PDA

View Full Version : Food The Whisky Thread

GrayDeath
2020-12-09, 04:11 PM
Since I once againw as reminded of how much I like this Forum, and I have opened one in every Forum I frequent that didnt already have one, here we Go!

Share Whisky Stories and recommendations
Post Tastings
Ask Questions about Whisky
Share the enjoyment of the most complex Drink in the World
Banter about it.

discuss the "Real Whisky Status" of "enter nonscottish country producing whisky (or nonirish/american producing Whiskey)",
state one does not like Whisky and flame people who do
questions the "use" of a Thread like this

Sorry if the alst part sounds a bit terse, but I have experience in people derailing threads like these in a way that makes people actually utilizing the thread lose the fun.

if you dont enjoy Whisky, why not just ... not post? :)

Obviously, I`ll start.

At the Moment I am having a Kilchoman Sanaig, in a Glencairn Glass.

Powerfully smoky, relative complex given the age, and in my opinion very good.

If you like your Whisy smoky, almost tarry, with loads of Sherry, thats a clear and low Price recommendation (from until recently the newest Distillery on the Isle of Islay) to try!

Now its your Turn.

Sláinte!

sktarq
2020-12-09, 04:29 PM
ahhh....instant welcome!

Currently halfway through a bottle of Laphroaig back home as well as a couple others. I'm very much a peat and smoke man myself. However being at work there is no chance for me to drink at this moment.

and While I don't know its current disposition about 20 years ago the Scottish Whisky Museum (just off the top of the royal mile) had probably the best tasting bar I ever ran into, sold at a steep discount and by the dram. Which is about the amount for good taste without getting so that the taste of next flight doesn't matter.

GrayDeath
2020-12-09, 04:36 PM
Thank you!

I have always been more of a Lagavulin Man myself, to be honest. Aside from the fact it was the Whisky that made me love whisky, back in 99, which makes it about my only "msut have in the Bar", the very best Laphroaigs (older red Stripe CS, some Independant bottlings for example) beat it easily...but of the Standards, Lagavulin 16 has, aside from a reduced peatiness sometime around the early 2000s, kept perfectly constant Quality, while Laphroaig has, since they started with more experimental stuff and reduced the 10y to 40%.
If they would just bottle it at 46%, I would be happier, but thena gain, I would say that about any non CS Malt, so...^^

@ RWM:

When I was in Edinburgh in 2016, they still had amazing amounts of great Whisky....but the Prices were sadly quite pricey.

So I agree, if you get to E., go there. But bring more money than you want. ^^

Cygnia
2020-12-09, 04:44 PM
Hubby's Scotch of choice is Aberlour. Bourbons, he likes Blanton's and Eagle Rare, though Maker's Mark or Woodford Reserve will do for budget purposes.

jdizzlean
2020-12-09, 04:46 PM
had a nip of Highland Park 12 year last night. One of my faves.

followed that up by cracking open my bottle of Breckenridge Rum Cask Finish Whiskey i got on vacation. smooth, sweet, smokey, i first had it as an old fashioned w/ a brandied cherry and orange rind. I had to fight my pops off from stealing the bottle!

GrayDeath
2020-12-09, 04:55 PM
Never heard of Breckenridge, but given Bourbon is not even remotely as well available outside the US, this should not surprise me.

The only Bourbons I drink regularly are Blantons SftB (its more or less the Aberlour Abunadh of Bourbons, and the Bottles are simply amazing for later use^^, sadly they are getting rarer over here), Eagle Rare 10y if I want something less powerful but nice, or if its available (which is strangely getting rarer as well) Bookers 7y.

Until I tried any of those 3 I was actually of the Opinion Bourbon was flat and boring.

While it does have much less complexity and difference from Distillery to Distillery than Single MAlt, I was taught otherwise, and the SFTB is actually in my Top 10 of "not gone" Whiskies.

Glad this was received well btw.

To treat this with the respect it deserves, I`ll end the evening with a Dram of Aberlour Abunadh batch 60!

Ajustusdaniel
2020-12-11, 08:13 AM
I'll try a glass of almost anything, up (down?) to and including the bottle with the aggressively American label that the bartender described as "Oh, it's bad. We just bought that as a joke. Do you want to try some?" (It was not fantastic).

