PDA

View Full Version : D&D 5e/Next (P.E.A.C.H.) Path of the Runescarred - Furious Casting!

Ikedashi
2020-12-11, 02:33 PM
Path of the Runescarred

Some barbarian lodges learned how to cast spells even while raging, those deadly barbarians who bear magical runes carved into their flesh cast them with tremendous fury and are among the most feared warriors.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/f1/ef/6c/f1ef6cd8fa397954e8254a0606d69c9c.jpg

Runescar Spellcasting Table

Level
Cantrips Know
Spells Known
1st
2nd
3rd
4th

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-
-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-
-

-

-

-

-

-

-

3 - Runescars
When you reach 3rd level, you learn how to carve their own skin with magical runes, empowering your own combat abilities with divine spell effects. A runescar is a means of storing a spell, much like a scroll and can target yourself or an item in your possession only, even if the spell scribed could normally be bestowed on another subject. Spells with a range of Self (Area) fills this prerequisite. You can’t use amor, but can use a shield and still gain this benefit.

Cantrips.
You learn two cantrips of your choice from cleric, druid, paladin or ranger spell lists that can target yourself or an item in your possession. You learn an additional cleric, druid, paladin or ranger cantrip yourself or an item in your possession at 10th level.

Spell Slots.
The Runescar Spellcasting table shows how many spell slots you have to cast your spell of 1st level and higher. To cast one of these spells, you must expend a slot of the spell's level or higher. You regain all expended spell slots when you finish a long rest.

Spells Known of 1st-Level and Higher.
You know three 1st-level spells of your choice, two of which you must choose from the abjuration and transmutation spells on cleric, druid, paladin or ranger spell lists.
The Spells Known column of the Runescar Spellcasting table shows when you learn more cleric, druid, paladin or ranger spells of 1st level or higher. Each of these spells must be an abjuration or transmutation spell of your choice, and must be able to target yourself or an item in your possession and of a level for which you have spell slots. For instance, when you reach 7th level in this class, you can learn one new spell of 1st or 2nd level.
The spells you learn at 8th, 14th, and 20th level can come from any school of magic.
Whenever you gain a level in this class, you can replace one of the spells you know with another spell of your choice from cleric, druid, paladin or ranger spell lists. The new spell must be of a level for which you have spell slots, and it must be an abjuration or transmutation spell, unless you're replacing the spell you gained at 3rd, 8th, 14th, or 20th level from any school of magic.

Spellcasting Ability.
Constitution is your spellcasting ability for your spells, since the runescars canalize the power of your vigorous fortitude. You use your constitution whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your constitution modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your constitution modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your constitution modifier

3 - Furious Casting
Due to the nature of how runescar spells work, your lodge learned how to cast them even while raging. During a rage, to maintain concentration on a spell you need to make a constitution saving throw (DC 8 + Spell Level) at the end of each of your turns. Casting a runescar spell builds up your fury, counting as making an attack or taking damage from a hostile creature to maintain your rage. If you have another spellcasting class, you cannot cast spells from that class while raging, only the spells that you gains from runescars gains this benefit.

6 - Ritual Scarring
Through frequent disfiguration of your own body, your skin thickens granting additional protections. At 6th level you gain +1 of AC and 3 damage reduction against any damage you take.

10 - Fearsome Fury
At 10th level you can strike terror into the hearts of your foes while raging. Whenever you enters a rage, you can make each creature of your choice that is within 30 feet of you and aware of your presence froze in fear. They must succeed on a wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your constitution modifier) or become frightened of you for the duration of your rage and have their speed changed to 0 in the first round. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune against this effect for the next 24 hours.

14 - Warding Rune
At 14th level you are able to use the power of a rune know only by the elders of your tribe. Carved in your forehead, this rune protects you by bringing forth an instantaneous rage.
Any time you’re targeted by a spell effect or an attack roll, you can enter a rage (if available) before it affects you. Additionally, you have advantage on any saving throw during the turn you entered in rage.

noob
2020-12-13, 02:44 AM
I do not understand:

Spellcasting Ability.
Charisma is your spellcasting ability for your spells, since the runescars canalize the power of your vigorous will. You use your Constitution whenever a spell refers to your spellcasting ability. In addition, you use your Constitution modifier when setting the saving throw DC for a spell you cast and when making an attack roll with one.

