PDA

View Full Version : Optimization whats a good 1-4th level wizard solo build/strategy against fiends?

newguydude1
2020-12-07, 07:11 PM
build is changeling wizard 4
2 flaws

rest is up to you.

no dragon mag
no webcontent unless its an errata or update
only 1st party materials. all books are allowed. however setting specific is not allowed like regional feats for faerun places, but setting neutral stuff inside setting specific books are allowed.

magicalmagicman
2020-12-08, 03:22 AM
Summon Marked Homunculus
Mount and then take 20 on handle animal to push it to defend you.
These meat shields will then stall the enemy while you get a sleep spell off.

Other than that, I don't see anything better you can do as a solo wizard.

SirNibbles
2020-12-08, 04:58 AM
If you know you're fighting Fiends, Bane Magic (Outsider) from Heroes of Horror, page 119 gets you +2d6 damage for free- with Power Word Pain, you get that damage every round. Depending on interpretation, you should also get +2 to your spell DCs , and the bonus damage should work on spells cast from staves (Lords of Madness, page 178).

newguydude1
2020-12-08, 05:04 AM
If you know you're fighting Fiends, Bane Magic (Outsider) from Heroes of Horror, page 119 gets you +2d6 damage for free- with Power Word Pain, you get that damage every round. Depending on interpretation, you should also get +2 to your spell DCs , and the bonus damage should work on spells cast from staves (Lords of Madness, page 178).

normally im against feats that only work on a single type, but goddamn the defenses on fiends is downright unfair.
ty for informing me of this feat. i suddenly feel like i can solo all the fiends.

combined with magicalmagicmans mount meat shield thingy i think i got something here.

gogogome
2020-12-08, 06:52 AM

I don't think it works like that.

When you cast a spell that deals damage against a specific creature type, you deal an extra 2d6 points of damage.

The first damage from Power Word Pain would receive the +2d6 damage. But all subsequent damage from Power Word Pain would still deal the normal 1d6 damage. Because you only get the bonus damage when you cast a spell. Your not casting the spell on subsequent rounds.

The feat is a reprint of Lords of Madness's version, and that version clearly states you only get the +2d6 damage once.

SirNibbles
2020-12-08, 08:06 AM
I don't think it works like that.

The first damage from Power Word Pain would receive the +2d6 damage. But all subsequent damage from Power Word Pain would still deal the normal 1d6 damage. Because you only get the bonus damage when you cast a spell. Your not casting the spell on subsequent rounds.

The feat is a reprint of Lords of Madness's version, and that version clearly states you only get the +2d6 damage once.

If a spell deals damage for more than 1 round, it deals this extra damage in each round.

Lords of Madness, page 178

gogogome
2020-12-08, 08:45 AM
If a spell deals damage for more than 1 round, it deals this extra damage in each round.

I stand corrected. Can't believe I missed that last sentence.

newguydude1
2020-12-10, 02:09 AM
changed the 1st post a bit

ok so i got
1 uncanny forethought
w1 spell mastery
f1 bane magic: outsider
f1 bane magic: undead
3 fiery burst

because undead is the most common power word pain immune enemy
because outsiders have too much defenses for normal power word pain to kill it.
everyone else dies to power word pain
but...

i dont have zombies with this build. so its not pwp against things my zombies fail at, and zombies everything else. i need another strategy. thats why i got fiery burst but fiery burst isnt exactly good.
using mounts as meatshields but i dont know if thatll hold at level 4.

cmon guys! whats the most op pure wizard changeling build that doesnt use dragon mag or web content?

Miss Disaster
2020-12-10, 02:42 AM
The general feat, 'Bane Magic', was first printed in Lords of Madness in April 2005.

6 months later, in October 2005, Heroes of Horror was released and revised/updated a newer version of the general feat, 'Bane Magic'.

