PDA

View Full Version : Player Help Thoughts on interaction between Shield Guardian, Amulet, and Polymorph?

Bilbron
2020-12-10, 01:41 PM
So I'm thinking about ways to use my new Shield Guardian before bringing them to my DM for rules verification. Polymorph is an interesting spell to consider in how it interacts with the SG and the Master's Amulet.

Polymorphing the SG seems straightforward, but on reflection of the RAW, if it has the Giant Ape stat block, for example, it no longer has any magical connection to the amulet. It shouldn't confer any of its defensive benefits to the caster, obviously, but can he even control it anymore at that point? I suspect that most DMs would still allow this, but curious as to opinions.

Polymorphing myself seems more problematic. I've considered this to combo with Haste out of my familiar's spell gem so I'd still get a T-rex bite attack on the round I Polymorph, and 2 bite attacks per round thereafter. (I'd be standing next to my Paladin to get his saves bonus, so Concentration checks would be +9 and thus autopass unless over 22 damage taken). But this would entirely subsume the Master's Amulet, right? So I'd lose control over the SG. Would even preexisting orders hold up under these conditions?

Just trying to get a fair sense of what DMs think before approaching my own DM with potential SG tactics. Thanks.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-10, 01:53 PM
Just trying to get a fair sense of what DMs think before approaching my own DM with potential SG tactics. Thanks. You've got a Shield Guardian, and now you want a Spirit Guardian with cheese. I am thinking along the lines of "be careful of what you wish for, as you are sure to get it." :smallwink: Let's take a look at the polymorph spell again:

The new form can be any beast whose challenge rating is equal to or less than the target’s (or the target’s level, if it doesn’t have a challenge rating). The target’s game statistics, including mental ability scores, are replaced by the statistics of the chosen beast. It retains its alignment and personality. That bolded bit will I think be worth talking to your DM about, as I've seen some varying interpretations of that. The whole stat block changes, so yes, the damage mitigation is gone, but it still knows that it is your shield guardian if you keep the amulet on your person. Let Kong go forth and fight for you; only change him into Kong during times of duress, as that will be the kind of trigger that gets the Shield Guardian to do things to protect your PC.
{snip}

The creature is limited in the actions it can perform by the nature of its new form, and it can’t speak, cast spells, or take any other action that requires hands or speech. I am pretty sure that most DMs would rule that Kong can't cast the spell, but I as a DM would be open to the idea that the spell in the Shield Guardian is a lot like a Ring of Spell Storing. All of the V/S/M components used for the spell have been accomplished and used, and the SG just casts it. But, strictly speaking, that's a stat block ability of SG so I'd suggest that most DMs would veto the spell casting until SG returns to SG form.

Definitely a good plan to confer with DM on your various ideas.