PDA

View Full Version : Multiple Shards from Tasha's at once.

Drache64
2020-12-10, 06:25 PM
When it comes to the elemental shard, outer essence shard, etc. What happens if you attune to multiple?

It looks like you could activate 1 or 2 or all at the same time...

Example:
If you were an Artificer with the metamagic initiate feat, you could attune to all 6 Shards and every time you cast a spell using just 1 socery point the following could all happen at once:

you cast something simple like catapult twinned. The moment you do, two targets suffer the effects of catapult 3d8. But then 1 can be hexed, catches fire for 2d10 damage, takes 3d6 necrotic and is frightened, takes 3d6 necrotic damage again, you roll on the wild magic table (1x per day), and can then teleport 30 feet away.

Astral Shard - 30ft teleport
Elemental shard: Fire - 2d10 fire damage
Far Realm - 3d6 and frightened
Fey wild - wild magic
Shadow fell - hex
Outer essence shard: Evil - 3d6.

Silpharon
2020-12-10, 08:04 PM
When it comes to the elemental shard, outer essence shard, etc. What happens if you attune to multiple?

It looks like you could activate 1 or 2 or all at the same time...

Example:
If you were an Artificer with the metamagic initiate feat, you could attune to all 6 Shards and every time you cast a spell using just 1 socery point the following could all happen at once:

you cast something simple like catapult twinned. The moment you do, two targets suffer the effects of catapult 3d8. But then 1 can be hexed, catches fire for 2d10 damage, takes 3d6 necrotic and is frightened, takes 3d6 necrotic damage again, you roll on the wild magic table (1x per day), and can then teleport 30 feet away.

Astral Shard - 30ft teleport
Elemental shard: Fire - 2d10 fire damage
Far Realm - 3d6 and frightened
Fey wild - wild magic
Shadow fell - hex
Outer essence shard: Evil - 3d6.

Heheh, I don't see why not, but taking all 6 attunement slots and a Metamagic feat is a big investment for not so much as a level 18 Artificer. I considered doing this with one or two shards as an artificer as well, and just couldn't justify the investment versus other options. There are some fun niche exceptions, but otherwise I'm not too impressed.

Drache64
2020-12-10, 11:23 PM
Heheh, I don't see why not, but taking all 6 attunement slots and a Metamagic feat is a big investment for not so much as a level 18 Artificer. I considered doing this with one or two shards as an artificer as well, and just couldn't justify the investment versus other options. There are some fun niche exceptions, but otherwise I'm not too impressed.

Story wise I just wanted an infinity gauntlet looking item lol

Silpharon
2020-12-11, 01:05 AM
Story wise I just wanted an infinity gauntlet looking item lol

Now that's funny! It would be cool if shards had different effects when combined. Gather them all, snap your fingers, game over.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-11, 09:15 AM
Should work. Except that part with Twinning Catapult. Can't do that.... Catapult targets an object and a line, even though it only damages the first creature in that line that fails the save.