If I'm treating myself to something I know I'll like, I'm fond of the sort of peaty, smoky single malts you get from Islay. Ardbeg is probably a favorite.

jdizzlean
2020-12-11, 01:15 PM
dunno how far they distribute, but Stranahan's Colorado Whiskey, made here in denver, is amazing. if you can get ahold of that in ye olde country GD, i suggest you try it. I don't like anything else they make, all the other versions of it, the special runs and such aren't as good as the original yellow label.

and it's small batch, and definitely not available outside here, but K.J. Wood Distillery (Ouray, CO) makes a fantastic rye whiskey (Ourye), and a great bourbon (Dead Drift). My uncle, who's version of alchohol begins and ends w/ Bud Light, drank half a bottle of my dead drift. Rude, considering i offered him a drink, and it's a 5 hour drive 1 way for me to go get more lol!

Darth Credence
2020-12-11, 02:48 PM
I'm mostly a rye fan, particularly Wild Turkey rye. There is a local distillery here in Utah called High West that makes a really good Double Rye, although I'm not a particular fan of their Rendezvous Rye for some reason. For a Scotch, I'll have what sktarq is having - Laphroaig is by far my favorite. So good. I used to enjoy a Glenlivet, but Laphroaig just blew it away for me.
I tried to like Famous Grouse specifically because of a line in a book*, but it just didn't do much for me. My uncle absolutely loves it, so I gave him the rest of the bottle.

*From The Gun Seller by Hugh Laurie. The line is something like 'he watered the drink down enough that it was Vaguely Familiar Grouse'. Great book, great line, just not my favorite Whisky.

Cygnia
2020-12-11, 02:55 PM
Tried introducing the hubby to Writer's Tears (an Irish whisky) a few years back back when he was trying to write a novel. He wasn't a fan of it though.

The Fury
2020-12-21, 12:18 PM
Tried introducing the hubby to Writer's Tears (an Irish whisky) a few years back back when he was trying to write a novel. He wasn't a fan of it though.

Irish whisky called Writer's Tears? ...I love it already.

I generally prefer bourbons. Kentucky bourbon is usually what I default to if I want a shot of something, especially since most establishments have it. Though my favorite bourbon is Burnside, which is made by a local distillery.

Cygnia
2020-12-21, 12:32 PM
Yeah, couldn't find it in OH, so I got it from a Binny's in the Chicago area. Came with two lovely snifters too (that hubby ended up immediately breaking one accidentally).

GrayDeath
2020-12-22, 10:18 AM
Standard Writers Tears is, as the writers it was allegedly made to comemorate, an aquired taste.

Only Irish I normally like (meaning outside of "I have only had Smoky Stuff for 4 months, get me something fruity^^) is Redbreast.

As for the Rye: Sadly, outside the US you dont get Rye that much. I ahve to agree though that its the better american Whisky.
tried 2 (sadly cant remember their names, only that one was from Colorado and one from Kentucky) on a tasting and found them almost as complex as Malt.

Oh, and since I just finished my yearly Bottle Sharing Operation, now trying Whisky 2 of said Shared Bottles: Klichoman Sanaig.
Lets see how I like it.

Aedilred
2020-12-28, 11:01 AM
I like Laphroaig but it's not an everyday whisky: while I like it peaty, something a little smoother is often welcome.

I got some Benromach as a gift a few years ago; that was pretty good. It was most notable because it's a bit stronger than most, so it has a kick to it - while still having a similar depth and smokiness to, say, Talisker.

My mum gave me a bottle of Cardhu gold reserve for Christmas, which I haven't tried before but am looking forward to opening.

My first exposure to American whiskey was Jack Daniels, and the less said about that the better I think. I have recently picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon but I only really use it for cocktails.

tomandtish
2020-12-28, 03:53 PM
Japanese distillers are doing some wonderful things with rice mashes. I'm currently finishing off a bottle of Fukano 10 year single cast, and it's in my top 3 whiskies of all time. I find therice whiskies much smoother than their counterparts.

