PDA

View Full Version : Help with fighter feats. Pathfinder 1st edition

LordDeath666
2020-12-09, 12:33 PM
Could someone help a mate out
I’m a level 1 titan fighter Goliath home brew https://www.google.com/amp/s/petulantpip.wordpress.com/2018/09/07/goliath-race-pathfinder-conversion/amp/
I rolled for my stats
Str-20
Dex-17
Con-20
Int-8
Wis-11
Cha-15
I can still switch my stats around. if you think I should let me know
I’m starting with a huge great sword 4D6
I need a lvl1-20 feat list before we play (dm rule)just sprung on me and we play Friday

Sincerely yours
Unprepared player

Psyren
2020-12-09, 03:12 PM
This is a bit of a tall order - in its decade+ of life, Pathfinder amassed a ton of Combat Feats.

Rather than just list a bunch, I suggest you google terms such as "Pathfinder Fighter Handbook", "Pathfinder Combat Feats Handbook" and "Martial Flexibility Handbook." Those should give you a solid starting point.

At a minimum though you should also be looking at feats that let you capitalize on your great strength, like Power Attack, Furious Focus, and Intimidating Prowess.

LordDeath666
2020-12-09, 04:11 PM
Just hoping for suggestions

Psyren
2020-12-09, 04:59 PM
Just hoping for suggestions

No problem! I gave three. Let me know if you need help with a handbook you find.

aglondier
2020-12-10, 06:25 AM
A pair of feats with rediculous synergy are:

Cornugon Smash (Combat)
Prerequisites: Power Attack, Intimidate 6 ranks.
Benefit: When you damage an opponent with a Power Attack, you may make an immediate Intimidate check as a free action to attempt to demoralize your opponent.

Hurtful (Combat)
You know how to add injury to insult.
Prerequisite(s): Str 13, Power Attack.
Benefit(s): When you successfully demoralize an opponent within your melee reach with an Intimidate check, you can make a single
melee attack against that creature as a swift action. If your attack fails to damage the target, its shaken condition from being demoralized immediately ends.

My gm laughed and hinted that asteroids may be in my characters future if I took this combo...

Kurald Galain
2020-12-10, 08:58 AM
A pair of feats with rediculous synergy are:

It's a good combo but I wouldn't exactly call it ridiculous.

First, because lots of things are immune to intimidate. And second, because it eats your swift action; and many classes need that for other things (fighters don't, but fighters are weak enough that nobody seems to complain about boosting them).

AntiAuthority
2020-12-10, 10:35 AM
Power Attack should be one of the first feats you take, along with Cleave, Greater Cleave, etc. and maybe Furious Focus to negate the loss in attack rolls for the first Power Attack you use.. Also, as a Fighter, you'll want to hit people who are close to you, so in case you're surrounded by multiple enemies in melee and they try to run away, you can do damage to them with...

You can make additional attacks of opportunity.

Benefit: You may make a number of additional attacks of opportunity per round equal to your Dexterity bonus. With this feat, you may also make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Normal: A character without this feat can make only one attack of opportunity per round and can’t make attacks of opportunity while flat-footed.

Special: The Combat Reflexes feat does not allow a rogue to use her opportunist ability more than once per round.

Which leads to the next feat. As you may or may not know, getting off a Full-Attack will be hard if your enemy decides to take more than a five foot step after being threatened by you. Luckily, this feat holds them down in place (and as a bonus, you need to have the previous feat to use this, so it's all good).

You easily block enemy escapes.

Prerequisite: Combat Reflexes, fighter level 11th.

Benefit: Whenever an opponent you threaten takes a 5-foot step or uses the withdraw action, that opponent provokes an attack of opportunity from you. If the attack hits, you deal no damage, but the targeted creature is prevented from making the move action that granted a 5-foot step or the withdraw action and does not move.

Now you force the enemy to stand there so you can hit them as hard as you want. Possibly enemies have to stand there and suffer this fate.

That said, damage reduction is also a thing, so...

Your attacks are capable of penetrating the defenses of some creatures.

Prerequisites: Weapon Focus, base attack bonus +1, 12th-level fighter, proficiency with weapon.