Spell save DC = 8 + your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier
Spell attack modifier = your proficiency bonus + your charisma modifier
Is it charisma or constitution that you use (maybe you should even just use wisdom since it is divine magic powered through faith in runes)?
Furthermore

14 - Warding Rune
At 14th level you learn how to carve a mystical rune of your tribe. Carved in your forehead, this rune is capable to transform your vital power into a shield to your mind or body. 
As a reaction you can take 3d6 of damage to gain a bonus on one Saving Throw of your choice equal to your constitution modifier for 1 round. You can wait to use the warding rune after rolls the d20, but before your DM says whether the roll succeeds or fails. You can use this feature a number of times equal to your Charisma modifier (a minimum of once). You regain any expended uses when you finish a long rest.
Why is it charisma and not wisdom or constitution?

Ikedashi
2020-12-14, 05:23 AM
Is it charisma or constitution that you use (maybe you should even just use wisdom since it is divine magic powered through faith in runes)?

It was an overlook, in the first version of this class the casting stat was constitution. I was worried about balance inssues letting a BARB cast spells and aditional class features based on a major status for the class, as all other half casters and third casters suffer from a little of MAD because of this. Still, this class isn't affected that much by higher save DCs since his spells can only target him self, and the majority of them will be buffs with some exceptions like spirit guardians and dragon breath. I really prefer constitution lorewise thought.

What do you think would be the better stat, and why?

Furthermore
Why is it charisma and not wisdom or constitution?

The runes are driven by charisma; Another motivation for charisma investment as third major atribute on the subclass. For that fact, is another counter point to constitution as casting stat, since it would be a maximized stat anyway.

The notified errors will be corrected. Thx for your reply!

noob
2020-12-14, 06:50 AM
It was an overlook, in the first version of this class the casting stat was constitution. I was worried about balance inssues letting a BARB cast spells and aditional class features based on a major status for the class, as all other half casters and third casters suffer from a little of MAD because of this. Still, this class isn't affected that much by higher save DCs since his spells can only target him self, and the majority of them will be buffs with some exceptions like spirit guardians and dragon breath. I really prefer constitution lorewise thought.

What do you think would be the better stat, and why?

The runes are driven by charisma; Another motivation for charisma investment as third major atribute on the subclass. For that fact, is another counter point to constitution as casting stat, since it would be a maximized stat anyway.

The notified errors will be corrected. Thx for your reply!

There is an argument for wisdom for both class features: it is a divine abjuration caster so among the most clerical stuff and the other feature is a defensive one again based on the runes(which are divine in nature normally)
There is also the stuff: do you think it would make sense for the runes to suddenly become weaker because a creature disfigure your face?
Runes looks more like a faith thing than like a confidence in yourself thing and faith based characters uses wisdom(look at the cleric and the druid)
From wisdom:"Get a gut feeling about what course of action to follow" seems like faith.
There could also be an argument to make it be based on int: how well you draw the runes would probably be int based.
Dex could also make sense for rune accuracy but dex is op.
Constitution could be seen as "the more of it you have the more your body have energy to draw from" similarly to strength.(both could make sense but you do not want that because you decided that partial casters had to live in extreme madness: a wizard needs like 3 stats(dex,con,int) likewise for a fighter(dex,con,str) but you decided that this class would need 4(dex,con,str,charisma) making it unplayable in low value point buy)
For comparison the Eldricht knight which is fluffed as a fighter that studies wizardry(and draws from wizard spells) uses intelligence.
Your berserker draw from a divine spell list and all of them are used by wisdom casters.
Also in 3.5 runescarred berserkers did use wisdom(thus pointing toward the runes being a faith thing)
So why did you decide to use charisma?
Because you like to multiclass warlock and sorc?

