be called a fur?

Brickwall
2007-11-05, 02:34 PM
Okay, so I don't actually associate with Furries beyond saying "Oh, yes, I relate to this animal"
And I don't draw furs.
So maybe I don't have to be called a fur?

Actually, I think that was one of the five types, if you heavily identify, anyway.

King_of_GRiffins
2007-11-05, 02:38 PM
@Brickwall - I've sorta noticed that fad, but meh. I sorta like the idea of an open playground.

As for a definition? As a noun, it would be anyone who likes anthropomorphic animals, and considers being one personality-wise. As an adjective, anything anthropomorphic that involves animals.

Brickwall
2007-11-05, 02:41 PM
@Brickwall - I've sorta noticed that fad, but meh. I sorta like the idea of an open playground.

It's an open playground, but who really needs to say it? There are already 'no discrimination' rules in place, after all. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one more fad for people who need some kind of validation. But that's most people, so fad away.

LCR
2007-11-05, 02:48 PM
It's an open playground, but who really needs to say it? There are already 'no discrimination' rules in place, after all. As far as I'm concerned, it's just one more fad for people who need some kind of validation. But that's most people, so fad away.

Ooh, thank you for those words. I've already begun to think of myself as intolerant, because I'd grown tired of all the diversity here ... :smallwink:

Brickwall
2007-11-05, 02:59 PM
Ooh, thank you for those words. I've already begun to think of myself as intolerant, because I'd grown tired of all the diversity here ... :smallwink:

Yeah, screw diversity! Viva la conformity! Down with the freaks!

Anyone who can't tell I was joking deserves a boot to the head.

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-05, 03:06 PM
Furries make me ill. I am not a Furrie. I'm simply furry. That is all.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-05, 03:20 PM

Well thanks for your support and good will. If you don't care and don't like it, don't open the thread and spend your time on it. Your negativity is not appreciated.

We already had several furs come out in the confession thread, and I figured that there may soon be a thread for them. I don't see it as a fad, but rather an indication that we are all getting comfortable enough with each other, and trusting enough of the community, to be able to talk about aspects of our personalities that we otherwise hide. It has nothing to do with validation, rather discussion and support. People go through hell trying to sort these things out and feel utterly alone and like a freak. So what is so wrong with others who may feel that they may be able to help those who are in that turmoil? Or with people voicing support for a subculture that is widely hated and discriminated against? We have an amazing and diverse community where everyone can relate to something another person is experiencing. And a multitude of threads. There should be no reason for a poster to be afraid to post that they are a part of an alternative lifestyle, and I feel like we should foster a positive, safe and encouraging environment for those people.

I don't feel that saying that a furry thread will generate animosity and will be the last of the superficial, validate my deviance, fad is helpful or contributes to that environment.

And yes, I know you are joking with your most recent post. My objection is to the first one and the one I quoted.

That being said, I don't think that I am a furry. I feel much like a cat sometimes and also identify with snakes, but not to the point where I identify myself as a fur.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 03:35 PM
Sometimes I wonder what a fur who considers himself a chimp would be like.

Basically... a small human?

What about an orangutan? If humans aren't "furry", they certainly wouldn't be... they have less fur than humans!

No, I do not take my sexual deviance at all seriously. I don't get why people do. I'm incredibly weird, and to say I'm not would simply be untrue. I also don't throw around terms like "fursecution" and only use "fursona" in a joking manner, because, frankly, those terms suck.

As someone on SA once told me, I'm one of the sane ones. :smalltongue:

AmberVael
2007-11-05, 03:35 PM
Thank you, Pxp. You put that better than I ever would have, even if I had the guts to say it.

Anywho! No, I'm not a furry. To be frank, I don't understand it at all (not that I avoid people who are furries, it's just something I don't feel like I relate to).

As such, my innate curiosity makes me wonder why it is some people do have this lifestyle. Is it something you choose, or is it something that you just feel is an innate part of you? Can it be either one?
I dunno. If someone could explain the mentality of it, I'd be very interested to hear, if only so I can try and understand.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 03:40 PM
Hm. Really, I don't think it's much of a 'lifestyle' (then again, I don't consider being gay a 'lifestyle', either...). But, that's not the point.

The reasons for being a fur are as many and varied as, say, the reasons for being gay, or being into bondage. Maybe I just watched Thundercats one too many times? (Although, actually, I thought it sucked. I had very high standards as a kid.)

Some people relate being furry as similar to having a "totem" animal. That's probably the way I think of it. Then, some just want to dress up in funny costumes. Like an extreme form of roleplay. There are also those who believe themselves to actually be an animal, similar to how transexuals believe themselves to be the wrong sex... but, uh, much, much weirder. After all, it's possible to have a female brain in a male body... not sure how you'd get born with a cat brain, though.

Most of the community really creeps me out sometimes. Furries are creepy, as a general rule. We have out-of-control imaginations and find ourselves retreating to largely imaginary communities of people similar to us. I think some treat it as a form of escapism. I don't, which is probably why I find it rather creepy...

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-05, 03:44 PM
After all, it's possible to have a female brain in a male body... not sure how you'd get born with a cat brain, though.
Got into the kitty litter too much as a kid?

phoenixineohp
2007-11-05, 03:48 PM
One way I understand it is that it's like finding that the body you are in is not the right one. They identify and associate more with their other species than as a human. But I'm still learning. :smallsmile:

There can be a creepy factor, but then again, some vanilla heteros creep me out. :smalleek:

The Vorpal Tribble
2007-11-05, 03:51 PM
One way I understand it is that it's like finding that the body you are in is not the right one. They identify and associate more with their other species than as a human.
That would explain much of the behavior of some enviromentalists...

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-11-05, 03:58 PM
Some people relate being furry as similar to having a "totem" animal. That's probably the way I think of it. Then, some just want to dress up in funny costumes.

I pretty much fit into both these categories. I'm very llama-like in nature and wearing my jacket with the ears on it around is fun. People seem to like it, too.

I'm done with work, so i'll post more later, not that I've much relevant to say.

(but I'd like to think I'm not creepy. I think.)

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-05, 03:59 PM
Some people relate being furry as similar to having a "totem" animal. That's probably the way I think of it. Then, some just want to dress up in funny costumes. Like an extreme form of roleplay. There are also those who believe themselves to actually be an animal, similar to how transexuals believe themselves to be the wrong sex... but, uh, much, much weirder. After all, it's possible to have a female brain in a male body... not sure how you'd get born with a cat brain, though.

Most of the community really creeps me out sometimes. Furries are creepy, as a general rule. We have out-of-control imaginations and find ourselves retreating to largely imaginary communities of people similar to us. I think some treat it as a form of escapism. I don't, which is probably why I find it rather creepy...

I agree with the concept of it being like a totem animal. Atleast, that's how it is to me. I don't imagine myself to be a dwarf lemur, nor do I want to be. I just associate some of my personality to that of a lemur.

Also, that's also why I am ashamed to lump myself in with the furries. For the most part, they're creepy O.o

Dhavaer
2007-11-05, 04:02 PM
I am not a furry, no matter what my hard drive may say on the matter.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 04:06 PM
By the by, does anyone here know of any animals that's sort of... cat-fox-ish? I hate not having the word to describe my 'totem'. >.> It's irritating.

(Yes, I know cats and foxes are pretty similar anyway, but that's not the point.)

