PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying Space Sci Fi RPG

t209
2020-12-08, 01:32 AM
So is there any Sci Fi RPG I should try since I've think about Space Fantasy after thinking about sci-fi version of my Half-Drow Bard?
Also thinking of mix between Star Trek, Firefly, and Buck Rogers.
I know Starfinder, but not sure I should try it since I haven't try Pathfinder also.
Mostly leaning on Fantasy and somewhat soft-leaning.

zarionofarabel
2020-12-08, 02:58 AM
M-Space! It's a version of Mythras that is essentially Star Wars with the serial numbers filed off.

Also look into Traveller or Cepheus as they are pretty much the same game and are also very Star Wars kind of games.

Anonymouswizard
2020-12-08, 05:38 AM
Avoiding the harder leaning games:
Traveller (although space travel is still pretty hard)
Alternity 1e or 2e (1e is classed, 2e is classless)
Starfinder (by far the closest to D&D, also the only actual science fantasy game on this list)
Savage Worlds with the SF Companion
Rocket Age or the Doctor Who RPG
Most genetics can manage it, Fate has a Spelljammer-esque setting called The Aether Sea

Pauly
2020-12-08, 07:09 AM
Space 1889. Is a very well developed steam punk world. You can do all of the Firefly kind of stuff but in a proper retro setting.

Jason
2020-12-08, 08:36 AM
Firefly was basically a Traveller campaign on TV, except Traveller also has aliens.

Democratus
2020-12-08, 08:54 AM
Traveller 2nd Edition, by Mongoose Publishing.

There are LOTS of modules and campaigns to chose from.

A few Traveller tropes:

Age of sail: The time to get from one star to another is measured in weeks. So news travels about the same speed as it did in the 1800s. Piracy is a real threat.

I do the job, I get paid: Travellers are often flying a used merchant ship and struggling to pay the mortgage every month. This leads to taking dangerous (fun) jobs.

Out here on the edge: There are major empires and there is wild space between them.

comicshorse
2020-12-08, 10:46 AM
'Rogue Trader' set in the Warhammer 40K universe would give you the chance to play a Eldar (Space Elf) albeit on a human ship unless you're/the GM is prepared to create a lot of background

Psyren
2020-12-09, 11:48 AM
I know Starfinder, but not sure I should try it since I haven't try Pathfinder also.

You definitely don't need Pathfinder experience to learn Starfinder - it's as easy to pick up as any other d20 system really.

Certainly there are aspects that are easier to pick up if you've played D&D before, like cover and attacks of opportunity and magic schools etc, but none of it is required to know before you get in. Starfinder also has a Beginner Box where you can run a small adventure for 1-3 other people (or even a solo adventure purely for yourself!) as a great and rules-light introduction to the system. If you have an Amazon Alexa, you can also have her play a quick game of Starfinder with you by simply saying "Alexa, play Starfinder."

Kane0
2020-12-09, 03:55 PM
Traveler or Rogue Trader i would say

noob
2020-12-09, 04:08 PM
http://www.d20radio.com/main/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/LF-Full-RPG.png
lasers and feelings.
A 1 page rpg for Science fiction.
Definitively is star trek like but it does not have the other things you ask for.

Gizmogidget
2020-12-11, 03:48 PM
I second all the recommendations here, and I say go ahead and try Starfinder if you want to. I played Starfinder once at a con, and it went swimmingly, even though I'd never played Pathfinder before (though I'd played other d20 systems). It's a solid game.

Mutazoia
2020-12-16, 01:51 AM
Star Frontiers
Albedo (Furries in Spaaaaaaaaaaaaace)
Open D6 (WEGs Starwars made into a generic system)
Star Trek (Pick a version)
Dune
Ring World
Eclipse Phase
Buck Rodgers

KineticDiplomat
2020-12-17, 08:35 AM
Oh man, Eclipse Phase on the above list. You’re “half drow” morph wouldn’t even be weird - outside of the bio conservative Jovian republic.

Faily
2020-12-18, 07:23 PM
If you're familiar with D&D 3.0/3.5, then there's Dragonstar which was a game-setting published under the OGL some years ago.

It's basically D&D in space, dragons took over the world and formed a Dragon Empire, eventually going into space and becoming a galactic Empire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dragonstar_(role-playing_game)

Mutazoia
2020-12-19, 02:15 AM
I should probably amend my list to add "Spelljammer" to the mix.