PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Which tools are beast for magic item crafting

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-08, 05:08 AM
Hello guys :)

Is a big west march game I am playing we have rules for magic item crafting(we play in Eberron).

I was wondering which tools are best for it.

I am playing an Artificer and those are my tools:
Alchemist's Supplies, Glassblower's Tools, Herbalism Kit, Jeweler's Tools, Leatherworker's Tools, Smith's Tools, Thieves' Tools, Tinker's Tools, Weaver's Tools, Woodcarver's Tools
I just took Feat Skilled: Jeweler's Tools, Weaver's Tools, Glassblower's Tools

I am wondering if I should switch the Glassblower's Tools for something else.

Galithar
2020-12-08, 05:10 AM
What are the Glassblowers alternatives? I don't have the list of tools in front of me at the moment, but a reason to switch might come to me if I see the alternatives.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-08, 05:23 AM
What are the Glassblowers alternatives? I don't have the list of tools in front of me at the moment, but a reason to switch might come to me if I see the alternatives.

Carpenter’s tools
Cobbler’s tools
Mason’s tools
Potter’s tools

Those are the options I am considering.

Galithar
2020-12-08, 05:26 AM
Carpenter’s tools
Cobbler’s tools
Mason’s tools
Potter’s tools

Those are the options I am considering.

Cobbler's is the only one that might help you making magic items that I can think of. Though most DMs are going to use Smith's tools for metal boots and Leatherworker's for the rest, you might get some bonuses on crafting checks for making magical boots with that one.

The rest are really limited to very few and specific items, if any at all.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-08, 05:29 AM
Cobbler's is the only one that might help you making magic items that I can think of. Though most DMs are going to use Smith's tools for metal boots and Leatherworker's for the rest, you might get some bonuses on crafting checks for making magical boots with that one.

The rest are really limited to very few and specific items, if any at all.

I still want it all.
I even considered to make the Jack of All Tools trick (Artificer 6/Bard 2 combo).

I will discuss it with the DMs.

Thanks for the help.
I hope someone will come with information on some great magic item I missed that needs a super specific tool to make that I won't want to miss.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-08, 09:02 AM
Arcana. Can replace all tools.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-08, 09:04 AM
Arcana. Can replace all tools.

Not really, try and make a magical sword with arcana.
Even fabricate says you need to know how to craft stuff to use it.

Wish can eork is kind of high level and if you have wish you probably don't have problems to get magic items.

And of course I already have Arcana, I am asking for tools to make magical items

Galithar
2020-12-08, 09:08 AM

Wish can eork is kind of high level and if you have wish you probably don't have problems to get magic items.

And of course I already have Arcana, I am asking for tools to make magical items

I mean he's sort of right. You could technically enchant any already made item, or hire another craftsman to create the mundane portion while you enchant it. That's not what you were asking for though, so it still isn't completely correct.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-08, 09:12 AM

"To complete a magic item, a character also needs whatever tool proficiency is appropriate, as for crafting a nonmagical object, or proficiency in the Arcana skill."

You can craft magical sword with Arcana just fine.

BloodSnake'sCha
2020-12-08, 09:16 AM
I mean he's sort of right. You could technically enchant any already made item, or hire another craftsman to create the mundane portion while you enchant it. That's not what you were asking for though, so it still isn't completely correct.

I can hire someone else to help with the crafting, but it will inflate the price.

By the rules we use crafting a magical item cost half the price of buying it.

Each day you work for 50gp and roll arcana or tools(you need both, items requires an X amount of each roll).

You can't enchant an existing item, you need to do it as you craft it so it will bear the enchantment.

The price is based of a table one of the DM made with all the items in the game.
The price is based on raretiy and usefulness.

Common items requires no check and only one day to craft.

The point of taking all the tool proficiency is to make it alone.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-08, 09:30 AM
I can hire someone else to help with the crafting, but it will inflate the price.

By the rules we use crafting a magical item cost half the price of buying it.

Each day you work for 50gp and roll arcana or tools(you need both, items requires an X amount of each roll).

You can't enchant an existing item, you need to do it as you craft it so it will bear the enchantment.

The price is based of a table one of the DM made with all the items in the game.
The price is based on raretiy and usefulness.

Common items requires no check and only one day to craft.

The point of taking all the tool proficiency is to make it alone.

Well, if you use houserules, you should list them up front.

stoutstien
2020-12-08, 09:34 AM
technically the only tools that can make magical items without a recipe is the herbalism kit with healing potions

Throne12
2020-12-08, 11:00 AM
This is something you need to talk to your DM about. Because there are all different ways to making magical items. Examples
1. You magical ingredients like if you want to make a magical sword you need to collect the iron from a giant or dragons blood Because they are magical creatures and magic impermeate there whole body.
2. You just enchant a spell effect into a item. Like you see in games like skyrim

These are just two examples I can think of right now.

Quietus
2020-12-08, 10:39 PM
See if you can get your hands on the Artificer multitool from Tasha's. They are an artificer focus, with +1/+2/+3 variations, adding to your attack rolls and spell save DCs. They can also add one cantrip from any class to your cantrips known for 8 hours a day, and (this is the big one for this thread) can transform into any tool, granting you proficiency with that tool - and since you're an artificer, that becomes expertise. If you have this item, you literally have every tool proficiency ever, with expertise.

sambojin
2020-12-08, 10:55 PM
Woodworkers tools. There's no "bowyers/fletchers/whateverers" tools any more, it's all just wood.
There is no character, ever, that doesn't want a magic bow as a backup resource-free option.
(OK, there's some. Quite a lot. But it's still handy. Stack those +'s as high as you can from weapon/ammo).
Can also give magic quarterstaves, so is applicable to some (PAM) melee and for casting focuses for some other classes (sprig of holy on top for druids, it's a staff for wizards, and possibly a divine symbol for clerics).
Magical wooden shields are on offer too, so +AC is good for plenty of people. Chuck the druid some wooden plate armour while you're at it (you're still an armourer/smith in your list somewhere I hope)
It's a very well rounded toolset for stuff you'll use every day. May as well have expertise in it. Lets you Creation up carts and boats and doors and stuff too.

Amdy_vill
2020-12-08, 11:07 PM
Smith's Tools covers armor weapons and a lot of misc items, but outside of the core tools(Smith's Tools, thinkers tools, Woodcarver's Tools, and Leatherworker's Tools) Jeweler's Tools, Alchemist's Supplies, and Herbalism Kit are all great.

The Core tools let you make almost everything in the game with the other three opping up almost everything esle. general I think the best order to pick them up in is

Smith's Tools/thinkers tools-->Woodcarver's Tools/thinkers tools--> Leatherworker's Tools/Alchemist's Supplies--> Alchemist's Supplies/Leatherworker's Tools--> Jeweler's Tools-->Herbalism Kit-->thinkers tools if you don't already have them.

sambojin
2020-12-08, 11:13 PM
I'd probably go expertise in Smith's, Woodworker's and either Leatherworker's or Thieve's tools.

So completely different from your options.

May as well outfit everyone when you can, and double thieves tools is handy to have in plenty of adventures.

Throne12
2020-12-09, 05:32 PM
In dungeon heavy games i like Stonemason tools. Cant get through a magic door ok we'll just make one on this wall. Is that a door of solid gold/rare metal let's break the stones the hinges are connected too. " Hey Rouge let me see that map. Yep theses a floor be low us ok. Go find that monster and lead it back here ill work on creating a hole for it to fall into.