Heavenblade
2020-12-10, 05:26 AM
If you can afford it, take improved familiar (complete scoundrel has options for your level). Next level take the substitution level that will let you get an Omni-familiar.

newguydude1
2020-12-11, 09:33 AM
so there hasnt been any responses in like ever concerning an actual build, so i cant help but conclude this is the best this forum can do.

mount pushed to defend + fiery burst against everything
power word pain + bane magic:outsider because virtually every single fire immune or resistant creature in the game at this level is an outsider.

i guess there really isnt anything a wizard can do this low level.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-11, 11:40 AM
Launch Bolt on a colossal size crossbow bolt (6d6 damage) might be of interest if you can get your attack bonus and stealth up enough. Many fiends have relatively low hit points for the CR. I could see this working well on a Sparrow Hengeyokai with the Surrogate Spellcasting feat where they would have an excellent hide and +14 to attack from size and dexterity.

Telonius
2020-12-11, 12:14 PM
So what kind of Fiend are you looking at, Devil or Demon? It matters a bit. Also, whether or not you're expecting to fight things that are CR-appropriate for your level. For Demons, the only ones (at least in the SRD) that are less than CR 6, are Dretch and Quasit (both at CR 2). For Devils, we have Barbazu at CR 5, Imp at CR 2, and Lemure at CR 1. Going up against a Barbazu is a very different prospect than going against a Lemure.

If you're expecting Quasits or Imps, Glitterdust is a good call. They both have Invisibility at will. Miss chance can really mess with you at any level, but it's really noticeable at lower levels when the rest of the party has fewer tricks to negate invisibility. Fire off a Glitterdust, and let the meatshields take care of it; plunk away with Magic Missile if you want to feel useful after that. Web is another good one to try if you can manage it; with their low strength, it's less likely they'll be able to break free.

For Lemures or Dretches, they're much less dangerous, but there's not as much that you can do against them that they'll care about. They have resistances and immunities to all the energy (except sonic and force), and you're unlikely to be able to punch through it at this level. They only have 20 movement, so you can kite them with Magic Missile. Grease is another good battlefield control spell here; they have no ranks in Balance, so Grease is extremely effective.

If you're heading against a Barbazu, you want to be nowhere near the thing. It has SR, which (again) is going to be hard for you to overcome at this level. So what you want are SR: No spells. So, again, something like Web, Grease, or even Glitterdust is a good call here. (Glitterdust gets a Will save or be blinded, and Will is its worst save). It's effectively a 50% miss chance for your whole party if it connects, and with the nastiness that a melee attack from this guy will do, that is a very good thing. Again, no ranks in Balance and no method of flying, so Grease is another great option.

newguydude1
2020-12-11, 05:59 PM
Launch Bolt on a colossal size crossbow bolt (6d6 damage) might be of interest if you can get your attack bonus and stealth up enough. Many fiends have relatively low hit points for the CR. I could see this working well on a Sparrow Hengeyokai with the Surrogate Spellcasting feat where they would have an excellent hide and +14 to attack from size and dexterity.

ill look it up. if i really can throw colossal bolts without penalty then this might be a good trick.

So what kind of Fiend are you looking at, Devil or Demon? It matters a bit. Also, whether or not you're expecting to fight things that are CR-appropriate for your level. For Demons, the only ones (at least in the SRD) that are less than CR 6, are Dretch and Quasit (both at CR 2). For Devils, we have Barbazu at CR 5, Imp at CR 2, and Lemure at CR 1. Going up against a Barbazu is a very different prospect than going against a Lemure.

If you're expecting Quasits or Imps, Glitterdust is a good call. They both have Invisibility at will. Miss chance can really mess with you at any level, but it's really noticeable at lower levels when the rest of the party has fewer tricks to negate invisibility. Fire off a Glitterdust, and let the meatshields take care of it; plunk away with Magic Missile if you want to feel useful after that. Web is another good one to try if you can manage it; with their low strength, it's less likely they'll be able to break free.

For Lemures or Dretches, they're much less dangerous, but there's not as much that you can do against them that they'll care about. They have resistances and immunities to all the energy (except sonic and force), and you're unlikely to be able to punch through it at this level. They only have 20 movement, so you can kite them with Magic Missile. Grease is another good battlefield control spell here; they have no ranks in Balance, so Grease is extremely effective.

