PDA

View Full Version : Optimization D&D 5e Powergamer's Tactics Room Review & Rating Series: New Spells from Tasha's

Bilbron
2020-12-11, 11:49 AM
I already discussed my opinion of the new Tasha's Summon spells, but what do I think of all the rest? Watch to find out!

10:45

https://youtu.be/gaBfp82H0EA

Ir0ns0ul
2020-12-11, 05:34 PM
Nice video, I share the same opinions. Mind Sliver and Tasha’s Mind Whip were a welcome addition to my Wizard’s arsenal.

However, in terms of proactive debuffing that doesn’t require Concentration, I’m more inclined to compare Tasha’s Mind Whip against Blindness/Deafness. Both don’t suffer the Humanoid restriction of Hold Person.

Which one do you think it’s better?

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 06:19 PM
However, in terms of proactive debuffing that doesn’t require Concentration, I’m more inclined to compare Tasha’s Mind Whip against Blindness/Deafness. Both don’t suffer the Humanoid restriction of Hold Person.

Which one do you think it’s better?

I compare Tasha's Mind Whip to a physical Counterspell. You may negate one round of (melee) enemy actions by spending a spell slot (no concentration required). It's not always worth doing, but it's worthwhile if what you're potentially negating is dangerous.

Obviously there are differences (2nd level vs. 3rd level, reaction vs. action, Int save vs. potential Int ability check) but in terms of tactical doctrine I think they occupy very similar niches.