The Fury
2020-12-28, 04:28 PM
My first exposure to American whiskey was Jack Daniels, and the less said about that the better I think. I have recently picked up a bottle of Buffalo Trace bourbon but I only really use it for cocktails.

I don't know if you can get it in your area, but Bulleit is another fairly common American whiskey that's much more drinkable than Jack Daniels. They make both a Bourbon and Rye, not sure which you might prefer.

GrayDeath
2021-01-22, 03:49 PM
Seconding the Bulleit Rye, for primary Malt Drinkers its a good Whiskey to try.
Or, if your store have Buffallo Trace they might have Blantons Straight from the Barrel (belongs to BT). If you like cask strnength, that one has yet to disappoint. :)

ALso, ugh, those were some awful weeks.

Enjoying a Glendronach Parliament to welcome the weekend.

Hmmmm....

Gray Mage
2021-01-24, 08:14 PM
I enjoy a good glass of whiskey, although I'm nowhere as knowledgeable as folks here in this thread.

One that I try to always have a bottle at home is Maker's Mark. What would be some similar whiskeys?

Also, I've noticed someone mentioned fruity whiskey, which I don't think I've ever had. I'm intriged, though, as I rather like fruity/sweeter beer.

Rawhide
2021-01-24, 08:29 PM
I don't like whisky. Recommend me a whisky that will change my mind (or, more accurately, what's a good whisky for someone who doesn't like the whisky they've tried so far but is open to trying more, something milder in the taste perhaps).

So far, the one I like the most is a mixed drink, Canadian Club with ginger ale and a squeeze of lime.

Peelee
2021-01-24, 09:57 PM
I don't like whisky. Recommend me a whisky that will change my mind (or, more accurately, what's a good whisky for someone who doesn't like the whisky they've tried so far but is open to trying more, something milder in the taste perhaps).

So far, the one I like the most is a mixed drink, Canadian Club with ginger ale and a squeeze of lime.

Is the idea here to expand your horizons or to find something to just sip on casually that you know you will enjoy without thought?

Also, are you looking for a mixing spirit or a spirit to be enjoyed by itself?

Rawhide
2021-01-24, 10:00 PM
Is the idea here to expand your horizons or to find something to just sip on casually that you know you will enjoy without thought?

Expand horizons, mostly.

Also, are you looking for a mixing spirit or a spirit to be enjoyed by itself?

A little bit of both, but mostly interested in one to be enjoyed by itself or on the rocks.

Peelee
2021-01-24, 10:14 PM
Expand horizons, mostly.

A little bit of both, but mostly interested in one to be enjoyed by itself or on the rocks.

If you would like to continue on the Canadian whiskey methodology, I'd recommend Crown Royal. It's very easy to find and reasonably priced.

If you're looking for bourbon/American whiskey I'd go for Buffalo Trace. It's quite delicious and at one point was replaced as my house bourbon from Makers Mark which is more expensive.

I cannot recommend a scotch whiskey yet.

Buffalo Trace is also 90 proof. Which means it's great on the rocks but also mixes fairly well. When you venture beyond 90 proof you start finding it doesn't mix nearly as well.

Corsair14
2021-01-25, 09:22 AM
Been on a bit of a whiskey kick lately myself, trying different kinds, watching Whiskey Tribe on youtube and so forth.
Japanese whiskies are so much smoother than other straight whiskeys I have tried and I highly recommend them. Even the cheap 39-49 dollar bottles of Suntori (I think) are a good value. That's cheap for Japanese whiskey if you haven't looked.

On advice of whiskey tribe and other you tube reviews I tried Monkey Shoulder Scotch. Yeah no. Despite all the claims of flavor and smoothness, I found none of that when I tried it. It tasted like generic Scotch

I am including Bourbons in the whiskey category as they are an offshoot.
Elijah Craig is still one of my go-to favorites. Much smoother than any Scotch I have had and it tastes decent relatively. That and when I was deployed it was tradition at the end of deployment when handover had occurred in an area we were allowed to go somewhere that I would do Elijah Craig on the rocks to wind down so good memories.

As for flavored whiskeys, don't knock it, the best whiskey is the one you will drink. There are some really good ones out there worth trying just for general sipping.

