PDA

View Full Version : Ideas for building an impostor

MathShaman
2020-12-07, 09:46 PM
Imagine a "Gaston" from Beauty and the Beast who travels around the countryside slaying monsters, defeating bandits, and who loves being loved by those he saves. I'm looking for ideas to help realize a character idea I've been working on, but my character impersonates the aforementioned Gaston-type Chad.

I imagine Gaston as a human or half elf fighter or non-magical meathead with a big personality and heavy armor. My impersonator is some other race, a magical class, and has no proficiency in heavy armor or martial weapons. The impersonator pretends to swing his sword and kill bad guys while being heavily armored, but is actually using magic to do damage or to somehow remove the need to swing his sword.

Pre-Tasha's, I was thinking of a Changeling with 2 levels in GOOlock for the Mask of Many Faces invocation (free disguise self) and then going Wild Magic Sorc for Subtle Spell.

Post-Tasha's, there are new options, such as the Eldritch Adept feat taken as a racial ability using the Custom Lineage feature and then going straight Aberrant Mind Sorc. The Custom Lineage character would look like a Lizardfolk just for added weirdness.

I am loving the idea of random magical effects --such as giant tentacles from an otherworldly creature that is hunting me (Fathomless Warlock)-- suddenly confusing the battlefield making it seem less like I should swing my sword like a normal fighter bro.

I'd love to hear some ideas on how to form an effective character out of these ideas. Feel free to use other spellcasting classes. I feel like I haven't fully considered using a bard or wizard for this character concept.