I think that stats that makes sense are in this order:
1: wisdom(faith in the runes)
2: str or con(lifeforce for the runes to draw from since the level 14 feature involves runes drinking your own lifeforce it makes thematic consistency)
3: dex or int(skill in making the runes)
4: charisma makes the least sense it would be either A: "will the reality to change" like a sorcerer or B: "power of presence" like a bard neither of which are related to runes even in the slightest way.

Ikedashi
2020-12-14, 08:01 AM
There is an argument for wisdom for both class features: it is a divine abjuration caster so among the most clerical stuff and the other feature is a defensive one again based on the runes(which are divine in nature normally)

yeah, i can totaly see that rolling.

There is also the stuff: do you think it would make sense for the runes to suddenly become weaker because a creature disfigure your face?
Runes looks more like a faith thing than like a confidence in yourself thing and faith based characters uses wisdom(look at the cleric and the druid)

Charisma in this case isn't beauty, but know how impose your will and personality, much like a paladin in this aspect. But i can totaly see it having wisdom as casting stat too like back in the day.

Constitution could be seen as "the more of it you have the more your body have energy to draw from" similarly to strength.(both could make sense but you do not want that because you decided that partial casters had to live in extreme madness: a wizard needs like 3 stats(dex,con,int) likewise for a fighter(dex,con,str) but you decided that this class would need 4(dex,con,str,charisma) making it unplayable in low value point buy)
For comparison the Eldricht knight which is fluffed as a fighter that studies wizardry(and draws from wizard spells) uses intelligence.

Look, i probably hate MAD as much as you. i gave it a considerable amount of bonus AC to turn dex less important. and as i told, im trying to put it side-by-side balance wise with other published material. But as a master i could totaly let it fly with constitution, i prefer it flavorwise as i already told.

Your berserker draw from a divine spell list and all of them are used by wisdom casters.
Also in 3.5 runescarred berserkers did use wisdom(thus pointing toward the runes being a faith thing)
So why did you decide to use charisma?
Because you like to multiclass warlock and sorc?

i've got the idea from runescarred beserker my favorite barb class back in 3.5, but i gave my touch so i don't want to enter in the matter of "it was this way, why put this other way now?" for me it will lead us to no conclusion.

I think that stats that makes sense are in this order:
1: wisdom(faith in the runes)
2: str or con(lifeforce for the runes to draw from since the level 14 feature involves runes drinking your own lifeforce it makes thematic consistency)
3: dex or int(skill in making the runes)
4: charisma makes the least sense it would be either A: "will the reality to change" like a sorcerer or B: "power of presence" like a bard neither of which are related to runes even in the slightest way.

I will think of it being wisdom based or put it back to constitution, thank you for your insight.

noob
2020-12-15, 04:39 PM
3 - Furious Casting
Due to the nature of how runescar spells work, your lodge learned how to cast them even while raging. During a rage, to maintain concentration on a spell you need to make a constitution saving throw (DC 8 + Spell Level) at the end of each of your turns. Casting a runescar spell builds up your fury, counting as making an attack or taking damage from a hostile creature to maintain your rage. If you have another spellcasting class, you cannot cast spells from that class while raging, only the spells that you gains from runescars gains this benefit.

6 - Ritual Scarring
Through frequent disfiguration of your own body, your skin thickens granting additional protections. At 6th level you gain +1 of AC and 3 damage reduction against any damage you take.

10 - Fearsome Fury
At 10th level you can strike terror into the hearts of your foes while raging. Whenever you enters a rage, you can make each creature of your choice that is within 30 feet of you and aware of your presence froze in fear. They must succeed on a wisdom saving throw (DC 8 + your proficiency bonus + your constitution modifier) or become frightened of you for the duration of your rage and have their speed changed to 0 in the first round. A creature can repeat the saving throw at the end of each of its turns, ending the effect on itself on a success. If a creature's saving throw is successful or the effect ends for it, the creature is immune against this effect for the next 24 hours.