Old Smokey Salted Caramel is absolutely yummy. Even my wife will drink it straight. Excellent dessert whiskey.

Catch Fire- forget Fireball, go find Catch Fire. Much smoother than Fireball and better taste.

Pecan Whiskey- I forget who makes it, this goes back into more normal whiskey taste but with a strong pecan flavoring so the wife might do a shot but she isn't sipping it. Worth drinking though especially if you like pecans like I do.

Maple Whiskey- Crown Royal makes this seasonally and there is a reason it sells out ridiculously quickly. Thankfully there are some off brands that make it too. Do not pass up on this one, we are not heavy drinkers and we went through a bottle of this just over the holidays between the two of us. Also a really good recipe for a drink using this is Ottawa Apple. 1.5oz of Maple whiskey and I think 3oz of Cran-Apple juice. Try it, its amazing.

denthor
2021-01-26, 10:13 PM
My favorite drink whiskey press.

Soda water 🍶 💧
Your whiskey of choice
Ginger ale, sprite, or clear sugared soda on top.

Ice

If you order this most bartender will ask you how to make one.

I was told by one younger bartender that vodka presses are a thing with a younger crowd? Anyone ever tried this?

tyckspoon
2021-01-26, 10:42 PM
My favorite drink whiskey press.

Soda water 🍶 💧
Your whiskey of choice
Ginger ale, sprite, or clear sugared soda on top.

Ice

If you order this most bartender will ask you how to make one.

I was told by one younger bartender that vodka presses are a thing with a younger crowd? Anyone ever tried this?

Carbonated water + sweetener + alcohol is probably the most basic form of cocktail (and using a fairly neutral flavored soda gives you the carbonation and the sugar in one convenient liquid), so .. probably? My personal tastes involve more citrus flavor and I'm not a fan of vodka, so I can't really speak to that; I find vodka drinks to mainly be the realm of people who just wanna get drunk, and I prefer the alcohol in my drinks to have at least some part to play in the actual flavor of the drink.

Peelee
2021-01-27, 07:59 AM
Carbonated water + sweetener + alcohol is probably the most basic form of cocktail (and using a fairly neutral flavored soda gives you the carbonation and the sugar in one convenient liquid), so .. probably? My personal tastes involve more citrus flavor and I'm not a fan of vodka, so I can't really speak to that; I find vodka drinks to mainly be the realm of people who just wanna get drunk, and I prefer the alcohol in my drinks to have at least some part to play in the actual flavor of the drink.

Not whisky at all, but I've always wanted to try an Orange Whip, which by all indications is absolutely delicious, and is vodka-based (well, vodka and rum).

MoonCat
2021-01-29, 06:02 PM
So, I'm currently sitting in my apartment enjoying the lovely Laphroaig 10. However, I do feel a bit guilty since it literally tripled my grocery bill. Can anyone make any recommendations for something fairly smooth that won't make a student feel like they're frittering their parents' money?

Peaty is great. I've been somewhat disappointed by American bourbons thus far. My knowledge of whiskey is still limited, as I was just getting into trying them out when the world as we knew it ended.

Aedilred
2021-02-02, 07:50 AM
So, I'm currently sitting in my apartment enjoying the lovely Laphroaig 10. However, I do feel a bit guilty since it literally tripled my grocery bill. Can anyone make any recommendations for something fairly smooth that won't make a student feel like they're frittering their parents' money?

Glenfiddich and Glenmorangie tend to be relatively affordable, if I remember rightly (though I've not bought either in a while). They're both on the smooth side, certainly smoother than Laphroaig (but then, what isn't?)

Otherwise, you might have to resort to blended whisky. The trick is to find a blend that's actually a blend of malts, rather than common-or-garden "blended", which is basically vodka with food colouring. Here they are labelled differently, although I'm not sure about where you are.

GrayDeath
2021-02-06, 08:10 PM

Since I often do this with peoiple I meet, let me ask yoou 3 Questions beforehand.

1.: What Whiskies have you tried so far?
2.: Do you dring other Spirits that yxou enjoy, if yes, which ones?
3: What Aromas do you generally enjoy?

Since "Whhisky" is far too complex ana rray of aromas to "simply recommend one".

