PDA

View Full Version : Rune Knights giants might

Ebat3
2020-12-07, 07:17 PM
Do his weapons grow with him??

Darthnazrael
2020-12-07, 07:35 PM
This is a flavor interpretation up to your DM, but I'd assume most would say yes. Mechanically, weapons dont have sizes in 5e. If you're wondering whether your halberd that enlarged with you when you grew will do more damage in your barbarian friend's hands, no. The only mechanical impact of the class feature is the bonus damage die. The flavor is for you and your dm to sort out.

Zhorn
2020-12-07, 10:02 PM
Do his weapons grow with him??
This is a real head scratcher.
I would have automatically gone with 'yes' but looking into the specific wording it is vague enough to possibly be 'no' :smallfrown:
In this instance; Giant's Might specifies "If you are smaller than Large, you become Large, along with anything you are wearing."
So yay, we know you don't hulk-rip through your clothing and armor. If you wear it, it is safe from growth damage.
But it doesn't specify 'carrying'.

For comparison we can look at two other features that function similarly;

the Enlarge spell (PHB p237)

"If the target is a creature, everything it is wearing and carrying changes size with it."
and the Duergar's Enlarge ability (MM p122)

"For 1 minute, the duergar magically increases in size, along with anything it is wearing or carrying."

Both specify carrying which would cover the inclusion of their weapons also being effected by the size increase.

Mechanically, weapons dont have sizes in 5e.
Actually they do, it's just the size range for equipment for Small and Medium creatures is treated as negligible with the PHB weapons being sized for medium creatures, and the Heavy property used to rule out weapons too big for Small sized creatures to wield effectively.
Then for creatures larger than Medium, weapons that are sized appropriately for them have extra damage dice based on the size.
DMG p278
"Big monsters typically wield oversized weapons that deal extra dice of damage on a hit. Double the weapon dice if the creature is Large, triple the weapon dice if it's Huge, and quadruple the weapon dice if it's Gargantuan. For example, a Huge giant wielding an appropriately sized greataxe deals 3d12 slashing damage (plus its Strength bonus), instead of the normal 1d12."

This rule is consistent with the statblocks in the Monster Manual and other bestiaries. The Enlarge spell in the PHB is a bit off in that it just gives an extra d4 (I tend to houserule that to be more consistent with all other size dependencies), but the Duegar's Enlarge ability increases weapon damage dice appropriately for the size increase from Medium to Large.

Earlier editions had a more granular approach to weapon sizes, so I think that's what Darthnazrael was thinking of when looking at 5e with how it has been simplified for player races compared to something like was the case in 3.5e, but it still exists.

Back onto the topic of Giant's Might, I'd still want to say yes, but I would say officially you wouldn't get the benefit of an increased weapon size outside of the specifics of the feature. Here Giant's Might specifies that you get an additional 1d6 to damage rolls with weapons and unarmed strikes (similar to the Enlarge spells additional 1d4).
If you'd want to push for weapon damage increasing based on DMG and MM weapons, I'd say you should do it in place of this bonus, not in addition to it. But that is definitely into DM fiat territory.