PDA

View Full Version : Optimization Simic Hybrid

Poe
2020-12-10, 08:26 PM
Hey folks,

What are your best/favourite melee simic hybrid builds? We will most likely be playing in the Avernus campaign, so probably will only get to around level 13. I love the idea of a barbarian (maybe beast or wild) who glides into the enemies, or grapples them, then climbs high and drops them. Although, it would likely need some levels in rogue for the dash bonus action and expertise, and some in rune knight. I'm worried that might be a little too many classes to really come on line for quite some time.

What builds do others have? I also don't want to focus *too* much on this one grapple idea, as there will be many times where it won't be useful, and I will be the group's main melee warrior.

Also, if I were to do this grappling build, what level progression would work best?

Anything official, up to Tasha's.

Thanks all! :)
(and also thanks to anyone not named All :D)

Naanomi
2020-12-10, 08:38 PM
They fill a lot of gaps for aquatic characters, and can push AC a touch higher for tanky Barbarians

Amdy_vill
2020-12-10, 08:38 PM
Hey folks,

What are your best/favourite melee simic hybrid builds? We will most likely be playing in the Avernus campaign, so probably will only get to around level 13. I love the idea of a barbarian (maybe beast or wild) who glides into the enemies, or grapples them, then climbs high and drops them. Although, it would likely need some levels in rogue for the dash bonus action and expertise, and some in rune knight. I'm worried that might be a little too many classes to really come on line for quite some time.

What builds do others have? I also don't want to focus *too* much on this one grapple idea, as there will be many times where it won't be useful, and I will be the group's main melee warrior.

Also, if I were to do this grappling build, what level progression would work best?

Anything official, up to Tasha's.

Thanks all! :)
(and also thanks to anyone not named All :D)
The Soup Hybrid.

Druid moon 5 lvs

Barbarin totem 4 Lvs

Monk astral soul 4 lvs

I know it's not allowed but if you can convince me dm drop 3 levels in blood hunter Lycan removing one from each. the build focuses on slowly powering up every round with transformations I love it shifter is also a great pick.

Poe
2020-12-10, 08:44 PM
They fill a lot of gaps for aquatic characters, and can push AC a touch higher for tanky Barbarians

This is true. In campaigns around a lot of water, they can be really useful! And that carapace is definitely a big help for barbarians! :)

Poe
2020-12-10, 08:45 PM
The Soup Hybrid.

Druid moon 5 lvs

Barbarin totem 4 Lvs

Monk astral soul 4 lvs

I know it's not allowed but if you can convince me dm drop 3 levels in blood hunter Lycan removing one from each. the build focuses on slowly powering up every round with transformations I love it shifter is also a great pick.

Haha!! That does sound quite amusing! Almost like a doppelganger or mimic! Can I ask how it plays?

Amdy_vill
2020-12-10, 09:01 PM
Haha!! That does sound quite amusing! Almost like a doppelganger or mimic! Can I ask how it plays?

kinda slow, my home table tends to have rather long combats, 8-20 rounds. witch lets a build like this work. It's most about melee attacks and sending your bonus action to transform. I start with druid wild shape then range then monks extra arms thing, then if ou has blood hunter wolf out. once it is all set up it's mostly about ripping enemies apart. it's rather hard to bring you down. It defently gets out classes by other builds but i like it.

Poe
2020-12-10, 09:31 PM
kinda slow, my home table tends to have rather long combats, 8-20 rounds. witch lets a build like this work. It's most about melee attacks and sending your bonus action to transform. I start with druid wild shape then range then monks extra arms thing, then if ou has blood hunter wolf out. once it is all set up it's mostly about ripping enemies apart. it's rather hard to bring you down. It defently gets out classes by other builds but i like it.

It does sound like a lot of fun though! I was originally thinking of having my simic hybrid have some slug or slime DNA in him, and taking the astral monk, stating that it was slimy appendages coming out of him! Alas, I don't want to make wisdom very high, so monk will be wasted on me.