PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying What are the virtues/cosmic forces associated with the Twilight Domain

DarkMoon250
2020-12-09, 11:57 PM
Cleric domain descriptions of deities usually list the various types of deity capable of granting the domain or different ways in which the true meaning of the domain can be expressed. With Tasha's style of subclass writing changing things up, that isn't really part of the Cleric domain descriptions anymore. So, when I read the Twilight Cleric description, all I can really get from it is "I only like the sun when its PM," "Van Helsing," and "Time for nappies." The individual deities mentioned on the examples list also don't seem to help unify the theme; you get a few night/shade gods, then you get a full-fledged sun god in there, a home deity, Helm [who at least makes sense as a source of vigilant blessing], and randos like Ilmater, Yondala, and Mishakal.

What's the core essence of the Twilight Domain? Is it shadow, evening sun, dusk, moon, night, slumber, tranquility, protection, or what? Is it just supposed to be a big mix of all of these?

Lord Vukodlak
2020-12-10, 12:31 AM
In the book it says
"Clerics who serve these deities bring comfort to those who seek rest and protect them by venturing into the encouraging darkness to ensure that the dark is a comfort and not a terror."
Ilmater is all about comfort and mercy on the suffering, Yondalla like Helm is focused on protection and the home. Helm, Ilmater, Yondalla and Selûne all have the life domain.

So the them for Twlight seems to be life, home and protection.

da newt
2020-12-10, 08:50 AM
I believe protection from the things in the dark is the overarching theme.

I think BATMAN is the prototypical Twilight Cleric Patron ...

Willie the Duck
2020-12-10, 11:47 AM
I'm honestly not sure that the designers were 100% sure on that. Certainly there are a number of real world mythologies about the transition from day into night and back, not all of them involving exclusively sun deities. Of course D&D's interpretation of polytheistic cultures is pretty far removed from how it worked IRL, so I'm not sure that strictly matters. My thoughts are that it can be anything sun, moon, day, time, transition-related, as well as any kind of illumination theme where Light domain would be a bad fit, as well as the home and protection theme.

In my own campaign, the worshippers who are lead by Twilight clerics are the kind who worship at great monolithic solar calendars (like Stonehenge, or temple parts of other ancient structures where sun hits an alter on the solstice or equinox).

P. G. Macer
2020-12-10, 04:19 PM
Night gathers, and now my watch begins. It shall not end until my death.
I shall take no wife, hold no lands, father no children. I shall wear no crowns and win no glory. I shall live and die at my post.
I am the sword in the darkness. I am the watcher on the walls. I am the fire that burns against the cold, the light that brings the dawn, the horn that wakes the sleepers, the shield that guards the realms of men.
I pledge my life and honor to the Night's Watch, for this night and all the nights to come.

I think the Night’s Watch oath from A Song of Ice and Fire/Game of Thrones is an excellent ethos for a twilight cleric, minus the parts about about celibacy, not owning property, and possibly winning no glory, which a D&D cleric can take or leave.

I’m a bit surprised that (from what I’ve read, as I probably won’t have Tasha’s until the 25th) Sehanine Moonbow and Eilistraee aren’t recommended as deities for the domain, especially as the former is a moon goddess mentioned in the PHB’s Appendix B on deities. I’m pretty sure either of those would be better fits than some of the other names I’ve heard bounced around, and the “healing” aspect in the lore seems a little redundant with the Life Domain.

Pex
2020-12-10, 06:54 PM
Joke answers:

1) Vampires and Werewolves

2) Spooky Things, Poetic Justice, Learning An Important Life Lesson

Mobius Twist
2020-12-10, 07:37 PM
To me, the Twilight concept is one of transition from one thing to another and being at ease with that. This encompasses personal growth in reaction to difficulty, acceptance in the face of adversity, some degrees of stoicism, and also a bit of the nihilistic "We're all going to die anyway" reasoning.

One concept I've tossed around is of a person who inadvertently got trapped in Shadowfell, learned to survive, but came back changed, the concept of shadow taking a toll. Perhaps they don't feel emotions as strongly and in lack of contrasts between joy and sorrow travel the world to give this comfort to others. Spellcasting coming from ye-olde-general-concepts-of-X may be distasteful to you, so Raven Queen's role as a collector of memories and aide to transiting departed souls can be a similar flavor.