Reinboom
2007-11-05, 04:14 PM
I wear cat ears - I would wear a tail if I had one. I wear a cat bell at times (it's amusing to annoy people with...).
I act cat-like in chats, and at times even in person. I adore cats, and can play with them for hours. Cats are also amazing to me - such as the fact they can fall at terminal velocity (say... out of a plane) and live most of the time.
I have gone to fur meets.

I still don't identify myself as a fur. I adore cats, I find them amazingly cute... but I would never want to be a cat.

TamerBill
2007-11-05, 04:18 PM
By the by, does anyone here know of any animals that's sort of... cat-fox-ish?

Like, say, a cat-fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-fox)?

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 04:19 PM
Like, say, a cat-fox (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat-fox)?

...Huh. That's new.

Catch
2007-11-05, 04:23 PM
By the by, does anyone here know of any animals that's sort of... cat-fox-ish? I hate not having the word to describe my 'totem'. >.> It's irritating.

(Yes, I know cats and foxes are pretty similar anyway, but that's not the point.)

Technically, the genus Vulpes is in the Canidae family, so foxes are more like dogs than cats. As far as what you're looking for is concerned, you might try this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fennec_fox) or this one (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kit_Fox). Both are smaller than the normal red and notably more catlike.

The furry fandom, though, I just don't know. I'm not one to judge on personal taste, but some folk just take it waaaaay too far. Enjoying the artwork and roleplaying is fine, yet if you honestly believe you're an animal in a pink-ape body, a line has been crossed. And don't get me started on otherkin.... Ugh.

Leliel
2007-11-05, 05:10 PM
(Repost: My first one disappeared mysteriously)

Ahem.*Raises hand*

A mild one. Though I consider myself having a totem animal (either a wolf or a raven, I'm not sure which), and I do so love TF art, I have never considered wearing a fursuit or consider going to conventions.

I also dislike "plushies" and "sexually deviant" furries. The latter far more then the former. Ick.

Although...I would enjoy a "wereraven mage" avatar, but I don't know how to get it under your screen name, so I haven't put out a request. Care to enlighten me?

Catch
2007-11-05, 05:15 PM
Although...I would enjoy a "wereraven mage" avatar, but I don't know how to get it under your screen name, so I haven't put out a request. Care to enlighten me?

Top of the page, User CP > Edit Options > Scroll all the way to the bottom. There's a field where you can paste the URL of your chosen avatar. ImageShack (http://imageshack.us/) or PhotoBucket (http://photobucket.com/) are both good choices.

darkblade
2007-11-05, 05:19 PM
The furry fandom, though, I just don't know. I'm not one to judge on personal taste, but some folk just take it waaaaay too far. Enjoying the artwork and roleplaying is fine, yet if you honestly believe you're an animal in a pink-ape body, a line has been crossed. And don't get me started on otherkin.... Ugh.

Much like any other role-playing. Like some people who get to invloved in LARPs and begin thinking they are vampires, werewolves, etc.

Lemur
2007-11-05, 05:25 PM
I'm not. While ordinarily I wouldn't even see the point of mentioning it, seeing this thread on the forums made me think that maybe, just maybe, my username and avatar might give people a different impression. I guess it's a bit ironic, but I do like irony.

ray53208
2007-11-05, 05:32 PM
Meeeee~! :smallbiggrin:

I've got to agree, there's a lot of stuff that seems awfully close furry on the forum, to the point where I've pondered pestering others about it. But, it's a role-play forum, what am I to expect but people with were-wolf and cat avatars?

I'd be a Texan fur down here, but no, not one of those Texan furs. Hopefully, I'll get to go to AC this summer if everything goes to plan. I don't have a fursuit, and would be far too lazy to take proper care of one or use it in any fashion. Yes, they are just a tiny bit creepy to think about(I've never been one be in costume or like mascots), but they still look like fun.

okay im NOT a furry, but i have friends who are. i openly give them hell about it, but i still love them and hang out... so long as its not some kind of furry event. they understand me, i understand them. im not exactly anti-furry, i just think its so freakin funny.

im in texas. please explain "those Texan furs" because im honestly in the dark. after all, from my POV, youre all equally weird and worthy of my heckling.

Death, your friend the Reaper
2007-11-05, 05:45 PM
...I could have sworn this would have been a topic on shaving, looks like I was wrong again.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-05, 06:28 PM
Well, It's not that I heavily want to be an animal, but it feels right. I think I'm a dog, and I feel happier when I feel like one, and the inverse is true as well, when I'm happy I feel like a puppy. It'd all that running around, loving it as they stroke my hair. That urge to kill little animals in bloodshed when feeling really, really good.

I admit I had the urge, and it's strong, but I never acted on that urge, so don't think I'm a psycho.

I'm a stray wolf looking to be trained and collared, you know?

Barrin
2007-11-05, 07:28 PM
Heck yes! Furs are teh awesome!!!

Really I'm in it 'cause the idea is interesting. That and a lot of the furs I meet are really great people (with a few exceptions *glares at a few people*), and it's a good common interest with a lot of my friend's friends.

But yeah, I'm a fennec. They're awesome :3 So cute!! And hyper, just like me. Not to mention the big ears (I have big ears...>_> but not that big XD). ^_^;;

Barrin
2007-11-05, 07:35 PM

Usually that's called a kitsune -- it's a pretty common mix. ^_^;;

Cobra_Ikari
2007-11-05, 07:37 PM
Usually that's called a kitsune -- it's a pretty common mix. ^_^;;

I thought "kitsune" was just Japanese for "fox". *shrugs*

Also...I have mixed opinions on furs, based on what category of fur they belong to.

Brickwall
2007-11-05, 07:41 PM

Also...I have mixed opinions on furs, based on what category of fur they belong to.

I think it's actually some kind of fox-spirit, but I don't pretend to know much Japanese.

Catch
2007-11-05, 07:43 PM

It is. However, there's a mystic connotation to the word as well. Since foxes are a common animal in Japan, the fox has found its way into Japanese folklore as a trickster and shapeshifter. Given the fox's relation to kami, the word "kitsune" can translate to mean either the animal or the spirit.

Or, you could just read the wiki (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kitsune).

@V: Well, I do try. I'd forgotten the bit about the tails, though.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-05, 07:43 PM
"Kitsune" means "fox" (or, more specifically, Japanese red fox).

In Shinto mythology, foxes are supposedly spirit creatures, with very long lives. When a fox reaches one-hundred years of age, it grows an extra tail and gains human intelligence and magical powers. Every hundred years after, it gains a new tail and an increase in intelligence and magic.

No, kitsune aren't anything to do with cats. At all. In any way. A cat is "neko", and they're perfectly mundane.

Edit: Ninja'd on a Japanese subject... huh.

Setra
2007-11-05, 08:07 PM
I'm a furry!

Er.. well actually it depends on your definition of Furry.

Regardless, I'm really more of a Scaley.

DarkLightDragon
2007-11-05, 08:09 PM
I don't think less of furries as long as they don't take it too far. I actually suspect I may be one myself.

Do dragons count as furries? They definitely don't have fur, so they'd be more like scalies. But you know what I mean. Dragon-furry? Mythical furball?

I've had a fascination with dragons for most of my life. I also often imagine myself with dragon wings/tail/ears/claws and have a bunch of fantasy worlds where I am either a dragon or half-dragon.

Seems like a dragon-furry to me.