Benefit: Your attacks made with weapons selected with Weapon Focus ignore up to 5 points of damage reduction. This feat does not apply to damage reduction without a type (such as DR 10/—).

There's another version you can get at Fighter 16.

That said, you can also just use this (and it's higher forms) if you don't want to (or can't) Full-Attack.

You make a single attack that deals significantly more damage than normal.

Prerequisites: Base attack bonus +6.

Benefit: When you use the attack action, you can make one attack at your highest base attack bonus that deals additional damage. Roll the weapon’s damage dice for the attack twice and add the results together before adding bonuses from Strength, weapon abilities (such as flaming), precision-based damage, and other damage bonuses. These extra weapon damage dice are not multiplied on a critical hit, but are added to the total.

Drelua
2020-12-12, 05:54 PM
The Weapon Master's Handbook has some great options, not a feat but you can take Advanced Weapon Training (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Fighter/#Advanced_Weapon_Training) instead of getting weapon training with more groups. Armed Bravery adds your bravery bonus to all will saves, Fighter's Reflexes add your weapon training bonus to reflex, Versatile Training effectively gives you max ranks in 2 skills, which 2 being dependent on what weapon group you have training with. There's some other good ones, those are just the ones that stand out to me at a quick look.

There's also Weapon Mastery feats (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/weapon-mastery-feats), Cut from the Air lets you make an opposed attack roll to stop a ranged attack against you, and if you take Smash from the Air you can even use it against ballistas or thrown boulders. Spellcut lets you use your BAB instead of your save against AoEs and any spell that isn't melee and targets only you. It's good if your will or reflex are very low, but since it's just BAB with no other bonuses it's not always much of an improvement.

Advanced Armor Training (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/Fighter/#Advanced_Armor_Training) might be worth a look too, it's not as good as Advanced Weapon Training but there's some nice options. Armor Specialization can add up to 5 to your AC at level 20, Adaptable Training gives you max ranks in a skill, it's only one skill unlike Versatile Training but you get more choice so a Fighter can actually have a decent amount of skills with both. Some of the Armor Mastery feats (https://www.d20pfsrd.com/feats/armor-mastery-feats/) are decent, sprightly armor adds you armor's enhancement bonus to initiative, armor material expertise for adamantine lets you turn half the damage from an attack against you nonlethal, could save your life, and since healing spells heal their full amount in both lethal and nonlethal using this then getting a quick heal can be helpful. Imposing Bearing's decent if you plan on using maneuvers.

Oh, and it's usually not great but Vital Strike might actually be worthwhile for you. If you're already doing 4d6 damage, then if you can get lead blades and enlarge person I think it goes to 8d6, so with Vital Strike it would be 16d6. Maybe ask your GM if you can use Dungeoncrasher from 3.5, it replaces your level 2 and 6 bonus feats with a +5 to break through doors or walls, +2 reflex and AC against traps, and 4d6 + STR mod x2 damage when you bullrush someone into a wall at level 2, with the bonuses doubling at level 6 and the damage going up to 8d6 + STR mod x3. Busting through walls is always fun, and you can take Bull Rush Strike to get a free bull rush on a crit.

gijoemike
2020-12-12, 09:35 PM
To clarify

You GM is requiring your entire character build level 1 to 20 before session 0/1? Yes, I sadi build because certain levels of classes give feats. Here are some basic questions that make that request as worded completely absurd.

What if you get feat retraining?
What if you gain a feat or prereq via a spell or item?
What about limited bonus feats at certain levels, e,g. ranger fighting style, or the other 60 class levels or PC levels. (Note: PF1 its class levels and various archtypes but my point stands)
Can you GM guarantee you the item/NCP/power/scroll when you need it to level to match the plan?
There are archtypes that let you CHANGE a feat as a power.

and most importantly
what if through the course of play you decide this tactic isn't working for this party, I need to change course. This would mean you alter the plan a bit post lvl 10.

Given that last one
What is the rest of the party playing? Can you provide us a general idea. If you are the only melee heavy toon then teamwork feats are right out. If there are too many ranged you need to be a tough tank like, attention getter. If there is a tough attention getter you can choke up on a two handed axe and go for a home run.

