PDA

View Full Version : Cleric Assassin (PEACH)

carrdrivesyou
2020-12-10, 02:41 PM
So I was playing around with some ideas, and figured out some rather unorthodox ways of doing the whole "sneaky killer" archetype. One with far less angst than the usual rogue. I was thinking more along the lines of : their contracts are just past their due date and must be ended. Strictly business, but is merciful and efficient. Alternatively, they are taking out the enemies of their god.

So here is the build:
Rogue Assassin 3, Twilight Cleric X
Race: Variant Human, or Custom Lineage from Tasha's, just need a feat, specifically the Metamagic Adept feat.
Metamagic Options: Subtle Spell, Distant Spell
Stat Spread: 8, 16, 12, 11, 16, 10 (V. Human)
Skills: Perception, Stealth, whatever else

You'll be using light armor, but will only carry typical cultist tools...a dagger and a holy symbol.
The idea here is to maximize the use of the Inflict Wounds spell and the Assassinate ability. With help from your metamagics, you should be able to kill from a decent distance or quietly. As both options only need a single SP to function, regardless of spell level. Using only a first level spell slot, your base damage is 6d10 necrotic, with advantage to hit from expertise sneak. Not to mention that this damage increases every other level by 2d10 (I'd say that scales decently). You will also have 300 feet of Darkvision, advantage on initiative rolls, and a Channel Divinity for funsies.

You could easily take out a fair number of targets of interest while they give speeches, or sneak into their house and ensure they pass quietly in their sleep. Alternatively, for flavor, you could Channel Divinity for Twilight Sanctuary, and remove their frightened condition while they accept their fate. Eventually, you'll be able to fly in the dark and other Twilight cleric stuff.

Honestly, this is a pretty interesting synergy that I would not have otherwise looked for. What do you think Playgrounders?

Dork_Forge
2020-12-10, 02:57 PM
The advantage on initiative oyu can give yourself is nice and the 3d10 of Inflict Wounds is nice to start off with, however I'm not sure this fits together that well besides this.

The Darkvision is nice but you're not really gaining any other stealth enhancements from the Twilight Cleric and Inflict Wounds doesn't scale the best.

I think a better fit here would actually be a Gloom Stalker, you get:

-a Wis bump to initiative
-Darkvision
-auto-invisibility against those that need Darkvision to see you
-An additional attack on the first turn, that you'll often have advantage on. If you do surprise then that extra d8 is doubled too
-Extra Attack doubles down on the Assassinate ability and general DPR
-Access to Pass Without A trace is a huge boon for an Assassin looking for Surprise