If you're heading against a Barbazu, you want to be nowhere near the thing. It has SR, which (again) is going to be hard for you to overcome at this level. So what you want are SR: No spells. So, again, something like Web, Grease, or even Glitterdust is a good call here. (Glitterdust gets a Will save or be blinded, and Will is its worst save). It's effectively a 50% miss chance for your whole party if it connects, and with the nastiness that a melee attack from this guy will do, that is a very good thing. Again, no ranks in Balance and no method of flying, so Grease is another great option.

copy and pasted from my dms list
CR1
Demon, Mane
Devil, Lemure

CR2
Demon, Dretch
Demon, Nashrou
Demon, Quasit
Devil, Imp
Devil, Nupperibo

CR3
Demon, Gadacro
Demon, Rutterkin
Devil, Merregon (Legion Devil)

CR4
Demon, Carnage
Demon, Guecubu
Demon, Ekolid
Devil, Spinagon
Devil, White Abishai

CR5
Demon, Bar-Lgura
Demon, Juvenile Nabassu
Devil, Barbazu
Devil, Black Abishai
Devil, Narzugon

CR6
Demon, Babau
Demon, Broodswarm
Devil, Bueroza (Steel Devil)
Devil, Kyton
Devil, Green Abishai
Devil, Gulthir

CR7
Demon, Armanite
Demon, Arrow
Demon, Succubus
Devil, Amnizu
Devil, Bezekira
Devil, Blue Abishai
Devil, Falxugon (Harvester Devil)
Devil, Excruciarch (Pain Devil)

CR8
Demon, Dybbuk
Demon, Solamith
Demon, Yochlol
Devil, Erinyes
Devil, Orthon
Devil, Red Abishai

CR9
Demon, Bulezau
Demon, Vrock
Demon, Whisper
Devil, Osyluth
Devil, Stitched Devil

CR10
Demon, Adaru
Demon, Bebilith
Demon, Chasme
Demon, Draudnu

CR11
Demon, Hezrou
Demon, Kastighur
Demon, Retriever
Devil, Dogai (Assassin Devil)
Devil, Hamatula
Devil, Brachina (Pleasure Devil)

CR12
Demon, Lilitu
Devil, Ayperobos Swarm

CR13
Demon, Glabrezu
Devil, Gelugon

CR14
Demon, Nalfeshnee
Devil, Malebranche

CR15
Demon, Mature Nabassu
Demon, Sibriex
Devil, Xerfilstyx
Devil, Remmanon

CR16
Demon, Goristro
Devil, Cornugon

CR17
Demon, Marilith
Demon, Sorrowsworn

CR18
Demon, Deathdrinker
Devil, Paeliryon

CR19
Demon, Molydeus
Devil, Hellfire Engine
Juiblex, The Faceless Lord

CR20
Demon, Balor
Devil, Pit Fiend
Baphomet, Prince of Beasts
Yeenoghu, Prince of Gnolls

CR21
Fraz-Urb'luu, Prince of Deception
Kostchtchie, Prince of Wrath
Malacanthet, Queen of the Succubi
Pale Night, the Mother of Demons
Zuggtmoy, Lady of Fungi

CR22
Dagon, Prince of Depths
Graz'zt, The Dark Prince
Obox-ob, Prince of Vermin
Orcus, Prince of the Undead
Pazuzu, Prince of the Lower Aerial Kingdoms

CR23
Demogorgon, Prince of Demons

right now i can pick and choose what fiend i face against, because when he picked i got clobbered. like how the hell am i supposed to kill a spinagon when he outranges all of my spells.

in exchange for picking what fiend i fight, the fiend gets a 100% success chance at their summoning, and they get maximum number of summons each time.

i usually choose carnage demon as my first fight because a single power word pain kills him and i get enough xp to level up just from him.

edit: some additional rules. the fight has a time limit, 24 hours. if by 24 hours no one is dead because, you know, fiends can just teleport away forever, the one thats avoiding the fight gets killed. so if the imp runs away with invisibility, he dies at the end. if i run away underground from the spinagon, i die at the end.

edit2: its also a solo wizard build so no party.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-11, 09:49 PM
ill look it up. if i really can throw colossal bolts without penalty then this might be a good trick.
I think the question is, what does it mean when it says:

... as if you had fired it from a light crossbow...
In particular, does it mean that the bolt you can launch varies with your size?