Also a sidenote: "mild" means "has no strong taste(s)" but most people seem to equal it with "does not burn if I take too alrge a gulp", which has next to nothing to do with the whisky, and a lot with the Drinker. ^^

I enjoy a good glass of whiskey, although I'm nowhere as knowledgeable as folks here in this thread.

One that I try to always have a bottle at home is Maker's Mark. What would be some similar whiskeys?

Also, I've noticed someone mentioned fruity whiskey, which I don't think I've ever had. I'm intriged, though, as I rather like fruity/sweeter beer.

Partly, see above.

As for Fruity and tasty Whiskey, I usually recommend a Redbreast 12y, a Bushmills 3 wood (both lower price area) or for redder fruits/dried fruits, Glenfarclas 18+y, Glendronach 21 Parliament or similar. Sadly its hard to get the (ubiquitous in my earlier Whisky years between 2000 and 2012ish) very old Bourbon Cask Scotch that were amazingly fruity nowadays....stupid Speculation induced pricing...

Peaty is great. I've been somewhat disappointed by American bourbons thus far. My knowledge of whiskey is still limited, as I was just getting into trying them out when the world as we knew it ended.

Well, seeing that Laphroaig 10y IS an Entry level Whisky already, I cant really recommend anything "cheaper", my recommendation is and will always be: Drink less, Drink Better!

But general Entry Level (ergo below 40 Euros/Dollars a Bottle) Whiskies I always recommend to try are:
Laphroaig 10 (well done^^), Talsiker 10y (very unique profile), Bowmore 15 (needs to be on sale, but very much worth it, hugely complex Whisky), Redbreats 12y (my favourite Irish), Glenfarclas 15 (as old school sherry Whisky as you can get nowadays, also mostly will need to be on sale) and lastly Kilchoman Sanaig.

All of them are good or very good for their price range, quality Whiskies.

I hope I could help,and sory that it took a while to respond, my health is still not fully back on track.

Corsair14
2021-02-07, 09:59 PM
See, if I want a good tasting whiskey on its own, when I am not trying to go hardcore, then Coopers Mark Maple Whiskey or Old Camp Pecan whiskey. For a desert whiskey, Old Smokey Salted Caramel Whiskey, even the wife will drink that straight and enjoy it. I have tried getting into some Scotches and they are just too harsh to me. Monkey Shoulder is claimed to be a beginner Scotch and wow, no thanks, I find nothing good tasting on that front. Ill be donating it to my neighbors next party. I find myself gravitating more towards the Bourbon family.

The Best whiskey is the one you enjoy drinking.

GrayDeath
2021-03-04, 04:59 PM
The Best whiskey is the one you enjoy drinking.

And I drink an 11y old Glengoynew from a PX Hogshead our Whisky forum bought 11 years ago that I finally got my 3 Bottles from this week to that. :)

57.2%, no chill filtration or coloring. Pure, Chocolatty-fruity Goodness.

Hmmmm....

Corsair14
2021-03-11, 07:56 AM
I tried a Bulliet over the weekend, once more reinforcing my positive opinion of bourbons. Very smooth and on par with Elijah Craig.

I need to try some more Scotches just to see if Monkey Shoulder was an exception or is typical. Need to finish off some bottles on my fridge though, out of room with all the bottles there we use for mixing.

ErisStorm
2021-03-12, 01:38 AM
I'm a fan of Irish Whiskey and Tullamore Dew is my favourite. My father is a fan of Johnny Walker Black Label and I enjoy that brand as well.

GrayDeath
2021-03-13, 03:14 PM
I tried a Bulliet over the weekend, once more reinforcing my positive opinion of bourbons. Very smooth and on par with Elijah Craig.

I need to try some more Scotches just to see if Monkey Shoulder was an exception or is typical. Need to finish off some bottles on my fridge though, out of room with all the bottles there we use for mixing.

Monkey Shoulder is an average Blended Malt (if one canc all it that, as blended Malts have been dying out for a while).

I dont know if expecting aromas from "Cocktails" ( I refuse to call stuff that is "Sweet Stuff X + some Whisky" Whisky^^) wiull help you, but since I know and like Bulleit (the Rye much more than the Bourbon though) you dont seem to be on the "Sweet Tooth stuff only" trip.