Reinboom
2007-11-05, 08:13 PM
There are many who consider themselves a dragon furry, yes.
It's a pretty common one - alongside cats, foxes, and dogs.

Catch
2007-11-05, 08:15 PM
Dragons and the like qualify as Otherkin (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otherkin), technically.

Raiser Blade
2007-11-05, 08:18 PM
I pretty much fit into both these categories. I'm very llama-like in nature and wearing my jacket with the ears on it around is fun. People seem to like it, too.

I'm done with work, so i'll post more later, not that I've much relevant to say.

(but I'd like to think I'm not creepy. I think.)

Do you suddenly spit on people in public...

Cuz i do! ^_^

Setra
2007-11-05, 08:19 PM
I've had a fascination with dragons for most of my life. I also often imagine myself with dragon wings/tail/ears/claws and have a bunch of fantasy worlds where I am either a dragon or half-dragon.
Sounds a lot like me.

reorith
2007-11-05, 08:24 PM
avid fursecutor here. it is the only way to live.

DarkLightDragon
2007-11-05, 08:32 PM
Sounds a lot like me. Nice to see I'm not alone :smallsmile:

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-11-05, 10:10 PM
Do you suddenly spit on people in public...

Cuz i do! ^_^

Not anymore. Not after The Incident.

But I'm very protective of my "herd" of friends and like to move stuff.

And if you keep that up, Raiser, you're gonna end up smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Trust me.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-06, 12:03 AM
For a cat/fox like thing... This summer I saw a Sand Cat for the first time. It's somewhat fox like but totally adorable. And if you want to clarify the kistune/fox thing, I suggest talking to Fenric. :smallsmile:

A video of a Sand Cat. (http://s68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/phoenixineohp/?action=view&current=RoadTrip07-_693.flv)

http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/phoenixineohp/RoadTrip07-_0635.jpg
http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i2/phoenixineohp/RoadTrip07-_0633.jpg

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-06, 02:58 AM
I think I'd probably class as a furry due to getting on better with animals then humans while having interests in lycanthropy and animal communication (there are also several specises wich I'd sooner be rather then a human with wild canids and hyenas at the top of the list). Admittedly, I'm not into dressing up as animals or any of the devient aspects of the subculture (I know what other people meant about this sort of thing being creepy).

Ascobol
2007-11-06, 03:37 PM
My furdom displays itself as affection: I can just be that little bit more extrvagent around people. And hell, it boosted my confidence. I wouldn't be who I am today without it.

Athangoo.

valadil
2007-11-06, 04:08 PM
I think I had a misunderstanding of what furries were before reading this thread. I was under the impression that to be a furry you had to wear the fursuit during sex. That doesn't seem to be the case. Thank you for clearing that up. I'm now less creeped out by people who identify as furries (though the sexual ones still creep me out a lot). If you wanna know why I'm so creeped out, blame Something Positive, which is where I first heard of furries.

Raiser Blade
2007-11-06, 04:12 PM
And if you keep that up, Raiser, you're gonna end up smacked on the nose with a rolled up newspaper. Trust me.

<_< >_> *spits on thread*

*flees*

:smalltongue:

Ascobol
2007-11-06, 05:24 PM
*smacks*

And Valadil, yeah, that's a not uncommon misconception. Contrary to popular belief, furry ISN'T a kink, it's more of a belief. Could even be described as a social group, as much as Goth or Indie.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-06, 05:40 PM
Wonderful article: http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=3873

No, really. An unbiased article about furries.

Welp, now I'm actually not ashamed of being a furry anymore. :smallsmile:

Barrin
2007-11-06, 09:24 PM
Wonderful article: http://www.hartfordadvocate.com/article.cfm?aid=3873

No, really. An unbiased article about furries.

Welp, now I'm actually not ashamed of being a furry anymore. :smallsmile:

My boyfriend showed me that article, it's pretty damn good. He thinks he remembers seeing the guy, too - I wasn't there, though.

phoenixineohp
2007-11-06, 09:25 PM
Guy? The first name is Jennifer...

But is a wonderful article. Very fair.

reorith
2007-11-06, 11:07 PM
all this stuff has made me confortable with my inner animal. my days of fursecuting my bretheren is over. this is my fursona
http://i24.tinypic.com/2copfrq.gif

SDF
2007-11-07, 12:05 AM
Well I suppose I should be nice to furries, I mean after all they are people too... wait, is that offensive? I can never tell, I think this is one of those subjects I should avoid to keep myself out of trouble, like dresses that make people look fat and F.E.M.A.

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 02:21 AM
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Humor/SayNo/Images/SayNo-Furries.png

Tempest Fennac
2007-11-07, 02:50 AM
Regarding Valadil's comments, the term for people who have sex when dressed up as animals is yiffer (I remember reading on the Newshounds forum that The Sun "newspaper" did an article on yiffers which didn't diffeentiate them from other furries). Something Positive does tend to poke fun at sub-culture sterio-types a lot (eg: look at how most Christians and Pagans are depicted in the comic).

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 06:43 AM
It's a simple pleasure that washes over me and I smile, like an idiot. You ever see Wolf's Rain? It's anime about Wolves who use illusions to look human. Some times, that's how I feel. Like a dog that had somehow tricked humans into accepting him.

But as I watch humans, I wonder what it'd be like to be them. Is it sheep like, the way you get lead around by popular culture, taught many a misnomer? Or do a few have the curiosity and wit to actually deserve to be called human?

Ascobol
2007-11-07, 07:56 AM
As it says in the article, ebtter than I think I could,

"Some people just like anthropomorphic art. As for people relating to animals, it ranges from 'I think they're cool' to 'I have traits in common, like I'm quiet as a mouse,' to 'Yes, I am a wolf in a human body and I must run free with my furry brothers!'"

There's basic, moderate, extreme. Small, medium and large. It's pretty simple :smallamused:

Ascobol
2007-11-07, 08:02 AM
Also, damn, that articles good...

The Neoclassic
2007-11-07, 08:05 AM
I'm not a furry myself, but I'm glad this to see more additions to the "Groups in the Playground" threads. It's nice to see how the community here is (for the most part) supportive. Best wishes to all of you. :smallsmile:

((I say "Groups" since the topics are more diverse than "Alternative lifestyles" or "Disorders"... If anyone can think of a better term for these threads, I'll use it instead.))

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 08:25 AM
http://www.thealmightyguru.com/Humor/SayNo/Images/SayNo-Furries.png

Why do people always feel the need to come into threads about furries just to make fun of them?

Jesus. If you don't like it, don't click on the thread.

reorith
2007-11-07, 10:04 AM
Why do people always feel the need to come into threads about furries just to make fun of them?

Jesus. If you don't like it, don't click on the thread.

because it is the internet and it isn't serious business.

Ceska
2007-11-07, 10:29 AM
I personally do not feel as a furrie, although I think I can understand how one could. It's great that this place is open enough for people to be able to make such a statement when they would be harassed in any other situation. Just don't mind the negative comments.

But as I watch humans, I wonder what it'd be like to be them. Is it sheep like, the way you get lead around by popular culture, taught many a misnomer? Or do a few have the curiosity and wit to actually deserve to be called human?
"Madness is the exception in individuals but the rule in groups." Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, aphorism 156. Yes, today is my quote Nietzsche day since I found Brevier again.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 10:31 AM
because it is the internet and it isn't serious business.

