PDA

View Full Version : Player Help i'm bored of 5e, I wnat to try another system, give me suggestions

Myth27
2020-12-08, 09:39 AM
what's a system that isn't dnd or pathfinder that you tried and really really enjoyed? a system that made you go "well this is so much better I wish I tried it sooner" any genre is on the table although I'm not a big fun of superheroes but if you tell me the system is really good I could try it. My favourite genres are classic fantasy, sci-fi, modern fantasy and investigative (is that a genre?).

bonus points if you tell me something about it and why it's so good

Xervous
2020-12-08, 09:57 AM
For the sake of filtering options, what is it that has grown boring about 5e?

If it’s combat you might want to look at narrative games. If it’s rigid character construction there are countless build point games. If it’s how the randomness of the D20 dominates things there’s a plethora of serviceable dice resolution methods across systems that won’t have outliers popping up like distance markers on the highway. Absence of setting+mechanical cohesion? There’s a lot of niche products that are near, narrow and far more internally consistent than D&D. I could go on but this isn’t a checklist, just a prompt inviting thought and response.

Batcathat
2020-12-08, 10:01 AM
Lately I've been trying out Mutants & Masterminds for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so far (though I'm still new enough that I've certainly not experienced every little part of it). While it's obviously designed for superheroes, it can work pretty well for other genres where the characters have extraordinary powers (I'm currently in a urban fantasy PBP-game and I've seen it used in several other ways as well). I feel like the rules hit a sweet spot where it's possible to create most kinds of superpowers (or magic or technology or whatever) without it feeling completely unregulated (though it's certainly possible to create very powerful and possibly gamebreaking characters quite easily).

Kurald Galain
2020-12-08, 10:03 AM
modern fantasy and investigative

The obvious choice for those is World of Darkness. Here's a bunch of threads (https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdisplay.php?60-Older-D-amp-D-AD-amp-D-and-Other-Systems&s=&pp=50&daysprune=365&sort=lastpost&prefixid=WoD&order=desc) on the topic.

Ajustusdaniel
2020-12-08, 10:04 AM
Ten Candles may be the best designed game I've played for what it does. It's Tragic Horror (everyone dies at the end), only really works for in-person one shots, and has a fire-based resolution mechanic, in addition to a pile of d6es.

Myth27
2020-12-08, 10:08 AM
For the sake of filtering options, what is it that has grown boring about 5e?

If it’s combat you might want to look at narrative games. If it’s rigid character construction there are countless build point games. If it’s how the randomness of the D20 dominates things there’s a plethora of serviceable dice resolution methods across systems that won’t have outliers popping up like distance markers on the highway. Absence of setting+mechanical cohesion? There’s a lot of niche products that are near, narrow and far more internally consistent than D&D. I could go on but this isn’t a checklist, just a prompt inviting thought and response.
mostly the repetitive combat but also the rigid character build a little bit

Lately I've been trying out Mutants & Masterminds for the first time and I'm really enjoying it so far (though I'm still new enough that I've certainly not experienced every little part of it). While it's obviously designed for superheroes, it can work pretty well for other genres where the characters have extraordinary powers (I'm currently in a urban fantasy PBP-game and I've seen it used in several other ways as well). I feel like the rules hit a sweet spot where it's possible to create most kinds of superpowers (or magic or technology or whatever) without it feeling completely unregulated (though it's certainly possible to create very powerful and possibly gamebreaking characters quite easily).
interesting

The obvious choice for those is World of Darkness. Here's a bunch of threads (https://forums.giantitp.com/forumdisplay.php?60-Older-D-amp-D-AD-amp-D-and-Other-Systems&s=&pp=50&daysprune=365&sort=lastpost&prefixid=WoD&order=desc) on the topic.
is it good?

Ten Candles may be the best designed game I've played for what it does. It's Tragic Horror (everyone dies at the end), only really works for in-person one shots, and has a fire-based resolution mechanic, in addition to a pile of d6es.
not a big fan of horror

Xervous
2020-12-08, 10:12 AM
mostly the repetitive combat but also the rigid character build a little bit

Do you see yourself appreciating combat if it was well done or would you not mind if combat was lower in prominence and faster to resolve?

