PDA

View Full Version : Advice for ranged Eldritch Knight reaching level 4

Lord_Dots
2020-12-07, 08:33 PM
Greetings! My party has just reached level 4, and I am extremely torn on what to do with my character. Any advice for my build is appreciated!

Currently, I am stuck on whether to pick a feat or to simply improve my DEX. The feat I am considering is fey touched to get access to Misty Step early and Hunter's Mark. Also, to give my character more options and fun flavor. My character is a High Elf with the archery fighting style. These are her stats:
ST, DEX, CON, INT, WIS, CHAR
8, 16, 14, 18, 12, 8

The 18 in INT comes from a homebrewed magic item (started at a 16). Longbow is primary weapon and has been enhanced by an artificer in the party, so I currently receive a +8 to hit and a +4 to damage.

Only other important thing to note is that I am heavily considering taking a minimum of 2 level of Wizard at some point -- War Magic subclass.

TyGuy
2020-12-07, 09:37 PM
Take the feat. 4-6 feels like forever without neat things to do in combat. Misty step is awesome. I would consider fey teleportation over it actually. But I really like misty step.

Lord_Dots
2020-12-07, 10:41 PM
Take the feat. 4-6 feels like forever without neat things to do in combat. Misty step is awesome. I would consider fey teleportation over it actually. But I really like misty step.

Thank you for your input! I had been leaning towards Fey Teleportation at first but then realized that Fey Touched allowed me to use my spell slots to cast Misty Step where Fey Teleportation does not (or that is how I read it). Plus Hunter's Mark could lead to a nice little bit of additional damage until the better spells come along?

Sherlockpwns
2020-12-08, 12:59 AM
Well, I agree taking the feat will be more fun and probably just as effective.

I will point out that both abilities add the spell to your list, it’s not like you’ll even have level 2 spells until level 7, and it’s competing hard with other very valuable spells. Still, I agree that I’d take fey touched over teleport most of the time- unless your party and DM do a lot of short rests.

That all said you can take hex over hunter mark, arguably better in nearly every way. I’d also consider Bless, because you can never have too much hit and save bonuses.

There is technically nothing that I know of which prevents you from taking both at level 6... in case you find yourself teleporting a lot. It would also let you get int to +2. Not saying I suggest doing this, but you can!

Lord_Dots
2020-12-08, 09:21 AM
That all said you can take hex over hunter mark, arguably better in nearly every way. I’d also consider Bless, because you can never have too much hit and save bonuses.

I will look into those -- thank you! I'm a newer player, so all of your thoughts really help! Wanna make sure I'm not overlooking things/making a bad call for my character early game.

da newt
2020-12-08, 09:42 AM
Many folks take Sharp Shooter for a ranged focused fighter (especially EK w/ Familiar for HELP/ADV).

+2 Dex will give you +1 to hit, +1 dam, +1 AC, +1 Initiative

Fey Touched will give you once per day Misty Step (until lvl 7 when you get your first lvl 2 spell slot) and HM or HX or Bless.

I don't think you can go wrong here especially with the extra ASI at lvl 6. The Feats feel more fun/impactful, but bumping Dex is also very effective.

Lord_Dots
2020-12-08, 10:17 AM
Many folks take Sharp Shooter for a ranged focused fighter (especially EK w/ Familiar for HELP/ADV).

Any advice on when to potentially take sharpshooter? I had considered that feat for the future (maybe level 8 or level 12) unless it is better sooner rather than later. A little worried about the gamble with the -5 to hit, though. Having to decide when or when not to use it sounds nerve-wracking to me (plus I'm a very indecisive person). My DM also hates the fact that my familiar can grant me advantage. I have a small fear that my owl may eventually get targeted if I continue to never miss lol. I know not having to worry about cover is always a bonus with that feat, though!

If I do end up multi-classing, I was considering doing so after level 5 or 6, and I know that will delay things too. Planning ahead is hard!

Also, thank you for your input!

TyGuy
2020-12-08, 10:19 AM
Still, I agree that I’d take fey touched over teleport most of the time- unless your party and DM do a lot of short rests.

I forget that most tables don't do enough short rests for balance. If your table doesn't do a lot of short rests then definitely avoid fey teleportation!