...Except some people do take it seriously when people attack their hobby/lifestyle/psuedo-spiritualism.

bluewind95
2007-11-07, 10:33 AM
...Except some people do take it seriously when people attack their hobby/lifestyle/psuedo-spiritualism.

Agreed. Honestly... just because you can't see the people behind the computer screen... it doesn't make it any less real. I'm not fond of this "in real life" and "online" concept. Both are real life. One is online and the other is offline.

Catch
2007-11-07, 11:02 AM
Agreed. Honestly... just because you can't see the people behind the computer screen... it doesn't make it any less real. I'm not fond of this "in real life" and "online" concept. Both are real life. One is online and the other is offline.

It does, actually, and there is a very clear distinction between the internet and real life. When that line blurs, problems can occur.

Would you wear a fursuit to a job interview?
Would you roleplay at work?
Would you use chatspeak with your relatives?

In "real life," you're expected to follow certain laws and social norms. The internet has its own set of guidelines which vary from location to location, yet the general principle remains that in the privacy of your own home, you have the capability to act radically different than you would out on the street. There's a certain suspension of reality that occurs on the internet.

You can speak and act freely because no one's really watching and the anonymity of the internet opens up possibilities that would not be normal, acceptable or legal in "real" life. You can be flirtatious without worrying, open without shame and rude without confrontation. The internet is far less real because the consequences of actions and speech aren't nearly as tangible or immediate. It's an imperfect means of communication and social interaction

Now I'm not making any particular judgment of anyone's lifestyle, yet I do maintain that the internet is not a valid substitute for real life. It's a barrier between you and everyone else, and while behind it, you can't completely relate to other people. The internet is not wholly real because it doesn't have all the pieces of "real" life. A relationship or a lifestyle based solely on something not wholly real can't be wholly real itself. Fantasy and role-playing aren't completely real, and neither is the internet.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 11:31 AM
The fact that you can't see the person on the other side of the screen makes no difference. They're still a real person, and you shouldn't attack real people just because you think they're weird.

Hey, isn't that the reason that attacks on other posters are against the rules here? :smallannoyed:

Catch
2007-11-07, 11:39 AM
The fact that you can't see the person on the other side of the screen makes no difference. They're still a real person, and you shouldn't attack real people just because you think they're weird.

Hey, isn't that the reason that attacks on other posters are against the rules here? :smallannoyed:

Show me in my post where I'm attacking other people or condoning such.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 11:42 AM
I wasn't accusing you of attacking anyone or condoning attacks on anyone. I was saying that the people on the other end of the screen are still people, and you (the general 'you', not the specific one) should treat them as such.

Just because there's no face to look at doesn't mean you (again, general) should become a jackass as soon as you sign into the Internet.

Catch
2007-11-07, 11:48 AM
I wasn't accusing you of attacking anyone or condoning attacks on anyone. I was saying that the people on the other end of the screen are still people, and you (the general 'you', not the specific one) should treat them as such.

Just because there's no face to look at doesn't mean you (again, general) should become a jackass as soon as you sign into the Internet.

Of course, that's the general principle of social interaction. My point was only that though another person on the intertubes is real, it's quite easy to act as though they're not.

valadil
2007-11-07, 11:51 AM
Between this post and that article I'm feeling a lot more accepting of y'all. I still retain the right to be creeped out by "yiffers" though. Seriously, I was led to believe that the fursuit sex was all there was to furrydom.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 11:59 AM
Everyone's creeped out by yiffers.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-11-07, 12:08 PM
Actually, I'm a little more concerned with why furs and fursuiters are seen as creepy by so many people and if there is anything that can be done to help change the perception.

Having talked to and read over a few blogs about and from furs, I can't for the life of me really grasp where the creepy vibe comes from, we are for the most part rather normal people who are no more eccentric than gamers, instead of spending $40 dollars on a D&D book, we just spend $30 on part of an animal costume.

Then it hit me, my theory as to why many people find furries to be creepy is the same reason that most people find gamers to be creepy. The only exposure that the modern playgrounder has had with Furry is what they have seen on the media and I can completely understand that.

Most of the modern exposure to furry has been rather negative. CSI and MTV weren't terribly flattering. Readers of Penny Arcade and PvP probably have some bad experiences stemming from anti-furry comic controversy a few years back. The only other media incident that I could think of may be that one lad who is undergoing various body modification surgery to make his body as tiger-like as possible. He was featured on TV shows I'd say around 3 years ago. People are seeing the edges of furry and told that it is the norm. No wonder they are disturbed.

Again, I am comparing furries to gamers in the way they are seen by the media. In the 80's gamers were thought to be mentally unstable and devil worshippers. I know that something happened, I believe on a college campus, with a murder that was blamed on Dungeons and Dragons that really started off an anti-D&D movement. I'm sorry, I'm not familiar on the details, but I know it influenced how my mother thought of the game. Now, gamers are portrayed as nerds who can't date and are afraid to bathe. Most of us know better. Many of us are gamers who can date or are married and do not fear soap. However, we know gamers and gamer culture, we know that the stereotypes are not true.

I think it is similar to furries. I think I can qualify as a furry. I don't think I'm creepy. The playgrounders who have met me will probably back me up as "Not creepy." Odd, maybe, silly definately, but I don't think they'd call me creepy.

(Wow, and in the time I took to type all this, Yuki_akuma seems to have done a much better job of furry ambassador. Thanks Yuki! :smallsmile: )

Reinboom
2007-11-07, 12:20 PM
Well... after reading the article and what people say. I'm a lot less taken aback and will also claim furry on the edge of admiring cats (like more of a totem animal), though I do at times wear ears and a bell..

For the movie in question, Monsters and Mazes, based on a novel by the same name.
Famous for bringing in to light the case of James Dallas Egbert (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Dallas_Egbert). The movie (and novel) also falsely portrayed what actually happened, and was focused more on attacking the gaming culture than the events that really occurred surrounding the incident, and really - the two were separate.

Albub
2007-11-07, 12:32 PM
-snip-
there can be a creepy factor, but then again, some vanilla heteros creep me out. :smalleek:

How? It's the lifestyle nature intended. Male with female, have kids, live life.

And there was a comment regarding "normal people" being like sheep which I resent. We're descended from a social animal. Wanting to belong or feel like part of a group is instinctual. Wanting to conform is exactly how you should feel. That's how we survived before we became such a decadent and wasteful society. It's the desire to be different that should worry you. Except that those who do not want to belong are invariably drawn to others with similar tastes, becoming "sheep" in a different herd. Though we're actually much more like social primates than sheep. We feed off the mutual support of others like us. It's a viable survival technique in the wild, and it makes us feel good when survival isn't an issue. That's why this thread started, so that furries could come together and form a herd of their own. And we wonder about the goings on inside your head as well, you crazy social misfits you :smallwink:

QueenOfMemnoch
2007-11-07, 12:39 PM
Wanting to conform is exactly how you should feel. That's how we survived before we became such a decadent and wasteful society. It's the desire to be different that should worry you.

That bit scares me. Never, under any circumstances, should you want to conform. Trying to fit in is one thing- conforming is another.
Everyone should want to be different. That's how things get started/created.
Wanting to be different makes the world a better place.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 12:39 PM
Much more like social primates?

We are social primates!

Reinboom
2007-11-07, 12:40 PM
How? It's the lifestyle nature intended. Male with female, have kids, live life.