My Suggestion would be to find a well stocked pub (once the corona restrictins are reduced/lifted), take 20 dollars, and try the following 3 of the following 6 "Standard" Whiskies (and ONLY have water otherwwise to make sure aromas can be fully experienced):
Glenmorangie 10y (as example of a "mostly maked" Malt, no smoke, smooth Destillery character, little cask aroma)
Talisker 10y (as a "Special tasting" oddball and value Bomb^^)
Bowmore 15y (As example of "Complex/a bit of everything"", as both the Peat and the Sherry play well together with wood aromas)
Lagavulin 16y (as a smooth, well aged, yet strongly peated example)
Glenfarclas 15y (as probably THE most iconic affordable old style Sherry cask Whisky)
Ardbeg 10y (As the most affordable "Hard Smoke Bomb Whisky" out atm^^).

If you try all 6 you`ll likely know if, and what, Malt QWhiskies you like.

Enjoy.

Also, enjoying a Glenfarclas 105 prtoof atm. Always a winner. :smallcool:

Rawhide
2021-04-04, 10:59 AM
Forgot about this thread.

If you would like to continue on the Canadian whiskey methodology, I'd recommend Crown Royal. It's very easy to find and reasonably priced.

If you're looking for bourbon/American whiskey I'd go for Buffalo Trace. It's quite delicious and at one point was replaced as my house bourbon from Makers Mark which is more expensive.

I cannot recommend a scotch whiskey yet.

Buffalo Trace is also 90 proof. Which means it's great on the rocks but also mixes fairly well. When you venture beyond 90 proof you start finding it doesn't mix nearly as well.

Thanks for the suggestions! It'll be a while, but I've taken a note of these.

Since I often do this with peoiple I meet, let me ask yoou 3 Questions beforehand.

1.: What Whiskies have you tried so far?
2.: Do you dring other Spirits that yxou enjoy, if yes, which ones?
3: What Aromas do you generally enjoy?

Since "Whhisky" is far too complex ana rray of aromas to "simply recommend one".

Also a sidenote: "mild" means "has no strong taste(s)" but most people seem to equal it with "does not burn if I take too alrge a gulp", which has next to nothing to do with the whisky, and a lot with the Drinker. ^^

I've taken a shot of 190 proof alcohol before. Trust me, it's not the burning. I'm talking about the flavour.

1. I don't know if I've remembered all of them, but I've definitely tried these:
Jack Daniel's
Johnnie Walker (Black, Red, some others)
Jim Beam
Jameson
(That's a lot of Js...)
Canadian Club
Wild Turkey

2. That really depends on what you mean by spirit. I've never really enjoyed the taste of "plain" spirits in the sense of "this is really good give me more", though some are much more tolerable than others (vodka, for instance), but many of them go extremely well in cocktails and mixed drinks (vodka, for instance), or already flavoured/liqueurs (coconut rum, for example). To give you an example in rum, I'm not a huge fan of Bundaberg Rum, but I can tolerate Bundaberg Red Rum much better because it is a lot more smooth. Add Coke to it and Bundaberg Red is quite good.

3. I'm not sure about the aroma. I don't exactly sniff them for the aroma by itself, it's just part of the drink as a whole...

Corsair14
2021-04-19, 08:04 AM
Since it fits here, there's a movie, either on Netflix or Hulu(wife controls the TV while I game on PC), called Neat. Its all about the history of Bourbon, its effects on society and so forth. Its extremely rare for me to even come close to tearing up, to the point I have no idea why other people cry during supposed emotional parts of movies and events (product of growing up in a house where boys don't cry unless they are badly hurt type of environment), and I will say, maybe it was a result of meds I am on from surgery this past week, but I almost teared up at one point when one of the people where telling their story. Very worth watching.

GrayDeath
2021-04-24, 04:12 PM
I've taken a shot of 190 proof alcohol before. Trust me, it's not the burning. I'm talking about the flavour.

1. I don't know if I've remembered all of them, but I've definitely tried these:
Jack Daniel's
Johnnie Walker (Black, Red, some others)
Jim Beam
Jameson
(That's a lot of Js...)
Canadian Club
Wild Turkey

So the classsical list of "What yxou can get in asny pub", check.