...fiends...
Why not just tag with Power Word:Pain and then run/defend? The low-level ones have no defense against PWP except for the Lemure, which is easily handled otherwise.

newguydude1
2020-12-11, 10:23 PM
Why not just tag with Power Word:Pain and then run/defend? The low-level ones have no defense against PWP except for the Lemure, which is easily handled otherwise.

cr3 and cr4 fiends are too strong for pwp. spinagon outranges. rutterkin got too much bulk. ekolid got fast healing 5. guecubu is perma invis.

bane magic i think might solve it so im grabbing it. but normal pwp fails or almost fails from cr3 forward.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-11, 10:44 PM
cr3 and cr4 fiends are too strong for pwp. spinagon outranges. rutterkin got too much bulk. ekolid got fast healing 5. guecubu is perma invis.

bane magic i think might solve it so im grabbing it. but normal pwp fails or almost fails from cr3 forward.

Why are you starting with CR3/4 fiends as a level 1 character? More generally, what is the exact challenge you are trying to overcome? Defeating a sequence of fiends (Which you choose? Are there constraints?) solo with how much downtime between combats?

I'm personally skeptical that Bane Magic applies on every round of PWP. (Yes, I understand that Aberration Banemagic does, but that text is missing.)

newguydude1
2020-12-11, 10:47 PM
Why are you starting with CR3/4 fiends as a level 1 character? More generally, what is the exact challenge you are trying to overcome? Defeating a sequence of fiends (Which you choose? Are there constraints?) solo with how much downtime between combats?

I'm personally skeptical that Bane Magic applies on every round of PWP. (Yes, I understand that Aberration Banemagic does, but that text is missing.)

level 1-4, not just 1.

pwp carries me until level 3, which is when i noticed it starts to fail. so i made this thread to get a good strategy.

exact challenge is solo kill every single fiend in the game, level 1-20. but at 5 i get mirror mephit and i can handle it from there, so the challenge is surviving until level 5. originally it was dm chooses the fiend but i cant beat that so we lowered the difficulty to i choose.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-11, 11:10 PM
level 1-4, not just 1.

pwp carries me until level 3, which is when i noticed it starts to fail. so i made this thread to get a good strategy.

exact challenge is solo kill every single fiend in the game, level 1-20. but at 5 i get mirror mephit and i can handle it from there, so the challenge is surviving until level 5. originally it was dm chooses the fiend but i cant beat that so we lowered the difficulty to i choose.

I'm assuming you are starting fresh for each combat, that you have access to no flaws, and that you must be a sorcerer.

In that case, Sudden Maximize is pretty mean since it maximizes both duration and damage for PWP. That may carry you through level 4?

InvisibleBison
2020-12-11, 11:22 PM
In that case, Sudden Maximize is pretty mean since it maximizes both duration and damage for PWP.

I don't think this is correct. Maximize Spell maximizes the "variable, numeric effects of a spell". PWP's duration is variable and numeric, but it's not an effect. Thus, it wouldn't be maximized.

newguydude1
2020-12-11, 11:31 PM
I'm assuming you are starting fresh for each combat, that you have access to no flaws, and that you must be a sorcerer.

In that case, Sudden Maximize is pretty mean since it maximizes both duration and damage for PWP. That may carry you through level 4?

no im a wizard now. i have 2 flaws. starting fresh is an issue with my dm. he doesnt like novaing, but my character has to unload all his spells on one encounter sometimes, so his response regarding this is just "try your best" and "if i feel like your novaing you lose".

so when i cast all of my pwps in a single encounter because of that 100% summon chance thing he gave his fiends, he doesn't complain. but when i prepare all magic missiles and rest every encounter then he complains.

bane magic outsider might carry me to 4 because 3d6 damage a round is nice. but no banemagic, just normal pwp, doesnt because so many fiends have regeneration and fast healing theyll just run away, let pwp end, heal up, then re-engage.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-11, 11:48 PM
I don't think this is correct. Maximize Spell maximizes the "variable, numeric effects of a spell". PWP's duration is variable and numeric, but it's not an effect. Thus, it wouldn't be maximized.
Do you have a citation on that? I've always thought of the duration as one aspect of an effect and a quick skim doesn't reveal any contradictions.