Uhm... you do realize that humans are also non-monogamous by nature?
I don't think what "by nature" is, is very important here - we all are breaking the "by nature" laws.

Also, many furries aren't furries to be 'outcasts' or 'different'.
Some people just better identify with them. And it's nice to find others who do as well.

Albub
2007-11-07, 12:43 PM
Take note that I didn't say live life together?

Also, lifelong partnerships occur in nature. And some animals remain with their mate until their offspring mature, as is the case with some relationships between humans.

And of course I'm aware that some, if not most of you don't care about being different, that long-winded bit was more addressed to the person asserting that "normal" people are a bunch of mindless sheep following pop culture trends.

Reinboom
2007-11-07, 12:50 PM
Also, lifelong partnerships occur in nature. And some animals remain with their mate until their offspring mature, as is the case with some relationships between humans.

Some animals have split tongues, pointy ears, fine fur, don't sweat, more than 4 appendages, wings, feathers, exoskeletons, no skeletons, spineless, regenerate lost appendages, etc. etc.
You are effectively comparing something nonhuman animal-esque (I must state nonhuman due to humans being animals) to humans. Thus... everyone who lives together happily is a furry.
Uhm...
My parents so aren't furries.
The social route of living has been one partner for a long time (despite human nature), though this is slowly changing now as divorce is becoming more and more normal.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 12:54 PM
Uhm... you do realize that humans are also non-monogamous by nature?
I don't think what "by nature" is, is very important here - we all are breaking the "by nature" laws.

Also, many furries aren't furries to be 'outcasts' or 'different'.
Some people just better identify with them. And it's nice to find others who do as well.
How can you break Nature's law when everything is Nature? Another thing about humans that I don't understand, they think that somehow the rest of the world doesn't apply to them. That Terraforming has been achieve by trees long before Humans could walk upright. And talking and typing isn't the only form of communication.

In the world, as I see it, there are dogs, sheep, and wolves. Sheep wander mindlessly. Dogs give themselves and are happy to obey their master, wolves will lead the sheep down dangerous paths, where, eventually they'll consume the sheep. I have yet to decide whether I want to be a subservient dog, or an all consuming wolf.

I need a master.

Atreyu the Masked LLama
2007-11-07, 01:01 PM
*sprays Rex with a water bottle* "Bad doggie! We're trying to not creep out the normals in this thread. Go be creepy in AMEN." :smalltongue:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 01:08 PM
Meh, just conveying the thoughts I get when I feel furry. Humanity kicked me out, I found that it's a lot more comfortable along the lines. To watch, wait, understand, to get into peoples heads and establish a connection with them. And the more I do that, the more I find that they are really different beings. When I look at a crowd, I see sheep. Identical in appearance, all just being lead.

When I look at individuals, that's when I can make that connection. To see them for what they really are. Quite a few people I thought were sheep weren't. Some people I didn't turned out to be. Blacksheep make a crowd of their own.

Now, how many here are just Black Sheep? How many actually feel that connection, and don't think they're sheep at all? Think closely, cause I'll know if you really mean it, or are just following my lead.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 01:12 PM
Rex. Stop creeping out the normals. :smallwink:

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 01:19 PM
baahbahbaahbaahbaahbahbaahbaah baahbahbahbaahbahbahbahbah baahbahbahbaahbaahbahbaahbah baahbahbahbahbaahbaahbahbah baahbaahbahbaahbaahbaahbaahbaah baahbahbahbahbaahbahbaahbaah baahbahbahbaahbahbaahbaahbaah baahbahbahbaahbahbaahbaahbah baahbahbahbahbaahbaahbahbah baahbaahbahbaahbaahbaahbaahbaah baahbahbahbaahbahbahbaahbah baahbahbahbaahbaahbaahbaahbah baahbahbahbaahbahbaahbahbah baahbahbahbaahbaahbahbaahbah baahbaahbahbaahbaahbaahbaahbaah baahbahbahbahbaahbaahbahbah baahbahbahbaahbaahbahbaahbah baahbahbahbaahbahbahbahbaah baahbahbahbahbaahbaahbahbah baahbahbahbaahbaahbahbaahbah baahbaahbahbaahbaahbaahbaahbaah baahbahbahbahbaahbahbaahbaah baahbahbahbaahbahbahbahbah baahbaahbahbaahbaahbaahbaahbaah baahbahbahbahbahbaahbaahbah baahbahbahbaahbahbahbahbah baahbahbahbahbaahbahbaahbah baahbaahbahbahbahbahbahbah

Ceska
2007-11-07, 01:33 PM
And there was a comment regarding "normal people" being like sheep which I resent. We're descended from a social animal. Wanting to belong or feel like part of a group is instinctual. Neutral stance.

Wanting to conform is exactly how you should feel. That's how we survived before we became such a decadent and wasteful society. It's the desire to be different that should worry you. One should conform to the group one lives in.

Except that those who do not want to belong are invariably drawn to others with similar tastes, becoming "sheep" in a different herd. Though we're actually much more like social primates than sheep. We feed off the mutual support of others like us. It's a viable survival technique in the wild, and it makes us feel good when survival isn't an issue. One should find a group that conforms to the ideas oneself has.
Red parts my understanding of what you say, bold parts emphasised by me.

The way I see it you make a turn of 180 degrees from the second to third paragraph. "Except those who do not want to belong" is basically "all the elements except for finitely many".

So, the way I understand it, what you say is that every individual that does not conform to a group searches for other individuals who do conform to their own believes to found a new group. I basically agree with this, however, you said that you should want to conform, which can be a mistake in simplification, but is actually contradicts with the later (as in later in your post) statement.

Rex. Stop creeping out the normals. :smallwink:
It's "sheep", not "normals". You have to speak in terms he understands. :smalltongue: Sorry Rex.

Reinboom
2007-11-07, 01:33 PM
meurmrrowwmeurnyumeowmrroww meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeurnyumeow meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyunyumeowmrroww meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumeurmrrowwmeowmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeurmrrowwmeow meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumeowmrrowwmeow meurnyumeurnyunyu meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumrrowwmeowmrrowwmeur meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyunyumeowmeur meowmrrowwmeurnyumrrowwmeur meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurmrrowwmeowmeurnyumeur meurnyumrrowwmeowmrrowwmeur meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumeurmrrowwmeowmeur meurnyumrrowwmeurmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumeownyumrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeowmeowmrroww
meow = 00 nyu = 11 meur = 0 mrroww = 1
I do believe there is more than just 'Sheep' 'Dog', and 'Wolf'. There are a lot of type of people out there, and very different ways of going about life. Some, not following, leading, or even caring - just living life to be free and cuddling who you will.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 01:47 PM
Yay! Hugs!

Aye, I kinda classified everything into conformists, pets, or wild ones, but with animal diction. A conformist seeks acceptance from the group from being like the group, a pet would rather be different from the group but longs to be accepted by the group, a wild one is neither accepted nor conforms to a group. That doesn't prevent them from leading a group.

valadil
2007-11-07, 02:48 PM
In the world, as I see it, there are dogs, sheep, and wolves.

That's pretty close to how I see it. My world has pigs, dogs, and sheep. But then again I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd.

bluewind95
2007-11-07, 04:57 PM
It does, actually, and there is a very clear distinction between the internet and real life. When that line blurs, problems can occur.

Would you wear a fursuit to a job interview?
Would you roleplay at work?
Would you use chatspeak with your relatives?

