PDA

View Full Version : So, who is the G-Man? (Spoilers)

2007-11-05, 03:28 PM
I figure lots of people here have played Half-Life 1 and 2 as well as the episodes. I just finished episode 2 myself, and I got back to wondering something I've been wondering since the original HL.

Who the hell is the G-man?

In case you don't know exactly who I mean by G-man, he's the creepy, pale, suit-weating fellow who dosn't seem to know how to speak correctly and tends to manipulate space and time.

I've heard some people say he was Gordon Freeman from the future, but Gordon has red hair, G-man's is grayish black. I've heard other people say he was a government agent, but after the Seven Hour War, all the governments collapsed. I'm all for a good conspiracy, but don't you think that if the US or Russia or whatever had an agent with powers like G-man, they would've used them against the Combine?

In light of the new evidence presented in episode 2, I think we'll have to reconsider some things about G-man. I'll go over a few things we know about him, some of it may be conjecture, though:

1. He's got a connection to the 'vortessence'. Whatever it is, the things the vortigaunts use to communicate and sense one another through their apparent hive mind. Notice how vortigaunts don't seem to call themselves "I", but rather "this one". They also call humans "The Eli Vance" ect. G-man apparently trapped Gordon in the vortessence at the end of HL1, and since the gaunts were recently freed and didn't know who Gordon was, they didn't know to try and rescue him.

2. He isn't all powerful. The vortigaunts rescued Gordon Freeman from the G-man at the start of episode 1. I think this is worth noticing, because at least once I've heard someone say G-man is god, and I doubt god could be foiled by a few gaunts high on bug eggs.

3. He has apparently been through a rough time, similar to the Black Mesa incident. In Opposing Force he tell Adrian Shepard that he finds the ability to adapt and survive good traits, and that Shepard reminds him of himself.

4. He apparently kills/otherwise removes opposition when he can. He says this pretty much verbatim to Gordon during episode 2 when Alex is being healed. He references how some people didn't want him to save Alex from Black Mesa, which brings up two other interesting points.

5. He has superiors. He mentions them more than once during his conversations with Gordon, although he calls him 'employers' so he may be a mercenary of some sort, especially in light of what he says to Gordon at the end of HL2 about getting intruiguing offers. Breen also makes what could be a reference to G-man (and by proxy Gordon) being for hire, saying that Gordon's services are "Avaliable to the highest bidder".

6. He saved not only Gordon from Black Mesa, but also Alex and Adrian Shepard. I don't know about Barney, since I've never played Blue Shift. He apparently had some contact with Eli Vance before or soon after he saved Alex. Eli may have known more about what G-man wanted or planned, and I think it's concieveable this may have been why the Advisor ate Eli's brain first, maybe it wanted to know more about G-man as well? In any case, its interesting to note that G-man saved Alex from BM, but apparently decided she had served her purpose at the end of HL2, since the gaunts saved her and G-man seemed happy to let her die.

So, here's what I don't think G-man is:

I don't think he's Gordon fromthe future. Unless Gordon is a sadistic bastard, he'd have no reason to toy with himself and his friends as much as G-man does. I realize its a bit hard to say Gordon isn't sadistic, since he never speaks, but the other characters react to him as if he is a likeable, nice guy.

I don't think he's a government agent. I did think this aftr HL1, but since all the governments are gone in HL2, and since he uses tecnology thats more like magic (it may be magic for all we know, the vortigaunts don't explain much) it seems unlikely that the president and congress is chilling in a bunker somewhere telling him what to do.

I don't think he's working for the Combine. Everything about the Combine, from Breen to the Overwatch to the Advisors seems dead set on killing or capturing or maybe turning Gordon. If G-man was trying to help the Combine it seems as if he'd be turning Gordon against the rebels rather than sending him into situations where he'll want to help them. I suppose it could be some very Machevellian scheme, but I doubt it.