Pain-causing-damage with a 10 round duration is a measurably different effect from pain-causing-damage with a 20 round duration. Treating these as the same effect seems like a head-scratcher since it's an assertion that the effects are either treating these as the same effect (... even though they are demonstrably different) or declaring that a cast spell leaves an effect and a duration, where these are somehow different entities. The first seems contradictory and the second seems to lack rules support?

BTW, Extend Spell (or Sudden Extend) seem like the obvious choices for the prerequisite of Sudden Maximize. An Extended Maximized PWP is deadly up to 75hp (assuming we do maximize the duration).

InvisibleBison
2020-12-12, 08:26 AM
Do you have a citation on that? I've always thought of the duration as one aspect of an effect and a quick skim doesn't reveal any contradictions.

The way I see it, the effect of the spell is what the spell does, and the duration is how long it does it for. This is an area where the rules are ambiguous, though, as maximize spell doesn't define what constitutes a spell's effect.

SirNibbles
2020-12-12, 08:41 AM

An aberration-specific version of this feat first appeared in Lords of Madness: The Book of Aberrations.

Heroes of Horror, page 119

I interpret this as 'this feat functions in the same manner as Aberration Banemagic, but you can now choose any creature type.'

__

The way I see it, the effect of the spell is what the spell does, and the duration is how long it does it for. This is an area where the rules are ambiguous, though, as maximize spell doesn't define what constitutes a spell's effect.

I'd say Maximize Spell would also affect the duration of Power Word: Pain.

A maximized spell deals maximum damage, cures the maximum number of hit points, affects the maximum number of targets, etc., as appropriate.

Player's Handbook, page 97

It's definitely ambiguous and I wouldn't really argue with a DM who ruled either way.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-12, 11:18 AM
no im a wizard now. i have 2 flaws. starting fresh is an issue with my dm. he doesnt like novaing, but my character has to unload all his spells on one encounter sometimes, so his response regarding this is just "try your best" and "if i feel like your novaing you lose".

so when i cast all of my pwps in a single encounter because of that 100% summon chance thing he gave his fiends, he doesn't complain. but when i prepare all magic missiles and rest every encounter then he complains.

bane magic outsider might carry me to 4 because 3d6 damage a round is nice. but no banemagic, just normal pwp, doesnt because so many fiends have regeneration and fast healing theyll just run away, let pwp end, heal up, then re-engage.

Structurally, you are trying to punch about 4 levels above your weight class, which is why this is somewhat difficult. In particular, the game is designed around a party of 4 typically confronting ~4 encounters/day of the party's level. For a party of 1, this opponents with CR=character level are supposed to be very challenging (= character often dies).

Digesting your list:

CR1
Demon, Mane 6hp AC 14 init+0 Move 20', DR 5/cold iron or good, resist 10 acid/cold/fire
Devil, Lemure 9hp AC 14 init+0 Move 20', DR 5/good or silver, resist 10 acid/cold, immune fire, mind-affecting

CR2
Demon, Dretch 13hp AC 16 init+0 Move 20', DR 5/cold iron or good, resist 10 fire/cold/acid, immune electricity
Demon, Nashrou 42hp AC 15 init+6 Move 50', DR 5/cold iron or good
Demon, Quasit 13hp fast heal 2 AC 18 init+7 Fly 50', DR 5/cold iron or good, resist 10 fire, invisibility
Devil, Imp 13hp fast heal 2 AC 20 init+3 Fly 50', DR 5/good or silver, resist 5 fire, invisibility
Devil, Nupperibo 16hp fast heal 3 AC 14 init-4 move 20', resist 10 acid/cold, immune fire/mind-affecting, blindsight 30'

