PDA

View Full Version : Thought experiment: Mirror Image AC based on Int

Segev
2020-12-08, 05:39 PM
How much would that change the spell? The AC of the images might actually be higher than the wizard’s. Not super likely with mage armor up, but possible. Would it be too good?

MaxWilson
2020-12-08, 06:55 PM
Would AC be 10 + INT, or 10 + INT + DEX? If the former then I don't see much change from the status quo. If the latter then the spell might become pretty good, at least against foes without blindsight.

Segev
2020-12-08, 07:20 PM
Would AC be 10 + INT, or 10 + INT + DEX? If the former then I don't see much change from the status quo. If the latter then the spell might become pretty good, at least against foes without blindsight.

I was thinking the former. The idea being that a wizard has Dex as his secondary stat, at best, while Int is almost certainly his primary. (Could make it "casting stat" instead of "int" and retain my intent.)

Would it be too strong with 10 + (casting stat) + Dex? Or just "good?"

Do you consider it underpowered as-is?

MaxWilson
2020-12-08, 10:28 PM
I was thinking the former. The idea being that a wizard has Dex as his secondary stat, at best, while Int is almost certainly his primary. (Could make it "casting stat" instead of "int" and retain my intent.)

Would it be too strong with 10 + (casting stat) + Dex? Or just "good?"

It's more niche than underpowered. For an AC 10 bookish mage who's not abusing the silly 5E multiclassing rules, it's a pretty decent use of your action in a normal fight, as long as the enemies don't realize they can close their eyes and hit you anyway. For a well-armored AC 17ish mage who's busy concentrating on something, it's a decent use of your action to mostly-counter enemies' ability to attack you, sort of analogous to Tasha's Mind Whip is being a physical Counterspell, except without any kiting requirement.

I don't think the difference between Int and Dex is important to the balance of the spell, so do whatever works for you from a flavor perspective. I could see either making sense.

With 10 + <casting stat> + Dex it would be too much stronger, not too strong, but still a bigger change to the dynamics of the game than is necessary.

Gignere
2020-12-08, 11:31 PM
Not sure why you feel the need for the change, mirror image is fine as is. For low to moderate AC it’s good defense.

Once you are above 18 AC you should consider using disadvantage on attack rolls against you as the preferred defense.

Segev
2020-12-09, 01:59 AM
Not sure why you feel the need for the change, mirror image is fine as is. For low to moderate AC it’s good defense.

Once you are above 18 AC you should consider using disadvantage on attack rolls against you as the preferred defense.

I don’t feel a need so much as wanted to explore it a bit. Main inspiration was the realization that the images are always easier to hit than the caster of the caster at least has mage armor up. Switching them to int might make them a little closer or even better, depending on the character’s dexterity.

Mastikator
2020-12-09, 02:25 AM
Letting it stack with mage armor, or armor in general might make it too good. A pure 10 + int would be neat though.

Galithar
2020-12-09, 02:46 AM
Letting it stack with mage armor, or armor in general might make it too good. A pure 10 + int would be neat though.

I agree with this. The ability for the mirror images to dodge (represented by the AC since one hit and poof) shouldn't be based on how nimble the caster is, but in their spellcasting ability.

So actually I slightly disagree. 10+spell casting mod is what I would think would be cool.

Mastikator
2020-12-09, 02:54 AM
I agree with this. The ability for the mirror images to dodge (represented by the AC since one hit and poof) shouldn't be based on how nimble the caster is, but in their spellcasting ability.

Do actually I slightly disagree. 10+spell casting mod is what I would think would be cool.

Well I disagree that you disagree so hah! We're in agreement. :smallcool:

Galithar
2020-12-09, 03:10 AM
Well I disagree that you disagree so hah! We're in agreement. :smallcool:

I can agree with that! Lol

MaxWilson
2020-12-09, 03:31 AM

So with Int 16 the images would have AC 26. Awesome!

heavyfuel
2020-12-09, 06:24 AM

No. It's a non-concentration deffensive buff that's likely to avoid at least two attacks made against you.

I'd put it above Misty Step as far as defensive power goes (though MS does have better utility) and that's usually considered a good defensive spell.

Valmark
2020-12-09, 08:56 AM
So with Int 16 the images would have AC 26. Awesome!

I know this is a joke but I'm a bit confused from where it came from. Wouldn't it be AC 13?

Anyway, I do consider MI underpowered if you have medium/heavy armor and the enemies don't have too much to-hit bonus. I've forgotten it multiple times on my armored spellcasters because it was more often then not a total loss (and thus didn't think about it)- even casting Find Traps would have been a better use [U]in some

Making it key off your spellcasting stat (limiting to Int screws with other caster classes) would make a bit more useful. Though I don't think it reduces the difference that much where it matters.

PhantomSoul
2020-12-09, 09:17 AM
I know this is a joke but I'm a bit confused from where it came from. Wouldn't it be AC 13?

The joke was that the description said "int", not "int mod", so the full score was added :)

As for 10+int_mod (but not 10+dex_mod+int_mod), I definitely agree that it would be fine (and feels more logical to not have images affected by your Dex). (Where int = whatever the spellcasting mod is for this spell, of course!)