PDA

View Full Version : Ring of Spell Storing Combos

BamBam
2020-12-09, 03:38 AM
Here's a fun one for social encounters and infiltration missions.

Load up your ring with your preferred loadout [examples] . . .
• 5 x Charm Person
• 3 Χ Charm Person, 2 x Tasha's Hideous Laughter
• 1 x Charm person, 2 x Suggestions
• 1 x Charm Person, 1 x Detect Thoughts, 1 x Suggestion

Cast Disguise Self/Alter Self to conceal your identity. Don't forget that you could possibly disguise yourself as a generic enemy or as a particular enemy. Friends cantrip is nifty here.

People often don't realize that the Ring of Spell Storing effectively applies the subtle metamagic to those spells.

Do you guys have any combos to share?

GeoffWatson
2020-12-09, 04:21 AM
Why do you think it gives free Subtle?
The description say it lets you cast the spell, with no mention of subtle.

BamBam
2020-12-09, 04:30 AM
Subtle means cast without verbal or somatic components.

Magic items cast spells without any components unless stated otherwise in the spell description.

Galithar
2020-12-09, 04:35 AM
Subtle means cast without verbal or somatic components,

Magic items cast spells without any components unless stated otherwise in the spell description.

Here's the page and rules quote to back up BamBam

Some magic items allow the user to cast a spell from the item. The spell is cast at the lowest possible spell level, doesn't expend any of the user's spell slots, and requires no components, unless the item's description says otherwise.

The item states the level is whatever level was stored, but doesn't say they need components.

Gignere
2020-12-09, 09:27 AM
Here's the page and rules quote to back up BamBam

The item states the level is whatever level was stored, but doesn't say they need components.

The components was needed/used when cast into the ring of spell storing. This is an amazing item, you can pass out familiars to everyone in your party. Everyone can get find greater steed. Your familiar can concentrate on haste for you.

Bilbron
2020-12-09, 09:45 AM
Here's a fun one for social encounters and infiltration missions.

Load up your ring with your preferred loadout [examples] . . .
• 5 x Charm Person
• 3 Χ Charm Person, 2 x Tasha's Hideous Laughter
• 1 x Charm person, 2 x Suggestions
• 1 x Charm Person, 1 x Detect Thoughts, 1 x Suggestion

Cast Disguise Self/Alter Self to conceal your identity. Don't forget that you could possibly disguise yourself as a generic enemy or as a particular enemy. Friends cantrip is nifty here.

People often don't realize that the Ring of Spell Storing effectively applies the subtle metamagic to those spells.

Do you guys have any combos to share?I prefer to use it to enable double-concentration combos like Sleet Storm/Sickening Radiance, or for combat casts to avoid concentration checks like Polymorph, Haste, or Greater Invisible. But definitely Charm Person is a nice option with subtle, and there's room in there for at least 1!

Guy Lombard-O
2020-12-09, 10:44 AM
I'm in a game where my conquest paladin character was the only one who had an attunement slot left when a spell-storing ring dropped. There was definitely some arm-rastlin' involved, but I managed to hold onto it with the proviso that I'd share the ring out with Find Steeds for everyone, and that I'd let one of the others have it when the strategic situation called for it. Since I'd definitely gotten the short end of the stick item-wise prior to this, and since I actually use my spell slots mostly for actual spellcasting, the others let it stand for now.

It's only a 3-man party, with a cleric and multiclassed wizard who only has 1st & 2nd level spells at the moment. But I'm definitely looking forward to casting a Spirit Guardians as a paladin, and I'm thinking hard about what my other two slots should go for? 2 Shields (I'm a two-hander, so no component issues)? Something non-concentration & long range, like Magic Missile or Catapult? Hard to know the best load out for general purposes.

It's really pretty funky that the first one I've ever acquired was on a paladin, and I'm not quite sure how to best abuse my fellows' spell lists for maximum impact.

Gignere
2020-12-09, 10:45 AM
I'm in a game where my conquest paladin character was the only one who had an attunement slot left when a spell-storing ring dropped. There was definitely some arm-rastlin' involved, but I managed to hold onto it with the proviso that I'd share the ring out with Find Steeds for everyone, and that I'd let one of the others have it when the strategic situation called for it. Since I'd definitely gotten the short end of the stick item-wise prior to this, and since I actually use my spell slots mostly for actual spellcasting, the others let it stand for now.

It's only a 3-man party, with a cleric and multiclassed wizard who only has 1st & 2nd level spells at the moment. But I'm definitely looking forward to casting a Spiritual Guardians as a paladin, and I'm thinking hard about what my other two slots should go for? 2 Shields (I'm a two-hander, so no component issues)? Something non-concentration & long range, like Magic Missile or Catapult? Hard to know the best load out for general purposes.

It's really pretty funky that the first one I've ever acquired was on a paladin, and I'm not quite sure how to best abuse my fellows' spell lists for maximum impact.