I don't think he's human. Ignoring the obvious clues like the ability to stop time, walk through walls, teleport, transport people across planets and space, and not being seen by anyone he dosn't want to (exept maybe vortigaunts), the G-man dosn't seem to act like a human. His speech patterns are weird, he breaths in the middle of words and has akward pauses. He's also very pale, and dosn't seem to move very natrually, everything about him is jerky and strange. Also, his eyes are a very unusual color green. They sort of fade into bluish black as they go outward from the iris.

Anyway, just thought it might be fun to hear what other people think about the G-man. Let me know your theories, or counters to what I've concluded.

Somebloke
2007-11-05, 03:35 PM
Truth be told, I doubt even the game designers have established who he is.

Nerd-o-rama
2007-11-05, 03:45 PM
The reincarnation of the Weighted Companion Cube.

/has only played Portal

Blayze
2007-11-05, 03:49 PM
Yeah. It seems as if they might have written themselves into a bit of a corner. They may end up pulling the "We'll never know for sure" card.

Korias
2007-11-05, 03:51 PM
I have a feeling that the G-Man isnt really anything at all, but some sort of materialization of Gordon's concience giving him insight. After all, you see him on all the TVs and things, and even when he's watching you come down the river in the boat. He might simply be Valve's way to tie the story together and get the characters where they need to be quickly and efficiently, and possibly the way to add an aura of "WTF" to the story.

Semidi
2007-11-05, 08:07 PM
I think he's an intergalactic mercenary. For all intensive purposes he has Mr. Freeman enslaved to do his dirty work.

HL1: Worked for the big bad creatures from HL1(end boss dude). Gordon Freeman was antagonizing him in this respect, and he ended up working for the G-man at the end instead of certain death. He was put into a state of hibernation until the G-man/Gordon's services were purchased again. He also stated in later games that he worked, "for the highest bidder."

HL2: The G-man is working for the resistance. Notice how the resistance forces aren't too surprised at Gordon showing up, Barney meets him at the gate and so on. Way to coincidental for it to be a mere fluke. He's tasked with blowing up the citadel, which he does. Notice how the G-man states how Gordon has the illusion of freewill--he's constantly doing what the G-man wants. A few bonus tidbits: You see the G-man on a TV screen that's not plugged in. The friendly Vort's are watching this TV.

HL Ep1 - Ep2: Gordon broke free of the G-man with the help of the Vort's. They seem to be holy men that have similar powers to the G-man and are protecting Gordon because Gordon is continuing the fight despite his task already being accomplished. What was The Eli Vance going to tell Freeman? Maybe that he’s been manipulating him, and that Gordon is really the G-man’s puppet?

That’s my theory. The Half-life story is so fantastic in this respect, it creates an experience where you know precisely what’s going in in the little picture, but the big picture is vague. It seems like the story truly is first person in that you see what’s going on through a lense.

Setra
2007-11-05, 08:15 PM
I've always considered the G-Man to be some sort of Alien, or perhaps from another dimension.

The fact he seems to be a mercenary could mean he is an outcast of his species, maybe? I dunno, I like wildly speculating.

On an unrelated note, he very much reminds me of Q.

SurlySeraph
2007-11-05, 08:30 PM
I think he's some kind of extradimensional alien, inhabiting a human host body. He's probably in the bureaucracy of some sort of mercenary corporation, and hires out the services of people he imprisons (like Gordon and possibly Adrian Shepherd) to whoever hires him. What I don't really know is who hired him to send Gordon against the Combine.

My original theory was that the Nihilanth hired him to help protect him from the Combine (since in a designer interview, they implied that Nihilanth was trying to get to Earth to escape from the Combine). When Gordon killed Nihilanth, the Gman just made the best of it by keeping him around for future clients to use. However, there are a few holes in that theory, like why Gman didn't try to harm Gordon more.

My next theory was that the Vortigaunts hired Gman to send Gordon against the Combine at the start of HL2. But since the Vortigaunts tried to keep him from reclaiming Gordon at the start of Ep. 1, that seems unlikely (unless they tried to welsh on their deal, which doesn't strike me as something a Vortigaunt would do).