CR3
Demon, Gadacro 26hp AC 15 init+4 Fly 40', DR 5/cold iron or good, resist 10 acid/cold/fire, immune electricity
Demon, Rutterkin 37hp AC 18 init+2 Move 20', DR 5/cold iron or good, resists 10 acid/cold/fire, SR 14, immune electricity, darkness, 20' range increment attack+7 2d4+2
Devil, Merregon (Legion Devil) 19hp AC 21 init+3 move 30, DR 5/magic, resist 10 acid/cold, immune fire, fear, 100' range increment+6 1d8

CR4
Demon, Carnage 19hp AC 13 Init+0, move 30', DR 5/silver, resist 10 acid/cold/fire, immune electricity
Demon, Guecubu 26hp AC 15 Init+2, Fly 30', DR 5/cold iron or lawful, resist cold 10, immune acid/electricity/fire, Incorporeal, improved invisibility, telekinesis
Demon, Ekolid 39hp fast heal 5 AC 17 init+3, Fly 60', DR 5/cold iron or lawful, resist acid/cold/electricity/fire 10, immune mind-affecting, extra move
Devil, Spinagon 19hp AC 24 init+7, Fly 120', DR 5/magic, resist 10 acid/cold, immune fire, 60' range attack+11 1d3+1d4 fire.
Devil, White Abishai 28hp regen 1/good AC 19 Init+6, Fly 40', DR 5/good, resist 10 acid, immune cold/fire

Looking through these, I don't think you ever need to cast a spell against a chosen opponent of each CR. Just use an animal companion horse to maintain range and a crossbow with appropriately tipped quarrels to cause damage.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-12, 11:20 AM
I interpret this as 'this feat functions in the same manner as Aberration Banemagic, but you can now choose any creature type.'

I don't think this reference gives you license to ignore the text of the Bane Magic feat. The feat itself says 2d6, not 2d6/round of damage.

SirNibbles
2020-12-12, 04:44 PM
I don't think this reference gives you license to ignore the text of the Bane Magic feat. The feat itself says 2d6, not 2d6/round of damage.

If the reference means the feat functions in a manner identical to Aberration Banemagic (aside from the choice of creature type), then it must be 2d6 per round because that's what Aberration Banemagic says.

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 06:38 PM

hoh version can be interpreted multiple ways. hoh versions magic missile can be interpreted so that each missile gets 2d6 damage. hoh version can be interpreted so that each pwp damage gets 2d6 damage.
then we look at aberration bane magic and know only one missile gets 2d6 and each pwp damage does get 2d6 damage.

Looking through these, I don't think you ever need to cast a spell against a chosen opponent of each CR. Just use an animal companion horse to maintain range and a crossbow with appropriately tipped quarrels to cause damage.

robinson crusoe setting so i got no mundane gear unless i craft it myself. so the strategy is atm cast pwp then either run like the win on the mount like you said, or stay inside a stone or wooden box to wait out the duration.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-12, 10:42 PM
hoh version can be interpreted multiple ways.
Do you think Blistering Spell can be interpreted in multiple ways? It has the same extra damage language. My reading of Blistering Spell is that it causes exactly an extra 2 points of fire damage per spell level, independent of the duration.

Anyways, I think my view is clear here.

robinson crusoe setting so i got no mundane gear unless i craft it myself. so the strategy is atm cast pwp then either run like the win on the mount like you said, or stay inside a stone or wooden box to wait out the duration.
Craft is a class skill for a wizard and it does have an Int focus, so perhaps it's reasonable to equip yourself?

Aside from PWP, you might want to consider a Sudden Maximize Bane Magic Sunstroke. A guaranteed 24 nonlethal damage is fairly solid.

On your list, the hard cases seem to be:
1) CR2 Quasit and Imp have Invisibility before you can access See Invisibility. Maybe just ready an action and wait for them to appear?
2) CR3 Rutterkin has SR 14 and a 20' increment ranged attack. Arcane Mastery is one short of penetrating at ECL 3. They are quite slow, so the crossbow approach seems favored.
3) CR4 Guecubu has incorporeal, improved invisibility, and telekinesis. You can beat improved invisibility with See Invisibility, but reliably penetrating incorporeal requires a force effect or Transdimensional spell. A Sudden Maximize Bane Magic Force Hammer would make it unconscious.
4) CR4 Ekolid is fast, flies, has immunity to mind-affecting, and has fast heal 5 with a large reserve of hp. This one is tough because it can just leave if it takes substantial damage, and then come back after it fast heals. Violate Spell could prevent that, although it requires evil and also quite a few spells since only half the damage is vile.
5) CR4 Spinagon is fast, flies, and has a high bonus 60' ranged attack. Maybe something like Sudden Maximize Bane Magic Blast of Force? That has enough range and does enough damage.