You guys should share it so each of you can get a familiar too. At the end of the day it might be best for your familiar to attune to it. Especially with such a small party. One more concentration spell is huge.

Guy Lombard-O
2020-12-09, 10:48 AM
You guys should share it so each of you can get a familiar too. At the end of the day it might be best for your familiar to attune to it. Especially with such a small party. One more concentration spell is huge.

Oh, we'll definitely do the familiars thing.

But the DM is pretty rough on familiars, and we flee things too often for me to want to entrust such an awesome treasure to an ultra-perishable familiar.

I'm mostly wondering about an optimal combat load out.

BamBam
2020-12-09, 10:13 PM
I prefer to use it to enable double-concentration combos like Sleet Storm/Sickening Radiance, or for combat casts to avoid concentration checks like Polymorph, Haste, or Greater Invisible. But definitely Charm Person is a nice option with subtle, and there's room in there for at least 1!

My favorite concentration combo that is facilitated by Ring of Spell Storing is Wall of Force and Wall of Light. That can eventually kill most anything.

kingcheesepants
2020-12-09, 11:15 PM
it did not occur to me that one could double concentrate via a ring of spell storing, this just jumped up to the top of my wishlist. In games where I've had one before it usually acted as a backup healer. We filled it up with healing words and a revivify so that we could still have some healing when the druid was in the middle of mauling people. Also the occasional fireball so that the barbarian had a nice AoE attack if he got a bit overwhelmed.

Gale
2020-12-10, 03:01 AM
It's dubious whether or not a Ring of Spell Storing could be used by a familiar. It needs to be worn first off, and secondly it it needs to be worn in the "intended fashion" ... "rings on the finger." (Page 140, DMG.)

It seems fit that in order for a familiar to use a ring of spell storing it needs to be worn on one's finger, but most familiars don't have hands, which inherently serves to keep them balanced. It works if you're a Pact of the Chain Warlock though, or if you can convince your DM to let you have a Flying Monkey from Tomb of Annihilation.

I'm sure a lot of DMs are more lenient though and might just agree that a cat's toes are close enough to fingers. But I would argue that's not how the ring was intended to be worn, therefore there is reason to say it shouldn't work. It's also a bit concerning letting a full caster get access to two concentration spells at once. Although in fairness, Animate Dead still lets you do this exact thing. But the difference there is it takes a level 3 spell slot to do so, which I think it's a much fairer cost investment. It'll also take your bonus action at least to tell the animated dead to cast the spell for you, and the undead is a much more obvious target than a bird that can fly away at 60 ft a round to someplace safe.

If anything, I just want to point out that the familiar trick isn't going to work at every table. Definitely check with your DM if you plan to use it. I know mine in particular would strike it down in a heartbeat. But they're definitely stricter than most on these things.

da newt
2020-12-10, 08:41 AM
So how does the wearer of the ring cast a spell? It requires no components. Does it require a known language, the ability to speak, a minimum INT, ...

BTW the spell text in the DMG says "While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it." I don't know how many DM's would think of a PC's familiar as 'you.'

I've most often seen rings of spell storing going to the non-casters and loaded w/ heal, defense, and AoE spells. There are probably more creative uses, but shield, absorb elements, haste, blur, PFG&E, can be very handy on any melee tank/DPR. Hex, HM, shadow blade, smites, and similar damage enhancing spells work too.

Gignere
2020-12-10, 08:43 AM
It's dubious whether or not a Ring of Spell Storing could be used by a familiar. It needs to be worn first off, and secondly it it needs to be worn in the "intended fashion" ... "rings on the finger." (Page 140, DMG.)

It seems fit that in order for a familiar to use a ring of spell storing it needs to be worn on one's finger, but most familiars don't have hands, which inherently serves to keep them balanced. It works if you're a Pact of the Chain Warlock though, or if you can convince your DM to let you have a Flying Monkey from Tomb of Annihilation.

I'm sure a lot of DMs are more lenient though and might just agree that a cat's toes are close enough to fingers. But I would argue that's not how the ring was intended to be worn, therefore there is reason to say it shouldn't work. It's also a bit concerning letting a full caster get access to two concentration spells at once. Although in fairness, Animate Dead still lets you do this exact thing. But the difference there is it takes a level 3 spell slot to do so, which I think it's a much fairer cost investment. It'll also take your bonus action at least to tell the animated dead to cast the spell for you, and the undead is a much more obvious target than a bird that can fly away at 60 ft a round to someplace safe.

If anything, I just want to point out that the familiar trick isn't going to work at every table. Definitely check with your DM if you plan to use it. I know mine in particular would strike it down in a heartbeat. But they're definitely stricter than most on these things.

Since I almost always see owls as familiars, flyby help is broken, I would argue an owl can wear the ring on their talons. Which is analogous to human fingers and it would fit.