14 - Warding Rune
At 14th level you are able to use the power of a rune know only by the elders of your tribe. Carved in your forehead, this rune protects you by bringing forth an instantaneous rage.
Any time you’re targeted by a spell effect or an attack roll, you can enter a rage (if available) before it affects you. Additionally, you have advantage on any saving throw during the turn you entered in rage.
I quite like casting while raging and in this case it is mostly doable with attack spells because else you might take no damage nor attack and end the rage.

Your rage lasts for 1 minute. It ends early if you are knocked unconscious or if your turn ends and you haven’t attacked a hostile creature since your last turn or taken damage since then. You can also end your rage on your turn as a bonus action.
Can I cast a concentration wizard spell then rage and keep it going with con checks?(the rules does not seems to forbid that clearly)
Ritual scarring conceptually it comes from your skin being tougher so maybe it should not stack with armour(which is a kind of similar defence)? No clue if it makes sense since 5e seems to now have bounded accuracy meaning that the source of the boosts is not important(there is no "non stacking" rules because they assume they did not give a lot of things to stack).
What makes it great is that it is especially efficient against swarming due to giving damage reduction and no barbarian likes getting killed through a death of one thousand stings.
Fearsome fury grants a free fear spell although the creatures can fight back on the first turn(unless they have a teleportation ability)
Warding rune seems an helpful ability to survive the first turn against a dangerous encounter but once you reach level 20 it encourages ending and restarting the rage often if you have nothing better to do with your bonus actions(which is rare so it will probably not happen).

Ikedashi
2020-12-16, 05:55 PM
I quite like casting while raging and in this case it is mostly doable with attack spells because else you might take no damage nor attack and end the rage.

the intention is prevent him to use any spell that target others than himself, so i gave it this sentence in furious casting feature "Casting a runescar spell builds up your fury, counting as making an attack or taking damage from a hostile creature to maintain your rage." That way he can buff up him self with an action, rage as bonus, move and maintain his rage independently of being attacked or not.

Can I cast a concentration wizard spell then rage and keep it going with con checks?(the rules does not seems to forbid that clearly)

You got sharp lawyer eyes my friend lols.
I will fix it, the intention was to only be able to use with runescar spells. I don't know if it could lead to some crazy combo with tenser's transformation or something like that, but flavorwise is a NOPE.

Ritual scarring conceptually it comes from your skin being tougher so maybe it should not stack with armour(which is a kind of similar defence)? No clue if it makes sense since 5e seems to now have bounded accuracy meaning that the source of the boosts is not important(there is no "non stacking" rules because they assume they did not give a lot of things to stack).

the runescarred beserker labeled it as natural armor, but because of how AC is calculated in this edition i left it untyped. That way my intention was to it only being used with unarmored defense, because of the unarmored clause in runescar feature. I will specify that it only stacks with unarmored defense from now on.

What makes it great is that it is especially efficient against swarming due to giving damage reduction and no barbarian likes getting killed through a death of one thousand stings.

I thaught to give it some scalation (equal to proiciency maybe?) to keep its relevance in higher levels, but damage reduction seems to be a pretty rare thing, so i want to feel people thaughts first.

Fearsome fury grants a free fear spell although the creatures can fight back on the first turn(unless they have a teleportation ability)

i find this feature so flavorful, but at the same time could be a giant backfire. Frightened in fear spell cause to the target use Dash action to scape too, and it might leave our chacter with no valid target to maintain its rage. Even without it being said on Fearsome Fury flee is the natural behavior of a frightened creature. Or if the enemy is a spellcaster could use a teleportation spell or get invisible, something that i haven't thaught about.

Warding rune seems an helpful ability to survive the first turn against a dangerous encounter but once you reach level 20 it encourages ending and restarting the rage often if you have nothing better to do with your bonus actions(which is rare so it will probably not happen).

I'm thaughtful about this one, the balance of give a barbarian "resistance" against spells... maybe i will revert it to its older version. The instantaneous rage part is really nice though.

Thank you once more noob!