Anonymouswizard
2020-12-08, 10:15 AM
Unknown Armies!

It's modern occult horror/conspiracy/fantasy, including elements deconstructing settings like World of Darkness. Conspiracies are small, the biggest being maybe a hundred actual members plus hired goons, and one of the two kinds of magic user is really bad at running them (the other one varies, a lot). Magick is also weird, with things like 'enforce movie conventions' or 'exploit city systems' having entire schools of magic based around them, and you have to be insane to some degree to be an adept, and becoming one is an option if you fill up a Madness Meter.. Avatars on the other hand need to be relatively sane to retain their powers.

If you get into the higher levels of the setting it's also incredibly humanocentric.

But two key things set it apart from most games for me. One is that combat is intentionally swingy, deadly, and undesirable, especially once guns get involved. In a general game of UA actually having a fight means you failed somewhere. The other is that the game tries to model getting detached, seeing horrific things will lead to you gaining Hardened notches on the Madness meters, making you less likely to go mad but making it harder to relate to people (and in 3e changing your basic Abilities to represent this). Oh, and don't get too deatached if you're an Avatar, that'll cost you your powers.

Myth27
2020-12-08, 10:16 AM
Do you see yourself appreciating combat if it was well done or would you not mind if combat was lower in prominence and faster to resolve?

I think I could go for both

Xervous
2020-12-08, 10:21 AM
I think I could go for both

Sounds like a rocket tag sideshow isn’t out of the question. I’ve heard WoD supplies that among others, though a great many narrative systems boil combat down to just a few rolls with abstracted results.

solidork
2020-12-08, 10:58 AM
Blades in the Dark is excellent. Very similar vibes to Dishonored - hundreds of years ago the world ended, the sun was shattered casting the world in darkness, the demonic leviathans arose from the deep and the seas turned to black ink, and the ghosts of the newly dead began to return to haunt the living. Now you're a group of criminals just starting your journey to become kingpins in the city of Duskwall. The city is the port of call for the fleet of ships that hunt the leviathans for their blood so that the empire can fuel it's industry, and it is bordered on all sides by the ligtning barriers that keeps the hordes of ghosts at bay, but keep you trapped inside with your eventual enemies and the ghosts of anyone you kill that isn't disposed of properly.

It's great!

MoiMagnus
2020-12-08, 11:43 AM
I'm currently reading the rules of Mutant and Mastermind (planing to maybe start a campaign some day).
And I totally recommend it (reading the rules, I can't recommend playing it yet).

It feels like someone thinking "Hey, d20 system is fun, but I quite like some of the ideas that rule-light RPG, so let's just add them into the mix":
+ Almost unlimited character creation, as the actual limits are on the raw mechanical effects, not on "how" it is done. [NB: "how it is done" might still have actual influence on the game. Even if fire damage and ice damage are both under the "damage power" category, one will put trees into fire and not the other...]
+ Possibility for the players to spend 'hero points' to edit the narrative, or invent themselves a new power out of nowhere for a single scene. On the other side, if the DM want to force the narrative one way (aka railroading), he hands out hero points in exchange.
+ Non-combat features are legions. Like having a headquarter and equipment in it, there are rules for that.

Additionally, I quite like the idea of "you can sell some of your plot armour against bonuses". For example, by default, your powers cannot be lost. If you put your "thunder warhammer" as a power, this warhammer cannot be lost (unbreakable, always come back in your hand, cannot be used by other, etc) unless you take the flaw "removable" for a discount in power points.

KineticDiplomat
2020-12-08, 11:58 AM
Blade of The Iron Throne is one of my stock recommendations for a low-fantasy /sword and sorcery system. The combat is very well done, and the other systems allow for conflict outside of combat beyond D&D “skill check” (through not to a Burning Empires level), while remaining comparatively simple.

It definitely gets the feel right for a Beowulf or a Conan. It IS based in low fantasy, so if you’re looking to be slaying dragons on the daily, probably not the system.

