PDA

View Full Version : Mystic comparisons

mistermysterio
2020-12-11, 04:15 PM
Trying to decide how to build a mystic. Trying to compare melee mystic, ranged mystic, and spellcasting/psionic pew pew damage and capabilities. Can anyone shed some light here? Melee mystic seems super MAD, and spell-casting mystic seems fairly SAD... :D

Thanks

Dork_Forge
2020-12-12, 05:48 PM
Are you looking to just single class this and what levels are you looking at?

carrdrivesyou
2020-12-13, 01:44 AM
Check my guide (link in signature). Should be able to help you out.

mistermysterio
2020-12-13, 04:33 AM
I'm pretty open to builds... including multiclassing.

I've actually been looking at the guide already. It is certainly helpful, but even still, there are so many options and the guide doesn't really separated based on type of mystic (melee vs. ranged vs. spellcaster).

I noticed that the guide has STR as the lowest stat... is that true even for melee-centric mystics?

carrdrivesyou
2020-12-13, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty open to builds... including multiclassing.

I've actually been looking at the guide already. It is certainly helpful, but even still, there are so many options and the guide doesn't really separated based on type of mystic (melee vs. ranged vs. spellcaster).

I noticed that the guide has STR as the lowest stat... is that true even for melee-centric mystics?

Strength is mostly wasted, as you will want some AC, and Dex can do both. There is nothing saying you CAN'T build it with strength, but it's not optimal.

Honestly, it's more built for striking than anything else, but niche builds could be had, such as a mountain dwarf with giant growth. You'd still need a little bit of Dex though for medium armor.

mistermysterio
2020-12-13, 06:47 PM
Lacking str you just miss out on a bit of damage, yeah?

So, max damage would be what... 7psi bestial claws with 7 psi lethal 7 psi lethal strike?

carrdrivesyou
2020-12-14, 09:45 AM
Well, you can't stack Bestial Claws with Brute Strike, as they both use a bonus action to activate and only last until the end of that turn. You can get another 7d6 with Knock Back, costing your reaction though, and it triggers on a hit.

mistermysterio
2020-12-14, 11:17 AM
Ah... I wasn't aware the claws required a bonus action, based on the wording:

Bestial Claws (1–7 psi). You manifest long claws for an instant and make a melee weapon attack against one creature within 5 feet of you. On a hit, this attack deals 1d10 slashing damage per psi point spent.

carrdrivesyou
2020-12-14, 01:50 PM
You might want to double check you are using Version 3.

mistermysterio
2020-12-14, 03:06 PM
https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UAMystic3.pdf

is that the correct one? I'm trying to search for different versions, but I'm not having a ton of luck. That says "Mystic3", but the bestial claws still does not mention a bonus action:

Bestial Claws (1–7 psi). You manifest long
claws for an instant and make a melee weapon
attack against one creature within 5 feet of you.
On a hit, this attack deals 1d10 slashing damage
per psi point spent.

~Copied and pasted directly from the link

carrdrivesyou
2020-12-15, 09:21 AM
Nope, that's my bad. I mixed up Brute Strike with Lethal Strike. The other two should work just fine. But yea. that's about top end. You COULD get an extra bit from Giant Growth as well.