PDA

View Full Version : Pathfinder Spheres of Power build Inspiration and Help for "Dualist" Character wanted

GrayDeath
2020-12-09, 03:52 PM
Important Preface: It is uncertain if I will get to play this CHaracter evenr emotely close to soon, if ever.
So take your time, look up your data, etc, no rush, no Hurry, open for questions, discussions, and of course people hitching a ride. :smallcool:

Now onward:

For a planned Game the DM asked us to find a "classic(ly inspirated) Archetype and make CHaracters that fit said Archetype, or at least the specific Inspiration we like, to a T.

Since we havent played it in quite some time (and even alltogether not often) the Game will be aiming to use Spheres (of Power msotly), combined with bits and pieces we like from regular PF 1 and 3.5.

Now what I am looking for is a perfect example of the "True Dualist" Type.

Light and Dark, Life and Death, helpful yet distant, beatiful yet alien, you catch the Drift.

From looking over the SRD, the Soulweaver sounds perfect for the basics, with an ideally exclusive focus on Life and Death, maybe with lesser Creation and Destruction tacked on.

The Game is going to be using Gestalt, but the Gestalt side can only be "supporting" CLasses from PF or 3.5 and Racial LA Equivalents (for this, we are using the PF Race builder, but only for getting Stat Boosts (Abilities, AC, healing) and Skill boosts, with at the VERY most getting natural Attacks if its central for the Build, so no broken/laughably cheap options (you know who you are^^).

I want to keep the "Dual" part in the Gestalt Side as well, so ideally it would contain 2 parts/Heritages maing thee Race, and 2 more classes nicely completing the Build.

Now an important set of Rules/Game Directions:

1.: This is a high Power but NOT a High OP game as the Playground sees it. Meaning the Characters are meant to be competent but not hypercompetent.
Meaning that anything like "how to get XYZ for free" and "how to best abuse Spell A when combining it with DCS" or anything using anything more than a few times (so out is everything infinite and near, yes, even a few dozen^^).
Starting Level will be 12, WBL is full, but at least half must be focussed into stuff clearly following the "clichee" of our Characters (meaning stuff that mainly fits the fluff AND helps, not stuff that helps a lot and that one could, if you squint, see as fitting the theme^^).

2.: This is a RAI Game to a fault. If it is silly, doesnt make biological sense, or requires anything close to readings ala "In book XY the rules for "Enter often used magical undertaking^^" where modified as follows, because they didnt state you annot apply that change to Spell Z from a totally different setting, that means you can take Spell Z and use it to achieve Goal 1337" is out.
As is everything not fitting the Duality Fluff, everything requiring a specific Alignment (requiring alignments from achoice is fine, say must be good, or must be lawful etc).

3.: I am mainly looking for Inspiration, not too specific Build advice (yet, might change within the enxt month or 2), specifically the following:

2 Races that would fit the concept that can breed with each other (and ideally 2 things they normally would not get that can be bought in the RC under the abovementioned limits^^)
2 CLasses for the other Gestalt Side, as I intend (unless somebody can find me a complementing class that does not make the guy/gal/undecided worse at doing 2 things really well
And lastly I would be thankful for any Inspiration for extremley dualistic Characters in Fiction, from Games or whatever, that pull it off well. Cause you can never have too much Inspiration.

Short summary for clarity:
Duality is key theme, overshadowing all else
Gestalt, one side will be Soulweaver (and maybe a second) other side will be race (ideally a Half A/B race) and 2 classes that fit but dont detract
High Power, but RAI Game
Mainly looking for Inspiration/Cool Stuff

I expect the Playground to deliver, as usual. :)

Thank you all in advance.

burpbot
2020-12-22, 11:30 AM
{scrubbed}

GrayDeath
2020-12-22, 04:14 PM
{scrubbed}

vasilidor
2020-12-23, 01:44 AM
reading this, I had originally thought you were asking to make a duelist, then I actually read the description. I would recommend, for a supporting class, something like either Incanter or Thaumaturge, as Incanter will increase the number of sphere abilities and thaumaturge will increase your overall power with your abilities.

DrMartin
2020-12-23, 04:35 AM
double down ( :cool: ) on the life/death thing and go triple goddess hedgewitch with spirit tradition for the other side - ignore the fate focus if you think it dilutes the concept, but fate complements the life/death pair quite well.

As for race, can you port the dvati from 3.5?

burpbot
2020-12-24, 09:02 PM
{scrub the post, scrub the quote}

How about I say my opinion on a forum where everyone can post and comment freely? Yeah, I think imma do that. Also, name shaming, rly?

JerichoPenumbra
2020-12-26, 03:19 AM
I'll second the suggestion of Incanter, but only if you're going to more than two "focused" Dualities or just wanna go ham on the first one. Having Life/Death as the main and just dabbling in others I think would be best addressed by having the other class that can do flexing like Prodigy or Hedgewitch with Spiritualism. Otherwise, there aren't really many other Spheres classes that have dualities like that straight out of the box like that. Chronomancer Archetype Symbiat does Time/Space is the only one I can really think of. The other classes can certainly do it but it'll either require more talent investment (so classes like Incanter with a lot of them being good) or specific selections (like Hedgewitch with it's two traditions). The other thing that I can think of it take an archetype that makes the class better at one sphere and then just pick up the complementary stuff on your own.

I think interesting ideas might be:
-Going Dhampir (as a half dead) and taking the Bloodshaper alt feature if you want to dabble in Creation, playing up Blood as a unifier of the Life/Death duality as well as groundwork for Creation/Destruction (and interestingly enough you could do that duality theme with just the Creation Sphere)
-Astomoi as a potential to be a very alien race and be intersting to mix with Light/Dark magic
-Shifter as the other half, taking either of it's Light or Dark archetypes and using its base abilities as a basis for a Mind/Body duality
-Either go a "classic" Aasimar/Tiefling combo, or use Suli as a chassis for an unusual hybrid race to mix up different themes besides 4 elements

Special mention to the Extemporizer Archetype for Prodigy. Base class can flex and the archetype let's it basically use the Technique system (essentially advanced Spellcrafting) on the fly, which can lead to some interesting combos to play up (Hungry Searing Light or Empowered Aggressive Vitality). Unfortunately, such Techniques would require some time to actually pull off and requires a decent comprehension of the Spellcrafting system.

GrayDeath
2020-12-26, 09:59 AM
Thanks, very interesting Suggestions!