LibraryOgre
2020-12-08, 01:11 PM
Two big ones for me: Hackmaster and Savage Worlds.

Hackmaster has a free pdf to try it out (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/104757/HackMaster-Basic-free?affiliate_id=315505). It is a crunchy classic fantasy game... clearly related to D&D, with a default setting that started life as a 2e setting, and was updated to 3rd and 4th, as well. I like it because of how it handles class race combinations (discouraging some by making the expensive), and how it hits a sweet spot of crunch, for me. I also compare it to Palladium's Megaversal System, but a lot better done... the skill system is integrated, combat is more fluid, and penetrating dice and the Threshold of Pain make it less of a slogfest. It's got its rough patches, and can take some adjustment, but there's stuff I miss from it every time I play a D&D-Like.

For a lower-crunch, fast genre emulator, I use Savage Worlds (link to a free quickstart of the previous edition (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/157207/Savage-Worlds-Test-Drive-2015?affiliate_id=315505); link to current edition (https://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/261539/Savage-Worlds-Adventure-Edition?affiliate_id=315505); the core stays the same, but there's a lot of detail differences). I've used Savage Worlds for everything from improvising a high-fantasy setting (the dwarves, in their greed for magic, kinda summoned demons and most of them got killed), WW2, zombie apocalypse, even things like Star Wars (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2019/12/savage-star-wars.html), Shadowrun (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/2020/06/the-savage-shadows-savage.html), The Elder Scrolls (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/p/the-savage-scrolls-savage-worlds-hack.html), and Mass Effect (https://rpgcrank.blogspot.com/p/savage-worlds-mass-effect.html). It's tagline is "Fast, Furious, Fun", and I've found it works well, teaches easily, and lives up to its reputation.

notXanathar
2020-12-08, 01:55 PM
I know that you asked not for pathfinder but I would like to mention pathfinder second edition, as it doesn't seem like many people know about it. It absolutely fixes fixed character builds, and by radically altering the action economy and removing the attack of opportunity as a default option it makes players far more willing to try things other than spending their turns hitting the monster.

Xervous
2020-12-08, 02:26 PM
I know that you asked not for pathfinder but I would like to mention pathfinder second edition, as it doesn't seem like many people know about it. It absolutely fixes fixed character builds, and by radically altering the action economy and removing the attack of opportunity as a default option it makes players far more willing to try things other than spending their turns hitting the monster.

People are aware of it and from what I’ve seen in the d20 subforum tend to avoid it due to a combination of treadmilled numbers as rigid as 4e, extreme linearity of builds masked in feature chains, casters still being the only ones with plot or on-level fantastic buttons to push, and combat being DPS slogs because any hint of control has been nerfed or stuck with enough asterisks to resemble a bedazzled shoe.

Kane0
2020-12-09, 03:53 PM
Dark Heresy (2008 version from what I hear)
Traveler
World of Darkness
And Battletech of course!

Amdy_vill
2020-12-09, 04:41 PM
first thing first Dread, play it. great for one-shots and long-form. It's best at horror but can do other things.

if you are looking for a dnd like an experience I would suggest runequest.

I have to suggest this one by law, Chronicles of Darkness 2e. I don't suggest dm it if you have never played but it's great. I suggest you start out with mortals and then move into vampires or werewolves the goes where ever you want. it has a great community almost as big as dnd and pathfinders.

The world of darkness might be more up your alley if your a bigger fan of 5e compared to pathfinder. Vampire the Masquerade 5e is great. soon werewolves will be added so vampires and werewolves.

For a good space pick traveler or any of the Warhammer 40k games.

In Chronicles of Darkness and World of Darkness, you are a monster and not this hippy-dippy romantic monsters you see in movies, you are a ****ing mother****ing badass of a monster. like a **** mothering Vampire Type monster and yes that is exactly the right amount of profanity for these games. dark and story-focused with rich lore on par with dnd.

Chronicles of Darkness is more old school and by that I mean it has a lot of early 2000s design philosophy in it. think 3.5 and pathfinder 1e. it has a lot more content compared to V5 and Chronicles of Darkness 1e content is "Compatible" with 2e. Chronicles of Darkness is darker than World of Darkness but has a Pulpy feel.