Sadly "Is drunk just about ewverywhere" is usually not a sign of quality (at best its a sifgn that it wont kill you, Whisky Inside Joke^^).

You are somehow sending mixed Signals, as you, cajn "tolerate" a shot of X Proof doesnt say much (lets say it was cooled down very and/or mostly flkavourless).

To avoid discussions before we have a more or less similar platform, see my whicky recommendations above.

If you can get to an open bar (seeing Big C...), that serves mainly spirits/Whiskies, try them.
Do so in non tumbler Whisky glassses (we call them sniofters) without Ice, though you will often get a small caraffe of water to reduce yourt whisky if ylu want.(I usually put a single drop of water into everey qwhisky, to free up the nose, if they need Water or mnot is every Afficionados ownmdecision, I usually only add more thanm12 Drop in Whiskies aboive 50%, but thats just me,....). Drink only water on the side, If yih´z want/need tio snack whuile tastingm I prfer Dark Chocolate, Scones or sopmesuch.

Domt try more than 4 on one evening.
Maybe in the Direction Glenmorangie 10, Glenfarclas 15, Talisker 10, Lagavulin 16?

If after that evening you can serriously say you didnt enjoy it, youmcan be alkmost entirely sure you are not "Made for Whisky".

Enjoy the Journey!

3. I'm not sure about the aroma. I don't exactly sniff them for the aroma by itself, it's just part of the drink as a whole...

Thats why we use these funny looking nosing glasses.
SNiff them, befopre, wle, and after drinkging them.
Snifting a Whisky also heelp find the "correct" (there aint a single correct one, only one correct for one self)Speed to drink your Whisky.
Now there is noi correeect speed to driung Whisky, but most Whisky (Cognac/Bran/Rum) Lovbers I know tend to go with "the Slower the better".

Again, enjoy the Journey, and if you like it or not, I`m happy to have helped.

Edit: forgive Typoes, I`m neither drunk nor unattentive, but in the middle of a Medicatgion Change,..,...ugh.

Rawhide
2021-04-25, 12:05 AM
You are somehow sending mixed Signals, as you, cajn "tolerate" a shot of X Proof doesnt say much (lets say it was cooled down very and/or mostly flkavourless).

Room temperature (in a hot climate). The drink is basically 95%+ ethyl alcohol, the rest water. Why only 95%? 95% alcohol by volume (95.6% alcohol by weight) is the absolute most pure ethanol you can get through standard distillation, as a small amount of water is also evaporated in the distillation process.

Basically, I've drunk shots of the purest alcohol you can get through standard distillation at (a hot) room temperature, with the only impurity being less than 5% of water.

P.S. Don't try this without safe conditions, and don't drink too much of it at once. It is much easier to kill yourself with alcohol poisoning if you're not really careful.

Yourt19
2021-04-27, 12:15 PM
My favorite whiskeys are Wild Turkey Longbranch, Jack Daniel's Gentleman Jack, Few Rye Whiskey. I recommend you try them.

Bundin
2021-05-13, 05:37 PM
Ha, ran across this topic with a glass next to me. It's a bit of an odd beast, as it's a blend of three Scottish malts of at least 12 years old, put in a sherry cask by company founded by a Belgian, and left to age in a cave in Burgundy, France. Starts with a bit of peat, but that's quickly replaced by big sherry flavours and is to me, quite sweet. That sweetness what I like in late-night drams. It's one of my "treat yourself" bottles though, it only gets poured occasionally.

For different moments, my go to peaty whisky has been Lagavulin 16 for years. At some point, a couple of years ago, I decided to not buy it for some time and broaden my horizons. Rceently, a friend gave me an opened bottle because he didn't really enjoy it himself. The first sip felt like coming home, so I'll have to make sure to always have that on stock :)

One bottle I've had once, loved, but was sold out and never to be found again was Bruichladdich Port Charlotte An Turas Mor. It was the first time ever that the tasting note "wet rock" made perfect sense. I think I paid about 40-45 euro back in 2012, the only bottle I've found recently was 200. Yeah, no :P I'll stick to the pleasant memories, please and thank you.

denthor
2021-05-20, 07:33 AM
Not whisky at all, but I've always wanted to try an Orange Whip, which by all indications is absolutely delicious, and is vodka-based (well, vodka and rum).