Something like:
Flaw 1: Extend Spell
Flaw 2: Sudden Maximize
1. Bane Magic[Outsider]
Trade familiar for Animal Companion[light horse]
Martial Wizard 1: Improved Initiative
3. ??

Level 1 spells: Power Word:Pain, Lesser Orb of Sound, Sunstroke, Nerveskitter
Level 2 spells: See Invisibility, Force Hammer, Blast of Force, Alter Self (is there a flying humanoid?)

This may deal with everything except the Ekolid.

newguydude1
2020-12-13, 09:55 AM
Craft is a class skill for a wizard and it does have an Int focus, so perhaps it's reasonable to equip yourself?

where can i source cold iron? its gotta be everywhere and i need locate object to source it. or good aligned bolts.

Aside from PWP, you might want to consider a Sudden Maximize Bane Magic Sunstroke. A guaranteed 24 nonlethal damage is fairly solid.

sudden maximize only works once so im not really into it. my dm gives his fiends 100% summon chance at maximum number of summons in exchange for me picking my enemies. so most fights are 1v2 or 1v3 (not counting my minions). doesnt seem like a good choice.

but sudden maximize power word pain does seem like it can kill fiends that cant summon more. ill need to look into this thanks.

On your list, the hard cases seem to be:
1) CR2 Quasit and Imp have Invisibility before you can access See Invisibility. Maybe just ready an action and wait for them to appear?
2) CR3 Rutterkin has SR 14 and a 20' increment ranged attack. Arcane Mastery is one short of penetrating at ECL 3. They are quite slow, so the crossbow approach seems favored.
3) CR4 Guecubu has incorporeal, improved invisibility, and telekinesis. You can beat improved invisibility with See Invisibility, but reliably penetrating incorporeal requires a force effect or Transdimensional spell. A Sudden Maximize Bane Magic Force Hammer would make it unconscious.
4) CR4 Ekolid is fast, flies, has immunity to mind-affecting, and has fast heal 5 with a large reserve of hp. This one is tough because it can just leave if it takes substantial damage, and then come back after it fast heals. Violate Spell could prevent that, although it requires evil and also quite a few spells since only half the damage is vile.
5) CR4 Spinagon is fast, flies, and has a high bonus 60' ranged attack. Maybe something like Sudden Maximize Bane Magic Blast of Force? That has enough range and does enough damage.

the spinagon i give up. i cant outrange its 60ft.
the guecubu i also give up. it will always get the jump on me, always, and one bad saving throw and its gg, minions or no
ekolid i killed before with zombie bisons grappling it still as they beat on it. but no zombies in this build so i give up also.

im in a box made out of wood or stone so quasits and imps cant get the drop on me so they werent a huge problem. they alternate form into boar/wolf and that gave me huge trouble with their dr and fast healing and invis to escape, but i can handle that.

rutterkins just have too much hp (theres 2 cause of summon), but with bane magic, i know you disagree but thats how my dm is ruling it, should take care of him.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-13, 02:59 PM
where can i source cold iron? its gotta be everywhere and i need locate object to source it. or good aligned bolts.
That's definitely tough.

my dm gives his fiends 100% summon chance at maximum number of summons in exchange for me picking my enemies. so most fights are 1v2 or 1v3 (not counting my minions).

I don't understand why the summons are relevant. If you just run away, then they disappear in an hour. As long as the summons are slower than you, they don't seem very relevant to the challenge.

the spinagon i give up. i cant outrange its 60ft.

Light of Mercuria looks like a good Spinagon killer. More range than the Spinagon and 8d6 damage is enough to usually put them down.