World of Darkness, V5 is more modern like 5e or CoC 9e. its not as dark as Chronicles of Darkness but is more of a gothic horror, delves more into the classical monster against the world and least of Chronicles of Darknesses personal horror.

zarionofarabel
2020-12-10, 12:53 AM
Mythras Core rules
Mythras is the new name for an older game, but while the name might have changed, the system remains the same, but presented in an updated format with new interior artwork and layout design, along with some new content (Special Effects, small tweaks to the rules, and Spirit Combat Effects). In fact, we've managed to pack more into a smaller space, and reduced the price accordingly.
For those new to the game, Mythras is a percentile system. In Mythras your characters are defined by their culture, career, community, background, comrades, skills, magic and cults. Progression is through skill advancement – not levels or similarly abstract concepts. As your characters adventure and quest, their capabilities improve and their relationships deepen and strengthen. Players and Games Masters have complete flexibility over what can be achieved, and the way characters develop is entirely dependent on choices players make, depending on their characters’ aspirations and motivations.
Games Masters receive a huge amount of support through the Mythras rules. All the concepts and game mechanics are explained clearly with options and considerations explored and presented for ease of use. You need only this rulebook for many years of exciting and imaginative play.
What’s in this book?
Mythras contains everything needed for play:
Character Creation – building your character through the familiar characteristics, through developing culture and community relationships, choosing a career, and gaining basic equipment according to social class. Skills – What they do, how they work, and how to handle many different circumstances (degrees of difficulty, critical and fumbled rolls, opposed skills, group skills, and so on). Economics and Equipment – Arms and armour, tools, clothing, accommodation... everything your character needs as he or she begins on their life of adventure. Combat – Mythras's combat system is unique, dynamic and geared towards adventurous realism. Gaining success over an opponent generates Special Effects that can rapidly turn the course of a fight. Copious advice is presented on balancing combat skills and styles, through to handling rabble and underlings. Magic – No less than five very different forms of magic are presented and explored, with complete lists of spells and effects. How magic is defined and used in different fantasy settings and campaign worlds is examined in detail. Cults and Brotherhoods – Religious, magical and secular organisations, as well as other kinds of societies are detailed the Cults and Brotherhoods rules. Cults are an important part of Mythras, and they are covered in significant detail along with templates for many different kinds of cult, order, school and so on for Games Masters and Players to build upon for their own campaigns. Creatures - Over 50 creatures are fully detailed, including several non-human player character races. This chapter also offers complete guidance on how to use creatures effectively in Mythras games, and notes on how to design your own. Games Mastery – Copious notes, thoughts and guidance on how to Games Master Mythras games. Areas for consideration are summarised, options explored, and different ways of using the rules offered. An invaluable chapter for new and old RuneQuest Games Masters alike… Anathaym’s Saga – Numerous examples of play and how the rules are used are provided through Anathaym’s Saga. Follow Anathaym, her sister Kara, Mju the Mystic and Kratos the Sorcerer as the Mythras rules are illustrated and explained.

Rerednaw
2020-12-10, 05:39 AM
what's a system that isn't dnd or pathfinder that you tried and really really enjoyed? a system that made you go "well this is so much better I wish I tried it sooner" any genre is on the table although I'm not a big fun of superheroes but if you tell me the system is really good I could try it. My favourite genres are classic fantasy, sci-fi, modern fantasy and investigative (is that a genre?).

Mythras. D100 skill-based (no ‘classes’) fantasy. Very detailed world.
Deadlands. Cowboys x Cthulhu x Steampunk
Cyberpunk. Classic gritty dystopian near future. Corporations rule all.
Amber and Lords of Gossamer. Diceless pure roleplay.
Traveller (Classic and Mongoose 1E and 2E). If you like Firefly...this game is all about that.
GUMSHOE. Investigation is the name of the game.
*Monster of the Week. (Powered by the Apocalypse). Buffy x Supernatural. Very easy system that encourages story telling by the players and can have incredible depth.
Champions 4E. Superheroes.