In "real life," you're expected to follow certain laws and social norms. The internet has its own set of guidelines which vary from location to location, yet the general principle remains that in the privacy of your own home, you have the capability to act radically different than you would out on the street. There's a certain suspension of reality that occurs on the internet.

You can speak and act freely because no one's really watching and the anonymity of the internet opens up possibilities that would not be normal, acceptable or legal in "real" life. You can be flirtatious without worrying, open without shame and rude without confrontation. The internet is far less real because the consequences of actions and speech aren't nearly as tangible or immediate. It's an imperfect means of communication and social interaction

Now I'm not making any particular judgment of anyone's lifestyle, yet I do maintain that the internet is not a valid substitute for real life. It's a barrier between you and everyone else, and while behind it, you can't completely relate to other people. The internet is not wholly real because it doesn't have all the pieces of "real" life. A relationship or a lifestyle based solely on something not wholly real can't be wholly real itself. Fantasy and role-playing aren't completely real, and neither is the internet.

Oh, I definitely agree with the fact that internet is not a substitute for offline life. What I meant is that internet people are real people. If you attack them, you're attacking a real person. The actions in the internet are many times a lot like a sort of... masquerade, yeah. But the person behind the mask is a real person anyways. I mean... a person in a costume will probably act a lot different than without the costume. But if you grab a bat and beat the person up, you're still hurting the person beneath the costume. There is a big distinction between online and offline life, definitely. I just don't like the standard of calling it "real life" versus "internet life" because I've seen a LOT of people shield themselves with that and attack and hurt people because "it isn't real. It's not important, so I can attack them and it doesn't matter". Personally, I prefer to call it "online life" and "offline life". Because it draws the line, but doesn't allow for people to be cruel just because of the fact they're not seeing the person behind the screen.

Greebo
2007-11-07, 05:01 PM
That's pretty close to how I see it. My world has pigs, dogs, and sheep. But then again I listen to a lot of Pink Floyd.

If you didn't care for me...
And I didn't care for you...

Sorry, thread hijack. We now return you to your regularly scheduled gab.

Setra
2007-11-07, 05:04 PM
Mine has 'humans' and 'everything else', the latter of which is a generalization.

Which doesn't sound bad until I begin classifying people as 'other things', because the traits I associate with humans are low within them.

Maryring
2007-11-07, 05:17 PM
I've never had any problems with furries. And that was before I realized that about half the males I meet online turn out to be a furry. Funny coincidence that. See, apparently, no one fits the mold of a normal person. No matter where you stand, your skewed outside view will show you a wrong view. That's why I never care for aspects alone, but the wholeness of each unique individual I meet.

Anyway, I, personally, am not a furry.

I'm a hummingbird.

Now I'm the princess of the moon.

Now I'm the king of a kingdom far far away.

Now I'm an old crone.

And now I'm some saint in disguise.

The only thing for certain about me is that I am me, I am proud of who I am, and I dislike those who can't be who they are, or refuse others to be who they are.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 05:19 PM
I'm a hummingbird.

Furry! :smallwink:

Maryring
2007-11-07, 05:22 PM
Hummingbird: Commonly used as a symbol for devotion.

Actually, on second thought, let me clarify. I'm a humminbird, because I'm devout. I'm a princess because I'm gentle. I'm a king because I'm stalwart. I'm a crone because I'm patient, and I'm a saint because I'm kind.

I called myself a hummingbird because I'd want you to think I was a furry, though if that was true, I am male, female, hermaphrodite and genderless. I'm old, middleaged and young. I'm all and nothing.

Confused yet? :smallwink: Good.

wadledo
2007-11-07, 05:30 PM
I called myself a hummingbird because I'd want you to think I was a furry, though if that was true, I am male, female, hermaphrodite and genderless. I'm old, middleaged and young. I'm all and nothing.

Confused yet? :smallwink: Good.

Not at all.:smallwink:
I, on the other hand, am a bodhisatta of hate.

That's a twister right there.

Also, I dress as a giant lobster regularly.
Does that make me odd? Lets see what they say, shall we?

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 08:22 PM

Actually, seeing as the entire thing relies on the suspension of disbelief, yes that does in fact make it less real.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 08:48 PM
Actually, seeing as the entire thing relies on the suspension of disbelief, yes that does in fact make it less real.

What entire thing? Talking to people online?

How does that force you to suspend your disbelief?

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 08:50 PM
O! No! He suspects us! We have failed the Turing Test!

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 08:53 PM
Great, now I'm gonna get deleted.

I hope you're happy.

reorith
2007-11-07, 08:53 PM
O! No! He suspects us! We have failed the Turing Test!

not only have we failed the turing test, we've also lost the game!

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 09:00 PM
What entire thing? Talking to people online?

How does that force you to suspend your disbelief?

Not the talking, but the content of the conversation. For example...

WOLFMAN: Oh I say, ol' chap. What a fantastic day to be a wolf.

FOXMAN: Why certainly. I too am enjoying being a Geigeresqu meld of a creature displaying both human and animal characteristics.

WOLFMAN: You mean.. anthropomorphic?

FOXMAN: Indeed, indeed my boy.

WOLFMAN: Capital, capital. I say rather this pish-posh about 'humans' what a filthy concept I find it.

FOXMAN: Really, do tell?

WOLFMAN: Well you see, in real life I am a large, un-employed potato of a man...

FOXMAN: Uh... Wolfma..

WOLFMAN: ...and at twenty-eight there seems little more in life, prospect wise...

FOXMAN: Wolf... my suspension of... disbelief... stop!

WOLFMAN: ...6 months of welfare checks to get that fursuit, finally I'll never need display my actual grotesque features...

FOXMAN: AHHHHHHHH MY PARENTS NEVER LOVED ME!!

WOLFMAN: Huh? Oh dear. It's no wonder we retreat into fantasy.

FOXMAN: Quite so, quite so.

WOLFMAN: So... care to yiff?

FOXMAN: Yes indeed, I know just the IRC channel for it.

WOLFMAN: Capital!

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 09:09 PM
Except... it's not. It isn't a roleplay or a fantasy, it's a lifestyle.

And while people may know about a lifestyle, those outside of a lifestyle((I avoid the word "choice" on purpose. As a Determinalist, I believe I have no choice.)), are rare to understand it. Furry, at some extents, feel they wear the guise of a potatoes of a man, and destroy that suspension of disbelief when they admit that they are indeed a wolf.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 09:28 PM
Or, sometimes, they very much accept that they're really humans and just like the thought of being something else.

Or, sometimes, they just like the art. Or they just like the animal.

Psuedo-spiritualism isn't the only way to be a furry, you know. :smallwink:

Forevergrey, why are Wolfman and Foxman (bad) British stereotypes?

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 09:30 PM
Except... it's not. It isn't a roleplay or a fantasy, it's a lifestyle.

ಠ_ಠ

And while people may know about a lifestyle, those outside of a lifestyle((I avoid the word "choice" on purpose. As a Determinalist, I believe I have no choice.)), are rare to understand it. Furry, at some extents, feel they wear the guise of a potatoes of a man, and destroy that suspension of disbelief when they admit that they are indeed a wolf.

Crazy psuedo-philosophy?

IN MY FURRY?

More likely than I had considered.

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 09:31 PM
Forevergrey, why are Wolfman and Foxman (bad) British stereotypes?