Maybe Eli Vance hired Gman, but he acted surprised to hear Gordon was around in HL2, so I'm not sure there.

Thoughts?

2007-11-05, 08:36 PM
I have a feeling that the G-Man isnt really anything at all, but some sort of materialization of Gordon's concience giving him insight. After all, you see him on all the TVs and things, and even when he's watching you come down the river in the boat.

I don't think he's in Gordon's head, not only do you see him speaking with scientists in HL1 and Cubbage in HL2, Eli calls him "our mutual friend", and the 'chatty' Vortigaunt from HL2 says things like, "People look out through your eyes." I suppose he could mean the people playing the game, but maybe he means G-Man and whoever he's working for?

Jacob_Gallagher
2007-11-06, 09:36 AM
If you take a look in the HL1 files, theres a brief description of the G-man:

// the misguided servant of the people

Or something along those lines.

ufo
2007-11-06, 10:18 AM
He's a Jack Bauer/Sam Fisher mutation. You know it's true!

Seriously, though, I'm all for the mercenary from future/another dimension, as he states in HL2 that Gordons services were "open to the highest bidder" or something along those lines.

Jibar
2007-11-06, 11:52 AM
The reincarnation of the Weighted Companion Cube.

/has only played Portal

Probably pure speculation, but what if he has been investigating the test subjects?
That's no Cube you're talking to buddy.
That could be why the Cubes never talk to you in game... G-Man is too busy dealing with Gordon.

Yeah. Nothing more than an Epileptic Tree. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees?from=Main.EpilepticTree)

Yodaman23
2007-11-06, 08:05 PM
Its true that in Half Life 2 Barny and the rest of the resistance was expecting Gordan. Gman was the one who realeased Gordan in the train, and the man in the train said that he doesn't remember Gordan getting on. This means that Gordan actually appeared on the train, thus the Gman can't be a part of Gordan's conscious unless Gordan is a schizo who can teleport himself. (It's possible but unlikely). The resistance knows the Gman and has been talking to him in some way because of their knowledge of the Gman. The Vorts know the Gman and don't seem to like him much.

My guess:
I don't think my own guess is right but its possible.
We are not sure exactly how far Vort powers go, he could be a had Vort who like the Vorts are good at doing was rebelled against, and is just coming through as human as he can be. (I don't think so)

He speaks very robotically or at least like somthing that is trying its best to speak coherent english.

Pyro
2007-11-06, 08:24 PM
You know, I don't think in the current HL story the G-man has any employers. I think the writers are trying to distance themselves from that because these "employers" haven't been mentioned since HL1 and current plotlines suggest hes been doing a lot of stuff for himself. I don't think he was working for the resistance, even though it looked like it. Somehow the vorts seem too honorable to turn on him like that. What I believe is he's this interdimensional mercenary thats trying to take down the Combine for his own reasons. Like in Episode Eli says he gave him the test sample, so I think the G-man was trying to lure the Combine to Earth so he could have Gordon fight them away from their homeworld. I'm not sure where mercenary and highest bidder part fits into this. Somehow I found it much more likely that the G-man pulling the strings for his own reasons, than some unforeseen entity. Hmmmmm....

Khosan
2007-11-06, 08:49 PM
Probably pure speculation, but what if he has been investigating the test subjects?
That's no Cube you're talking to buddy.
That could be why the Cubes never talk to you in game... G-Man is too busy dealing with Gordon.

Yeah. Nothing more than an Epileptic Tree. (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/EpilepticTrees?from=Main.EpilepticTree)

I'm now tossing around the idea that the G-Man holds some distant connection to GLaDOS.

I mean, she can't speak properly. And has probably improved the Portal Gun to some degree that it could screw with time at her whim. May or may not be using the G-Man as her eyes and ears in the world.

It's a fun idea, but probably wrong.

Hoggy
2007-11-07, 09:34 AM
The spirit of Gordon's most stalwart companion - the crowbar. Unfortunately, it's an evil spirit, and thus is always trying to escape. Occasionally, it does from anywhere from a second to a few minutes, hence why Gordon occasionally meets the G-Man, the crowbar's hidden evil sentient's image in Gordon's reality.