Years ago I had a fuzzy navel.

Peach 🍑 snappes(however you spell it)

Orange juice

Mix.

Cheap and good.

Vykryl
2021-05-23, 09:59 PM
Dont have the kind of pallet for detecting all the notes in a drink as some are speaking of unfortunately.

Recently finished a bottle of Jura Origin, tastes and smells of oak and honey to me.

Currently working slowly through two bottles, Bullet Rye and Wild Turkey Rare Bird.

At the moment it's a cheroot and bottle of stout I'm enjoying

Cygnia
2021-05-26, 05:56 PM
The father-in-law recommends Sycamore Distilling, a Bourbon-style whiskey out of OH that he got for his birthday.

Squire Doodad
2021-05-28, 01:18 AM
"Came on here, saw a Whisky thread, was terribly disappointed it was about alcohol and not about different ways to whisk meringue 3/10"

Vykryl
2021-06-01, 08:43 PM
Just opened a bottle of Stranahan's from Colorado. Nice and mellow after the Rare Bird I've been drinking

Corvus
2021-06-02, 08:26 PM
I'm still a fairly newcomer to the Scotch scene - my brothers are far more knowledgable about it. I sort of experiment, trying out a different type every few months.

At the moment I'm almost finished my latest - Suntory Toki, which is a blended Japanese whisky. Heard good things about Japanese whiskies and wasn't disappointed. Got a bit of a spice to it, which is nice. I do like smoky whiskies, as long as they aren't too smoky.

I used to live in Tasmania, which is the heartland of whisky production in Australia and have tried a number of them.

On my honeymoon, I visited a distillery in Western Australia and got to taste (for a price) an award winning $800 AUD bottle of whisky. (Thats a bit over $600 USD). Smoothest thing I've ever tasted.

Corsair14
2021-06-12, 11:29 PM
Funny you say that Corvus, I just discovered Australian whiskey. Kept seeing ads for it on facebook and was at the liquor store yesterday. They didnt have what I was looking for but I saw Starward and took a chance. Its great! Very smooth, good flavor.

Cygnia
2021-06-13, 09:08 AM
Hubby's thoughts on Old Forester (https://michaelsonby.blogspot.com/2021/06/taste-test-old-forester-signature-brand.html)

jdizzlean
2021-06-17, 12:10 AM
i've started to see Old Overholt (rye whiskey) and Old Grand Dad (bourbon) back on the shelves again for the first time in for. ev. er.
grabbed them both up.

old overholt is a little harsh. but i drank both in my younger years :)

Altair_the_Vexed
2021-06-17, 03:21 AM
I was late to whisky, despite being half-Scottish, and living in the Celtic Fringes of the British Isles most of my life.

My wife and I honeymooned in Knockando in the Spey Valley - not knowing that this was the heartland of some of the most beautiful delicate whiskies ever produced. On our last weekend there, we walked around to the distillery to pick up a bottle or two of single malt to take home to family and friends. I said "I don't like whisky myself, but we're looking to get something for friends." The host said "Of course, though you'll have to try some yourselves."

That was how we discovered the Knockando whisky is one of the best, softest, whiskies there is. It's hints of caramel and vanilla, smooth and light. The older years are still soft and subtle, but with some woodland scents.

There's a glass cup on our mantlepiece, with every cork from every bottle we've bought of the Knockando since. We got one each anniversary for a few years, till the distillery went silent recently. Now we're looking for the 15 year malt for our 15th anniversary, in 2023.

Cygnia
2021-06-17, 08:24 AM
Hubby's review of Old Grand-Dad (https://michaelsonby.blogspot.com/2021/06/taste-test-old-grand-dad.html)

Vykryl
2021-07-03, 07:41 PM
Finally located my missing bottle of Bulleit Rye :)

Cygnia
2021-07-24, 09:14 AM
Hubby's review of Angel's Envy (https://michaelsonby.blogspot.com/2021/07/taste-test-angels-envy.html)