You can never go wrong with a third layer of absurdism.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 09:36 PM
Also: yes, being a furry can have an element of roleplay involved. But not every furry is like that.

Sure, I roleplay. I hang out on this board, what do you expect? But me being a furry isn't pretend; I just am. No, I'm not a... cat-fox or whatever, I'm human. I just have a few personality traits in common with cats and foxes, and I like both animals.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 09:36 PM
Aye, Yuki, but who's the one who takes the most offense to someone bashing elves? A person who RPS an Elf, a person who draws elves, or a person that believes they're an elf?

True, I may not actually be a dog, but I do have a state of bliss I achieve when I feel like one, who's to fault me for that?

Forevergrey
2007-11-07, 09:38 PM
Steve Jackson.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-07, 09:48 PM
Aye, Yuki, but who's the one who takes the most offense to someone bashing elves? A person who RPS an Elf, a person who draws elves, or a person that believes they're an elf?

That depends... which of them is the one who takes things the most personally? :smallwink:

The guy who believes he's an elf could easily be the mellowest guy ever.

Rex Idiotarum
2007-11-07, 10:07 PM
Same person, otherwise.

DarkLightDragon
2007-11-08, 04:48 AM
As it says in the article, ebtter than I think I could,

"Some people just like anthropomorphic art. As for people relating to animals, it ranges from 'I think they're cool' to 'I have traits in common, like I'm quiet as a mouse,' to 'Yes, I am a wolf in a human body and I must run free with my furry brothers!'"

There's basic, moderate, extreme. Small, medium and large. It's pretty simple :smallamused:

'I think they're cool' -basic?
'I have traits in common' -moderate?
'Yes, I am a wolf in a human body' -extreme?

If so, I would describe myself as a moderate dragon-furry. I see things I have in common, but I don't believe I am a dragon come to earth and trapped in a human body. I just think it would be really freakin' awesome if I were.

Ascobol
2007-11-08, 06:49 AM
FG, right now I could get ridiculously angry and further the stereotype that all furs get incredibly emotional and head-up-the-arse when someone makes that kind of reference.

But what I'm going to say instead is, quite simply, please stop. That kind of stuff you're saying, it's downright unpleasant, and you are only saying it to offend us and alienate the idea of the Furry community in the eyes of other members who don't know about us. We have enough negative press, please don't give us any more.

C'mon. It's just plain mean. Why penalise a group of people you know practically nothing about?

(Though I have to say, that dialogue was pretty funny :smallwink: )

Forevergrey
2007-11-08, 11:40 AM
'If so, I would describe myself as a moderate dragon-furry.

That makes you a 'scalie'
http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/Scalies

Why penalise a group of people you know practically nothing about?

(Though I have to say, that dialogue was pretty funny :smallwink: )

AH-HA! :smallbiggrin:

Also, glad you enjoyed it.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-08, 11:53 AM
Actually, wouldn't the fact that dragons aren't real make him "otherkin"?

Or does that only apply to the "I'm a dragon born into the body of a human" delusional types?

Forevergrey
2007-11-08, 11:59 AM
Otherkin is a cover-all term. Scalie is specific.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-08, 12:01 PM
But what if he believes he's a Lung dragon? :smallwink:

Forevergrey
2007-11-08, 12:10 PM
But what if he believes he's a Lung dragon? :smallwink:

He believes he's a cigarette? :smallcool:

Ascobol
2007-11-08, 12:24 PM
Me being British make it that much more offensive :smallbiggrin: An therefore that bit more funny.

And you can be a dragon and not be Otherkinl. Otherkin is more specifically those who believe that dragons souls inhabit them. The whole animal-soul thing isn't a perequisite in *every* fur.

*chuckles again*

Anon. and on
2007-11-08, 01:50 PM
I realize totally that, as part of the Legion of Ebaums, as I would also believe forevergrey is, I'm probably not the most welcome person on this thread, but the lulz must flow, and furries don't hurt others.

My observations on furry fandom -

FG, right now I could get ridiculously angry and further the stereotype that all furs get incredibly emotional and head-up-the-arse when someone makes that kind of reference.

From my experience, the reason that this impression exists is because, to some extent it is true.

Aah, anonysecution! :smalltongue:

However, this sort of defensive attitude exists as a result of a long-term program of trolling and wind-up campaigns that Anonymous, among others has co-ordinated. The more uptight furry people get as a result, the more epic lulz can be reaped, so the more defensive they get ... &c. It's a vicious circle.

Don't get me wrong, I do think that it's not your responsibility to change, but sometimes, instead of creating special 'defence groups' and stuff, laughing it off would make/b/Ebaums respect you more. It's not fair, granted, but teleologically, it's probably better in the long run.

Oh, and remove Furseiseki - Suiseiseki's ours! :smallwink:

WhiteKnight777
2007-11-08, 02:14 PM
Ebaums respect you more

Rather off-topic, but Ebaum's World is run by parasitic scumbags. They blatantly steal content from the rightful authors, use it to make a profit, use malicious code, and refuse to remove content at the rightful owner's requests.

And to be on topic for the thread... hmmm.. Well, I don't have a particular problem with most furries. The ones who irritate me are the ones who want to ram the "lifestyle" down your throat. Like anything else, if it works for you, great, glad it makes you happy, just don't try to convince me that I should convert.

my biggest issue with furries, or any of the really fringe fetishes, spiritual beliefs, what have you, is when they try to make you accept it as "normal" now normality itself is a difficult concept, because, let's face it, it's hard to say what defines normal when it comes to human behavior. On the other hand, I also don't think that everyone automatically deserves protected status for their beliefs just because it seems like a good idea to them. If you want to dress up in a raccoon suit and dry hump somebody in public, go ahead, but you really shouldn't be surprised when you get made fun of for it.

This is the sort of question I've spent a lot of time pondering, and it basically comes down to this. You have the right to believe/feel/think whatever seems right to you, but you also have to accept that other people have the right to think you're a bloody moron.

Of course, then we get into all sorts of gray areas regarding when practicing your rights starts to infringe upon other people's.... *Sigh* and now I'll stop rambling. Bottom line: It's a strange world. Live life, try to be happy, and don't take it too seriously. Nobody gets out alive, after all.

Reinboom
2007-11-08, 02:17 PM
I thought Suiseiseki belonged to Ebara Shibuko and Sendou Banri? Y'know, the original manga writers. (And, I'm personally a bigger fan of Souseiseki... Suiseiseki is just plain annoying - screw desu).

Also, there are 'fur' covered dragons that people uhm... represent? Is there a proper word for this?

Anon. and on
2007-11-08, 02:52 PM
Rather off-topic, but Ebaum's World is run by parasitic scumbags. They blatantly steal content from the rightful authors, use it to make a profit, use malicious code, and refuse to remove content at the rightful owner's requests.

When someone says that they're from ebaum's, don't necessarily take it at face value :smallwink: .

I thought Suiseiseki belonged to Ebara Shibuko and Sendou Banri? Y'know, the original manga writers. (And, I'm personally a bigger fan of Souseiseki... Suiseiseki is just plain annoying - screw desu).

Sorry, but ...
DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU DESU!

Also, there are 'fur' covered dragons that people uhm... represent? Is there a proper word for this?

I don't think so, actually; I think that the fact that it's fairly niche means that there's never really been a taxonomy (if you'll excuse the pun) of the fandom.

Yuki Akuma
2007-11-08, 03:02 PM
Souseiseki for life.

