PDA

View Full Version : Mix and Match Cleric: Arcana, Knowledge, Trickery, Twilight

Wasp
2020-12-11, 04:45 PM
Hi everyone!

For a one shot at 12th level I am playing a cleric of a goddess associated with magic, forbidden knowledge, the night, the moon and the stars as well as shadows and illusions. The DM has decided they would allow me to mix and match the cleric subclass features of the Arcana, Knowledge, Trickery & Twilight Domain.

The restrictions are:
1. Domain spells: You can pick any two spells from the combined domain spell lists of the four domains at each 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th and 9th level for that level. So on first level you can choose between Detect Magic, Magic Missile, Command, Identify, Charm Person, Disguise Self, Faerie Fire and Sleep. This is fixed and cannot be changed.
2. At 1st, 2nd, 6th, 8th and 17th level you can choose one of the subclass features of the four domains for that level. The Twilight Cleric's "Proficiency with martial weapons & heavy armor", "Eyes of Night" and "Vigilant Blessing" features at 1st level count as three different features (so you can only take one of them).

I was thinking of essentially just going Trickery Cleric 12 but take the Twilight Cleric's "Eyes of Night" for easily shared Darkvision at first level --- but what would you (as someone less boring I assume) do?

I would otherwise fulfill the traditional cleric role. Standard Point Buy. Feats and Multiclassing allowed. As well as UA.

kaervaak
2020-12-11, 05:02 PM
Twilight Cleric's level 1: Heavy armor and martial weapons, eyes of the night, and vigilant blessing. These are all super good. Way better than anything else you get at 1st level.

Arcana cleric would be a nice choice to grab blade cantrips if you want to be a front liner

Trickery Domain's spell list is probably the best

Twilight Cleric's level 2: Channel Divinity: Twilight Sanctuary - this is incredible protective value, 1d6 + level THP and end charmed/frightened for 1 minute

Twilight or Arcana Cleric's 6th level: Flight with twilight or spell breaker for arcana. Spell breaker is great for party support and healing

Arcana or Knowledge Cleric's 8th level: Potent spellcasting for wisdom bonus to cantrip damage

Arcana cleric's 17th level: Arcane mastery for some sweet wizard spells (Wish!)

MrStabby
2020-12-11, 07:14 PM
Ok, so from an optimisation perspective (simply as the rest is too taste dependant)

Domain Spells

1) Faerie Fire, Identify
2) Pass without trace, Moonbeam
3) Aura of Vitality, Leomund's tiny hut
4) Polymorph, Dimension Door
5) Planar Binding, Circle of Power

Level 1 ability:
Arcane Initiate - yes you can take the classic booming blade/greenflame blade, but also spells like thunderclap, create bonfire, acid splash or anything that does damage multiple times is good for when you hit level 8. If nothing else, just having a decent cantrip to use that has an attack roll is good - for magic resistant enemies and for when you have advantage.

Level 2 ability:
Twighlight sanctuary. Just awesome.

Level 6 ability:
Tough choice but I would go for the arcana cleric's spell breaker. Your support capability is now pretty obscene

Level 8:
Potent spellcasting

Level 17:
Arcane mastery. Obviously superb.

This should push you over the top in terms of support capability, give you access to a range of spells and effects you would never normally have access to including things like moonbeam which is a solid enough damage spell and useful if you don't want to get too stuck in. Spellbreaker triggers whenever you restore hit points with a spell, not whenever you cast a spell that restores hit points... aura of vitality mecomes a bonus-action dispelling machine.