Overall, I'm wondering about the following build:
Sparrow Hengeyokai Wizard 4
Flaw 1: Bane Magic[Outsider]
Flaw 2: Spell Thematics[Power Word Pain, Force Hammer]
Wizard 1: Scribe Scroll
1. Surrogate Spellcasting
3. Arcane Mastery

Str 8, Dex 8, Con 16, Int 18, Wis 12=14-2, Cha 8
Skills:
Spellcraft 8=4(ranks)+4(Int)
Craft[papermaking] 8=4(ranks)+4(Int)
Craft[weaponmaking] 8=4(ranks)+4(Int)
Hide 24= 2(ranks)+16(size)+6(Dex)
Move Silently 8 = 2(ranks)+6(Dex)

Spells:
1. Power Word:Pain, Light of Venya, Nerveskitter, Sunstroke, Mage Armor
2. Light of Mercuria, Force Hammer, See Invisibility, Earthbind

Level 1 is easy. You are in sparrow form and nuke the Mane/Lemure with Light of Venya

Level 2 is trickier.
You hide to avoid being surprised by the Imp/Quasit, then Bane Sunstroke them when they can be found. This likely knocks them out, so you can shift back to hybrid form and apply a quarterstaff beatdown.
The Dretch and Nupperibo are taken care of by a Bane Light Of Venya.
The Nashrou has a ridiculous amount of hps, but a Bane Power Word:Pain about finishes it off and it can't attack while you stay in the air.

Level 3 is relatively easy. You'll want to use mage armor to make yourself unhittable by the ranged attackers. Bane Light of Mercuria does an expected 35 damage or Bane Power Word:Pain does an expected 42. Either will penetrate the Rutterkin's SR given the bonus from Spell Thematics.

Level 4 is the trickiest.
Carnage is easy and White Abishai falls to Light of Mercuria.
Guecubu is tricky, but if you entice it high into the air, then cast See Inivisibility, it can't escape into the ground quickly. At that point, you could smack it with a Bane Force Hammer (twice) or use Light of Mercuria/Venya and hope your magic hits.
The Ekolid is fast but lacks range. If you can reduce their maneuverability with a net, that may be helpful. Other than that, Earthbind is worth a shot. Once they are ground-bound, Bane Light of Mercuria delivers a large dollop of damage. Following up with something else would finish them off.
The Spinagon is quite difficult, but since you can fly and it's range is limited, you should be able to close the range and hit it with power word:pain or a Bane Force Hammer. If you are lucky, you might even pull off an ambush. Mage Armor will help quite a bit with the Spinagon's ranged attacks.

newguydude1
2020-12-13, 03:55 PM
i have to be a changeling. its crucial to my mirror mephit plan. that substitution level that lets me transform my familiar. i get an earth elemental familiar at level 5, cast locate object on it, and have it traverse the underground, days if it has to, to get me 250gp of rubies. at which point i cast suffer the flesh to boost my cl by 2 by 1 round which is long enough for my earth elemental to transform into a mirror mephit.

level 1 is easy. i actually start off with a carnage demon. my riding dog animal companion gets killed but while the demon is killing my dog i land a pwp on it and it dies. instant level up.

level 2-4 i will look into all the tactics you said. i used to get 2 zombie riding dogs and they kinda won the fights for me, especially the dretch since theyre immune to stinking cloud, but i cant fit fell animate into the build on the account of me needing to retrain out my animal companion back to a familiar. ill replace all of your stay in the air tactics with stay inside a wooden or stone box. hardness is a bitch to get through at this level.

retraining rules are allowed so yeah, keep that in mind too.

Anthrowhale
2020-12-13, 08:08 PM
ill replace all of your stay in the air tactics with stay inside a wooden or stone box. hardness is a bitch to get through at this level.

If you can retrain, then I'd suggest replacing familiar with an animal companion light horse. The horse is superior to a box in that most summons become irrelevant when you have a horse---you just play keep away for an hour. Having your familiar slot defeat most summons is quite powerful.

Note that you can train a horse and a horse trained for war (not a warhorse) has some reasonably potent attacks in it's own right.