God damn those sentient weapons.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-07, 11:15 AM
The spirit of Gordon's most stalwart companion - the crowbar. Unfortunately, it's an evil spirit, and thus is always trying to escape. Occasionally, it does from anywhere from a second to a few minutes, hence why Gordon occasionally meets the G-Man, the crowbar's hidden evil sentient's image in Gordon's reality.

God damn those sentient weapons.

Is there any proof that Gordon uses the same crowbar throughout all of Half-Life 1 and 2? There isn't a point where he loses all his weapons and has to find another crowbar is there?

NEO|Phyte
2007-11-07, 11:19 AM
By my count, he's used 4-5 crowbars, dependent on whether the one Barney gives him in HL2 is one of his old ones.

RandomLogic
2007-11-07, 11:42 AM
I'm on board with the "extra-dimensional entity" group. He talks with an odd pentameter so I don't think he's human. I also think hes a mercenary of sorts for what though, I have no idea.

I also don't expect to ever truly find out who/what the G-Man is. Mainly because I think that it would either a) destroy a lot of the great mystery around him and Gordon and b) I doubt Valve has even bothered hashing him out completely.

Hoggy
2007-11-07, 05:24 PM
Is there any proof that Gordon uses the same crowbar throughout all of Half-Life 1 and 2? There isn't a point where he loses all his weapons and has to find another crowbar is there?

You read an answer liek that and asked a serious question about it? :smalltongue:

Unless you were being uber-sarcastic, in which case, I salute you.

Ranis
2007-11-07, 05:35 PM
He's the alien leader, and Freeman is his training pet for the perfect engine of destruction. In HL2: EP3, the aliens will capture Freeman and brainwash him to fight against the humans, and his mutated hybrid form will be the final boss of HL3 and the end of the series.

Closet_Skeleton
2007-11-07, 05:44 PM
You read an answer liek that and asked a serious question about it? :smalltongue:

Unless you were being uber-sarcastic, in which case, I salute you.

Since I've never played half life beyond the first hour or so, I was just generaly interested if he kept the same trusty crowbar or had to seek out crowbars wherever he found them.

2007-11-07, 05:55 PM
Since I've never played half life beyond the first hour or so, I was just generaly interested if he kept the same trusty crowbar or had to seek out crowbars wherever he found them.

Gordon finds his first crowbar just outside of the place where he triggers the resonance cascade. He keeps this until he's ambushed by the soldiers and knocked out, after which all of his weapons are taken and he wakes up in a trash compactor.

After escaping the trash compactor he finds a crowbar lying nearby, I always assumed this was his original crowbar, and that the soldiers just threw it away. He continues throughout the rest of the Black Mesa incident with it, and (if you play like me) uses it to kill Nihilanth.

After stopping the Xen invasion, G-man takes the liberty of relieving Gordon of his weapons, telling him he earned the suit (which is ironic, since in HL2 he dosn't start with it). The G-man obviously identifies the crowbar as a weapon and takes it.

We can't be sure, but I assume that G-man, the scheming bastard he is, planted the crowbar somewhere for Barney to find. Barney kept the crowbar as a memory of his friend's sacrifice fighting the Xenians. When Gordon appears again, he gives the crowbar he's kept for somewhere around fifteen years to him.

Gordon keeps his old trusty crowbar throughout most of the rest of the game, although he hardly uses it after killing two Combine soldiers with it, as the Zero Point Energy Manipulator is better at breaking boxes. His loyal crowbar is destroyed, though, when he is captured in the citadel, along with all his other weapons save the Gravity Gun.

The next crowbar he gets is from Barney again, it was being used as a stopper in a bridge wench. Gordon loses this one in the trainwreck at the end of episode 1.

The most recent crowbar Gordon found in a similar position inside of a mine near White Forest. As far as we know, he still has it.

Thus endeth the story of Gordon Freeman's crowbar.