Out of all of these I favor PBTA (Powered by the Apocalypse) or it’s spinoff cousin, Blades in the Dark. Why? Easy mechanics, easy character creation. You can take a group of gaming newbies and be playing in 15 minutes.

Rynjin
2020-12-10, 05:57 AM
A similar question was just asked in the main Roileplaying games forum, so I'll just repost my suggestions here:

Okay, to amend my earlier request: Can I also get a brief explanation of what makes the game(s) you're recommending good? Don't need a total breakdown (that's what the book is for) but a brief "Here's what's cool!" would be neat.

But still, thanks a ton for the recommendations!

Savage Worlds is great because it's an incredibly flexible pick-up-and-go system. It has enough character options to keep you occupied, but not enough to bog the game down, and makes for an excellent crunchier narrative system, since conflict resolution is so easy. You always know what your target number is (4), and anything that would change that is applied as +/- modifiers to your roll rather than a change to the DC of a check. It works in any setting (there's a campaign or splatbook for any kind of game you'd like, from gritty cyberpunk to high fantasy), and works well to make your characters feel like heroes without removing the danger from combat; you're stronger (can take more Wounds), better (usually have a higher die type), and luckier (you have Bennies, i.e. rerolls) than your average NPC counterpart, but you don't feel invincible since the Wounds system lends itself to "death spiraling" (in a good way).

Final Fantasy d6 is great for some of the same reasons, primarily the flexible character design. you can make whatever you want, however you want, within fairly broad bounds due to a liberal multiclassing paradigm that should be familiar to Final Fantasy veterans (Job change system). It lets you be the big damn heroes, and keeps tension in combat for the big fights, while allowing you to feel powerful and "invincible" in minor fights; enemies can bring the party to 0 HP, but only Bosses and Notorious (read: minibosses) enemies can actually KILL a PC, so a character death will by definition always happen in a meaningful conflict.

The rules light-medium nature of both systems lends them to extremely strong character driven RP and narratives, but this is PARTICULARLY the case with FFd6, where the rules encourage the GM and empower the player to be flexible and creative, and reward you for having goals outside the main plot (completing minor and major character goals reward you with Destiny, which can be used to do a number of things, from simply adding to a roll, enabling a Job change, or even allowing your character to go out in a Blaze of Glory; unavoidably dying but automatically accomplishing some great achievement).

One of my favorite features is the incidental magic system, meaning that if you have an appropriate combat spell, you are empowered to do non-combat things with them freely. Eg a character who knows Fire can always light a fire, without using MP. This allows a player to do fun things with their magic which would otherwise be a waste (such as using an Aero spell to bring yourself a cool breeze on a hot day), or even affect the world freely without worrying about reducing their combat effectiveness (using Thunder to power an electrical device for some benefit).

It is, all in all, the best mix of narrative freedom and rules crunchiness I have ever been able to find. The only real drawback is that it is somewhat limited in the settings you can use, as every aspect of the game is, of course, intensely Final Fantasy flavored.

PraetorDragoon
2020-12-10, 06:33 AM
Currently my favourite system is Through the Breach. It is set in the 1900, where the Guild is exploiting Malifaux, an alternate dimension, for Soulstones which they use for magic. Adventures can take place on Earth (where spellcasting is harder) or in Malifaux. The interesting part is that it doesn't use dice, but playing cards. You flip cards and add your skill to make TNs, but each player also has a hand of cards that allow them to "cheat fate" and use a card from their hand instead of a flip.

It is pretty flexible regarding characters, and allows players to pick a class at the start of each session, and tracks levels per class.

Duff
2020-12-10, 07:52 PM
Call of Cthulhu is a classic for a reason
relatively easy to start, especially as a player, but not real hard to GM either.
If you haven't played a lot of systems, you'll make your life easier by choosing a fairly easy one

Razade
2020-12-10, 08:46 PM

You should look into City of Mist, a Powered by the Apocalypse system that is a modern fantasy style game with a heavy lean on investigations. Probably the best system out there for this. Sci-Fi and Classic Fantasy should be more than easy to implement as well.