PDA

View Full Version : Rogue/barb -- which path?

RingoBongo
2020-12-10, 06:11 PM
Meet Wiglaf...

A mountain dwarf pirate (scout) recently displaced from his now pulverized crew.

18, 14, 16, 10, 14, 8 (with starting feat athlete). Wears half plate, dual wields, and shoots a bow (steady aim is nice), and sometimes likes to grapple.

The plan goes Rogue 1, Barb 1, Rogue (SCOUT) 13, Barb 3, Rogue 17

Feats/ASI (in order): mobile, alert, dual welder, +2 str, (tough or fighting style)

So at character level 15 I want to choose between: Bear/wolf totem OR ancestral guardian. I have gone back forth on this decision for a while between the 3 options... Which would you choose?

JNAProductions
2020-12-10, 06:53 PM
Do you have a real chance of getting to level 20?

Because if so, no path-Rogue 18 (Elusive) and Barbarian 2 (Reckless Attack) combo together MAGNIFICENTLY.

5eNeedsDarksun
2020-12-10, 06:57 PM
I'm just starting a similar character. I've got a level 1 rogue, 6 totem barb with double eagle abilities. Now I'm thinking of some echo knight levels. With some of the nature based abilities of the totem barb, expertise, and the echo, hopefully I'm able to do a few things besides hit things with sharp sticks.

RingoBongo
2020-12-10, 07:11 PM
Do you have a real chance of getting to level 20?

Because if so, no path-Rogue 18 (Elusive) and Barbarian 2 (Reckless Attack) combo together MAGNIFICENTLY.

That comes online a little late for my taste. Part of the reason why I want to go back down the barb road after rogue 13/ barb 1 is because rogue's 17 level power boost seems far away and at 15 I can reckless and 16 I can do a fancy rage.

JNAProductions
2020-12-10, 07:13 PM
That comes online wayy too late. Part of the reason why I want to go back down the barb road after rogue 13/ barb 1 is because rogue's 17 level power boost seems far away.

Totally fair. But keep it in mind-you never know.

solidork
2020-12-10, 09:12 PM
Ancestral Guardian and call on the ghosts of your old crew, imo.

Talionis
2020-12-10, 10:44 PM
I’d consider Barbarian 5 for extra Attack. Reliably getting Sneak Attack to hit is important.

Personally I like Ancestral I think it bring more help to a party.

RingoBongo
2020-12-11, 05:08 AM
Totally fair. But keep it in mind-you never know.

For sure, I definitely will. I actually hadn't thought of that so it is an option...

Ancestral Guardian and call on the ghosts of your old crew, imo.

Nice thematic answer! Now I have more of a reason for AG when I didn't as much before.

I’d consider Barbarian 5 for extra Attack. Reliably getting Sneak Attack to hit is important.

Personally I like Ancestral I think it bring more help to a party.

Trust me I considered this for a while. Ultimately barb 5 (if you're doing it that way) is a big investment you want to get online earlier, but it hinders rogue progression quite a bit. Personally, I want to get +10 movement (from scout 9), reliable talent, and the 8,10,12 feat sequence. Also, with dual weidling, when I go melee -- I get two chances with good to hit bonus. And when I got range (long bow) I can steady aim as a bonus action and get pretty decent to hit bonus anyway.

Ultimately, I know I need reliable sneak attack hits. But anymore attacks that hit on top of that I see as almost a waste -- especially when you are sacrificing the damage output of stacking sneak attack die early. I've done fighter 5 / rogue 5 before it's good, but this time around I want rogue stuff first and I believe I can justify dropping extra attack in this scenario.

Mitchellnotes
2020-12-11, 04:42 PM
I may have missed this... whats your rogue subclass? That may help with the decuding between the 2.

Edit: sorry, i see scout! Ancestral guardian with the extra movement abilities could be pretty neat. Esp.if you can reaction move away and the enemy cant follow

RingoBongo
2020-12-11, 04:44 PM
I may have missed this... whats your rogue subclass? That may help with the decuding between the 2.

Scout is my rogue subclass, and this sentence is now at least ten words long.