Will you reliably have a flanking partner? There are like 100 questions one must ask of the table in order to obtain decent synergy. I don't even know where to begin with this request. Why not just tell your Gm the general Idea of say the next 6 levels. A lot can happen in 6 levels. Also, are you fully locked into that feat path?

Is multi classing on the table? You state fighter 1 like its matter of fact. What is your class plan? What archtype of fighter at level 1? More can be added later on if the new ones don't touch an ability altered at the first level. Fighter alone has like 15+ archetypes to choose from.

LordDeath666
2020-12-14, 01:25 AM
The session zero got postponed. it’s not a full build just what I might be doing so he has a general idea and we have a rogue elf, a barbarian dwarf, a bard human, a sorcerer aasamare , a claric tiefling and a goblin alcomist goblin plus me

gijoemike
2020-12-14, 09:31 PM
That is actually much much more reasonable. There is both a rogue and barbarian. That rogue needs to be in the flank more than you.

Take a look at this fighter archtype - https://www.d20pfsrd.com/classes/core-classes/fighter/archetypes/paizo-fighter-archetypes/mobile-fighter

Agile seems better than bravery. And later on you can move and full attack.

Feats aren't too special.
Power Attack
Cleave
Cleaving Finish
Cornugon Smash as suggested above.
Step Up
Following Step
Step Up and Strike
Swift Iron Style
Swift Iron Refuge
Swift Iron Sprint

The whole Idea is you find a target and stick to them. They 5 ft step away, you 5ft with them. They retreat you follow. They somehow manage to get away from you, just walk over and full attack anyway. Armor doesn't slow you down, Get the heaviest, beefiest solid armor you can. They dance ballet in the street. Above is only about 10th level but it seems like a good starting point.

Kraynic
2020-12-14, 10:29 PM
I think anyone that will be in melee and has the dex for it (that character certainly does) should take combat reflexes at some point. With that feat, things can't just run past you to your support people during a surprise round or before you have acted for the first time. Or just stream past you if there are a bunch of opponents.

Unless the person running the game doesn't like throwing hordes of things at you, and surprising you. In that case, I suppose you can ignore it. In the games I have been involved in, it is a seriously powerful feat to have due to sheer numbers of smaller/weaker enemies in motion, being able to attack during surprise rounds from enemy motion, and being able to attack on the first round of combat before you have acted. But this may very well be just a symptom of who I have played with. I have nothing else to add from what others have said.

Particle_Man
2020-12-15, 12:45 AM
With that charisma you might check to see if you are allowed to take the leadership feat.

vasilidor
2020-12-15, 01:41 AM
given that the titan fighter gets bonuses to cmb and cmd against larger targets, you should switch your charisma and intelligence around and invest in feats that improve your abilities to trip. like improved trip. a guisarme would be a good investment. I am going to assume things like spheres of combat and other third party stuff are off the table at this time unless you state otherwise.

If your character counts as large for feat requirements, awesome blow may be a good choice, if you can get your strength up to 25.
combat reflexes is another good choice, as others have mentioned.
if you also get improved reposition along with improved trip, you can (in theory) control enemy positioning. tactical reposition allows you to put in enemy in a hazardous position. like off the edge of a clif.
overall, I think you should try to capitalize on your bonuses from titan fighter if you are going to go that route.

vasilidor
2020-12-15, 01:46 AM
I just realized that the titan fighter ability to use large weapons would stack with the goliath's ability to use large weapons, allowing your weapon to be huge.
Does the reach of a reach weapon increase as the size goes up? An answer of yes would make sense from a realistic standpoint, while an answer of no would make sense from what I know of paizo's design philosophy.
I would totally house rule yes if i was running the game, but that is just me.

Drelua
2020-12-15, 07:40 PM
Does the reach of a reach weapon increase as the size goes up? An answer of yes would make sense from a realistic standpoint, while an answer of no would make sense from what I know of paizo's design philosophy.
I would totally house rule yes if i was running the game, but that is just me.

You're right on the second guess, no matter how big your weapon is it doesn't change your reach. I've thought about playing a Titan Mauler with a Sun Blade, big as a bastard sword but as easy to use as a shortsword so you can use one that's 2 sizes too big for you before accounting for any class or race abilities, and even if it's as big as a telephone pole you need Lunge to hit someone 10 feet away.