Galithar
2020-12-10, 09:14 AM
So how does the wearer of the ring cast a spell? It requires no components. Does it require a known language, the ability to speak, a minimum INT, ...

BTW the spell text in the DMG says "While wearing this ring, you can cast any spell stored in it." I don't know how many DM's would think of a PC's familiar as 'you.'

I've most often seen rings of spell storing going to the non-casters and loaded w/ heal, defense, and AoE spells. There are probably more creative uses, but shield, absorb elements, haste, blur, PFG&E, can be very handy on any melee tank/DPR. Hex, HM, shadow blade, smites, and similar damage enhancing spells work too.

When people have a familiar do this it normally comes with the Familiar attuning to the ring as well. You have to get your DM to allow this though. I for one don't allow it as I think it is just gamist cheese to the extreme.

Demonslayer666
2020-12-10, 10:11 AM
Is there anything in the rules about magic items maintaining concentration for you?

I thought this was not explicitly covered.

noob
2020-12-10, 10:15 AM
I just figured out.
Now your familiar can gain a familiar and then some time later the world is an apocalyptic wasteland covered in familiars?

Hal
2020-12-10, 10:18 AM
Not pertinent to combos, but my players received a Ring of Spell Storing nearly a dozen sessions ago, and they have yet to actually use it. See, it was gifted to the druid by his master, and came with a level 5 spell in it, and the druid player has been waiting for juuuuuuuuuust the right time to use that spell.

Oh well. They're the ones missing out on it.

Gignere
2020-12-10, 10:25 AM
Is there anything in the rules about magic items maintaining concentration for you?

I thought this was not explicitly covered.

It’s not the magic item maintaining concentration. You give the ring to either a party member that doesn’t normally maintain concentration or a minion. They use their concentration to maintain the spell, and freeing the spell casters to use their concentration on another spell.

Bilbron
2020-12-10, 12:22 PM

The DMG says: "In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they magically adjust themselves to the wearer." That's why the same Ring of Protection will fit your Halfing and your Firbolg.

JeffreyGator
2020-12-10, 12:35 PM
On a front-line monk we stuck 2xHealing Word and 3xShield in it.

For a wizard in the backline we stuck revivify (on the crazy chance the wizard survived and the life-cleric died) and 2xhealing word

BamBam
2020-12-10, 01:24 PM
The DMG says: "In most cases, a magic item that's meant to be worn can fit a creature regardless of size or build. Many magic garments are made to be easily adjustable, or they magically adjust themselves to the wearer." That's why the same Ring of Protection will fit your Halfing and your Firbolg.

Bats have tiny hand like feet so they can definitely wear a magic ring. A Headband of Intellect might be required if the DM has trouble with the low Int of the familiar.

Gale
2020-12-11, 01:29 AM

In fairness, the text does say "in most cases" but not all. I don't mean to be persnickety, but I definitely wouldn't assume every magic item is inherently or magically adjustable to fit any wearer, especially one that isn't a humanoid. You might find a ring of spell storing that is adjustable in a purely mundane manner, and despite your best efforts, you can't find a way to let your familiar comfortably wear it; it's always a bit too big to fit on your owl's talons. Of course, some DMs might just say it magically transforms to fit around their toes, or perhaps it adheres to your owl's ankle in a perfectly usable manner.

I'm definitely not trying to say it wouldn't or shouldn't work. But it's fair to note why a DM might not be willing to allow it. I feel the rules both provide support and opposition for the typical familiar using a ring of spell storing; and it's up to your DM to make the final call based on the circumstances and how they interpret things.

Bilbron
2020-12-11, 05:07 AM
In fairness, the text does say "in most cases" but not all. I don't mean to be persnickety, but I definitely wouldn't assume every magic item is inherently or magically adjustable to fit any wearer, especially one that isn't a humanoid. You might find a ring of spell storing that is adjustable in a purely mundane manner, and despite your best efforts, you can't find a way to let your familiar comfortably wear it; it's always a bit too big to fit on your owl's talons. Of course, some DMs might just say it magically transforms to fit around their toes, or perhaps it adheres to your owl's ankle in a perfectly usable manner.

I'm definitely not trying to say it wouldn't or shouldn't work. But it's fair to note why a DM might not be willing to allow it. I feel the rules both provide support and opposition for the typical familiar using a ring of spell storing; and it's up to your DM to make the final call based on the circumstances and how they interpret things.

Certainly, just pointing out the DMG supports the concept, so a player can point this out to the DM if it comes up and provide the mechanic to explain why applying IRL physics in that regard is probably unwarranted.

Silpharon
2020-12-11, 11:02 AM
Back on topic, I think concentration ally/enemy target spells are the best. With some creativity you can buff yourself with Glyph of Warding, but it can be harder to buff/debuff others. So... Bless your allies, Faerie Fire the enemies, etc.