Love those scissors. And the idea of a boomerang hat is just ridiculous. >.>

Catch
2007-11-08, 03:14 PM
Oh, and remove Furseiseki - Suiseiseki's ours! :smallwink:

Well, Furseiseki is from 7chan, which is the internet playground for doing it wrong, anyway. Still, I love all the "YIFF IN HELL" rage that comes from posting anything with whiskers on the 'chans, which is probably why /fur/ is as dead as WT Snacks. Also, am I the only person who finds Furry Friday amusing? All that hysterical nerdrage concentrated on animal cartoons is just too funny to pass up. [/esoterica]

So, yeah. Are you furfolks familiar with WikiFur (http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/WikiFur_Furry_Central)? It has a decent cache of articles on the fandom.

(Is furfolks a good term? I think I just made it up.)

Anon. and on
2007-11-08, 04:20 PM
Well, Furseiseki is from 7chan, which is the internet playground for doing it wrong, anyway. Still, I love all the "YIFF IN HELL" rage that comes from posting anything with whiskers on the 'chans, which is probably why /fur/ is as dead as WT Snacks. Also, am I the only person who finds Furry Friday amusing? All that hysterical nerdrage concentrated on animal cartoons is just too funny to pass up. [/esoterica]

So, yeah. Are you furfolks familiar with WikiFur (http://furry.wikia.com/wiki/WikiFur_Furry_Central)? It has a decent cache of articles on the fandom.

(Is furfolks a good term? I think I just made it up.)

/fur/ was a pretty good April Fools, one has to admit - it generated huge amounts of ridiculous drama from both sides - I was surprised that, even there, everyone took themselves so seriously!

I'm actually surprised that wikifur's still alive. I mean, one would think that it was an even bigger target that Conservapedia (yeah, yeah, I know, no political discussions, just giving an example), given the wrath of Anonymous, but it still has managed to survive, despite being a wiki.

ChocolateChtulu
2007-11-08, 04:42 PM
I mean no disrespect,
but I have to ask: if - as I gathered from reading this thread - most furries are simply people who think it would be cool to be an anthropomorphic animal, how comes "furriness" (what is the appropriate term, by the way?) is considered a lifestyle and not merely a fandom?

I mean, there obviously is nothing to be said against wearing cat ears or enjoying anthropomorphic art, or even comparing one's personality to the one stereotypically attributed to a given species, but I just cannot see how this could be one's main personality trait: people are just too complex for this - don't individual furries have beliefs about politics and religion, or cultural roots, or personality traits?

And do not all these things define who they are much more than the hobby that they share?

Personally, I like to collect minerals and fly kites, but neither of these things is my "inner nature" or something pseudo-mystical like that: these are just things I enjoy, nothing more.

Costume parties are usually fun, and I don't see why one with an animal theme wouldn't; and moreover, I think everyone played the "If I were an animal, what would I be?" game sooner or later (I'd probably be a shield bug: they are just cool, and antennae would be fun to have :smallbiggrin:).

But that's not really enough to create a way of life, don't you think?

Albub
2007-11-08, 08:11 PM
You rule Chocolate Cthulu. Good post.
And that stuff I said before? My bad. It was all garbled from me being up all night doing biology homework, and had enough mistakes in simplification to wallpaper a small bedroom. I'm not fixing it either, too much effort. Just sort of forget I ever said it.

Also, all furries should be put on an airplane, which would then fly into the Atlantic ocean. And then turn into a submarine, which would take them to a massive underwater party where they could be themselves away from prejudiced minds. Friends can come too. That said, there should be the same sort of thing for literally everyone. football ones, tabletop wargaming ones, doctor ones. You name it.

Cobra_Ikari
2007-11-08, 09:05 PM
While an airplane-submarine would be hella awesome...I disagree. People shouldn't have to seek isolation in order to be themselves.

idioscosmos
2007-11-08, 09:32 PM

That actually fits my Chihuahuas fairly well.

Albub
2007-11-08, 10:22 PM
While an airplane-submarine would be hella awesome...I disagree. People shouldn't have to seek isolation in order to be themselves.

I know, I said it because my friend once used a similar (read: identical) phrase in regards to homosexuals, only it started off without the submarine part. he changed it later so that people wouldn't take offense. I just wanted to use it to honor him and his contribution to meeting my daily whimsy quota.

WhiteKnight777
2007-11-08, 10:55 PM

That's a good point.. on the other hand, neither do I think it's okay to force everyone to accept someone's personal choices/beliefs/kinks/fetishes. That's one of the points I was getting at earlier, or at least attempting to.

GreenReaper
2007-11-09, 05:51 PM
I'm actually surprised that wikifur's still alive. I mean, one would think that it was an even bigger target that Conservapedia (yeah, yeah, I know, no political discussions, just giving an example), given the wrath of Anonymous, but it still has managed to survive, despite being a wiki.
Sure it is, but we have teeth and claws to defend ourselves. :smallbiggrin:

Banning TOR helped a lot, admittedly. But what can vandals do, really? They edit the page, and then they get banned and their edits are reverted, usually within a matter of minutes. Then they have to get another IP address, which is a hassle. Or they can give up. And the sort of people who are vandals tend to be the same sort of people who give up easily - otherwise they'd have something better to spend their time on.

sktarq
2007-11-09, 07:22 PM
meurmrrowwmeurnyumeowmrroww meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeurnyumeow meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyunyumeowmrroww meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumeurmrrowwmeowmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeurmrrowwmeow meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumeowmrrowwmeow meurnyumeurnyunyu meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumrrowwmeowmrrowwmeur meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyunyumeowmeur meowmrrowwmeurnyumrrowwmeur meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurmrrowwmeowmeurnyumeur meurnyumrrowwmeowmrrowwmeur meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumeowmrrowwmeurmrroww meowmrrowwmeowmeowmeur meurnyumeurmrrowwmeowmeur meurnyumrrowwmeurmrrowwmeurmrroww meurnyumeownyumrroww meurnyumrrowwmeownyu meowmrrowwmeowmeowmrroww

Okay that just made WAY too much sense. Try catnip tea- actually quite good. Ok I'm pretty fluent in cat. There have been days I spoke only in cat-why It got the point across perfectly well and generally makes people smile if don't in a friendly way-thus it's fun. Even had a GF with whom I spoke mostly cat-why? because it was comunicating purly emotional content - instead of using a seires of spoken symbols we comunicated by tone, inflection, body language etc.-we ended up being able to read each other much better for that quirk. I think more people think of me as associated with the idea of cats or wolves than I do myself an over time I played to that expectation/oppertunity to have fun with people's heads/way to get girls than actual identification with. (Independent, Fuzzy (fro and a beard), Unsettling/Intense/Odd eyes, and many people think my constantly analysing of situations strikes them as predatory in manner)

As for the Fox/Cat thing....look at the Fossa (Proto-cat from Madagascar), the Grey Fox (it is much more feline acting variety of Vulpine), the Large Spotted Genet (Not Ganet that's a bird-you're looking for a kind of weasel actually but find a pick and you'll understand) and toss in most of the Civet family actually.

Forevergrey
2007-11-09, 09:22 PM
Crazy Crazy Crazy

http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1116/horrifiedod0.gif

sktarq
2007-11-10, 01:28 PM
http://img239.imageshack.us/img239/1116/horrifiedod0.gif

LOL-don't worry I'd probably think the same of you. :smalltongue: