PDA

View Full Version : Tactical Challenge: A Few Minutes, or An Eternity (lvl 6 PCs survival vs boss)

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 06:12 PM
The Setup:

Your PC is an adventurer, part of an organization working to defeat Lord Dalan, local amateur of both tyranny and seeing adventurers' heads be separated from their bodies. As more join your cause, you are tasked with making contact with three new recruits, meeting them on the road then guiding them to an isolated, abandoned chapel, where they would meet the one who'll get them to your organization's HQ.

As you've accomplished your mission and are about to leave, you receive a series of Sending spells: Lord Dalan's military was made aware of this rendez-vous and are now drawing closer, the guide to HQ is still too far to help, and the tyrant has sent one of his lieutenants ahead of the troops to handle this adventurer problem personally. The lieutenant will be at the chapel in what is estimated 4 to 6 minutes, and Xanthous Heysel, the only person currently at HQ who can cast Teleportation Circle, will need 7 minutes to finish the rest she needs to recover the energy to cast it and to cast it proper, bringing enough allies to the fight to rescue you.

Your new mission: survive until then, and keep as many people alive as possible

The Stage:

The chapel is 60ft long and 30ft wide, one stories tall, with a roof reaching 15ft at its apex and 10ft where it meets the walls. Its walls are in brick, all its windows are heavily bared, the only way in or out is the moldy pair of doors at one of its ends, while the only remaining furniture is a 10ftx5ftx4ft stone altar at 45ft from the entrance (and as such 10ft of the wall opposite to the doors), and exactly in the middle of the 30ft distance between the other pair of walls. The permanent Teleportation Circle is drawn around the altar.

It is now night time and raining heavily, resulting in heavy obscurment outside of the chapel. There is no light source in the chapel at the moment, but there is the time to light some while waiting for the boss to arrive.

Map:

https://64.media.tumblr.com/65b9f95878c6dd06e5ef0702017567b8/400c5786c93b45e0-89/s540x810/1ae6157563eeb756b8117f1e3fae4d1318b43671.png

The Cast:

Your PC: lvl 6, standard array, average HPs, all official material authorized, one uncommon magic item, 2000gp of budget on top of your starting equipment.

Your teammates will obey to your instructions, as long as it doesn't seem it will result in their own death. If it *does* seems like following your instructions will lead to their own death, or if not given instructions/unable to carry out the ones they're given, they will act according to their personal Tactics section.

Kosrafen, Jester of the Hunt: a gaunt figure whose appearance under the dirty jester uniform and masked face is unknown. They claim to have been the personal jester of a Wild Hunt's leader, but that they "fell off the mount during a jump".

Variant Human Fey Wanderer Ranger 6, Entertainer Background

Chaotic neutral.

STR 8, DEX 18 (15+1+2), CON 12, WIS 14 (13+1), INT 10, CHA 14

Speed: 35ft, climbing 35ft, swimming 35ft

AC: 16 (studded leather+DEX mod)

HPs: 46 (10+(6*5)+(1*6))

Saves: Str: +2, Dex: +7

Skills: Perception, Stealth, Survival, Acrobatics, Performance (expertise)

Passive Perception: 15

Feat: Sharpshooter

Features:
Favored Foe, Deft Explorer (Canny (Performance), Roving), Fighting Style (Archery), Extra attack, Spellcasting, Fey Wanderer Magic, Dreadful Strike, Primal Awareness (Speak with Animals, Beast Sense)

Equipment: Storm Boomerang, longbow, studded leather, 30 arrows + quiver, explorer's pack, bullseye lantern with 3 hours of oil left, component pouch.

Attack:

Storm Boomerang: range 60/120, +9 to hit, damage 1d4+4 bludgeoning (if it hits, one charge: 3d4 thunder damage, and the target must succeed on a DC 10 Constitution saving throw or be stunned until the end of its next turn). On a miss, the boomerang returns to the thrower's hand.

Longbow: +9 to hit, damage 1d8+4

Spells: Charm Person, Misty Step, Spike Growth, Cordon of Arrows, Goodberry, Zephyr's Strike

Tactics: Kosrafen starts the preparations by putting their lantern on the altar, facing the doors, and lighting it. They then set up their four arrows for Cordon of Arrows outside the doors (as usual for the Tactics section, unless stopped).

During the fight, Kosrafen plans to stay behind the altar and uses their ranged options to support the group from there. If an enemy approach they will try to put as much distance between them as it is safe to do then focus on attacking said enemy until the enemy gives up targetting the ranger.

The Jester of the Hunt's desire for survival is greater than any ideology or sympathies they have for the other characters or their cause, and having to defend themselves from lethal circumstances before even officialy joining the organization has shaken them. If they are at less than 23 HPs, they will attempt to flee the whole ordeal by any mean necessary, including using their spells to do it. If it's others who are in danger, they will try to help the best they can.

The Dark Maw, Overdramatic Githyanki Hitman: This heavily-tattooed extraplanar blade-for-hire boasts impressive capacities in martial skills, psionics, and sheer unkillability. While he may appears as a simple brute at first, his aggressive combat style is meant to sucker his foes into adopting his rhythm by trying to keep up, giving him control of the flow of battle. His biggest weakness, however, is his self-acknowledged but rarely self-controlled overindulgence in theatrics.

Githyanki Barbarian 2/Psi Warrior Figther 4, Far Traveler Background

Lawful evil.

STR 16 (14 +2), DEX 13, CON 16 (15+1), WIS 8, INT 14 (12+1+1), CHA 10

Speed: 30ft

AC: 17 (half-plate + DEX mod + Defense Fighting Style)

HPs: 61 (12 + (1*7)+ (4*6)+ (6*3))

Saves: Str: +6, Con: +6

Skills: Athletics, Intimidation, Insight, Perception

Passive Perception: 12

Feats: -

Features:

Rage (2), Unarmored Defense, Danger Sense, Reckless Attack, Fighting Style (Defense), Second Wind (1d10+4), Psionic Power (6 dice) (Protective Field (1d6+2), Psionic Strike. (1d6+2))

Equipment: Nothing but his weapon, armor, and his clothes.

Attack:

Double Bladed Scimitar +1: +7 to hit, damage 2d4+4 slashing, 2d4+6 in Rage

Double Bladed Scimitar +1 (bonus action): +7 to hit, 1d4+4 slashing, 1d4+6 in Rage

Tactics: The Dark Maw is fearless, but knows the situation is dire. He will not enter Rage until he is certain he can reach the boss on the same turn, and goes in for an attack-focused Action Surge as soon as possible. He would rather use his Psionic dice for Protective Field, but an opportunistic Telekinetic Movement trumps even that. He'll only use Psionic Strikes if the boss seems close to death (or if ordered).

While smart enough to not venture outside of the chapel usually, if the enemy he's currently fighting tries to flee while the Dark Maw is Raging and risks to lose his Rage this turn/round, he will try to pursue them anywhere the enemy go.

The Dark Maw will only accept instructions that he sees as likely to result in his death if he thinks doing it will kill the boss in a suitably epic fashion.

Saint Yondel, Guardian of the Hearth and the Final Rest: Longtime helper of those in needs, Saint Yondel is not one to tolerate Lord Dalan's abuses of power, and is ready to unleash the full power of the homestead and the grave to put an end to them.

Stout Halfling Grave Cleric 6, Folk Hero Background

Neutral good.

STR 15, DEX 14 (12+2), CON 14 (13+1), WIS 16 (14+2), INT 8 , CHA 10

Speed:

AC: 19 (half-plate + DEX MOD + shield)

HPs:

Saves: Wis: +6, Cha: +3

Skills: Medicine, Religion, Animal Handling, Survival.

Passive Perception: 18 (+5 Sentinel Shield)

Feats: -

Features: Grave Domain, Channel Divinity (2), Circle of Mortality, Eyes of the Grave, Path to the Grave, Sentinel At Death's Door.

Equipment: Sentinel Shield with holy symbol painted on it (grants advantage on initiative and Wis (Perception) checks), diamond worth 300gp, mace, half-plate, explorer's pack.

Attack:

Mace: to hit +5, 1d6+2 damage

Sacred Flame: range 60ft, DEX save DC 14, 2d8 randiant damage, ignores cover.

Spells: Bane, False Life, Gentle Repose, Ray of Enfeeblement, Revivify, Vampiric Touch, Spirit Guardians, Mass Healing Word, Dispel Magic, Silence, Spiritual Weapon, Shield of Faith, Silence, Bless, Cure Wound.

Cantrips: Mending, Sacred Flame, Guidance, Light, Spare the Dying.

Tactics:Sain Yondel prepares by casting Light on her magic shield. She tries to stay in the middle of the room and provide support to those who are within reach of the boss in priority.

While she would sacrifice her life for others without hesitation if push comes to shove, the Cleric knows her healing and resurrective powers are important to have as many people alive as possible when reinforcement arrives. As such, she will only accept instructions she think will result in her death or incapacitation if she thinks doing so would save more lives than the spell slots she has left at the time.

The Boss:

The boss's nature and tactics will be revealed in this post right here. (https://forums.giantitp.com/showsinglepost.php?p=24843408&postcount=55)

However, a limitation I will inform you is that the boss will arrive at the chapel alone, and will not use any active capacity before the initiative order start. And of course Lord Dalan is not going to send someone alone unless he think they will win regardless.

I'm at your disposal to answer your questions, so please don't hesitate to ask them. I reserve the right to not answer them if they'll betray the boss's nature and/or tactics, however. I will also finish the other PCs ASAP.

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 06:41 PM
Amusing. I like the setup.

My first thought is "Rope Trick."

My second thought is that I'd like to play Giuseppe Zengara (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?553941-Rolling-Vs-Point-Buy-Stats-amp-Discussion/page2), my 3d6-in-order petulant antihero Necromancer (Str 6, Dex 7, Con 8, Int 7, Wis 4, Cha 9).

Unfortunately the first and second thoughts don't go together well (Zengara wouldn't be able to cast Rope Trick in heavy armor until level 8) so let's just go with the second because Rope Trick is too easy to be fun. Can I assume that I've got my plate armor on and some of my undead bodyguards with me, say twelve skeletons? but that I haven't done Arcane Recovery yet so have no 3rd level spell slots left? (Not that it matters since I can't spellcast in heavy armor yet.)

I'll take an Elemental Gem (Red Corundum) as Giuseppe's Uncommon item, since breaking the gem doesn't actually require me to cast a spell. I may or may not actually need it but Giuseppe likes destroying things with fire and scaring people, so overkill is sort of his thing. But he likes melodrama too, so I won't actually break the gem until I'm done with my unhinged ranting at the bad guy, once he shows up.

Giuseppe Zengara
Human Guild Artisan/Necromancer 6
Feats: Lightly Armored, Moderately Armored
Str 6, Dex 10 (7 + 3 for vhuman and feats), Con 8, Int* 8 (7 + 1 for vhuman), Wis* 4, Cha 9, AC 20, HP 20. * = proficient
Knows: Painter's Tools, Builder's Tools, Arcana, Perception, Common, Herdazian
Thinks he is good at Persuasion but is definitely NOT.

Deliberately NOT proficient in Stealth, which is really unusual for me. But in this case it doesn't fit his personality. The only reason he's got Perception is because he is also paranoid and jumpy.

I'm looking forward to the interactions between Giuseppe and The Dark Maw.

noob
2020-12-11, 06:56 PM
However, a limitation I will inform you is that the boss will arrive at the chapel alone, and will not use any active capacity before the initiative order start. And of course Lord Dalan is not going to send someone alone unless he think they will win regardless.
So if no player rolls initiative does the boss still roll for initiative?

I assume the boss is immortal or else it would not be a "survive" challenge but be a "deal unreasonable amounts of damage for your level within a short time span" challenge

The dark maw seems a potential first victim of the boss due to melee attacks.
I am going to assume the boss is either an invulnerable knight or an invulnerable gladiator.
In the former case the fight will be a long fight of attrition and in the latter case the team will die fast unless abusing op stuff like web.
If the lord is a caster the fight will be ridiculously short as the team will die to two spell casts.

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 07:01 PM

I assume the boss is immortal or else it would not be a "survive" challenge but be a "deal unreasonable amounts of damage for your level within a short time span" challenge

I guess the boss could be stealthy and mobile, and opportunistic about when to attack and whom. Boy, wouldn't a Boneclaw make a good boss for this scenario? I think so! Even if Unoriginal has something different in mind, I'd totally use a Boneclaw here.

Bovine Colonel
2020-12-11, 07:03 PM
Does our PC get any nonmagical gear, or gold to buy nonmagical gear, aside from starting equipment?

Edit:

Herdazian

Is he one of The Lopen's cousins by any chance?

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 07:08 PM

I mean the players don't have a choice, the boss is here to fight, and a fight starting means everyone

The boss can be killed, if the PCs manage to deal enough damage or find another way to kill them. Killing the boss is one of the ways to survive.

noob
2020-12-11, 07:09 PM
I mean the players don't have a choice, the boss is here to fight, and a fight starting means everyone

If the pcs are already unconscious by the time the boss comes the boss wins right?
Do surrendering people gets killed too?

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 07:14 PM
Amusing. I like the setup.

Thank you.

Thinks he is good at Persuasion but is definitely NOT.

Well that's certainly going to be interesting when interacting with the "will obey to your instructions, as long as it doesn't seem it will result in their own death" part of the challenge.

Can I assume that I've got my plate armor on and some of my undead bodyguards with me, say twelve skeletons?

Yes for the plate armor, and yes for the 12 skeletons.

I'm looking forward to the interactions between Giuseppe and The Dark Maw.

Fun thought. I am imagining Giuseppe as being portrayed by Dany DeVito.

If the pcs are already unconscious by the time the boss comes the boss wins right?
Do surrendering people gets killed too?

The boss is here to fight. If the PCs don't hit back it's their problem, not the boss's.

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 07:14 PM
Is he one of The Lopen's cousins by any chance?

Yes, but he has no sense of humor about Herdazian jokes, or anything else.

Well that's certainly going to be interesting when interacting with the "will obey to your instructions, as long as it doesn't seem it will result in their own death" part of the challenge.

He's too arrogant to bother trying to persuade the other PCs, he'll probably attempt to just give orders instead, which is closer to Intimidate than Persuade. Persuasion is more applicable to his unhinged ranting about the injustice of the System and how it's responsible for his stomach pain. I fully expect the bad guy to completely ignore any arguments Giuseppe makes, but to Giuseppe that's a moral indictment of the bad guy (continuing to be blind when he's clearly been shown the Truth) and not a failure of persuasion. He's a little nuts.

Here's a visual/song: https://youtu.be/iMjgaHa5qTs?t=47

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 07:17 PM
Does our PC get any nonmagical gear, or gold to buy nonmagical gear, aside from starting equipment?

Yes, I would say 2000gps of budget on top of starting equipment would be appropriate.

I'll edit OP to include that.

MaxWilson, could you please verify your and your skeletons' equipment is covered by that budget?

Bovine Colonel
2020-12-11, 07:19 PM
In addition to my equipment question (answered), do the PCs need to defend the chapel/teleportation circle in addition to their own lives, or will reinforcements appear at the 7 minute mark regardless of what the PCs do?

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 07:29 PM
In addition to my equipment question (answered), do the PCs need to defend the cathedral/teleportation circle in addition to their own lives, or will reinforcements appear at the 7 minute mark regardless of what the PCs do?

Thanks for reminding me, I knew I was forgetting something.

Destroying the circle would prevent the reinforcements from appearing. However I can say in advance that the boss won't be working on disabling the circle, mainly because the boss does not know the cavalry is going to arrive by here.

If the PCs destroy the circle or give the boss a reason to attempt to destroy it, that's another issue.

The PCs have no reason to protect the chapel as long as the circle is not damaged.

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 07:33 PM
Yes, I would say 2000gps of budget on top of starting equipment would be appropriate.

I'll edit OP to include that.

MaxWilson, could you please verify your and your skeletons' equipment is covered by that budget?

Sure. I didn't realize I could upgrade their equipment too, but awesome. Twelve light crossbows is 12 * 25 = 300 gp. Plate armor is 1500 gp. Shield is 10 more gp. That leaves 190 gp to buy melee weapons (I'll take a dozen shortswords for 120 gp, and a dozen daggers for 24 gp) and ammunition (twenty bolts per skeleton = 12 gp) plus two nets per skeleton (24 gp) and a dagger for Giuseppe (2gp).

300 + 1500 + 10 + 120 + 24 + 12 + 24 + 2 = 1992 gp, so let's spend 8 gp on 70 flasks of oil (7 sp), 50 torches (5 sp), and a tinderbox (5 sp). Giuseppe's a little fire-crazy and melodramatic, so we're going to light all of the torches before the bad guy shows up and plant them in the ground everywhere, like some kind of crazy KKK ceremony. Breaking the gem to summon the Fire Elemental will be the dramatic climax.

Can I assume BTW that breaking the gem makes a Fire Elemental appear no matter where I break it, or do I (as with Conjure Elemental) have to do it specifically on an area covered in flame? Because if the latter then I'll need to arrange some oil flasks and torches accordingly.

There's a little bit of roleplaying vs. wargaming tension here in that what I want to do (the tactically smart thing) is not necessarily what Giuseppe wants to do, and I think in this case I'm going to lean a little on Giuseppe's side, which means there's going to be a certain amount of maniacal overconfidence. If the bad guy wants to draw Giuseppe's minions out of the chapel and into the darkness, all he has to do is act scared and Giuseppe will buy it and be all like, "Kill him, my minions! Don't let him get away!" He's only Int 7 Wis 4 after all. So, fair warning here: I'm not going to be doing anything deliberately tactically sophisticated. I recognize that the torches HAPPEN to probably be a good idea tactically but he's got the torches for roleplaying reasons, and he's not going to do the smart thing e.g. wait calmly in the torchlight with the other PCs until the Teleportation Circle finishes.

Tactically speaking, Zengara is basically a Reckless Barbarian in the outward form of a low-stats Necromancer.

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 07:48 PM
Can I assume BTW that breaking the gem makes a Fire Elemental appear no matter where I break it, or do I (as with Conjure Elemental) have to do it specifically on an area covered in flame? Because if the latter then I'll need to arrange some oil flasks and torches accordingly.

Re-reading the wording of both the item and the spell, you would need a source of flame for the Elemental to appear. But any source of flame would do, given how Fire Elemental can squeeze.

There's a little bit of roleplaying vs. wargaming tension here in that what I want to do (the tactically smart thing) is not necessarily what Giuseppe wants to do, and I think in this case I'm going to lean a little on Giuseppe's side, which means there's going to be a certain amount of maniacal overconfidence. If the bad guy wants to draw Giuseppe's minions out of the chapel and into the darkness, all he has to do is act scared and Giuseppe will buy it and be all like, "Kill him, my minions! Don't let him get away!" He's only Int 7 Wis 4 after all. So, fair warning here: I'm not going to be doing anything deliberately tactically sophisticated. I recognize that the torches HAPPEN to probably be a good idea tactically but he's got the torches for roleplaying reasons, and he's not going to do the smart thing e.g. wait calmly in the torchlight with the other PCs until the Teleportation Circle finishes.

More than fair. For what it's worth, the tactics of both the allies and the boss will also be more RP-appropriate decisions. It just happens some of them are good at combat RP-wise too.

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 07:56 PM
Re-reading the wording of both the item and the spell, you would need a source of flame for the Elemental to appear. But any source of flame would do, given how Fire Elemental can squeeze.

Normally with the spell, if you want to summon a fire elemental, you need a fire that "fills a 10-foot cube within range", or you'll get some other kind of elemental.

But if I can just break the gem in a torch I'm totally fine with that for this scenario. Although come to think of it I'll probably spread a pool of oil in a dramatic place and summon it there anyway, so that it looks cooler.

I'm really looking forward to writing up this fight. Sometimes it's fun to play a dumb quasi-Barbarian being recklessly aggressive!

da newt
2020-12-11, 08:09 PM
In 4 minutes the folks in the chapel can get pretty far and with heavy rain it should be pretty easy to escape detection. Does anything prohibit playing hide and seek as a viable option to combat?

Remaining unlocated / undetected for 7 minutes total with 4 minutes before the bad guy even gets to the chapel should be quite doable.

If we know the bad guys are approaching from the West, we can hoof it East ... a tactical maneuver away from the enemy may be the easy answer.

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 08:11 PM
I'm really looking forward to writing up this fight. Sometimes it's fun to play a dumb quasi-Barbarian being recklessly aggressive!

Thank you, it's great to see the enthusiasm.

I think I'll have to finish tomorrow, building a Cleric isn't something I should do with the killer headache I have right now. But the good news is I'll have the plan of the chapel ready by then.

In 4 minutes the folks in the chapel can get pretty far and with heavy rain it should be pretty easy to escape detection. Does anything prohibit playing hide and seek as a viable option to combat?

Well the BBEG's army is coming later too, and they have their own way of tracking people. Plus the rain makes it pretty hard to navigate.

But sure, hide-and-seek may be a viable option.

Remaining unlocated / undetected for 7 minutes total with 4 minutes before the bad even gets to the chapel should be quite doable.

If the PCs miss the escape window, they'll have to escape the boss + the troopers who will now have the time to arrive + the scouts + the tracking dogs + etc for hours if not days.

It's a risk to take.

If we know the bad guys are approaching from the West, we can hoof it East ... a tactical maneuver away from the enemy may be the easy answer.

The PCs don't have this information. All they know is there is troops approaching in an effort to surround them.

someguy
2020-12-11, 08:12 PM
How many others are at the chapel? What makes us want to wait at the chapel vs just running into the woods or rope trick until the spell is done? It sounds like the spell is being cast by someone on the other side, are we worried about him dispelling the permanent circle or something?

Probably will go with a Rock Gnome Chronurgy Wizard with an int ASI. Nothing geared towards the challenge specially. Will think about magic item. How long ago did He leave to meet the team? If less than an hour he would have a tiny hut in arcane abeyance.

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 08:22 PM
How many others are at the chapel?

The three I described.

What makes us want to wait at the chapel vs just running into the woods or rope trick until the spell is done?

Survival is survival, if you think there is a better way than fighting go for it.

It sounds like the spell is being cast by someone on the other side, are we worried about him dispelling the permanent circle or something?

It's a possibility.

How long ago did He leave to meet the team? If less than an hour he would have a tiny hut in arcane abeyance.

Definitively more than an hour, it took more than an hour to go from where the PC met the team to the chapel.

someguy
2020-12-11, 09:03 PM
What does the teleportation circle look like?

Unoriginal
2020-12-11, 09:09 PM
What does the teleportation circle look like?

Two engraved concentric circles with mystic sigils between the two. Why?

someguy
2020-12-11, 10:01 PM
My plan is to hide, confuse and distract to buy time. The only weak point I see is the possibility of dispelling the teleportation circle so I’m thinking of ways to prevent that. Some of my ideas depend on how it looks.

ff7hero
2020-12-11, 10:41 PM
Would drenching the chapel in oil and lighting it up damage the circle?

MaxWilson
2020-12-11, 11:12 PM
So, while we're waiting for details about the bad guy, I did a fight against a Boneclaw as the bad guy, just for fun.

Round #1 was a surprise round because the Boneclaw was stealthy. Of the four skeletons left on guard at the entrance, it grabbed and eviscerated one with its huge 15' reach (took two hits to kill it), then faded back into the darkness with its bonus action.

Round #2 when it attacked, it killed a second skeleton (missed with its second attack), then again faded back into the darkness, but biffed it (2 on stealth, +7 for skill, means it got spotted). Skeletons shot it up pretty good and hit three times for 10/2=5, 9/2=4, and 13/2=6 points of damage. (Would have hit more but the extra +2 AC from partial cover (other skeletons) helped the Boneclaw barely avoid 4 hits.) Jester threw a thunder boomerang for 15 points total damage but failed to stun it, and hit also with an arrow for 19/2=9 points of damage, the Dark Maw Raged and Recklessly rushed after it and got caught by its huge claws for 17/2=8 points of damage, but hit the claw for 13 points of damage. Cleric attempted to Spiritual Weapon + Sacred Flame it but missed with both. At this point it had achieved its objective of drawing them out of the chapel and was getting ready to eviscerate them (Shadow Jump next round, taking The Dark Maw with it), but then out came Dashing a Fire Elemental, which just happens to created a brightly-lit area for 30' around it, and it... set the Boneclaw on fire for 3 HP.

Round #3, Boneclaw took 9 more HP for being on fire, and concluded that its best and most rational action was to release the grapple so it could move its full 40', get out of the brightly-lit radius, and Shadow Jump away + hide briefly until they spread out again (e.g. get the Jester when he tried to pick up his boomerang again). Unfortunately he lost initiative pretty badly, and the Fire Elemental was able to do 15 more fire damage to it, hit it with an opportunity attack for 9 more fire damage, and keep close enough to stay brightly-lit. The Dark Maw hit Recklessly with his magic Double-Bladed Scimitar +1 for 10 more damage (plus 5 psychic damage from Psionic Strike) and again for 9 damage. The Fey Wanderer landed a Spike Growth directly on it to create difficult terrain and prevent it from escaping. The cleric failed to land a Sacred Flame but did at least move Spiritual Hammer closer to the Boneclaw, close enough to potentially attack it next round. Since he couldn't Shadow Jump away (couldn't get away from Fire Elemental due to initiative) the Boneclaw wound up attacking The Dark Maw some more, hitting for 23/2=11 HP of damage, and missing once. Skeletons hit once for 6/2=3 more HP. At this point the Boneclaw was down 110 HP out of 126.

Round #4, Boneclaw took 6 more HP for being on fire, then the Jester won initiative and shot it for 20/2=10 HP of damage plus 3 HP of psychic damage.

And then it was dead.

Things could have gone a LOT worse for The Dark Maw if not for the fire elemental Dashing into range to create bright light. As it was, the PCs don't even realize how close it was--it's not until after that they recognize the insignia on the Boneclaw's uniform and realize it's actually Lord High Mucky-muck. Hello, recurring villain! It's more than possible that they'll underestimate this Boneclaw next time they hear rumors about him, but he won't underestimate them again.

Bovine Colonel
2020-12-12, 12:41 AM
2 more questions: does the chapel door open inward or out, and what's the break DC on it?

Edit: also, what's the floor made of?

qube
2020-12-12, 04:50 AM
I made 2

Alpha
Rage against the machine
shifter (Beasthide, Tasha stat variant), zealot barbarian 6

STR 16 DEX 14 CON 19 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 8

hp 71 AC 18 [to 22] (dex, con , shield) (reaction: +3 AC)
bonus action (1/short): shift: 1d6+10 temp hp, +1 AC,
danger sense

attack: +6/+6 : 1d8+3+2 (+1d6+3 radiant 1/turn)
rage (4/day), reckless attack

Athletics Animal Handling Intimidation Insignt Perception (Darkvision)
spd: 40ft

Defensive dualist, Amulet of health

4 mastives with armor (AC 12+dex=14)

Omega
The flesh is weak
warforged (Tasha stat variant), conquest paladin 6, Izzet background

STR 16 DEX 13 CON 19 INT 8 WIS 10 CHA 16
(saves: +3)

hp 64 AC 21 [to 26] (18 plate, 2 shield, 1 racial) (reaction: +3 AC)
Lay on hands 30, shield of faith (AC+2, concentration)

attack: +6/+6 : 1d8+3 + smite ; bonus action: spiritual weapon +6: 1d8+3 force
channel diviviny: +10 to attack
protection fighting style

spells (4/2)
1. Armor of Agathys, Command, Shield of faith, chaos bolt, create or destroy water, unseen servant
2. Hold Person, Spiritual Weapon, Heat metal, rope trick

Arcana Athletics Investigation Perception Persuasion
Defensive dualist, Amulet of health

ATHATH
2020-12-12, 05:39 AM
Do our allies need us there at the chapel to help us rescue them, or can we just cast an illusion over the circle and bail using a Moon Druid Wild Shaped into something fast (Longstrider can help) and large enough to carry the rest of the party?

What spells do our partymates have prepared? Also, it looks like you didn't finish the Cleric's stat block...

shipiaozi
2020-12-12, 05:44 AM
Variant Human Forge Cleric 1/Chronurgy Wizard 5
STR 19(8, glove), DEX 10, CON 16(15+1), WIS* 13, INT 14, CHA* 13(12+1)
HP=46, AC=20, init=2+d8
Traits: Arcane Recovery(3 level, used), chornal shift(2/2), Blessing of the Forge(used on [Wait for update])
Feat: War caster, Lucky

Spell: Wizard Spell +5/DC13, Cleric spell+4/DC12, only list spell prepared here
4+:Booming Blade, Green-Flame Blade, Mage Hand, Fire Bolt, Cleric-Guidance, Cleric-Light, Cleric-Mending
1/4: Gift of Alacrity, Shield, Absorb Element, Cleric-Bless, Healing word, identify, searing smite
3/3: Dragon's breadth, Hold Person
3/3: CounterSpell, Fireball

At-will attack: Green-Flame Blade with Staff: +7, 1d6+4+1d8/1d8+2

Item: Gauntlets of Ogre Power, Plate, Shield with Holy Symbol, Staff, Healing Potion*2
Cohort: Familar(Owl)

Aaron Underhand
2020-12-12, 06:08 AM
I believe an Order of Scribes wizard can trivialise this with a single (free) casting of Leomunds Tiny Hut.....

I started a design for an order cleric 1, scribes wizard 5 and realised this....

kazaryu
2020-12-12, 07:52 AM
I believe an Order of Scribes wizard can trivialise this with a single (free) casting of Leomunds Tiny Hut.....

I started a design for an order cleric 1, scribes wizard 5 and realised this....

assuming the lieutenant doesn't have access to 'dispel magic' sure.

for the OP, im assuming the spell lists will be chosen by you and are covered by the WIP?

also: TELEKINETIC MOVEMENT DOESN"T HAVE ANY ROLLS INVOLVED?!?! like...what am i missing that prevents me from just...constantly yo-yoing the lieutenant around? (obviously psi dice quantity notwithstanding). because that sounds hella OP if there's literally no save or anything.

Azuresun
2020-12-12, 08:20 AM
Round #1 was a surprise round because the Boneclaw was stealthy. Of the four skeletons left on guard at the entrance, it grabbed and eviscerated one with its huge 15' reach (took two hits to kill it), then faded back into the darkness with its bonus action.

How do you eviscerate a skeleton, exactly? :smalltongue:

Unoriginal
2020-12-12, 08:25 AM
Would drenching the chapel in oil and lighting it up damage the circle?

Depends on if there's enough fire to destroy the roof/the walls.

2 more questions: does the chapel door open inward or out, and what's the break DC on it?

Outward, and let's say DC 12. They're very old and water-damaged.

Edit: also, what's the floor made of?

Stone slabs

Do our allies need us there at the chapel to help us rescue them, or can we just cast an illusion over the circle and bail using a Moon Druid Wild Shaped into something fast (Longstrider can help) and large enough to carry the rest of the party?

If you're not at the chapel when the allies show up they'll just teleport back using ritual cast Teleportation Circle, while you'll have the boss + the army pursuing you.

What spells do our partymates have prepared? Also, it looks like you didn't finish the Cleric's stat block...

Working on it.

May I pre-casted 8 hour buff and inspiring leader?

8 hour buff, yes, Inspiring Leader no. Wouldn't have the occasion to do it before receiving the warning.

da newt
2020-12-12, 09:22 AM
"The lieutenant will be at the chapel in what is estimated 4 to 6 minutes, and Xanthous Heysel, the only person currently at HQ who can cast Teleportation Circle, will need 7 minutes to finish the rest she needs to recover the energy to cast it and to cast it proper, bringing enough allies to the fight to rescue you."

Is the objective to survive until the teleportation circle can be used so that we can be teleported away to safety (we need to be at the circle)?

OR will enough allies be teleported to the chapel to defeat the BOSS and we can travel away conventionally (in the cover of night / heavy rain) before the troops arrive?

Is the ground outside the chapel soil so that MOLD EARTH could be used to create earthen fortifications, pits, moats, etc?

Unoriginal
2020-12-12, 09:26 AM
OR will enough allies be teleported to the chapel to defeat the BOSS and we can travel away conventionally (in the cover of night / heavy rain) before the troops arrive?

Mostly this one, though the plan is more to ritual-cast Teleportation Circle once the boss is dead/driven off.

Is the ground outside the chapel soil so that MOLD EARTH could be used to create earthen fortifications, pits, moats, etc?

The ground is indeed soil. It is currently pretty muddy due to the heavy rain.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-12, 09:30 AM
8 hour buff, yes, Inspiring Leader no. Wouldn't have the occasion to do it before receiving the warning.

I'd like to point that as Inspiring Leader doesn't have a duration, the THP last until the end of the next long rest, unless depleted first. You can use it at the start of the day, and renew it after short rests if needed.

Unoriginal
2020-12-12, 09:42 AM
I'd like to point that as Inspiring Leader doesn't have a duration, the THP last until the end of the next long rest, unless depleted first. You can use it at the start of the day, and renew it after short rests if needed.

You mean the Inspiring Leader PC spending 10 mins giving themselves a pep talk in the morning? This I would allow. But they didn't have the time to do that with the other characters.

da newt
2020-12-12, 02:11 PM
Assuming the DM rules heavy rain + darkness = heavy obscured (creatures effectively suffer the blinded condition), and that heavy rain is loud enough to drown out the noises of movement and wash away tracks (physical or scent), then the party ought to leave the chapel and hide outside. Unless the BOSS has a preternatural ability to locate people, it will be nearly impossible for him to locate them. Wait for msg from the reinforcements ...

Assuming the party must remain in the chapel and fight the BOSS, I'd prefer a shepherd druid and rely on hiding as best we can in the chapel hoping for a surprise round, using our time to create cover, using bear spirit and conjure animals in the hopes of swamping the BOSS (currently unknown) with superior action economy.

I'd also MOLD EARTH pits/pools and berms and pile up earth over every entrance to the chapel.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-12, 04:36 PM
Assuming the DM rules heavy rain + darkness = heavy obscured (creatures effectively suffer the blinded condition), and that heavy rain is loud enough to drown out the noises of movement and wash away tracks (physical or scent), then the party ought to leave the chapel and hide outside. Unless the BOSS has a preternatural ability to locate people, it will be nearly impossible for him to locate them. Wait for msg from the reinforcements ...

Problem with any strategy based on avoiding engagement is that you don't want the boss to have nothing better to do than to examine (and mess with) the teleportation circle.

da newt
2020-12-12, 06:12 PM
Fair point - rug over transportation circle.

noob
2020-12-12, 07:21 PM
Fair point - rug over transportation circle.

The BBEG was not willing to take hostages so they might also go and steal the rug since the bbeg have a murderhobo mentality.

Unoriginal
2020-12-12, 09:28 PM
Updated OP with the spells, equipment and basic tactics for the three allies. Will finish their statsblock for quality-of-life concerns tomorrow, alongside the reveal of the boss.

Thanks for your patience.

kazaryu
2020-12-13, 04:28 AM
were i to source the equipment, would it be possible to convince the NPCS (in particular yondel) to use a different primary weapon? specifically a polearm?

qube
2020-12-13, 04:56 AM
were i to source the equipment, would it be possible to convince the NPCS (in particular yondel) to use a different primary weapon? specifically a polearm?I don't know about the first part

but do note Yondel is a halfing (all polearms are heavy) without proficiency in martial weapons.
Attacking non-adjacent enemies with secret flame does more damage (1d10+2(7.5) vs 2d8(9) ), a much higher success rate (+2 with disadvantage vs Dex DC 14 dex save), and has a superiour damage type (non-magic physical vs radiant)

Unoriginal
2020-12-13, 05:20 AM
were i to source the equipment, would it be possible to convince the NPCS (in particular yondel) to use a different primary weapon? specifically a polearm?

Well it's possible, but it would have to be better than when they currently use.

A polearm is unlikely to be that, with this crew. Especially Yondel, who as qube noted is an halfling and also uses a magic shield.

Galithar
2020-12-13, 09:44 AM
So I've been lurking here for awhile and I have a submission.

I don't have a full character write up, but a Bugbear Way of the Astral Self Monk with the Crusher feat is the character I would bring in.

I would have the Ranger not cast Cordon of Arrows outside the door, but instead use the slot to cast Spike Growth inside the Chapel, but only after we have barred the door to the best of our ability, making it have the DC 12 check to break down as stated in one of your posts. We would place torches around the room to ensure that the entire room is in bright light. These torches would be of the continual flame variety, purchased with funds. The spell costs 50 gp to cast, and I would need at least 4 to fill the entire room with bright light.

The Cleric will be asked to stand in the middle of the Spike Growth (cast with him there as to not have to move through the area) The Ranger will be behind the Alter and off to one side. While my character and the the Dark Maw will be waiting to either side of the room immediately behind the Spike Growth. The Dark Maw will be asked to wait to engage the enemy in melee until given the command, and to use dual wielded hand axes* to engage from a position behind the Spike Growth. If and when the Cleric becomes threatened by the BOSS, the Dark Maw will be asked to use his 1 free use of Telekinetic movement to move the Cleric to behind the Spike growth (up above it, back, then down to avoid all damage).

My table would rule that initiative would be rolled at the point there is an attempt to break down the door. Assuming a success on first attempt due to the relatively low DC and assumed high strength of the BOSS I'm assuming the actual combat will start with an initiative roll while the doors are open.

Strategy after that point will be situational and alternatives are constantly being judged as the situation unfolds.

*8 Hand axes provided from funds, starts with two drawn, throws both, draws one. Next turn draws another and throws both. Any subsequent turns he is out of melee he will throw a single axe.

Bovine Colonel
2020-12-13, 02:06 PM
Unlike some of the other entrants my character's spells will be pretty blatantly tailored to the challenge as presented so far, but with one limitation. I'll be building Marius the Meek, a pacifist wizard who really should get out of the adventuring business. Marius will not, under any circumstances, use a weapon or damaging spell though he has no compunctions about helping others fight on his behalf.

Tentative prepared spell list (getting this in before the boss is posted):
Message, Minor Illusion, Mold Earth, Prestidigitation
Silent Image, Snare
Misty Step, Rope Trick, Suggestion, Web
Counterspell, Leomund's Tiny Hut, Nondetection

Not sure what the magic item will be. I'm thinking either a mizzium apparatus, bag of holding/handy haversack, or pearl of power. I'm pretty sure Marius will be Order of Scribes, but he might end up being a divination wizard.

someguy
2020-12-13, 03:39 PM
My pc is Bob, a rock gnome chronurgy wizard with an int ASI and a robe of useful items. Mage armor is precast. Proficiency in stealth.

The plan is to hide, but I’m worried the bad guy might dispel or damage the teleportation circle so we’ll also distract and confuse. I doubt we need to worry about it but I want the plan to work even if the baddy can detect magic. We only need to last one to three minutes, aka 10 to 30 rounds, so anything that can cost a few rounds is great.

First we create an arcane abeyance with major image in it and give it to familiar. Cleric casts light on the altar, Bob casts light on a rock and sticks it in middle of chapel, set up a lantern or two around the chapel. Close the door and drag the altar (assuming it is built as a table and not just one giant rock, can use levitate if needed) to block the door. Cast major image to make the teleportation circle look like normal unperturbed floor. Cast arcanists magic aura to eliminate the magical aura from the teleportation circle and major image. Use repeated casts of prestidigitation to clean the floor in a circle the middle of the chapel then make a decoy teleportation circle in red symbols that together form the necessary circle and glyphs. Cast arcanists magic aura on it to make it appear as conjuration magic. Use the iron door from the robe to reinforce the door. Place the rowboat from the robe upside down by the window we will be near as if we were hiding under it. Ranger casts cordon of arrows inside the doors of the chapel so they cover the decoy circle but not the real circle. Cast arcane lock on the door to reinforce it more. This adds 10 to the dc of breaking the door, in combination with the iron door I’d guess dc 26 or higher would be reasonable. Break the glass on all the windows. Break out one of the barred window to leave, then cast mending to fix it. Go about 90 feet north of the chapel and cast rope trick in some spot with trees or something to block line of sight. Ranger casts spike growth about 60 feet from the rope trick. Also cast unseen servant and have it hang out near the chapel to bang on things and make noises and carry a bullseye lantern it could open to attractions attention. Cast longstrider on self and ranger. Cleric casts guidance, fighter uses help action to help both the ranger and wizard hide between the spike growth and rope trick and chapel within about 50 feet of the chapel so unseen servant can move around to multiple windows and even go in a window to poke the rowboat. Then the fighter and cleric hide in the rope trick. Familiar (owl) hides nearer the chapel where it can see in the windows so we know what the baddy is up to.

From here the basic plan is wait and have the unseen servant make noises to be investigated while the rest of us stay hidden unless the baddy starts doing something that would damage one of the teleportation circles. If it does, we start by having the ranger shoot arrows at it through the windows. We can ramp up as necessary to get his attention focused on us. We can cast dancing lights at range 90 feet and have them move as if we’re running away into the spike growth. The wizard can cast flyby shocking grasp thru the familiar or message to taunt him. The familiar can also cast major image of the ranger running and firing arrows to draw the baddy’s attention and draw him away as ranger and wizard retreat into the rope trick. Hopefully even if he does damage a circle, he damages the decoy and doesn’t even consider it might be a decoy.

I really doubt the boss instructions will be specific enough to handle this plan, but I’ll do my best

kazaryu
2020-12-13, 03:41 PM
I don't know about the first part

but do note Yondel is a halfing (all polearms are heavy) without proficiency in martial weapons.
Attacking non-adjacent enemies with secret flame does more damage (1d10+2(7.5) vs 2d8(9) ), a much higher success rate (+2 with disadvantage vs Dex DC 14 dex save), and has a superiour damage type (non-magic physical vs radiant)

Well it's possible, but it would have to be better than when they currently use.

A polearm is unlikely to be that, with this crew. Especially Yondel, who as qube noted is an halfling and also uses a magic shield.

oh, shoot, i'd forgotten about that limitation on the smalls...ngl, was also not thinking about the shield being her casting focus....whoops.

qube
2020-12-13, 04:03 PM
To get to know the NPCs a bit better, I'm goign to run 'm against MaxWilson's boneclaw idea first

before the battle.

As we don't have rogues, any form of darkness would be against our advantage, so we set up torches.
We will use makeshift barricades to protect ranged characters. Alpha, will diriect his pack protect the weaker targets.

The door will be unlocked, and in fact not quite shut; but Dark Maw and my PC will be ready charge and flank whatever opens it.
Likewise, Kosrafen's cordon will hit the enemy in the choke, not at forehand, and he'll attack conservetively (only using sharpshooter if favorite foe already triggered)
Yondell will complete the choke with her spiritual weapon

Kosrafen

The boneclaw enters...

Initiative: Kosrafen [20+4=24] ; Alpha [20+2=22] ; Dark Maw [14+1=15] ; Yondel [5+2=7] ; Boneclaw [2+3=3]
(yes, those were 2 crits ... sigh)

Round 1

Boneclaw fails his dex [2+7=9] vs the cordon of arrows [127-(3/2)=126]

Kosrafen uses his storm boomerang [5+9=14], [11+9=20], and marks the target [ 126-(1,1+4=6)/2=123 ], the boneclaw easily shrugs of the stun, but still takes a bit [123-((1,1,3)/2=2)=121] of damage

Alpha howls and pounches. The boneclaw claws [13+9=21] [71-((2,2,10+4)/2=9)=62] but misses his scecond claw [5+9=14] (a bone claw is large, wich in 5e is 10x10. both Alpha & Dark maw start in the corner, so they don't enter its reach. it's the bone claw that moved) . Alpha misses twice [8+6=14][4+6=10].

Using Alpha's destraction, an enraged Dark Maw reclessly jumps and flourishes his magical twin schimitar in the boneclaw's back and hit trice [12,6+7=19] [19,12+7=26] [2,7+7=14] [3,10+7=17], leaving the boneclaw wounded [121- (2,3+6=11) + (1,3+6 = 10) + (3,4+6 = 13) = 87]

Youndel [14+?] recognized the boneclaw as an undead, she casts spiritual weapon as planned ; but from Kosrafen's cordon; she recongizes that non-magical weapons will have lesser effect; so she decides to cast it as 3rd level spell.
[20+6=crit] The spectral scythe [87-(2,3,2,3+3 = 13)=74] leaves a bloody cut crossing the undead's throat).

The boneclaw screams in pain and lashes out to the one who hurt 'm most - Dark Maw. The first blow glances of his armor[8,5+8 =16], the second [13,16+8=24] breaks through Dark Mawss nonmagical and magical defenses [ 61-((8,8,7+4)-(3+2)=22)/2 = 50]
The boneclaw gets nicked by a second cordon arrow [3+7=10][74-(5/2=2)=72]

Round 2

Kosrafen draws 2 more arrows [13+9=22] and striks the boney exterior [72-((7,2+4)/2=6)=66], but missed the shot aimed for the eyes [2+9-5=6]. He curses that his arrows are of lesser effect.

Alpha releases another howl as he shifts into something more feral [5+10=15 temp hp]. He goes for the throat with blinding strikes [19,1+6=25] [66-((7+5)/2=6)-(5+3=8)=52] [15,1+6=21] [52-((5+5)/2=5)=47]and makes the thing bleed hard.

Dark maw winces in pain and florishes in a controlled dance-like kata, drawing some more blood [19+7=26] [47-(1,2+6=9)=38][2+7=9]

Youndel focusses on the spectral scythe, which again strikes true [19+6=25] [47-(3,6+3=12)=35]. She decides to preserve her spells, and calls for the radiant light from the heavens, which the boneclaw dodges [17+7=24].

Enraged by pain, the vile creature decides to scar the party's leader before his soul is released from his mortal coil, and right knocks the wind out of Alpha [2,20+8=crit] [71(15tmp) - ((6d10+3)/2=18)= 68], the raging beast is able to dodge the right hand [12,8+8=20].
The thrid cordon arrow misses its mark [14+7=21]

Round 3 (quick)

Kosrafen uses Zyphyd Strike, and while he misses that advantagious attack, his second one still hits for 7/2=3 damage
Alpha continues to attack recklessly, with 2 hits for 9/2+6 and 10/2 for 15 damage
Dark Maw wants the glory of the kill, so against Alpha's wishes he also attacks recklessly, critting. For dramatic effect, he uses his magic to enhance the power of the blow, dealing 18 damage

(TL; dr: getting critted by a monster that has a 3d10+3 attack is painful :smalleek: )
... our heros are victorious.

used resources:
Kosrafen(1st lvl, 2nd lvl spellslot)
Alpha(rage, shift) (68/71)
Dark Maw (rage, action surge, 2 psi points), 50/61
Youndel (3rd lvl spellslot)

JackPhoenix
2020-12-13, 05:06 PM
First we create an arcane abeyance with major image in it and give it to familiar.

How will you do that at level 6?

MaxWilson
2020-12-13, 05:23 PM
To get to know the NPCs a bit better, I'm goign to run 'm against MaxWilson's boneclaw idea first

before the battle.

As we don't have rogues, any form of darkness would be against our advantage, so we set up torches.
We will use makeshift barricades to protect ranged characters. Alpha, will diriect his pack protect the weaker targets.

The door will be unlocked, and in fact not quite shut; but Dark Maw and my PC will be ready charge and flank whatever opens it.
Likewise, Kosrafen's cordon will hit the enemy in the choke, not at forehand, and he'll attack conservetively (only using sharpshooter if favorite foe already triggered)
Yondell will complete the choke with her spiritual weapon

Kosrafen

The boneclaw enters...

Initiative: Kosrafen [20+4=24] ; Alpha [20+2=22] ; Dark Maw [14+1=15] ; Yondel [5+2=7] ; Boneclaw [2+3=3]
(yes, those were 2 crits ... sigh)

Round 1

Boneclaw fails his dex [2+7=9] vs the cordon of arrows [127-(3/2)=126]

Kosrafen uses his storm boomerang [5+9=14], [11+9=20], and marks the target [ 126-(1,1+4=6)/2=123 ], the boneclaw easily shrugs of the stun, but still takes a bit [123-((1,1,3)/2=2)=121] of damage

Alpha howls and pounches. The boneclaw claws [13+9=21] [71-((2,2,10+4)/2=9)=62] but misses his scecond claw [5+9=14] (a bone claw is large, wich in 5e is 10x10. both Alpha & Dark maw start in the corner, so they don't enter its reach. it's the bone claw that moved) . Alpha misses twice [8+6=14][4+6=10].

Using Alpha's destraction, an enraged Dark Maw reclessly jumps and flourishes his magical twin schimitar in the boneclaw's back and hit trice [12,6+7=19] [19,12+7=26] [2,7+7=14] [3,10+7=17], leaving the boneclaw wounded [121- (2,3+6=11) + (1,3+6 = 10) + (3,4+6 = 13) = 87]

Youndel [14+?] recognized the boneclaw as an undead, she casts spiritual weapon as planned ; but from Kosrafen's cordon; she recongizes that non-magical weapons will have lesser effect; so she decides to cast it as 3rd level spell.
[20+6=crit] The spectral scythe [87-(2,3,2,3+3 = 13)=74] leaves a bloody cut crossing the undead's throat).

The boneclaw screams in pain and lashes out to the one who hurt 'm most - Dark Maw. The first blow glances of his armor[8,5+8 =16], the second [13,16+8=24] breaks through Dark Mawss nonmagical and magical defenses [ 61-((8,8,7+4)-(3+2)=22)/2 = 50]
The boneclaw gets nicked by a second cordon arrow [3+7=10][74-(5/2=2)=72]

Round 2

Kosrafen draws 2 more arrows [13+9=22] and striks the boney exterior [72-((7,2+4)/2=6)=66], but missed the shot aimed for the eyes [2+9-5=6]. He curses that his arrows are of lesser effect.

Alpha releases another howl as he shifts into something more feral [5+10=15 temp hp]. He goes for the throat with blinding strikes [19,1+6=25] [66-((7+5)/2=6)-(5+3=8)=52] [15,1+6=21] [52-((5+5)/2=5)=47]and makes the thing bleed hard.

Dark maw winces in pain and florishes in a controlled dance-like kata, drawing some more blood [19+7=26] [47-(1,2+6=9)=38][2+7=9]

Youndel focusses on the spectral scythe, which again strikes true [19+6=25] [47-(3,6+3=12)=35]. She decides to preserve her spells, and calls for the radiant light from the heavens, which the boneclaw dodges [17+7=24].

Enraged by pain, the vile creature decides to scar the party's leader before his soul is released from his mortal coil, and right knocks the wind out of Alpha [2,20+8=crit] [71(15tmp) - ((6d10+3)/2=18)= 68], the raging beast is able to dodge the right hand [12,8+8=20].
The thrid cordon arrow misses its mark [14+7=21]

Round 3 (quick)

Kosrafen uses Zyphyd Strike, and while he misses that advantagious attack, his second one still hits for 7/2=3 damage
Alpha continues to attack recklessly, with 2 hits for 9/2+6 and 10/2 for 15 damage
Dark Maw wants the glory of the kill, so against Alpha's wishes he also attacks recklessly, critting. For dramatic effect, he uses his magic to enhance the power of the blow, dealing 18 damage

(TL; dr: getting critted by a monster that has a 3d10+3 attack is painful :smalleek: )
... our heros are victorious.

used resources:
Kosrafen(1st lvl, 2nd lvl spellslot)
Alpha(rage, shift) (68/71)
Dark Maw (rage, action surge, 2 psi points), 50/61
Youndel (3rd lvl spellslot)

FWIW, if I were playing the Boneclaw, as soon as I have someone grappled (Alpha I think, on round 1) my top priority would become dragging them into the darkness (Dashing if necessary) to Shadow Jump away with them ASAP. I am not sure but from the initial description I think this would happen on round 1, after PCs charge and trigger its reaction attack, it would then move back 20' into dim light if possible and Shadow Jump, otherwise get ready to Shadow Jump next round. (Depends on geometry.)

someguy
2020-12-13, 05:33 PM
How will you do that at level 6?
I thought that was the level 6 feature. Oh well, it’s just part of the backup plan anyway so we’ll probably be fine without it.

noob
2020-12-13, 05:39 PM
Then after everyone defeats an awesome boneclaw the bbeg is revelated to be a boring dragon?

MaxWilson
2020-12-13, 06:06 PM
Then after everyone defeats an awesome boneclaw the bbeg is revelated to be a boring dragon?

How about a boneclaw riding a shadow dragon?

Unoriginal
2020-12-13, 08:08 PM
Without further ado, gentlefolks, the boss:

Katarina

Katarina once was a tinkerer and mining engineer of some renown, as well as an outspoken opponent to Lord Dalan's rule. The latter fact, coupled with the influence she had as the manager of the country's main silver mine, resulted in her gruesome end and no less gruesome undeath. While the vampire she became harbors a deep hatred for the tyrant, she is also unsure of her true power as a fresh-from-the-grave undead and has an intense desire to vent her anger at her situation on someone, anyone, and as such has decided to accept this assignment as a test run for herself, as well as a method to both scratch that murderous itch and get invited at Dalan's castle later.

Stats: Katarina uses the Vampire statblock, with the following modifications:

-Proficiency in Nature, History, Survival, Persuasion, Insight, mason's tools and tinker's tools

-Claws of the Umber Hulk (Rare wondrous item, attunement): Katarina's arms are encased from fingers to elbows in those brown iron gauntlets, shaped like an Umber Hulk's claws. This magic item grants her a 20ft burrowing speed, with the capacity to tunnel through solid rock at a rate of 1 foot per round. They however prevent Katarina from manipulating objects.

Tactics: Katarina is as intelligent in death as she was in life, but she was never a warrior, and her combat experience is limited to some brawls, organizing guards to repel a few bandit attacks, and fending off or avoiding the occasional wild animal encountered on the road. Furthermore, she does not have the illusion of immortality most vampires acquire, the reality of her death clear in her mind. In consequences, Katarina is willing to test the limits of her offensive power but much more reserved about the limits of her defensive ones.

Katarina arrives 5 minutes after the PC received the warning, meaning there is 20 rounds for this fight to resolve

The vVampire opens the fight by burrowing under the chapel, emerging at its center (creating a 5ftx5ft wide tunnel there tunnel there, going for 15f vertically before turning to be under the window number 5) and triggering the initiative rolls. If she sees the adventurers there, her first action is to use Children of the Night to summon rat swarms, then use her movement to go down the tunnel and 10ft away from the vertical pit. At the end of the next two (or three, if necessary) adventurers' turns, she uses two Legendary Actions (three if necessary) to dig under the adventurer who is the loudest/makes the most noises, creating a 5ftx5ft, 15ft deep pit under them, resulting in their fall. Katarina then lets herself fall on them and, if she has a Legendary Action left, uses her Unarmed Strike to grapple her foe at the end of the next adventurer's turn. During her second turn, she maintains the grapple/re-attempt the grapple to drag the adventurer away from the vertical pit, and attempts to bite them, using her subsequent Legendary Actions to continue her onslaught. She repeats this tactic as long as she can.

Once her swarms arrive, she sends them either against the adventurer that seemed the less protected, hoping that the other teammates would spend time trying to help them, or against the adventurer she is not attacking who is the closest to her (hoping it will prevent them from interrupting the mauling of her current prey). In either cases she has all her swarms gang up on the same foe if the space is available, and otherwise has them attack whoever is closest to the swarm in question.

If she takes 50+ damages in one turn, or is at below 60 HPs on her turn when she can't regenerate, Katarina will retreat to heal until she is back at at least 100 HPs.

If the adventurers appear to be protected by a Leomund's Tiny Hut or any other type of barrier spell, Katarina will dig in the ground to avoid said barrier, targeting the caster in priority for her dig-under-drag-under tactic, so as to avoid that kind of surprises in the future. If she cannot reach the adventurers by digging, Katarina will proceed to use her strength, digging claws and knowledge of masonry to make the whole chapel collapse on top of them, which takes her 6 turns. She hopes that the weight of the building will be enough to kill or at least trap the adventurers once their barrier's duration runs out.

If the adventurers seem to be absent when Katarina shows up (due to illusions, Rope Trick, or not being there for real), she changes tactics: getting out of the chapel by the closest window (after breaking her way out if needed), she uses Children of the Night to summon wolves, and uses their senses of smell to track the adventurers.

If Rope Trick was used, the wolves can only point out at the space under where the invisible opening is, their track ending there. Unsure if it means they're hiding under some magical effect or if they teleported, Katarina will turn into a bat and spends 1d4 turns searching for them around the spot, finding the opening for the Rope Trick on the end of that last turn. Once inside the extradimensional space, she will attack the one she identifies as most likely to be the Rope Trick's caster, hoping to end the spell so that her wolves can assist her in the fight. If the spell does drop and everyone is left on the ground, Katarina will attempt her drag-the-enemy-underground tactic again.

The vampire will only attempt a Charm if she's not in melee range with anyone, and if the other adventurers are in no position to hit her with ranged attacks.

Here you go!

Don't hesitate to ask questions if something needs to be precised or the like.

da newt
2020-12-13, 08:36 PM
My party refuses to invite her in - we win.

Unoriginal
2020-12-13, 08:57 PM
My party refuses to invite her in - we win.

An abandoned place of worship you've spent less than an hour in is not a "residence".

Even if it was, see the "will collapse the chapel on top of the adventurers if she can't reach them" point.

MaxWilson
2020-12-13, 09:30 PM
Without further ado, gentlefolks, the boss:

Don't hesitate to ask questions if something needs to be precised or the like.

How do you expect her to enter the Rope Trick if another creature (e.g. the Halfling, size Small) is blocking the entrance?

Unoriginal
2020-12-13, 09:31 PM
How do you expect her to enter the Rope Trick if another creature (e.g. the Halfling, size Small) is blocking the entrance?

Shapechange into mist.

That or grappling.

Galithar
2020-12-14, 02:05 AM
I got lucky and won initiative out. This is going to cause some hard Nova damage battlefield control and the outcome would be different if the vampire had better initiative. Also of note I'm running in theater of the mind, not on an actual grid.

Turn 1 Ranger, realizing the advantage the enemy has with movement drops concentration on Spike Growth. It's only going to interfere with us. Throws Storm Boomerang 13+9=22 I gave the Vampire 1/2 cover for being in the hole. AC 18 hit. Nat 1 on Con save against Stun, but uses a legendary resistance to save instead. 13 damage dealt. HP of Vampire is 131. Free item interaction to draw Bow and take a shot, 9+9=18 hit. Another 12 damage halved by resistance since the bow is not magical. Vampire HP is 125.

At the end of the turn uses a Legendary action to move back down the hole, into the tunnel and back 10 feet from the vertical.

Turn 2 My Astral Monk, I move aggressively down the hole after the Vampire using 20 of my 45 feet of movement. I activate my Astral arms and Visage as a bonus action for 2 ki points. Vampire saves against my DC of 14 with a 26 against force damage. I use my action to strike (from 10 using Bugbear Reach, NOT Astral arms.) I roll an 11 and 19 on my attacks +6 is 17 and 25 for two hits. Dealing a total of 14 damage. Vampire HP is 111. I use my remaining 25 feet of movement to climb back to the top of the tunnel. Leaving me at the entrance, but not quite out yet as I have to climb.

With no clear target to tunnel under at the moment (the loudest is in the tunnel with her) the vampire chooses not to use a legendary action this turn.

Turn 3 the Cleric. Uses action to cast Spirit Guardians then moves to the top of the tunnel next to my monk and casts spiritual weapon with my 2nd third level slot in the tunnel next to the Vampire. I can't see the vampire, but can see the space next to them. I use the weapon to attack at disadvantage rolling 14 and 18. 14+6=20. Hit for another 12 damage. Vampire Health is 99.

The Vampire moves under the Cleric with a legendary action, but is 5 feet shy of making the hole. 10 feet of movement to the vertical again, 5 under the cleric 5 up. Burrow speed is 20 and cannot burrow more this turn. This triggered Spirit Guardians by getting within 15 feet of the cleric. For 21 Radiant Damage. Vampire health is 78. (I probably shouldn't have had the Vampire do this, but being alone and confident I tried to follow the tactics as best as possible. However the Vampire is now in retreat and recover mode)

I use my Astral Visage ability to talk directly to the Dark Maw and say "Stop her from digging"

Turn 4 The Dark Maw, moves into the hole with 25 feet of movement, drops one hand axes, bonus action rage, and attempts a grapple. He rolls a Nat 20 for a 26 total. The vampire has a +4 and can't possibly beat 26 with either athletics or acrobatics, I rolled 19+4 for 23. The vampire is grappled. Doesn't have extra attack. This ends his turn.

Outraged at this uses the last legendary action to strike the Dark Maw rolling a 9+9=18 which is a hit. For 5 damage reduced by half from rage resistance The Dark Maw is at 59 HP.

Turn 5 the Vampire. As an action polymorphs into a bat. I'm ruling this breaks them from the grapple for free. And flies away, speed is reduced by half from spirit guardians, meaning they only get 15 feet. This causes him to leave the Dark Maws reach, whi proceed to make an attack with the hand axe they are still holding. 14+6 is a hit. For 7 damage reduced from resistance to 3. The vampire is at 75 health.

Turn 6 The Ranger. Bonus action. Zephyr Strike. Moves down the tunnel to in front of the Dark Maw with only 10 feet to the vampire. Takes 2 longbow shots. Rolling a 12 and 13 and missing twice.

The Vampire moves 30 feet away with a legendary action. Now 40 feet from the Ranger.

My monk moves back down in the tunnel 10 feet to bottom then 35 feet after the Vampire. This leaves me 10 feet away. I use the attack action rolling 15+6 for a 21. Crusher feat moves the Vampire Bat 5 feet towards me. I attempt a grapple. I roll a 10 + 6 for 16 versus a 6+4 for 10. The vampire is again grappled. I bonus action flurry. Totals two hits. For 15 damage. The vampire has 60 health remaining.

Furious with me uses 2 legendary actions to bite me. Hits. 17 damage. I have 34 health.

The Cleric moves the spiritual weapon up but it can't get in range. Then moves themselves into the tunnel. They are 30 feet from the Vampire. The Cleric action dashes to get the spirit guardians around the vampire stopping 5 feet behind my monk.

The Dark Maw, raging, runs 30 feet up draws a second hand axe, and throws both (action and bonus action) Rolls two 17 totals 23. And uses his psionic strikes on both. 9 psychic damage and 15 physical (halved to 7) for 16 total damage. The vampire is at 44 HP.

The Ranger stays put and fires two longbow shots. Rolling 17 and 19. Two hits. Uses the 1d8 damage from Zephyr Strike. 16 physical halved to 8 and 2 force. The Vampire has 34 hitpoints.

Spirit Guardians deals 13 radiant damage to the vampire. It has 21 hitpoints left.

The vampire attempts to charm me to get me to release it. DC 17 Wisdom i fail and am charmed, releasing the vampire on my next turn.

Charmed I release the vampire on my turn.

It uses a legendary action to fly away. It's speed is halved from spirit guardians and it makes it 15 feet away.

The cleric closes the distance to be within 5 feet of the Vampire to ensure its slowed and the. The Dark Maw grapples. With advantage and the higher modifier he is likely to win out the contest. This cycle of run down grapple and make sure it starts its turn in spirit guardians is just going to repeat.

I probably could have run the Vampire better, but I was trying to follow the listed tactics. Moving to charm the cleric sooner would have been beneficial. Possibly trying to fight instead of fleeing to drop the thing preventing the fleeing. But either way, since I won initiative and interrupted the ability to use an action on Call of the Wild Children if the Night. (I guess I'm trying to rename abilities note) because she was trying to survive with her actions the action economy was very against her. I may run it again later with her being aggressive so people have to fear for their lives, but even so unless she gets support even with legendary actions the action economy is just too far against her. As long as you stop the regeneration she doesn't stand a chance.

Simply moving aggressively at the enemy wrecked its listed tactics though and I should have abandoned them on the turn my monk moved into the tunnel after her.

I also had mostly good luck with rolls the entire time. I only missed 2 attacks I think? And I won every grapple contest handily. Though my character and the Dark Maw both have proficiency AND the use of a main stat. (Wisdom for me from the Astral Arms)

kazaryu
2020-12-14, 03:34 AM
Shapechange into mist.

That or grappling.

huh, im probably not going to go through he rigamarole of actually rolling and such...after all a single playthorough of the scenario is gonna be very rolls dependent. But my plan was to make a polearm wielding sentinel. coupled with Yondels spirit guardians to reduce movement speed. basically trap the boss in one place and wail on them, with a 3 man front line it seems viable. (still does) But that was before knowing the boss' tactics/identity. so obviously i'll list that as my 'official' plan.

knowing what i know about the boss, it'd probably be best to make it a paladin for that extra spice....but that wasn't originally what i was thinking, i was gonna go something arcane (if any magic).

Galithar
2020-12-14, 03:40 AM
huh, im probably not going to go through he rigamarole of actually rolling and such...after all a single playthorough of the scenario is gonna be very rolls dependent. But my plan was to make a polearm wielding sentinel. coupled with Yondels spirit guardians to reduce movement speed. basically trap the boss in one place and wail on them, with a 3 man front line it seems viable. (still does) But that was before knowing the boss' tactics/identity. so obviously i'll list that as my 'official' plan.

knowing what i know about the boss, it'd probably be best to make it a paladin for that extra spice....but that wasn't originally what i was thinking, i was gonna go something arcane (if any magic).

I actually did the rolls, and it is rather roll dependant. I didn't have to use any strategy other than rush the ever living hell out of her, and I handily won. Good rolls contributed a lot to that. There were only 2 missed attacks the whole fight I think.

My original plan was to abuse spike growth and Spirit Guardians, but the tunneling made the spike growth useless so I dropped it. Other than that having 3 melee combatants made it rather easy. More aggression or preparation from the Vampire would have made it more difficult. Entering the combat with Children of the Night already called for example would have removed my massive action economy advantage.

qube
2020-12-14, 03:52 AM
@Unoriginal - btw: very good job on the NPCs (both allies & enemies) :D

------
Spoilered because boneclaw thing.

FWIW, if I were playing the Boneclaw, as soon as I have someone grappled (Alpha I think, on round 1) my top priority would become dragging them into the darkness (Dashing if necessary) to Shadow Jump away with them ASAP. I am not sure but from the initial description I think this would happen on round 1, after PCs charge and trigger its reaction attack, it would then move back 20' into dim light if possible and Shadow Jump, otherwise get ready to Shadow Jump next round. (Depends on geometry.)Dark Maw actually (the boneclaw attacked 'm as he used reckless attack).

Possibly - I expected combat to last much longer. (to be fair, there were a lot of crits).

Plus, I'm not sure it would have made much difference.
by moving, you take an OA (with radiant damage), to make an OA (with only 1 claw)
On the subsequent turn, Shadow Jump is a full action - giving up 2 attacks with advantage, over having a barbarian make a CON-save (with no damage on fail)
All that - and it would leave the boneclaw with the barbarian with the magical weapon adjacent to 'm

If it were to shadow jump, I think the optimal course of action would be to drag Dark Maw in the darkness (provoking only 1 OA), and then shadow jumping away without the barbarian, regrouping with the army - ending the encounter. No amount of tactical insight would having him kill or incapacitate any critter (will, maybe one of Alpha's dogs)

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 04:12 AM
At the end of the turn uses a Legendary action to move back down the hole, into the tunnel and back 10 feet from the vertical.

Turn 2 My Astral Monk, I move aggressively down the hole after the Vampire using 20 of my 45 feet of movement. I activate my Astral arms and Visage as a bonus action for 2 ki points. Vampire saves against my DC of 14 with a 26 against force damage. I use my action to strike (from 10 using Bugbear Reach, NOT Astral arms.) I roll an 11 and 19 on my attacks +6 is 17 and 25 for two hits. Dealing a total of 14 damage. Vampire HP is 111.

With you so far.

I use my remaining 25 feet of movement to climb back to the top of the tunnel. Leaving me at the entrance, but not quite out yet as I have to climb.

I apologize, I wasn't clear enough: I meant that 10ft *separated* the vampire from the pit

Like (P= pit, X= 5ftx5ft square, V= vamp)

PXXV

Since climbing costs twice the movement, you'd have to walk 10 ft to be at the bottom of the pit and then can only climb 5ft up.

With no clear target to tunnel under at the moment (the loudest is in the tunnel with her) the vampire chooses not to use a legendary action this turn.

Yeah, no.

The listed Tactics do not say "she digs toward the loudest, unless they're also in the tunnel/unless she can't dig from under them", it says she digs toward the loudest.

Even if you think that your Monk is disqualified because she can't attempt to dig under him (which I don't, even if she doesn't dig she can still get under him here, or dig toward him trough the side), she would target the loudest target that qualifies, in this case the Jester of the Hunt.

"Katarina stays immobile even though she can moves and keeps drooling" is implied nowhere in what I wrote.

Turn 3 the Cleric. Uses action to cast Spirit Guardians then moves to the top of the tunnel next to my monk and casts spiritual weapon with my 2nd third level slot in the tunnel next to the Vampire. I can't see the vampire, but can see the space next to them..

Even in your scenario Katarina is 10ft away from the tunnel entrance, after a 15ft fall. The space next to her wouldn't be visible either. With the tactics I wrote she would be 20ft further from that (unless you decides she would just walk to be under the Monk, in which cases she would be visible from the top of the pit but would also be able to attempt her grapple at the end of the halfling's turn).

The Vampire moves under the Cleric with a legendary action, but is 5 feet shy of making the hole. 10 feet of movement to the vertical again, 5 under the cleric 5 up. Burrow speed is 20 and cannot burrow more this turn. This triggered Spirit Guardians by getting within 15 feet of the cleric.

Spirit Guardian does not affect creatures through 10-to-5ft of solid stone and ground.

I probably could have run the Vampire better, but I was trying to follow the listed tactics.

None of the listed tactics include "I'll stay in place and be an easy target when I can move"

because she was trying to survive with her actions the action economy was very against her. I may run it again later with her being aggressive so people have to fear for their lives, but even so unless she gets support even with legendary actions the action economy is just too far against her.

If you don't have her use her actions to both avoid getting swarmed and stay hard to target (as I wrote), yes.

@Unoriginal - btw: very good job on the NPCs (both allies & enemies) :D

Thank you! I tried to make them both flavorful and plausible, with their personalities informing their tactics and choices.

Entering the combat with Children of the Night

That would indeed be a better tactic, but it was part of the limitations I mentioned in the OP. The in-character reason is Katarina being new at the vampire business and not realizing the unpredictable factors in the ability, as well as not having the experience to reckon the battlefield before engaging.

It does play in her favor if she needs something else than the rats, though.

kazaryu
2020-12-14, 04:22 AM

oh, hmm, just realized....with the ability to not provoke opportunity attacks from moving sentinel loses some (in fact, alot of) viability. and spirit guardians becomes even better. thats rough. but oh well. biggest sticking point is forcing her outta her tunnels, which would need my character or the barb to beat her initiative....although in the tunnel, if i can grapple her, barb can yeet me out of the tunnel. so thats one way to deal with that....in fact he could yet me up, then action surge to yeet again so that she's >30 feet from the tunnel. meaning she needs at least 2 movements to get to the tunnel regardless of her form.

Or, if we can get someone under her inside the tunnel that could just straight up block her using it. enlarge the barb? just plug the hole lmao. (this is overall probably not a good idea, as it now effectively removes someone from the combat for a round or 2 if she moves away from the tunnel, but it'd be hilarious).

Galithar
2020-12-14, 04:30 AM
With you so far.

I apologize, I wasn't clear enough: I meant that 10ft *separated* the vampire from the pit

Like (P= pit, X= 5ftx5ft square, V= vamp)

PXXV

Since climbing costs twice the movement, you'd have to walk 10 ft to be at the bottom of the pit and then can only climb 5ft up.

Yeah, no.

The listed Tactics do not say "she digs toward the loudest, unless they're also in the tunnel/unless she can't dig from under them", it says she digs toward the loudest.

Even if you think that your Monk is disqualified because she can't attempt to dig under him (which I don't, even if she doesn't dig she can still get under him here, or dig toward him trough the side), she would target the loudest target that qualifies, in this case the Jester of the Hunt.

"Katarina stays immobile even though she can moves and keeps drooling" is implied nowhere in what I wrote.

Even in your scenario Katarina is 10ft away from the tunnel entrance, after a 15ft fall. The space next to her wouldn't be visible either. With the tactics I wrote she would be 20ft further from that (unless you decides she would just walk to be under the Monk, in which cases she would be visible from the top of the pit but would also be able to attempt her grapple at the end of the halfling's turn).

Spirit Guardian does not affect creatures through 10-to-5ft of solid stone and ground.

None of the listed tactics include "I'll stay in place and be an easy target when I can move"

If you don't have her use her actions to both avoid getting swarmed and stay hard to target (as I wrote), yes.

Okay so I'm not going to go through every point, but first My monk was barely at the bottom of the tunnel attacking with reach of which he has 15 feet. Half of 25 is 10. Leaving me at the top of the tunnel but not out, as I said. Second having her continue to tunnel would have changed very little as it requires her to get close, exactly what I wanted. Third she was only 10 feet below the Cleric who was standing at the entrance to the tunnel a 15 foot radius sphere around the Cleric does indeed reach the vampire after having her move to get closer. Moving earlier to get under the Monk doesn't do anything except make things go worse for her.

EDIT: Correcting slightly for a misunderstanding. My monk moves 5 feet further down the tunnel. And uses Crusher to pull the vampire to the needed location for my scenario to play out as I said. Creating PXV instead of PXXV. My monk is left 5 feet further down as I can only climb 5 feet up instead of the 10 which had previously put me in the opening of the pit.

I could change where she moves all day, at the end the action economy is going to devastate her, especially if you win iniative as I did. If she chooses to retreat and is successful then the party simply moves back up into the chapel and awaits her. This is what she attempted, but never managed to escape.

Her tactics were to move UNDER the loudest person. If she attempted to do so to the Monk, who was certainly the loudest she would have simply been a little bit closer to the tunnel entrance and the Cleric would have gone all the way down. As she dug the tunnel deeper. Under him for little reason.

A single combatant, even of high CR vs player level, is rarely even a slight challenge.

Again with more preparation and having allies at the start of the fight Katarina may have been able to do SOMETHING. But as is she never has a wasted resource expending all of her legendary actions before her first turn. A single vampire simply isn't a credible threat by itself, especially with tactics that try to split a party up but lack the speed to get them separated. Also note that I made a mistake in the favor of the vampire as well by allowing her bite actions when she never managed to grapple someone. Her damage output simply isn't there to be a threat.

Tl;dr
The tactics are flawed in my opinion and the action economy is greatly advantageous to the party. After work I will re-run the encounter with my own tactics for the vampire and see if my party can still defeat her.

Edited to fix a few details such as the location of the Vampire after the first legendary action. I now use my feat and she would get an AoO as I pull her to me and step away,, but seeing as I am no where near down at any point assuming a max damage crit still doesn't drop me.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 04:37 AM
Okay so I'm not going to go through every point, but first My monk was barely at the bottom of the tunnel attacking with reach of which he has 15 feet. Half of 25 is 10.

My bad, I forgot your PC was the Astral Monk.

Third she was only 10 feet below the Cleric who was standing at the entrance to the tunnel a 15 foot radius sphere around the Cleric does indeed reach the vampire after having her move to get closer.

Again, Spiritual Guardians doesn't work through several feets of solid soil and stone.

Her tactics were to move UNDER the loudest person. If she attempted to do so to the Monk, who was certainly the loudest she would have simply been a little bit closer to the tunnel entrance and the Cleric would have gone all the way down. As she dug the tunnel deeper. Under him for little reason.

What.

A single combatant, even of high CR vs player level, is rarely even a slight challenge.

Especially if you give the player characters's abilities more punch than what they're allowed to by the rules.

Galithar
2020-12-14, 04:44 AM
My bad, I forgot your PC was the Astral Monk.

Again, Spiritual Guardians doesn't work through several feets of solid soil and stone.

What.

Especially if you give the player characters's abilities more punch than what they're allowed to by the rules.

Spirit Guardians goes out to 15 feet, there is a clear path through the pit. Especially since you say she would have moved under the Monk, not waited to go after the Cleric.

My monk is in the tunnel pit still. If she digs more under me it just makes a bigger pit, and reveals herself even more to the allies not in the pit by being in the pit itself. If she just moves under him and doesn't dig more that's fine too. It changes nothing. She still ends up hit by SG, still gets grappled, still has all the same things happen. Also, I misspoke the Cleric would not have gone into the tunnel if she moved under my monk.

I gave nothing more punch than it should. I simply used the abilities I had effectively and immediately saw her burrow as a threat and grappled to negate it.

Edit:I'll definitely be rerunning this combat on a grid and with more preparation from the vampire. I do think she can have a good go at the party, but entering without backup was just asking to get piled on.

2nd edit: I will give her the following additions to her tactics. She has already used Children of the Night and 3d6 wolves arrive the same turn combat starts and attempt to enter through the chapel door on their initiative. It should be easy enough for them to break down a DC 12 door, though anyone who arcane locked the door would prevent them from entering that way. I didn't and so knowing this will work will use it against myself. Katarina will also spend 3 rounds digging a few extra tunnels under the chapel before breaking in. There are now 17 rounds until reinforcements arrive. I'll post an update on how it goes with these changes. The two front conflict for the party will DEFINITELY make things more difficult.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 05:01 AM
Well at least it's true that unrelenting agression is the surest path to victory in this scenario, provided you have someone who can deliver (like a Monk).

I now also realize I didn't write the boss prefering turning into Mist to escape. A detail, but that has its importance.

A more experienced Katarina would certainly have called her allies in advance and spent some time preparing the battlefield. Or she would simply go with the "collapse the church" plan as soon as it's confirmed her fors are inside. But that's beyond the scope of this challenge.

Galithar
2020-12-14, 05:03 AM
Well at least it's true that unrelenting agression is the surest path to victory in this scenario, provided you have someone who can deliver (like a Monk).

I now also realize I didn't write the boss prefering turning into Mist to escape.

Mist would have slowed her down slightly and the Cleric could finish her off by simply walking behind her with SG active. I almost had her do this, but thought the 30 fly speed versus 20 would give her a better chance to escape and try a second assault.

And definitely any time you are up in action economy pure aggression is likely to win if they don't have tricks up their sleeve. The best trick she had was revealed as soon as initiative was rolled though. Without spellcasting as soon as I took the offensive she was going to struggle.

Also, I do think my choice of Astral Monk made things a bit easier on me. I had the ability to keep her from breaking LoS to the party with my increased movement. Without breaking LoS we knew where she was and she couldn't surprise me with a tunnel in an unexpected spot.

Edit: I played all my characters as calm professionals that didn't waver when she unexpectedly showed up in the middle of the room. If you add in the shock factor and some RP. The combat definitely could have been different.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 05:15 AM
Mist would have slowed her down slightly and the Cleric could finish her off by simply walking being her with SG active. I almost had her do this, but thought the 30 fly speed versus 20 would give her a better chance to escape and try a second assault.

And definitely any time you are up in action economy pure aggression is likely to win if they don't have tricks up their sleeve. The best trick she had was revealed as soon as initiative was rolled though. Without spellcasting as soon as I took the offensive she was going to struggle.

Also, I do think my choice of Astral Monk made things a bit easier on me. I had the ability to keep her from breaking LoS to the party with my increased movement. Without breaking LoS we knew where she was and she couldn't surprise me with a tunnel in an unexpected spot.

Edit: I played all my characters as calm professionals that didn't waver when she unexpectedly showed up in the middle of the room. If you add in the shock factor and some RP. The combat definitely could have been different.

Monks have excellent mobility, and Astral Self Monks have reach on top of that. That's pretty lethal in this scenario.

Galithar
2020-12-14, 05:18 AM
Monks have excellent mobility, and Astral Self Monks have reach on top of that. That's pretty lethal in this scenario.

Yeah especially after I doubled down on reach by adding Bugbear in the mix lol

Accidentally picked the perfect class. My intent was to abuse SG and Spike Growth along with the Crusher no save forced movement.

Take a 30 foot movement speed, cut it in half and make it go through difficult terrain? It can only move 5 feet now. (Technically 7.5, but that's not enough to move two spaces on a grid) Then each turn I can force 5 feet of no save movement if I can land a hit, and I would have up to 4 attempts to do so.

Ended up playing out differently due to the burrowing, but still highly effective.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 05:27 AM
Yeah especially after I doubled down on reach by adding Bugbear in the mix lol

Accidentally picked the perfect class. My intent was to abuse SG and Spike Growth along with the Crusher no save forced movement.

Take a 30 foot movement speed, cut it in half and make it go through difficult terrain? It can only move 5 feet now. (Technically 7.5, but that's not enough to move two spaces on a grid) Then each turn I can force 5 feet of no save movement if I can land a hit, and I would have up to 4 attempts to do so.

Ended up playing out differently due to the burrowing, but still highly effective.

The lesson is: always bring a Monk to a fistfight.

Especially against a solo boss.

Galithar
2020-12-14, 05:29 AM
The lesson is: always bring a Monk to a fistfight.

True. Without the extra movement and range to attempt pursuit I would have been alone in a tunnel with no way for my allies to support me. AKA get charmed and be the lucky one that dies last lol.

So maybe it isn't even that the tactics are flawed as I said. They were just flawed against my particular build and tactics.

This was a lot of fun by the way! Thank you for creating such a well crafted scenario. If you ever do another one I will definitely want to participate again!

Bovine Colonel
2020-12-14, 05:47 AM
My original plan was to layer traps on the entrance, but assuming the party knows that the boss is a burrowing vampire I think the plan can be adapted to fit. I'll do an actual run when I have time and a completed character sheet, but the broad strategy is:

Use Mold Earth to move a 5x5x5 block of mud into the chapel, and have the three NPCs spread it across the chapel floor. The main purpose here is just to hide the Teleportation Circle in case the party is defeated. Before the boss was revealed this was also meant to hide an inverted Magic Circle.
Leave an empty 10 ft radius space in the mud, in which Marius casts Leomund's Tiny Hut.
Inside the Tiny Hut, Marius casts an inverted Magic Circle to trap undead creatures. Obviously the party doesn't know that the boss will try to burrow under the Tiny Hut, but it seems like a reasonable assumption with Kosrafen constantly shooting the boss from within.
The party clusters tightly around Maw, who will try to Grapple and pull the boss up into the circle if possible, or at least rescue any party members at risk of falling. Yondel assists Maw with this using Guidance and readied Help actions.

If the boss can be caught in a Magic Circle, Yondel and Kosrafen can easily take her down. Maw's job is to use high Athletics checks to grapple the boss and rescue party members. I didn't decide before the reveal whether Marius was a Divination or Scribes wizard, but he can only really contribute to the combat as a Divination wizard by using portents to assist the grapple attempt. If he's a Scribes wizard he just uses Misty Step and stays out of the way.

da newt
2020-12-14, 09:12 AM
Ruling question: How does pouring rain interact with the vampires vulnerability to running water (both for the trip to the chapel, and then while digging holes - aka a low spot for all the water to run into)?

Galithar
2020-12-14, 09:15 AM
Ruling question: How does pouring rain interact with the vampires vulnerability to running water (both for the trip to the chapel, and then while digging holes - aka a low spot for all the water to run into)?

I'm not the OP but I'm going to guess the rain would have no effect. And add a reminder that I don't believe you know it's a vampire before they arrive, just in case that was relevant to your preparations.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-14, 09:30 AM
I'm at your disposal to answer your questions, so please don't hesitate to ask them. I reserve the right to not answer them if they'll betray the boss's nature and/or tactics, however. I will also finish the other PCs ASAP. Monk, Sunsoul. I'll ponder on the Magic Item, is Tasha's Magic Item suite available? I may want a particular tatoo.
This particular approach may be a bit YOLO; I may go for the stun, even considering the legendary saves on a vampire. Get back to you.

Since Spirit Guardian lasts 10 minutes, I am hoping that our grave cleric can have that up and running as the vamp emerges from the floor ... they'll probably take the Dodge action thereafter, and cast spiritual weapon as a bonus action on the first possible turn to do so.

I want the Fighter to Grapple the Vamp, I think, if I can't stun it. Still pondering. I need to keep her in the SG cloud.

Can I use point buy rather than standard array? I hate standard array.

shipiaozi
2020-12-14, 10:33 AM
Pre-casted buff
Gift of Alacrity on everyone, Forge Blessing on ranger
The team assumed enemy could broke the teleport circle so they try to defend the room, wizard and warrior stand close to door while ranger and cleric stand closer to circle, 15-25 feet away from each other.

Init Order
Wizard 26
Vampire 22
Warrior21
Swarm of Rats 20
Cleric16
Ranger10
Familiar 4

Turn 1
Wizard cast lv2 bless to all team members and move close to the Vampire
Vampire summoned 7 rat swarms, they rolled 20 in init order but arrived 4 turns later.
Warrior move closer to Vampire, four attacks all hit and deals 45 damage.
Vampire-LA: wizard fall 15 feet and get 1 damage, succeed in concentration check.
Cleric move close to Vampire and cast Spirit Guardians
Vampire-LA: attack wizard with advantage, crit, lucky => not hit.
Ranger move close to the hole, two attacks both failed to hit.
Vampire-LA: attack wizard with advantage, hit, shield=>not hit.

Turn 2
Wizard stand up, Booming Blade, not hit, ask familiar to help ranger attack Vampire.
Spirit Guardian deals 3 damage to Vampire, Vampire gains 20 life, attack wizard again, hit 1 and grabbed.
Warrior jump to pit, 5 damage from fall and OA hit, stand up, three attack =>1 crit 2 hit, 33 damage
Vampire-2LA: attack wizard, hit, lv2 shield
Cleric: Spiritual Weapon and Sacred Flame, 0 damage
Vampire-LA: attack wizard, hit, 8 damage, wizard succeed in concentration check.
Ranger: Cast Zephyr's Strike, two attacks with advantage, 1 crit to deal 33 damage.

Turn 3
Wizard booming blade, not hit, ask familiar to help ranger attack Vampire.
Vampire now have 48=>68 hp remain and decide to retreat 20 feet since receive 66 damage last turn.
Warrior attack three times, 2hit 1crit deals 34 damage.
Vampire use LA to retreat and no one can stop her, she need 6 turns to regain hp and would strike back in turn 9. To keep it simple I would assume characters use the remaining of Turn 3 and Turn 4 to move back to surface.
Turn 5-8
Swarms deals 18 damage to ranger and all get killed
Warrior recovered to full hp with Second Wind, cleric spend two lv1 slot and one lv2 slot to heal ranger 14hp(left 4 damage) and wizard 10 hp(to full)

Turn 9
Vampire appear under the wizard, 5 fall damage, two attack with advantage, both failed to hit.
Warrior rage, takes 6 damage from fall and OA, two attack with advantage deals 23 damage.
Vampire-LA: not hit
Cleric attack with weapon/SW/SG, deals 8 damage in total
Vampire-LA: hit and grabbed
Ranger attack, deals 46 damage in total.
Vampire-LA: retreat.

Turn 10
Wizard stand up, booming blade, not hit.
Vampire retreat again, come back at turn 13.

Turn 13
Cleric cast lv2 Bless
Vampire come back again, dealt 1 fall damage, immediately get a lot of prepared action attacks, so she retreat again...

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 10:58 AM
Pre-casted buff
The team assumed enemy could broke the teleport circle so they try to defend the room, wizard and warrior stand close to door while ranger and cleric stand closer to circle, 15-25 feet away from each other.

Init Order
Wizard 26
Vampire 22
Warrior21
Swarm of Rats 20
Cleric16
Ranger10
Familiar 4

Turn 1
Wizard cast lv2 bless to all team members and move close to the Vampire
Vampire summoned 7 rat swarms, they rolled 20 in init order but arrived 4 turns later.
Warrior move closer to Vampire, four attacks all hit and deals 45 damage.
Vampire-LA: wizard fall 15 feet and get 1 damage, succeed in concentration check.
Cleric move close to Vampire and cast Spirit Guardians
Vampire-LA: attack wizard with advantage, crit, lucky => not hit.
Ranger move close to the hole, two attacks both failed to hit.
Vampire-LA: attack wizard with advantage, hit, shield=>not hit.

Turn 2
Wizard stand up, Booming Blade, not hit, ask familiar to help ranger attack Vampire.
Spirit Guardian deals 3 damage to Vampire, Vampire gains 20 life, attack wizard again, hit 1 and grabbed.
Warrior jump to pit, 5 damage from fall and OA hit, stand up, three attack =>1 crit 2 hit, 33 damage
Vampire-2LA: attack wizard, hit, lv2 shield
Cleric: Spiritual Weapon and Sacred Flame, 0 damage
Vampire-LA: attack wizard, hit, 8 damage, wizard succeed in concentration check.
Ranger: Cast Zephyr's Strike, two attacks with advantage, 1 crit to deal 33 damage.

Turn 3
Wizard booming blade, not hit, ask familiar to help ranger attack Vampire.
Vampire now have 48=>68 hp remain and decide to retreat 20 feet since receive 66 damage last turn.
Warrior attack three times, 2hit 1crit deals 34 damage.
Vampire use LA to retreat and no one can stop her, she need 6 turns to regain hp and would strike back in turn 9. To keep it simple I would assume characters use the remaining of Turn 3 and Turn 4 to move back to surface.
Turn 5-8
Swarms deals 18 damage to ranger and all get killed
Warrior recovered to full hp with Second Wind, cleric spend two lv1 slot and one lv2 slot to heal ranger 14hp(left 4 damage) and wizard 10 hp(to full)

Turn 9
Vampire appear under the wizard, 5 fall damage, two attack with advantage, both failed to hit.
Warrior rage, takes 6 damage from fall and OA, two attack with advantage deals 23 damage.
Vampire-LA: not hit
Cleric attack with weapon/SW/SG, deals 8 damage in total
Vampire-LA: hit and grabbed
Ranger attack, deals 46 damage in total.
Vampire-LA: retreat.

Turn 10
Wizard stand up, booming blade, not hit.
Vampire retreat again, come back at turn 13.

Turn 13
Cleric cast lv2 Bless
Vampire come back again, dealt 1 fall damage, immediately get a lot of prepared action attacks, so she retreat again...

Turn =/= round. Vampire needs to take 50 damages in one turn to retreat, not 50 in one round.

Also seems you didn't make her use her bite.

MaxWilson
2020-12-14, 11:19 AM
Tl;dr
The tactics are flawed in my opinion and the action economy is greatly advantageous to the party. After work I will re-run the encounter with my own tactics for the vampire and see if my party can still defeat her.

Charm is where it's at.

If Charm fails due to Calm Emotions, then Action: Dodge + legendary actions: 2 attacks + 1 move is not a terrible way to go, and lets you get plenty of mileage out of regen while still grappling one PC and dragging them out of the chapel/underground/whatever. Of course you're vulnerable to counter-grappling, which can (not by RAW but at least under a reasonable DM) be countered by turning to mist, but mist is slow and also costs an action to turn into (but is invulnerable to normal weapons). It's hard to predict in advance how everything would work out, and a lot depends on what the cleric and the barbarian do with their actions.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 11:24 AM
Monk, Sunsoul. I'll ponder on the Magic Item, is Tasha's Magic Item suite available? I may want a particular tatoo.

Everything in the Tasha's is allowed.

I mean, nothing's stopping you if you want to try it out, but it's not in the spirit of the challenge.

MaxWilson
2020-12-14, 11:27 AM
I mean, nothing's stopping you if you want to try it out, but it's not in the spirit of the challenge.

Technically my 3d6-in-order guy isn't in the spirit of the challenge either, but hopefully you don't mind.

I haven't run the fight yet but I plan to do my writeup from the vampire's perspective.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 12:55 PM

Technically my 3d6-in-order guy isn't in the spirit of the challenge either, but hopefully you don't mind.

You know what, I changed my mind. Use any method you want, KorvinStarmast (so long as it's in the books).

I haven't run the fight yet but I plan to do my writeup from the vampire's perspective.

Do you want more info on her?

My original plan was to layer traps on the entrance, but assuming the party knows that the boss is a burrowing vampire

They wouldn't know that.

Pouring rain/water dripping through the ground isn't running water.

It would be possible to channel the water to create a stream of running water, though.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-14, 01:03 PM
You know what, I changed my mind. Use any method you want, KorvinStarmast (so long as it's in the books).Point buy it is, for the sake of simplicity and how my brain works. (And I have built a bunch of sun souls for various one shots, so this is kind of a thing I am already comfortable with).

MaxWilson
2020-12-14, 01:22 PM
Do you want more info on her?

For the most part it's okay, I can make up stuff about her backstory as needed. I plan to use her as a viewpoint mostly because it's her decisions (as the hit-and-run attacker) driving the scenario. The PCs have essentially created a set-piece battle, and she's the dynamic element.

There is one thing I need info on though. I think you already gave enough info to know when she would give up and retreat, but I just want to confirm: unless she takes "50+ damages in one turn, or is at below 60 HPs on her turn when she can't regenerate", she will pursue unrelenting aggression? I just want to confirm because I think that strategy is going to get her killed, and it's much more aggressive than what I would do, and yet she's described as defensive-minded: "Furthermore, she does not have the illusion of immortality most vampires acquire, the reality of her death clear in her mind. In consequences, Katarina is willing to test the limits of her offensive power but much more reserved about the limits of her defensive ones." There's a tension there and if I were running Katarina defensively I'd instead want to be at essentially full HP all the time unless an obvious opportunity presented itself, which might mean withdrawing after EVERY round of combat instead of waiting to drop from 144 to 60 HP; if I run her as described, she feels reckless, not cautious. Do you want me to lean more on the description (no illusions of immortality) or the tactics (retreat only if taking 50+ damage in one turn or below 60 HP and can't regenerate)?

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-14, 01:38 PM
You know what, I changed my mind. Use any method you want, KorvinStarmast (so long as it's in the books). I am going to build this encounter into roll20 and do a one shot with some friends, not sure how soon we can do this, with my Sun Soul monk build prefabbed for one of the players.

Would you prefer the players not know that it's a vamp up front? Or, does that meta knowledge better fit the Tac challenge you are presenting.

Unoriginal
2020-12-14, 01:40 PM
For the most part it's okay, I can make up stuff as needed. I plan to use her as a viewpoint mostly because it's her decisions (as the hit-and-run attacker) driving the scenario. The PCs have essentially created a set-piece battle, and she's the dynamic element.

I think you already gave enough info to know when she would give up and retreat, but I just want to confirm: unless she takes "50+ damages in one turn, or is at below 60 HPs on her turn when she can't regenerate", she will pursue unrelenting aggression? I just want to confirm because I think that strategy is going to get her killed, and it's much more aggressive than what I would do, and yet she's described as defensive-minded: "Furthermore, she does not have the illusion of immortality most vampires acquire, the reality of her death clear in her mind. In consequences, Katarina is willing to test the limits of her offensive power but much more reserved about the limits of her defensive ones." There's a tension there and if I were running Katarina defensively I'd instead want to be at essentially full HP all the time unless an obvious opportunity presented itself, which might mean withdrawing after EVERY round of combat instead of waiting to drop from 144 to 60 HP; if I run her as described, she feels reckless, not cautious. Do you want me to lean more on the description (no illusions of immortality) or the tactics (retreat only if taking 50+ damage in one turn or below 60 HP)?

Ah, I see where I explained it confusedly.

No, Katarina won't purse unrelenting aggression. What I tried to convey was that she was trying to keep one of the adventurers isolated and keeping herself protected, and if she could have one of her prey isolated she would do her best to destroy them with all she got, but that if she met more resistance than just her prey fighting back she'd rather bail and attack from another angle.

The 60-HPs-and-can't-Regenerate/takes 50 damages in one turn thing was meant to mean she would make a full retreat until she's got the health back if it happens.

I may have to modify the Tactics section...

I am going to build this encounter into roll20 and do a one shot with some friends, not sure how soon we can do this, with my Sun Soul monk build prefabbed for one of the players.

Whoa, I'm sincerely flattered by this. Thank you a lot!

Would you prefer the players not know that it's a vamp up front? Or, does that meta knowledge better fit the Tac challenge you are presenting.

Not knowing what the opponent will be is part of the challenge.

Worth noting that having a mud-covered creature burst through solid stone with insect-like arms doesn't especially screams "vampire", either.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-14, 01:54 PM
Whoa, I'm sincerely flattered by this. Thank you a lot!

Not knowing what the opponent will be is part of the challenge.

Worth noting that having a mud-covered creature burst through solid stone with insect-like arms doesn't especially screams "vampire", either. This looks like a fun one, and I promise to give you a full debrief. I'll take copious notes.

There are a couple of folks I liked to D&D with who I have not had a chance to play with of late. With Xmas break coming, my regular party may be taking a few weeks off (one couple has a child, for example) so I think an eclectic one shot with pregens will be a welcome offering. Will let you know.

JeffreyGator
2020-12-14, 06:43 PM
I like a build with leomunds' hut on the roof of the chapel - colored to look like a roof. Makes it harder for the vampire minions to get up there and might stay alive longer. Or a rope trick from the roof. Or either 3+ minutes away from the chapel.

And getting away using pass w/o trace.

Lore bard 6 can have all the required spells. Trickery Cleric 3 or Druid 3 or Shadow Monk 3 / Wizard 3 can have pass w/o trace and rope trick.

Not fighting the vampire and hiding does seem like the easiest answer.

With precast longstrider on everyone kiting possibilities exist but the burrowing vampire is hard to shoot and easy to stay away from. The wolf minions are harder to kite though.

We can also cast longstrider. Move away with tracks for a couple minutes, cast pass w/o trace and come back and then cast rope trick - from the roof. Maybe have a familiar outside the rope trick watching the enemy and let the ranger start shooting it and the minions when the reinforcements show up.

da newt
2020-12-15, 07:45 AM
What does our former miner do with the DIRT as she digs? (For every 5x5x5 hole you dig, you create a 5x5x5 pile of dirt)

Does she construct a tunnel so that she can walk through it - digging for a bit then gathering up all the spoils and trudging to the tunnel entrance to dump them out? How much dirt can she carry per trip in her hands?

Or does she burrow like an animal, down on all fours digging just enough to move forward and pushing the loose dirt behind her filling up her path as she travels along?

someguy
2020-12-15, 11:57 AM
My preparations are on page 2. Not sure how to link directly to them.

After a few minutes of hiding the wizard sees, using the familiars senses, some sort of muddy human like monster tunnel up through the floor leaving a giant hole in the decoy teleportation circle. He is quite worried she’ll damage the real circle without even trying and wants her out of there immediately.

The boss pops up, looks around seeing a chapel empty except an upturned rowboat and a few lights and a few arrows stuck in the ground. She’s hit by an arrow before she digs back down and up under the rowboat (2 rounds). She finds nobody and is hit by another arrow. While she was burrowing the ranger and wizard move further from the chapel so they’re about 90 feet away. When the Boss destroys the boat the owl does a flyby shocking grasp and flys back out the window. Boss burrows outside and pops up and starts summons wolves (1 round, 12 wolves) then burrows again to avoid more owl attacks. Wizard casts dancing lights just east of the boss and prepares to move them further east at a running speed. Boss waits 2 rounds for wolves to arrive. Start of round 6. The wolves are the lights and take off chasing them. The wizard is informed for the wolves by the familiar. The wizard is now worried about both sound and scent tracking. On round 7 the wizard uses a bonus action to moves the dancing lights further east then dismisses them since he’ll be out of range to move them and this it’s more confusing that way. The wizard gives the familiar instructions to wait by the chapel and if people emerge from the teleportation circle, try to get their attention and lead them to the rope trick or the boss. Then the wizard and ranger run west. The boss pops up and is full regenerated so she decides she’s not going to avoid the owl anymore, no real risk to her. She wants to get the wolves to spread out some so she calls out to them to come to her. I’m assuming they’re not really trained, but really want to do what she wants so she will have pretty good success but she can’t just yell out the command and have it happe. Roughly the wolves are 50 feet east of the chapel, the wizard and ranger are about 90 feet west and even with the south end of the chapel, the boss is near the east end of the chapel.

Start of round 8. It takes 3 round to get the wolves to her, and to send them off in four groups of 3, north, east, south, west. The wizard and ranger during this time move further south west so they’re about 150 feet from the rope trick and 90 feet from the spike growth.

Start of round 11
It takes two rounds for the west wolves to start scenting around the rope trick and howling. So the wizard casts major image of the ranger carrying a backpack full or raw meat (to enhance scent) 30 feet south of there, has it yell a flavorful version of “oh ****” and start running south loudly into the spike growth. Ranger and wizard continue moving quietly south west. The southern wolf pack hears the howls and ranger image and heads that direction. The boss heads that direction.

Start of round 13
The wizard moves tha ranger image south at a dash straight through the spike growth. The west wolf pack is dashing behind and runs right into the spike growth, going to fast to stop in one square 3 squares is enough to kill them, so moving In two is stop or death) and two die, one stops and howls. South pack sees the image ranger And starts chasing. Boss heads towards the spike growth to investigate. Other wolf packs continue to search east and south.

The wizard leads the south pack as far south as he can reach’ then around in a circle back to the spike growth. But the boss is still there and they see their dead buddies and stop before going in. The boss is pretty suspicious at this point of magical nonsense so she decides to keep this pack with her and have them search more slowly in this area. This takes about 7 rounds (120 foot radius of major image, so about 800 foot diameter for the max size circle it could run, dashing wolves move 80/round so it could be 10 rounds but let’s assume the wizard doesn’t do it perfectly.)

Start of round 20

The wizard and ranger re still 150 feet south west the rope trick being waiting for loud sounds near them. They have the major image to work with still and think there are no wolves close due to not hearing any loud howls. The boss and south pack and about 40 feet south of the rope trick and doing a slow search so as to not get tricked again. The north and east packs are heading back towards the boss having found nothing. Let’s say it will take the wolves 3 rounds of slow searching to find the rope trick then two rounds for the boss the bat form find the rope trick. This brings it to the end of round 25 before any pc would be in danger. By end of round 25 people should be through the teleportation circle and have gotten the idea they should head west. They would be locked in the chapel quite tightly due to my crazy reinforced door. But luckily the boss broke out to the north, so by next round the first person should be able to emerge through to north wall of the chapel. The owl will also head west looking to get in range of the wizard to tell him help is here. The cleric and fighter are shutting their pants seeing 9 wolves and this boss turned into a bat nearing the entry to the rope trick. The cleric precast a spiritual guardians and both the cleric and fighter ready attacks to hit the bat.

I’ll stop there, but it seems pretty likely no PCs die, and the boss may or may not escape.

Was a fun challenge. Almost all my preparation was nullified, and the door almost turned against me, that was a fun surprise. The wizard and ranger could have just outrun the wolves with longstrider, expeditious retreat and zephyr strike. So I don’t think they were in much danger if they only need to last two minutes, but it was good to keep the boss away from the rope trick.

da newt
2020-12-15, 03:06 PM
I used average damage, and always attack the most injured guy first. This is my 100% success by not fighting tactic.

After receiving the msg at time 0, my PC (goblin shepherd druid) replies, "don't bother sending folks here - we will come to you." He conjures 8 giant owls, BA Bear Spirit to give everyone 11 temp hp, so the owls are 25 hp + 11 temp hp. He instructs 4 owls to remain in the chapel to attack who ever shows, then he and the 3 others mount the other 4 giant owls and fly up into the night (heavily obscured) to head towards HQ.

Five minutes later a very wet and very muddy/dirty vampire burrows into the chapel and finds 4 giant owls flying about - roll initiative: Vampire then owls.

Vampire can't reach the flying owls for an attack without climbing the walls and jumping on an owl to attempt a grapple or strike and then fall, it also can't charm the owls, so it summons 4 swarms of bats who will arrive in 2 rounds, it digs back into the floor to avoid being attacked. The owls ready an attack and continue to fly around the chapel. The vampire has a legendary action at end of owl's turn, it can bite, strike, or move - none of these options do it any good.

Round 2 vampire burrows up again, sees flying owls out of it's attack range so it readies a bite attack. First owl swoops down to attack - misses, vampire bites while it is in range - hit, 17 damage, 3 more owl attacks - miss, hit, hit, 16 damage (count as magical due to shepherd druid). Vampire legendary action - useless.

Round 3 vampire heals, nothing in range, readies bite, frustrated. Owls attack - miss, hit, miss, crit for 23 damage, vampire bites for 17 damage (one owl is down to 2 hp).

Round 4 bats arrive, initiative after owls. Vampire heals 20 hp, so 3 short of full health. Very angry, ready action to grapple this time. Owls attack - hit, miss, hit, hit - 24 damage. Vampire grapples one owl (the injured one). legendary action - bite, kills one owl. Bats all gang up on one owl - hit, miss, hit, hit, 15 damage. Legendary action - useless.

Round 5 vampire heals 20 hp, down 7, readies grapple again. 2 owls attack vampire - miss, hit - 8 damage, vampire grapples but fails, 1 owl attacks bats on it - hit, 8 damage. Legendary can't do anything. Bats attack - hit, miss, hit, hit - 15 damage (owl is down to 6 hp). Legendary can't do a damn thing.

Round 6 vampire heals 20 hp and is back to full health, readies grapple one more time. 2 owls attack - miss, hit, 8 damage. Vamp grapples and fails (by 1). Owl attacks bats - hit 8 damage (one swarm down to 4 hp). Legendary can't do anything. Bats attack - miss, hit, miss, crit - one dead owl. Legendary can't do anything.

etc - after a few more rounds all the owls are killed, many bats make it, and the vampire is just fine.

The party is flying through the rainy night, their passage completely obscured, and the owls last for an hour per casting, so 3 hours of flying if needed.

da newt
2020-12-15, 03:11 PM
Someguy - BTW, outside is heavily obscured so everyone out in the rain is BLIND. As for how heavy rain effects scent and hearing, that's a DM's call, but I'd suggest wolves keen hearing and scent (ADV) would cancel out the DISADV of pouring rain.

MaxWilson
2020-12-15, 03:39 PM
Someguy - BTW, outside is heavily obscured so everyone out in the rain is BLIND.

Heavy obscurement works the other way around: everybody is effectively blind w/rt to things in the rain, but people in the rain can still see people in the chapel. See PHB errata:

Vision and Light (p. 183). The second sentence of the third paragraph has been changed to “A creature effectively suffers from the blinded condition (see appendix A) when trying to see something in that area.”

da newt
2020-12-15, 05:47 PM
Max - are you suggesting that it is RAW for a person 20' within a fog cloud or pouring rain to not be able to see their own feet, but they can clearly see anyone/anything out side the AoE of the fog cloud or rain?

No offence meant to you personally, but that has to be the stupidest ruling I've ever seen. It makes fog cloud an OP spell that I can hide in, range attack people outside it with ADV, while they cannot target me with spells requiring sight or DISADV for ranged attacks ...

That's just wrong. Heavily obscured = opaque.

someguy
2020-12-15, 05:54 PM
I play the rain as if you are blind to things more than 10-15 feet away, and have poor vision for things closer than that. I also make an exception for things that give off their own light, eg a lantern, dancing lights or the chapel with multiple light sources in it. In that case you can see the general shape estimate distance. In this scenario I relied on being able to see the chapel to do relative navigation. Everything else worked either by using the familiar, or relying on sound and smell. Eg the wizard herd the howling wolves, cast major image roughly between spike growth and the rope trick. Since he’s just trying to get the wolves attention I figure it works fine if he’s within 20 feet of his goal.

MaxWilson
2020-12-15, 05:59 PM
Max - are you suggesting that it is RAW for a person 20' within a fog cloud or pouring rain to not be able to see their own feet, but they can clearly see anyone/anything out side the AoE of the fog cloud or rain?

No offence meant to you personally, but that has to be the stupidest ruling I've ever seen. It makes fog cloud an OP spell that I can hide in, range attack people outside it with ADV, while they cannot target me with spells requiring sight or DISADV for ranged attacks ...

That's just wrong. Heavily obscured = opaque.

Yes I am.

It's not stupider than RAW was before the errata. At least now people in darkness can see things that are in light, instead of only vice versa.

The crucial mistake the 5E designers made was in lumping darkness and fog into the same category.

noob
2020-12-16, 06:37 AM
I used average damage, and always attack the most injured guy first. This is my 100% success by not fighting tactic.

After receiving the msg at time 0, my PC (goblin shepherd druid) replies, "don't bother sending folks here - we will come to you." He conjures 8 giant owls, BA Bear Spirit to give everyone 11 temp hp, so the owls are 25 hp + 11 temp hp. He instructs 4 owls to remain in the chapel to attack who ever shows, then he and the 3 others mount the other 4 giant owls and fly up into the night (heavily obscured) to head towards HQ.

Five minutes later a very wet and very muddy/dirty vampire burrows into the chapel and finds 4 giant owls flying about - roll initiative: Vampire then owls.

Vampire can't reach the flying owls for an attack without climbing the walls and jumping on an owl to attempt a grapple or strike and then fall, it also can't charm the owls, so it summons 4 swarms of bats who will arrive in 2 rounds, it digs back into the floor to avoid being attacked. The owls ready an attack and continue to fly around the chapel. The vampire has a legendary action at end of owl's turn, it can bite, strike, or move - none of these options do it any good.

Round 2 vampire burrows up again, sees flying owls out of it's attack range so it readies a bite attack. First owl swoops down to attack - misses, vampire bites while it is in range - hit, 17 damage, 3 more owl attacks - miss, hit, hit, 16 damage (count as magical due to shepherd druid). Vampire legendary action - useless.

Round 3 vampire heals, nothing in range, readies bite, frustrated. Owls attack - miss, hit, miss, crit for 23 damage, vampire bites for 17 damage (one owl is down to 2 hp).

Round 4 bats arrive, initiative after owls. Vampire heals 20 hp, so 3 short of full health. Very angry, ready action to grapple this time. Owls attack - hit, miss, hit, hit - 24 damage. Vampire grapples one owl (the injured one). legendary action - bite, kills one owl. Bats all gang up on one owl - hit, miss, hit, hit, 15 damage. Legendary action - useless.

Round 5 vampire heals 20 hp, down 7, readies grapple again. 2 owls attack vampire - miss, hit - 8 damage, vampire grapples but fails, 1 owl attacks bats on it - hit, 8 damage. Legendary can't do anything. Bats attack - hit, miss, hit, hit - 15 damage (owl is down to 6 hp). Legendary can't do a damn thing.

Round 6 vampire heals 20 hp and is back to full health, readies grapple one more time. 2 owls attack - miss, hit, 8 damage. Vamp grapples and fails (by 1). Owl attacks bats - hit 8 damage (one swarm down to 4 hp). Legendary can't do anything. Bats attack - miss, hit, miss, crit - one dead owl. Legendary can't do anything.

etc - after a few more rounds all the owls are killed, many bats make it, and the vampire is just fine.

The party is flying through the rainy night, their passage completely obscured, and the owls last for an hour per casting, so 3 hours of flying if needed.

I think that the gm picks what you summon with conjure animals so you need to be lucky enough for your gm to grant you giant owls.

da newt
2020-12-16, 09:33 AM
Noob, Yes, some GMs use that ruling for Conjure Animals (always random so it's like the spell version of the Wand of Wonder). I've never played at a table where when you attempt to conjure 8 big fliers, and the DM decides NOPE you get 8 Boar, but I've heard that some do.

mistajames
2020-12-16, 03:26 PM
My initial meta response to this was, "I'm like 90% sure that Magic Circle will punk this challenge."

Feel validated.

KorvinStarmast
2020-12-16, 03:31 PM
Noob, Yes, some GMs use that ruling for Conjure Animals (always random so it's like the spell version of the Wand of Wonder). I've never played at a table where when you attempt to conjure 8 big fliers, and the DM decides NOPE you get 8 Boar, but I've heard that some do. It's a spell that, to keep play moving, needs a little pre session between summoner and DM to pre package some summons kits so that when it gets cast, the stuff shows up and play keep moving.

This is what I have found At The Table.

The "what did we get today?" approach has only ever slowed things to a crawl. I guess that's why people bring their cell phones to the table: never know when a Druid is gonna summon another zoo ... :smallyuk:

My current Shepherd druid and I have pre arranged kits: I tell him the general kind of terrain and locale and he tells me 3-5 packages he'd like to be able to summon.

And I will always approve (1) a pair of bears or Dire Wolves and (2) a pair of Giant Eagles: that's a personal bias. I always have those beasts.

We are doing more maritine and aquatic stuff, so he has a default "a couple of giant octopi" when he hasn't got a better idea, so I always prep those as well.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 03:32 PM
My initial meta response to this was, "I'm like 90% sure that Magic Circle will punk this challenge."

Feel validated.

Could you explain how does Magic Circle do anything in that challenge, please?

Because it doesn't do anything from what I can see.

Valmark
2020-12-16, 05:58 PM
Could you explain how does Magic Circle do anything in that challenge, please?

Because it doesn't do anything from what I can see.

I think they mean that if the party takes refuge into a Magic Circle Katarina is rendered almost useless- she has no way to harm those inside the circle aside from the swarms.

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 06:05 PM
I think they mean that if the party takes refuge into a Magic Circle Katarina is rendered almost useless- she has no way to harm those inside the circle aside from the swarms.

because they're forgetting that her primary attack form is to...burrow under them and drop them into a hole. (and also that the PC's primary goal isnt to survive...but to keep the teleportation circle active

JackPhoenix
2020-12-16, 06:24 PM
because they're forgetting that her primary attack form is to...burrow under them and drop them into a hole. (and also that the PC's primary goal isnt to survive...but to keep the teleportation circle active

Not to mention the "bring the whole building down on them if she can't touch them otherwise" thing.

noob
2020-12-16, 06:31 PM
Do people like more the vampire or the boneclaw?

kaervaak
2020-12-16, 06:41 PM
How about a bag of holding bomb? If my character is an artificer and i pick a bag of holding or portable hole as my uncommon magical item, i can make a bag of holding with an infusion. Then I just give them to my steel defender or homunculus servant and poof, boss is in the ethereal plane.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 07:46 PM

Not to mention the "bring the whole building down on them if she can't touch them otherwise" thing.

Could also just break the slab where the Magic Circle is.

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 08:15 PM

Does burrowing let her cross the circle? Seems like it shouldn't.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 08:26 PM

Why shouldn't it?

The spell is rather explicit that it's only a 20ft cylinder starting at the ground.

Valmark
2020-12-16, 08:39 PM

No, but she makes tunnels to make people fall through. And a Circle's effect won't extend below ground because I believe ground gives full cover (since you can't draw an unobstructed line from the spell's origin to below ground).

Thinking about it, mistajames maybe meant keeping Katarina inside, not outside. That would negate the burrowing.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 08:43 PM
Thinking about it, mistajames maybe meant keeping Katarina inside, not outside. That would negate the burrowing.

It wouldn't.

There nothing preventing someone in the circle from escaping it vertically.

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 09:04 PM
No, but she makes tunnels to make people fall through. And a Circle's effect won't extend below ground because I believe ground gives full cover (since you can't draw an unobstructed line from the spell's origin to below ground).

It wouldn't.

straight through the top possibly, but definitely not through the floor. digging is literally a thing anyone can do, the gloves simply allow katarina to dig quickly enough to be useful for combat. If the spell allowed a trapped being to just...dig out of it, then the actual purpose of the inverted option is...nonexistent. as its purpose is to hold a creature in place long enough to bind. or imprison in some more permanent way. it can work as a trap that lets you wail on the creature, but thats not why it exists.

Also, from a pure mechanics standpoint...remember, cylinders don't have to only include the side. they can have ends. And the spell explicitly states 'preventing a creature of the specified type from leaving the cylinder'. since going up or down would leave the cylinder, there's actually nothing in the spell that implies you can ignore the endcaps of it.

that being said, if they did consider that, even then im not sure how they'd reach the conclusion that it nullifies any challenge. its not like its super easy to force a creature into the circle.

Valmark
2020-12-16, 09:06 PM
It wouldn't.

Besides the fact that cylinder-shaped AoEs are explicitely not hollow.

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 09:07 PM
that being said, if they did consider that, even then im not sure how they'd reach the conclusion that it nullifies any challenge. its not like its super easy to force a creature into the circle.

Stand near the circle.

Win one Athletics check to grapple or shove (depending on geometry) the vampire into the circle.

Bob's your uncle.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 09:14 PM
straight through the top possibly, but definitely not through the floor. digging is literally a thing anyone can do, the gloves simply allow katarina to dig quickly enough to be useful for combat. If the spell allowed a trapped being to just...dig out of it, then the actual purpose of the inverted option is...nonexistent. as its purpose is to hold a creature in place long enough to bind. or imprison in some more permanent way. it can work as a trap that lets you wail on the creature, but thats not why it exists.

Remember that Magic Circle doesn't even stop attacks. It just gives disadvantage when your target is on the other side.

Magic Circle's an heavily flawed mean of imprisonment. A smart caster has to restrain the prisoner more than that if they want to avoid escape attempts, including flying out or digging down, to say nothing of the whole "can still kill people despite the circle" thing.

Though tbf it's pretty hard for most beings to dig through stone, and Magic Circle doesn't tend to be used on sand or soil that can be dug through in a couple minutes.

Besides the fact that cylinder-shaped AoEs are explicitely not hollow.

If you put a wall spell in a cylinder shape, is the inside filled too?

Valmark
2020-12-16, 09:27 PM

I think so? At least in the case of Magic Circle I see nothing stopping a wall spell from filling it. It's not a cylindrical Anti-Magic area (and even then I'm not clear on wether it would stop a Wall Of Stone which is "nonmagical". Never had to rule it).

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 09:40 PM
Remember that Magic Circle doesn't even stop attacks. It just gives disadvantage when your target is on the other side.

Magic Circle's an heavily flawed mean of imprisonment. A smart caster has to restrain the prisoner more than that if they want to avoid escape attempts, including flying out or digging down, to say nothing of the whole "can still kill people despite the circle" thing.

Though tbf it's pretty hard for most beings to dig through stone, and Magic Circle doesn't tend to be used on sand or soil that can be dug through in a couple minutes.

i...know the cylinder doesn't stop attacks. that...has no relation on movement. the wording of the spell is that they can't 'willingly' cross the barrier. that means its not a physical barrier that only applies to certain beings. its much more similar to...like sanctuary. That being said...you didn't reply to my full argument.

they are mechanically 'prevented from exiting the cylinder' nothing in the wording of the spell implies that that only means horizontally. the spell doesn't need to explicitly state 'including vertically' because the words used already include that. going 25 feet directly up would leave the cylinder, as the cylinder ends at 20feet. Going back to the part of my argument you did reply to....this is explicitly the purpose of inverting the cylinder. not as an anti mobility combat tactic, but as a temporary prison. to have it only function as a prison against creatures that can't fly would be just silly design. So, by RaW (the mechanical argument) and by RaI (the purpose of the spell) it prevents vertical escapes.

and..i think you underestimate how easy it is to damage stone. i mean, yes, there are going to be some creatures that can't do it. but if we're talking about the main purpose of that form of the spell they have at least an hour...thats a lot of time.

Stand near the circle.

Win one Athletics check to grapple or shove (depending on geometry) the vampire into the circle.

Bob's your uncle.

yes, assuming the creature is dumb enough to come near you when your standing next to something like that..sure. Thats the problem with white room theorizing. if you're refusing to move from your spot any smart opponent is going to know there's a reason, and they won't want to approach, unless given no other choice. going rogue so you can BA dash (and have expertise) is probably a better bet as it gives you a larger range from which you can trap them. but even *that* doesn't really matter in this scenario, as Katarinas whole schtick is staying underground and forcing you to fight her there. So you'd need to get her out of her hole. which is doable, obviously. but it takes doing, its not as easy as they guy would have had to think it was, if that was what he meant by saying he felt vindicated by calling magic circle an auto win.

a false equivalency. you can have a cylinder that is hollow, just as easily as a cylinder that is full. toilet paper rolls are hollow, open ended cylinders. But canned veggies cup in close-ended cylinders. point being, 'cylindrical' doesn't imply 'open ended' any more than it implies 'close ended'.

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 10:00 PM
but as a temporary prison. to have it only function as a prison against creatures that can't fly would be just silly design

Not really, my impression is it's meant to be used in a room with a ceiling lower than 20ft.

a false equivalency. you can have a cylinder that is hollow, just as easily as a cylinder that is full. toilet paper rolls are hollow, open ended cylinders. But canned veggies cup in close-ended cylinders. point being, 'cylindrical' doesn't imply 'open ended' any more than it implies 'close ended'.

I'm glad we agree on how it does not imply "close ended" or fullness.

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 10:03 PM
Not really, my impression is it's meant to be used in a room with a ceiling lower than 20ft.

except...we don't agree. you think it implies 'open ended'. I'm saying that it implies neither open, nor closed. because...well it doesn't. and you're still ignoring the point about the actual words the spells uses

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 10:14 PM
yes, assuming the creature is dumb enough to come near you when your standing next to something like that..sure. Thats the problem with white room theorizing. if you're refusing to move from your spot any smart opponent is going to know there's a reason, and they won't want to approach, unless given no other choice.

This isn't a white room. This is a scenario where if the vampire dithers for two minutes, she fails in her mission (overwhelming reinforcements show up). That's better than dying but it's not ideal.

(Yes, I know she can Charm. That's a valid tactic (although countered by heavy obscurement) but it's not the point I was addressing, about how to get her into a circle.)

Unoriginal
2020-12-16, 10:22 PM
except...we don't agree. you think it implies 'open ended'. I'm saying that it implies neither open, nor closed. because...well it doesn't. and you're still ignoring the point about the actual words the spells uses

Look, let me ask you three questions, and then we can see if we see eyes to eyes.

1) An inverted Magic Circle meant for capturing undead is made on the flat roof of a wooden building. An undead being walks on the level underneath the roof walks until the circle's center is directly above them. Is the undead trapped?

2) Same inverted circle, same roof. An undead is trapped in it. A catapult stone lands on the building, missing the undead but creating a large hole in a section of roof that's under the circle. Can the undead go down to the lower level through the hole and escape the circle?

3) Same inverted circle, same roof, same trapped undead. The undead happens to be immune to fire. A dragon arrives and burns the building until it's a pile of ashes on the ground. Is the undead now floating in the air in the cylinder created by the Magic Circle spell?

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 10:27 PM
Look, let me ask you three questions, and then we can see if we see eyes to eyes.

1) An inverted Magic Circle meant for capturing undead is made on the flat roof of a wooden building. An undead being walks on the level underneath the roof walks until the circle's center is directly above them. Is the undead trapped?

2) Same inverted circle, same roof. An undead is trapped in it. A catapult stone lands on the building, missing the undead but creating a large hole in a section of roof that's under the circle. Can the undead go down to the lower level through the hole and escape the circle?

3) Same inverted circle, same roof, same trapped undead. The undead happens to be immune to fire. A dragon arrives and burns the building until it's a pile of ashes on the ground. Is the undead now floating in the air in the cylinder created by the Magic Circle spell?

This wasn't addressed to me but responding anyway:

(1) No. It isn't within the cylinder's volume yet.

(2) No. It can't willingly leave the cylinder.

(3) Only if it can fly/levitate/whatever. Otherwise it falls out of the cylinder due to the dragon's actions. It can't exit "willingly" but if it has no way to fly then involuntary exit cannot be avoided.

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 10:42 PM
This isn't a white room. This is a scenario where if the vampire dithers for two minutes, she fails in her mission (overwhelming reinforcements show up). That's better than dying but it's not ideal.

(Yes, I know she can Charm. That's a valid tactic (although countered by heavy obscurement) but it's not the point I was addressing, about how to get her into a circle.) that was my point, this isn't a white room. where such a tactic is likely to work. doing exactly that, ignores her primary tactic.

1) An inverted Magic Circle meant for capturing undead is made on the flat roof of a wooden building. An undead being walks on the level underneath the roof walks until the circle's center is directly above them. Is the undead trapped? no...because its not inside the circle.

not willingly. so it kinda depends on how big the hole is. if it completely removed the floor under the circle well... gravity trumps 'willingness'. it'dd fall through, as i said, the spell heavily implies the barrier isn't a physical one. hence, 'willingness' and also hence ;'doesn't prevent attacking'. But if its a hole thats smaller than the circle, and since the boulder missed the undead the undead must still be on level ground above the hole yes? and since they can't 'willingly' leave the cylinder they can't go through the hole.

3) Same inverted circle, same roof, same trapped undead. The undead happens to be immune to fire. A dragon arrives and burns the building until it's a pile of ashes on the ground. Is the undead now floating in the air in the cylinder created by the Magic Circle spell? same...answer...im really not sure what the difference you think a wooden structure being burnt instead of smashed would make....the floor is gone, gravity works (unless its a type of undead that has a fly (hover) speed. in which case it can choose to not fall, so it would have to based on the wording of the spell.

if you're trying to argue that 'digging a hole beneath her for the purpose of escaping' is not the same as trying to 'willingly leave the cylinder' on the basis that its actually gravity that is moving her through the hole...i think you and i have a very different understanding of what 'willingness' means and implies. especially since doing that (particularly in this case) would use her movement...which is exactly what the clause prevents. nothing prevents temporarily crossing the boundry, what *is* prevented is deliberately escaping the boundary.

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 10:48 PM
that was my point, this isn't a white room. where such a tactic is likely to work. doing exactly that, ignores her primary tactic.

How so? She's got a burrow speed, but she still has to break through to the surface at some point in order to have any impact on the PCs, and when she does they get readied actions including grapples or shoves. This isn't ignoring her primary tactic--it's soft-countering it.

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 11:00 PM
How so? She's got a burrow speed, but she still has to break through to the surface at some point in order to have any impact on the PCs, and when she does they get readied actions including grapples or shoves. This isn't ignoring her primary tactic--it's soft-countering it.

sure, you can grapple her...on her turn...before she uses her action...but after she's removed the floor beneath your feet. most likely outcome? 1 of 2 things happens. either she shape shifts into mist so she can escape your grapple. Or she grapples you in turn, thus reducing your speed to 0. nullifying the primary threat of being grappled. (and also potentially giving her a bite attack on you)

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 11:06 PM
sure, you can grapple her...on her turn...before she uses her action...but after she's removed the floor beneath your feet.

How can she do that? She can't enter your space. All she can do is surface adjacent to you, leaving a hole behind her as she does.

either she shape shifts into mist so she can escape your grapple.

Oddly enough, that does not let her escape grapples: her statistics are unchanged in mist form with a key few exceptions, none of which is an immunity to grappling.

Or she grapples you in turn, thus reducing your speed to 0. nullifying the primary threat of being grappled. (and also potentially giving her a bite attack on you)

Nope, that doesn't nullify the threat, not when you're fighting a whole team of PCs instead of a 1-on-1 battle. Now she's trapped on the surface and can be grapple/shoved by other characters without needing to ready actions, so they can e.g. grapple her and drag her 15' into the cylinder, then release her (speed returns to 30'ish) and exit the cylinder.

Valmark
2020-12-16, 11:13 PM

I should probably point out that it's not "cylinder" that means it's closed. It's the description for cylinder-shaped AoEs.

"A cylinder’s point of origin is the center of a circle of a particular radius, as given in the spell description. The circle must either be on the ground or at the height of the spell effect. The energy in a cylinder expands in straight lines from the point of origin to the perimeter of the circle, forming the base of the cylinder. The spell’s effect then shoots up from the base or down from the top, to a distance equal to the height of the cylinder.A cylinder’s point of origin is included in the cylinder’s area of effect."

It explicitely forms a base for the cylinder shape by emitting magic from the center to the perimeter, covering the space in between. When it shoots up I think we can assume at the end of it there is another base.

In a Magic Circle's specific case this would block trying to dig under it or fly above it for creatures blocked by it.

kazaryu
2020-12-16, 11:34 PM
How can she do that? She can't enter your space. All she can do is surface adjacent to you, leaving a hole behind her as she does. she can do that.....by digging beneath you..she doesn't have to enter your space to dig into the space below you.[/quote]

Oddly enough, that does not let her escape grapples: her statistics are unchanged in mist form with a key few exceptions, none of which is an immunity to grappling.
and im pretty sure, exactly 0 groups would actually run it like that. maaaybe like 1/1000. because thats really dumb, and you know it. remember, not a white room.

Nope, that doesn't nullify the threat, not when you're fighting a whole team of PCs instead of a 1-on-1 battle. Now she's trapped on the surface and can be grapple/shoved by other characters without needing to ready actions, so they can e.g. grapple her and drag her 15' into the cylinder, then release her (speed returns to 30'ish) and exit the cylinder.

except as we've established (and has been established by the tactics) she isn't on surface she'd break the floor and the person immediately above her falls. and its still her turn. Im not saying that as a tactic it *can't* work. all im saying is that its no where near as reliable as you seem to think it is. in particular against this foe. In fact, your PC is the only person that can be built to reliably succeed on a grapple. Maw has proficiency but only gets one attack. so he only has a 60% chance of succeeding on the grapple. and everyone else is worse off than that. (kosrafen has a 25% chance if you can convince him to try and yondel has a 40% chance.) whereas the PC can be built to get a 96% chance of success. and yet, assuming she picks randomly there's already a 1/4 chance that she picks you...and as a result you grapple and then fall. so now you have her grappled at the bottom of the pit.

otoh, there's also a chance she guess what you're planning based on teh fact that you're standing ready next to a magic circle...and just chooses not to approach directly, or maybe she changes her tactics and digs a bit deeper beneath. or moves on to other contingencies (like charming people, which even yondel has a 55% chance of failing). not a white room.

MaxWilson
2020-12-16, 11:36 PM
she can do that.....by digging beneath you..she doesn't have to enter your space to dig into the space below you.

Agree to disagree.

Thunderous Mojo
2020-12-17, 02:03 AM

The horrifying realization is that if turning to Mist doesn't break grapples against the vampire...it also does not break any grapples the vampire has against a PC.

So once the vampire has a PC grappled, it drags the PC 15' up a wall.
PC acts as cover, and the vamps legendary actions propel it further up the wall.

Next turn, the vampire takes mist form, and the grapple is maintained.
It also has a flying speed, can hover, and drag a creature nearly anywhere because it can stop in a square with a hostile creature, and move without squeezing through any space air passes.

Plus if the PC breaks the grapple they fall.

Now I interpret this: While in mist form, the vampire can't take any actions to also include Legendary Actions...but this is subject to DM fiat.

In a building with an open aired oculus similar to the Pantheon...the mist form could, conceivable, carry someone away. I hope you have Magic Arrows...because someone just got kidnapped...and non magical kit won't hurt the mist form.

No reason, (the very cool, I might add), Katrina could not use similar tactics while burrowing a maze of tunnels under the earth. A mist form vampire could, conceivably, forcibly move someone through a grater-like apparatus.

A pocket of hard minerals, or just a medium sized sharped sieve the vampire carries can make julienne fries, out of PCs. That would be a horrible thing for reinforcements to teleport into.

Valmark
2020-12-17, 03:58 AM
Isn't the mist form immune to grappling of both kinds because it can't manipulate objects and slip through anything air passes through?

Although there's probably space for a DM to rule wether our bodies while we are a creature are objects or not for the purpose of this rule.

Darzil
2020-12-17, 07:10 AM
A toilet roll is a tube, not a cylinder. in my book.

da newt
2020-12-17, 08:44 AM
By definition a cylinder is a three dimensional solid shape - a tube is a different shape and is a hollow cylinder with open ends. By RAW the spell creates a cylinder not a tube (circular wall if that's easier to visualize). The spell states it creates a cylinder of energy.

The floor is made of stone, the BBEG can dig through 1' of stone at a rate of 1' per round. How long does it take the BBEG to dig through the floor?

What does the BBEG do with the material she digs? Where does it go? Certainly it doesn't magically disintegrate leaving a void where soil and rock used to be - it has to be moved somewhere.

If you go into your back yard with a shovel and start digging a hole/tunnel you will find you have to put every scoop of dirt/rocks somewhere.

Unless of course the magic claws of the umber hulk have the ability to disintegrate soil/rock ...

"-Claws of the Umber Hulk (Rare wondrous item, attunement): Katarina's arms are encased from fingers to elbows in those brown iron gauntlets, shaped like an Umber Hulk's claws. This magic item grants her a 20ft burrowing speed, with the capacity to tunnel through solid rock at a rate of 1 foot per round. They however prevent Katarina from manipulating objects."

The claws prohibit the wearer from manipulating objects. In order to perform a grapple you must have a free hand. Does the BBEG have to doff a claw in order to attempt a grapple (in order to have a free hand)? {also the mist form has no hands - so no grapple capability}

If the BBEG has a creature grappled, can it burrow with just one claw for digging?

BTW - Kudos for the creative scenario.

qube
2020-12-17, 09:10 AM
Since I faced the boneclaw Alpha - and I don't know if I'll have time to do two I'll first do the fight with Omega.

While it would be funny, I'm not going to assume warforged are immune to their blood being drained and such.

I come to sjuck your bloood.
Request Denied
Sjay what now?
Commencing Step 1 of 'turing it off and on again'.

The entire party is surprized when the ground in the middle of the church breaks open. Kosrafen was asked to put the Cordon of arrows inside, to forifiy the choke, and it triggers. The arrow gets broken by the exploding stone, [crit save], and the shrapnell bounces off Katarina [(2/2)/2=0 damage]

Initiative: Saint Yondel (21) Omega (16) The Dark Maw (9) Katarina (8) Kosrafen (7)

Round 1

Saint Yondel recognises the vile creature for what it really is [18+?], and notifies the party. taken back on what to do, she casts bless on Omega, Dark Maw & Kosrafen.
Omega's systems kick into action and brings down a beating. The first attack is executed with ruthless efficiency ( crit + lvl 1 smite ; 15/2 + 32 = 39) while the other simply hits, and with a lvl 1 smite deals ( 7/2 =) 3 damage ), while , He also decides to shield of faith himself,
Dark maw lunges into action - furiously & recklessly flurries the mystical vampire - he utterly shreds the vamiren ripping out crit on his first and 4th attack (I just realised his second attack isn't from extra attack, and as such his action surge only gives him one extra attack) (20+10+8 = 38 damage)
Katarina [64hp left] summons 3 rat swarms who will get here in 4 rounds, the moves back down - agilely doging an opportunity attack of Omega, and luckely escapting a grab attempt of Dark Maw, she disappears back int the pit. In fact, she has enough movement left to dig a hole under ... (who would be the loudest? a full metal, but calm, warforged, or a raging barbarian? 1d2 time). Dark Maw (taking 5/2= 2 faling damage)
Kosrafen curses that the monster disappeared before he could do anything. Omega gives the jester a meaningful stare, and he curses again "I'm not getting paid enough for this", he says as he comes tumbling from behind makeshift cover. He sees the dirtycovered vampire cover his comrad and lets loose his boomrang, cleaving the vampire in the shoulder (6/2 +8 = 11 damage), and who can barely withstand the shock it tremmors through her. He picks up his bow and makes a second attack, aiming for the head, but misses completely. Already feeling he took enough risk, he backs away from the pit.
(Legendary Action) Katrine attemps to grab the fallen barbarian, but fails to do so

Yondel: 1 lvl 1 spellslot
Omega's : 2 lvl 1 spell slots
DM: 1 rage, action surge, 59/61
Katarina : 53/144, bats in 4 rounds
Kosrafen : boomrang

Round 2

Yondel, realising how bad this could end up, if they are picked of one by one, runs to the edge of the pit, to check upon her teammate; she curses the creature (Path to the Grave), but has no movement left
(Legendary Action) the vampire is able to grab the barbarian
Omega will have non of that. The metal colussus crashes down the pit (1 damage, concentration save succes) And is ready to end the vile creature. By Guided strike he's able to turn a roll of 3 into a hit, hitting for ( (6+3)/2 + 14 = 18 ; *2 =) 36 damage. In the hopes he can end this quickly, he conjures a sprititual weapon and deals another 10 force damage ... which is sadly not enough.
(Legendary Action) the vampire lets go and runs away
But The Dark Maw gets up from his fall and follows the vampire in the dark maw of earth
Katarina, trying to get to safety, suddenly finds a psionically enhanced wooden javalin extruding from her checks. At -3 her body evaporates into an immaterial mist
Yondel: 1 lvl 1 spellslot, path to the grave
Omega's : 2 lvl 1 spell slots, 2 lvl 2 spell slots, channel divinity
DM: 1 rage, action surge, 1 psionic point, 59/61

Some lucky rolls (able to do less then 50 damage per turn, and during her turn she had more then 60 hp) ... but then I noticed Path to the Grave. Vulnerability + smite vs undead. 1 one wourd: pain (which was only able to happen because +10 to attack feature). And of course a critting pally is crit.

Most of my prep didn't do anything - the choke the boneclaw ran into did nothing likewise the improvised cover for the ranged characters did nothing; I gave The Dark Maw a couple of javalins, because I always feel ranged weaponry is important for a barbarian (if nothing else, then to sustain rage when you aren't able to get into melee)

In a DMed encounter, I think Katarina would have fled earlier. The idea of "is at below 60 HPs on her turn when she can't regenerate" doesn't really take into account taking 80 damage in one turn. While technically the rules stipulate she had to attack instead of running away - she was at 7 hp. Dropping 1d8+4 physical on their character only to die, seemed stupid; while running meant the only guy able to stop her was the prone barbarian with a single ranged attack roll (unable to draw 2 javalins in a round). Sadly for her, Dark Maw rolled well.

(Realising now - if Yondell used Path to the Grave on round 1, Omega would have crit smited the vulnerability Katrina ; if he added a second smite, he might as well have done 100 damage in a single round)

shipiaozi
2020-12-17, 09:17 AM
Turn =/= round. Vampire needs to take 50 damages in one turn to retreat, not 50 in one round.

Also seems you didn't make her use her bite.

That would make encounter looks very easy.

Pre-casted buff

Init Order
Ranger 21
Wizard 20
Cleric 17.17
Vampire 17.15
Familiar 15
Warrior 5

Turn 1
Ranger 21: ZStrike, hit 2 and deals 54 damage
Vampire: LA-Retreat, move below, come back in turn 3

Turn 3
Vampire appear again with full health, trigger cleric lv2 bless/ranger attack/warrior move/wizard firebolt, deals 21+11=32 damage, summon 5 swarms in 3 turns.
Familiar: Fly closer to Vampire.
Warrior: Rage, two attacks, 24 damage.
LA-Vampire: Move below and in cover.

Turn 4
Ranger: Take 1 fall damage, ZStrike, deal 39 damage
LA-Vampire: Make wizard fall 3 damage
Wizard: Stand up, Booming Blade, miss
LA-Vampire: Attack wizard, miss.
Cleric-SW deals 10 force damage.
Warrior: Take 6 fall damage, action surge, deals 41 damage, Vampire dead.

Unoriginal
2020-12-17, 09:24 AM
Since I faced the boneclaw Alpha - and I don't know if I'll have time to do two I'll first do the fight with Omega.

While it would be funny, I'm not going to assume warforged are immune to their blood being drained and such.

I come to sjuck your bloood.
Request Denied
Sjay what now?
Commencing Step 1 of 'turing it off and on again'.

The entire party is surprized when the ground in the middle of the church breaks open. Kosrafen was asked to put the Cordon of arrows inside, to forifiy the choke, and it triggers. The arrow gets broken by the exploding stone, [crit save], and the shrapnell bounces off Katarina [(2/2)/2=0 damage]

Initiative: Saint Yondel (21) Omega (16) The Dark Maw (9) Katarina (8) Kosrafen (7)

Round 1

Saint Yondel recognises the vile creature for what it really is [18+?], and notifies the party. taken back on what to do, she casts bless on Omega, Dark Maw & Kosrafen.
Omega's systems kick into action and brings down a beating. The first attack is executed with ruthless efficiency ( crit + lvl 1 smite ; 15/2 + 32 = 39) while the other simply hits, and with a lvl 1 smite deals ( 7/2 =) 3 damage ), while , He also decides to shield of faith himself,
Dark maw lunges into action - furiously & recklessly flurries the mystical vampire - he utterly shreds the vamiren ripping out crit on his first and 4th attack (I just realised his second attack isn't from extra attack, and as such his action surge only gives him one extra attack) (20+10+8 = 38 damage)
Katarina [64hp left] summons 3 rat swarms who will get here in 4 rounds, the moves back down - agilely doging an opportunity attack of Omega, and luckely escapting a grab attempt of Dark Maw, she disappears back int the pit. In fact, she has enough movement left to dig a hole under ... (who would be the loudest? a full metal, but calm, warforged, or a raging barbarian? 1d2 time). Dark Maw (taking 5/2= 2 faling damage)
Kosrafen curses that the monster disappeared before he could do anything. Omega gives the jester a meaningful stare, and he curses again "I'm not getting paid enough for this", he says as he comes tumbling from behind makeshift cover. He sees the dirtycovered vampire cover his comrad and lets loose his boomrang, cleaving the vampire in the shoulder (6/2 +8 = 11 damage), and who can barely withstand the shock it tremmors through her. He picks up his bow and makes a second attack, aiming for the head, but misses completely. Already feeling he took enough risk, he backs away from the pit.
(Legendary Action) Katrine attemps to grab the fallen barbarian, but fails to do so

Yondel: 1 lvl 1 spellslot
Omega's : 2 lvl 1 spell slots
DM: 1 rage, action surge, 59/61
Katarina : 53/144, bats in 4 rounds

Round 2

Yondel, realising how bad this could end up, if they are picked of one by one, runs to the edge of the pit, to check upon her teammate; she curses the creature (Path to the Grave), but has no movement left
(Legendary Action) the vampire is able to grab the barbarian
Omega will have non of that. The metal colussus crashes down the pit (1 damage, concentration save succes) And is ready to end the vile creature. By Guided strike he's able to turn a roll of 3 into a hit, hitting for ( (6+3)/2 + 14 = 18 ; *2 =) 36 damage. In the hopes he can end this quickly, he conjures a sprititual weapon and deals another 10 force damage ... which is sadly not enough.
(Legendary Action) the vampire lets go and runs away
But The Dark Maw gets up from his fall and follows the vampire in the dark maw of earth
Katarina, trying to get to safety, suddenly finds a psionically enhanced wooden javalin extruding from her checks. At -3 her body evaporates into an immaterial mist
Yondel: 1 lvl 1 spellslot, path to the grave
Omega's : 2 lvl 1 spell slots, 2 lvl 2 spell slots, channel divinity
DM: 1 rage, action surge, 1 psionic point, 59/61

Some lucky rolls (able to do less then 50 damage per turn, and during her turn she had more then 60 hp) ... but then I noticed Path to the Grave. Vulnerability + smite vs undead. 1 one wourd: pain (which was only able to happen because +10 to attack feature). And of course a critting pally is crit.

Most of my prep didn't do anything - the choke the boneclaw ran into did nothing likewise the improvised cover for the ranged characters did nothing; I gave The Dark Maw a couple of javalins, because I always feel ranged weaponry is important for a barbarian (if nothing else, then to sustain rage when you aren't able to get into melee)

In a DMed encounter, I think Katarina would have fled earlier. The idea of "is at below 60 HPs on her turn when she can't regenerate" doesn't really take into account taking 80 damage in one turn. While technically the rules stipulate she had to attack instead of running away - she was at 7 hp. Dropping 1d8+4 physical on their character only to die, seemed stupid; while running meant the only guy able to stop her was the prone barbarian with a single ranged attack roll (unable to draw 2 javalins in a round). Sadly for her, Dark Maw rolled well.

(Realising now - if Yondell used Path to the Grave on round 1, Omega would have crit smited the vulnerability Katrina ; if he added a second smite, he might as well have done 100 damage in a single round)

Sorry if I'm misreading this, but wouldn't Omega's Smite neutralized the vampire's regen, meaning that she'd be at less than 60HPs and unable to regen after getting hit by the boomerang, meaning she would have used her LA to flee rather than keeping attempting the grapple?

kazaryu
2020-12-17, 09:26 AM
A toilet roll is a tube, not a cylinder. in my book.

a tube is literally a hollow cylinder. its a specific type of cylinder. like, a square is a rectangle, but not all rectangles are squares.

mistajames
2020-12-17, 10:39 AM
OK, what I meant by the Magic Circle thing:

Roll a basic full caster (Wizard, Bard, or Cleric) with Magic Circle on their spell list.
Cast a basic Magic Circle in an open place. No need for invert it. Nothing fancy. Specify everything because you don't know what you need. It's a cylinder, so qualifying beasties can't enter it by digging underneath it or going over.
When the beastie tunnels under and grapples, Misty Step away (or use a telekinetic shove) and blast her to bits if she sticks around. She can't charm you or dominate you.
She can counterattack at range (with disadvantage). She can try to topple the building, which is going to take her a few minutes at least (time for reinforcements, or to cast Tiny Hut or Rope Trick). But you can attack out if the circle no problem, and the circle even lasts after you leave it (unlike Tiny Hut). Regardless, not a whole lot she can do about the situation.

kazaryu
2020-12-17, 10:49 AM
OK, what I meant by the Magic Circle thing:

Roll a basic full caster (Wizard, Bard, or Cleric) with Magic Circle on their spell list.
Cast a basic Magic Circle in an open place. No need for invert it. Nothing fancy. Specify everything because you don't know what you need. It's a cylinder, so qualifying beasties can't enter it by digging underneath it or going over.
When the beastie tunnels under and grapples, Misty Step away (or use a telekinetic shove) and blast her to bits if she sticks around. She can't charm you or dominate you.
She can counterattack at range (with disadvantage). She can try to topple the building, which is going to take her a few minutes at least (time for reinforcements, or to cast Tiny Hut or Rope Trick). But you can attack out if the circle no problem, and the circle even lasts after you leave it (unlike Tiny Hut). Regardless, not a whole lot she can do about the situation.

except....dig out the floor beneath you, the circle end literally at the floor. she doesn't have to enter the circle to drop you out of it (as per her primary tactic). she's not just popping up and grabbing you, she's literally removing the floor.

JackPhoenix
2020-12-17, 10:51 AM
She can try to topple the building, which is going to take her a few minutes at least (time for reinforcements, or to cast Tiny Hut or Rope Trick). But you can attack out if the circle no problem, and the circle even lasts after you leave it (unlike Tiny Hut). Regardless, not a whole lot she can do about the situation.
[/LIST]

As mentioned, it takes her 6 rounds to collapse the church, which is a victory for the vampir, because the only reinforcements coming would be hers, with the teleportation circle buried in rubble.

And even if she doesn't do that, she can simply dig up from under the circle (where it doesn't affect her) and let the characters fall in the hole, without ever entering the circle herself.

mistajames
2020-12-17, 11:01 AM
As mentioned, it takes her 6 rounds to collapse the church, which is a victory for the vampir, because the only reinforcements coming would be hers, with the teleportation circle buried in rubble.

And even if she doesn't do that, she can simply dig up from under the circle (where it doesn't affect her) and let the characters fall in the hole, without ever entering the circle herself.

Digging underneath is not really a solution by itself, as the characters could just Misty Step out of the hole and counterattack her. It's not like the PCs are just sitting in the circle waiting for her to go away, they can pop out and attack, then pop back in for safety. Admittedly, doesn't solve the entire encounter by itself, but it does deal with the party's defenses in a way that's fairly reliable and which doesn't require concentration.

qube
2020-12-17, 11:42 AM
Sorry if I'm misreading this, but wouldn't Omega's Smite neutralized the vampire's regen, meaning that she'd be at less than 60HPs and unable to regen after getting hit by the boomerang, meaning she would have used her LA to flee rather than keeping attempting the grapple?yes and no. The behavior said '60hp during her turn'. During her turn' she had 64 HP.

And in retrospect - considering the ability would reset during her turn, she in fact die flee immediately after receiving radient damage & was below 50 hp. But at that point, she already was at 7 hp.

Unoriginal
2020-12-17, 12:23 PM
yes and no. The behavior said '60hp during her turn'. During her turn' she had 64 HP.

And in retrospect - considering the ability would reset during her turn, she in fact die flee immediately after receiving radient damage & was below 50 hp. But at that point, she already was at 7 hp.

In retrospect I think I was sloppy writing the Legendary Action parts. As well as underestimating the impact having 3 enemies with higher initiative than the boss rather than 2.

Oh well, at least I'm learning a lot from this challenge.

qube
2020-12-17, 01:24 PM
In retrospect I think I was sloppy writing the Legendary Action parts. As well as underestimating the impact having 3 enemies with higher initiative than the boss rather than 2.

Oh well, at least I'm learning a lot from this challenge.no shame. I'm quite aware is was lucky enough to get her to just above 60 hp.
Plus a pally who goes nova, and a barbarian fighter who frontloads ... it's hard for that not to make a monumental dent.

da newt
2020-12-17, 02:10 PM
Do you need to move the alter so that the teleportation circle can function?

I'd like to play out this encounter, but in order to do that I need a ruling on where the soil/rocks go as the BBEG burrows. Do they magically disintegrate? She has a 18 ST so her max carry weight is 15*18= 270 lbs, moist loose dirt weighs about 78 lbs per ft3 so she could haul almost 3.5 ft3 of dirt at a time (assuming she can carry 3.5 ft3 of dirt without dropping any). One 5x5x5 cube of dirt is 125 ft3 so she needs to make 35 trips to where ever she dumps the dirt she dug in order to clear one 5x5x5 cube of tunnel area ... The reinforcements arrive before she can tunnel into the center of the chapel.

Why doesn't she just mist form and go in through a crack or just open the door in her normal form?

Galithar
2020-12-17, 03:52 PM
Run number two.

Modifier criteria: Vampire has used 3 turns to create a T shape tunnel under the chapel. She has also already used the Children of the Night ability and rolled 8 Wolves that arrived before combat. They have been given orders to attempt to break down the door the same time she breaches the floor (DC 12 Strength Athletics).

Character prep is the same. I have the Kosrafen cast Spike Growth inside the Chapel from the door to 5 feet in front of the altar. Yondel has precast Spirit Guardians. I've procured Continual Flame torches to ensure the entire chapel is in bright light.

Yondel is standing in the middle of the Spike Growth, Kosrafen is behind the altar, and the Dark Maw (equipped with 6 handaxes. 2 of which are drawn) and my Astral Monk are directly in front of the altar.

Not looking as good this time around for my party. The wolves AND Katarina beat my initiative rolls.

Katarina breaks through at the prescribed location. Immediately entering the Spirit Guardians and causing a damage roll. Taking 11 Radiant Damage. Katarina has 133 health remaining.

Round 1
Wolves - The very first wolf uses its action to break down the door with a roll of 18. The Wolves notice the Spike Growth and Spirit Guardians and hold outside the Chapel. All of them move to the sides of the door ready to attack if anyone comes in range.

Katarina - Having taken Radiant damage she cannot regenerate. Starts her turn in Spirit Guardians triggering the damage again. Taking another 18 Radiant damage. Katarina has 115 health remaining.
Quickly getting her bearings Katarina casts a charming gaze towards Yondel. Yondel rolls a 12+6=18 saving from the charm. Katarina then drops down the tunnel and moves 10 feet towards the front of the chapel in her predug T shaped tunnel. This is directly under Yondel.

Kosrafen - Not being able to see any of the enemies readies an action to throw his Storm Boomerang at Katarina if she appears.
Katarina Legendary action 1 - Legendary move action to burrow up to Yondel. Katarina enters Spirit Guardians again triggering damage. Katarina takes 13 Radiant damage. Katarina has 102 health left. Yondel, no longer supported by the floor that Katarina dug out, falls. Yondel takes 1 damage and has to make a concentration check rolls 13+2=15 maintaining concentration on Spirit Guardians. After Yondel falls Katarina climbs 5 feet back down the tunnel to be directly above Yondel.

Yondel - With Katarina looming above Yondel casts Sacred Flame. Katarina readily makes the save with an 11+9=20. Yondel recognizes that Katarina is exceptionally agile. Attempting to escape begins to move towards the first vertical that Katarina dug. Triggering an AoO from Katarina. 6+9=15 missing Yondels 19 AC. Moving 10 feet to the other tunnel Yondel turns around and casts Spiritual Weapon with a 3rd level slot under Katarina. Not having LoS the attack is at disadvantage. The lower is 11+6=17 hit. 13 Force damage. Katarina has 89 health left. Yondel uses 20 feet of movement to climb 10 feet up the tunnel. Yondel is just below floor level of the Chapel.
Katarina Legendary action 2 - Moves to behind the altar, directly under Kosrafen.

The Dark Maw - Readies an action to use Telekinetic Movement to move any ally that Katarina burrows under to an unoccupied space, outside of the Spike Growth, not in the teleportaion circle, and at least 10 feet away from the hole.
Katarina Legendary action 3 - burrows under Kosrafen. This triggers both Kosrafen and the Dark Maws readied actions. Kosrafen throws the Storm Boomerang at disadvantage due to having an enemy within 5 feet. Low roll is 12+9=21 hitting and dealing 17 damage. Katarina has 72 health remaining. Rolls 5+4=9 on Con save against the stun effect. Uses a legendary resistance to instead succeed. Dark Maw moves Kosrafen 10 feet away from the hole that was just created. Katarina retreats 10 feet back down the hole.

Astral Monk - Moves to the top of the hole that Katarina is in and activates Astral Arms and Visage for 2 Ki. No enemies within 10 feet as Katarina is 15 feet down. Attack with Bugbear Astral arms (15 foot reach) Roll 8+6=14 and 13+6=19 one hit. Dealing 5 force damage. Stunning Strike. Save DC 14. Nat 20. 3 Ki remaining. Katarina has 67 health.

Round 2

Wolves - Not having an opening the wolves continue to hold actions. This time a movement action to swarm into the chapel and surround the closest enemy of Spike Growth drops.
Katarina Legendary Action 1 - burrows 10 feet to get under Kosrafen and then up 5 feet (using 10 feet as going up is climbing)

Katarina - Moves up under Kosrafen causing him to fall. Kosrafen takes 4 damage and is at 42 health. Rolls a 14+1=15 on the concentration check for Spike Growth. With her remaining movement she drops down on Kosrafen and uses multiattack. Attack one 6+9=15. Miss. Attack two 8+9=17 hit. Katarina grapples Kosrafen. Attempting to escape with her prey tries to dig out the back of the chapel (still at a depth of 15 feet) moving half speed gets to 10 feet behind the chapel.

Kosrafen - Grappled by Katarina and wants to escape. Bonus action Misty Step back ten feet, under pit 4 (10 feet behind the altar and 5 feet north of the south wall) draws longbow to make two attacks. I realized that Kosrafen and the surroundings would be in darkness. He does not have darkvision so can't see. Instead attempts an acrobatics check to escape. 8+7=15 failure. Kosrafen is still grappled.

Katarina Legendary action 2/3 - Bite attack on Kosrafen. 8+9=17 hit. 17 total damage. 11 necrotic. Kosrafen health is 25/35. Katarina's health is 78. Due to low health Kosrafen is shaken and rolls concentration at disadvantage (little RP thrown in here because he is close to his flee by any means threshold). He rolls a low of 14+1=15 and manages to pass.

Yondel - Hearing Kosrafen's struggle moves to support him taking the dash action to reach Kosrafen, having used all 60 feet of movement. (20 to climb down 10 feet and 40 feet through the tunnels) bringing Kosrsfen some much needed light, and forcing Katarina into Spirit Guardians (she does not take damage yet)

The Dark Maw - Knowing the combat is down below moves to the top of pit 4 and readies an action to attack Katarina if she gets within range.

Astral Monk - Moves down into tunnel and attacks Katarina (past allies with reach granting her half cover and AC 18) attack action. 2 ki remaining.
Roll 1: 9+6=15 miss
Roll 2: 18+6=24 hit.
Roll 3: 14+6=20 hit.
Roll 4: 13+6=19 hit.
Total damage is 19. Katarina has 59 health.

Round 3

Wolves - Feeling useless in this scenario because Kosrafen is keeping concentration hear a magical DM fiat message from Katarina telling them to go to the back of the chapel because Katarina is about to surface.

Katarina - Has not taken Radiant damage since last turn and regenerates to 79 health, but now takes damage from Spirit Guardians. 17 Radiant damage. Kataroma has 62 health. Attacks Kosrafen. Attack 1 is a nat 1. Attack 2 is a bite attack. 7+9=16 hits. 14 damage. 9 of which is necrotic. Kosrafen has 11/26 health. Katarina has 71 health. Kosrafen rolls a 6 on concentration and drops spike growth. [Not that it matters now!!] Katarina releases the grapple and digs up to the surface. Barely making it to the surface.

Kosrafen - Being close to death and freaking out attempts to escape by any means available. He takes the dash action and moves past Yondel and Astral Monk (20 of his 70 feet) climbs up pit 4 and races 40 feet towards the broken door of the Chapel.

Katarina Legendary action 1 - moves 20 feet into the night. (She is in the middle of a pack of 4 wolves. The other 4 are 30 feet away coming around the other side of the chapel)

Yondel - Knowing that Katarina is attempting to withdraw to heal pursues, climbing up the tunnel using 30 feet of movement to get to the top. Seeing that the wolves have moved around the chapel attempts a sacred flame on the closest wolf. Dex save of 7+2=9 failing and taking 7 damage.

Katarina Legendary action 2 - Moves 30 feet out into the night. She is now 40 feet from the chapel and outside of Yondels light spell. Stealth roll of 16+9=25

Dark Maw - I believe this would be an appropriate reaction to him seeing Kosrafen fleeing. He moves up to Kosrafen and attempts an intimidation check to keep him from running into the night. He rolls a 15+3=18. I ruled that was enough to convince him to stay in the chapel and help, but he will begin to flee again if an enemy gets within 30 feet of him before he is healed above his flee threshold of 23. Now that he's calmed Kosrafen he dashes back to the other side of the chapel again, attempting to rejoin the fray.

Katarina Legendary action 3 - She is now 70 feet away.

Astral Monk - Follows Yondel out of the tunnel and sees the wolves. Attack action.
Roll 1: 8+6=14 deals 6 damage to the wolf Yondel hit. It dies. 7 wolves remain.
Roll 2: 6+6=12 deals 7 damage
Roll 3: 13+6=19 deals 9 damage, 2nd wolf dies 6 remain.

[Round 4]

Wolves - Either start in or approach Yondel triggering Spirit Guardians. All wolves take 16 Radiant damage and die.

Katarina - Doesn't regenerate because she took radiant damage. She has 71 health.

Party - regroups in the chapel over this round.

Round 5

Katarina regenerates to 91 health. And over the course of the round hides and begins to move back towards the tunnels to get under the chapel.

Kosrafen - Is still freaking a bit. Moves to a front corner of the chapel as far away from holes as possible and stays quiet (hide action) 12+7=19 (but is in bright light, will be revealed as soon as LoS is established)

Yondel - Casts Cure Wounds with a second level slot. Kosrafen is healed 13. He has 24/25 health. Bonus action to move Spiritual Weapon out of the pit.

Dark Maw - Readies an attack if any enemy gets within 5 feet.

Astral Monk - Moves to check the pits for Katarina and listens for her return (search action) 9+6=15

Round 6

Katarina has recovered to 111 health and digs under Yondel (he cast a spell making him the loudest). Triggering Spirit Guardians taking 14 damage. Katarina has 97 health. Yondel falls taking 4 damage. Yondel has 40 health (calculated total of 45 with average health took 1 damage from last fall) 5+2 loses concentration on Spirit Guardians! Attacks Yondel 13+9=22 hit. Yondel is grappled.

Kosrafen - remains hidden.

Katarina Legendary action 1/2 - Attacks Yondel with a bite 9+9=18. Miss.

Yondel - Casts Bane on Katarina. Katarina rolls 4+9=13. Uses a legendary resistance to save instead. Bonus action to move the spiritual weapon down pit 2 and into range of Katarina 14+6=20 Katarina takes 12 force damage Katarina has 85 health.

Katarina Legendary action 3 - Moves 15 feet through tunnel and is between pit 1 and 6.

Dark Maw - Tired of not getting in the action rages and jumps down pit 1 taking 6 falling damage. Dark Maw has 55 health. Action Surge to attack twice and bonus action third attack. Psionic strike on one attack.
Attack 1: 18+7=25
Attack 2: 15+7=22
Attack 3: 17+7=24

Total damage is 28 physical and 5 force. Total effective damage is 19. Katarina has 66 health.

Astral Monk - Moves down pit 1 and closes on Katarina. Full attack, flurry. 1 ki remaining.
Attack 1: 16+6=22
Attack 2: 14+6=20
Attack 3: 8+6=14
Attack 4: 4+4=8

Total damage is 17. Katarina has 49 health.

Round 7

Katarina - Took radiant damage last round. Attacks Dark Maw to grapple. Nat 20! Dark Maw is grappled. With Dark Maw grappled in front and yondel behind Katarina moves 5 feet forward into the intersection at pit 1. Bite attack on Yondel. 2+9=11 miss. Katarina releases Dark Maw from the grapple and drags Yondel another 10 feet south from pit 1 (her original entry tunnel under window 5)

Kosrafen - Continues hiding

Katarina Legendary action 1/2 - 18+9=27 hit
15 total damage 7 is necrotic. Yondel health is 25/38

Yondel - Attempts a shove attack to break the grapple. Yondel 18+2=20 Katarina 5+4=9 Katarina is pushed back 5 feet and cannot maintain the grapple. Yondel attempts to move back triggering an AoO 12+9=21 11 damage. Dark Maw uses a psionic die to reduce damage by 6. Yondel has 20 health. Bonus action control the Spiritual weapon to attack Katarina 10+6=16 Katarina takes 12 force damage. Katarina has 37 health.
And continues to move back and behind Dark Maw

Katarina Legendary action 3 - moves 30 feet down the tunnel.

Dark Maw - follows Katarina down the tunnel, draws a handaxe and throws it at Katarina. 12+6=18 deals 6 damage halved to 3. Katarina has 34 health.

Astral Monk - moves down to follow Katarina. Attempts a grapple to prevent escape Monk: 13+6=19 Katarina 10+4=14. Katarina is grappled. Attack two 6+6=12 miss.
Bonus action flurry. 0 ki remaining
Attack three 6+6=12
Attack four 12+6=18
4 force damage Katarina has 30 health.

Round 8

Katarina - Attacks Astral Monk hits, grapples, bite attack hits. 24 damage 15 is necrotic. Astral Monk has 17/26 health. Katarina has 65 health.

Kosrafen continues to hide.

Katarina Legendary action 1/2 - 4+9=13 (this miss right here was the point that the party could have lost. This attack would have dropped Astral Monk and allowed Katarina to escape again)

Yondel - Moves back up behind Astral Monk and uses a 2nd level slot to cast Cure Wounds. Astral Monk health is 26/26 steps back 5 feet. Bonus action Spiritual Weapon attack. 12+6=18 7 force damage. Katarina has 58 health.

Katarina Legendary action 3 - 13+9=22 deals 5 damage. Astral Monk has 21/26

Dark Maw - use Telekinetic Movement to move Astral Monk to the other side of Katarina. (This doesn't break the grapple because Astral Monk is never moved out of the range if his reach) Moves up to within 5 feet of Katarina.

Astral Monk - Attack action. Shove. Monk 15+6=21 Katarina 20+4=24. Second shove Monk 16+6=22 Katarina 8+4=12. Katarina is pushed prone.

Round 9

Katarina is prone and grappled. She uses her action to try to break the grapple. Katarina 3+4=7 Monk 6+6=12. Health regenerates Katarina has 78 health.

Kosrafen - Still hiding.

Katarina Legendary action 1/2 - Attempts bite attack on Astral Monk. Low roll was 5+9=14 miss.

Yondel uses Channel divinity Path to the Grave. bonus action Spiritual Weapon. 18+6=24 Katarina takes 30 force damage (after weakness from path to the grave) Katarina has 48 health. Action

Katarina Legendary action 3 - Attempts attack on Astral Monk. Low roll was 13+9=22 deals 11 damage. Dark Maw uses protective field reducing damage by 8. Monk health is 18/26

Dark Maw - attack and bonus action attack. Uses psionic die on psionic strike. 1 psionic die remaining.
Attack 1: 17+6=23
Attack 2: CRIT

Damage is 23 + 3 force. Total damage is 14
Katarina has 34 health.

Monk - Attacks
16+6=22
18+6=24
13+6=19

17 damage. Katarina has 17 health.

Round 10

Katarina - Regenerates has 37 health. Attempts to break grapple again. Katarina: 3+4=7 Monk: 6+6=12

Kosrafen - yeah... still hiding. He's pretty shaken.

Katarina Legendary action 1/2 attempts to attack Monk. 14+9=23
19 damage. 11 is necrotic Monk has 0/15 health

Yondel - 2nd channel divinity Path to the Grave. Bonus action. Spiritual Weapon CRIT 30 damage, doubled by Path to the Grave to 60. Katarina is reduced to 0 HP

Yondel casts cure wounds on Monk and they all regrouo to await extraction.

So things went way differently this time. The adjusted strategy didn't make as much difference as the rolls. I had a little harder time trying to trap Katarina in a position to fully attack her with all party members. Additionally I RPd Kosrafen almost dying and basically going catatonic in the corner. Has I kept him in the fight it would have been a bit different.

Also I tried to Nova early and blew both of Yondels 3rd level slots (just like last time). If I had been able to put Spirit Guardians up after losing concentration the fight would have ended much sooner. She got to regenerate a lot.

Also actually running her grapple correctly helped her a lot. First run I used normal contested rolls instead of letting her grapple on attack with a mn escape DC.

I think her effective health this time around was something like 300.

da newt
2020-12-17, 04:49 PM
Galithar,

For clarification, are you saying that (1) the BBEG can attempt to grapple while her hands are wielding the Claws of the Umber Hulk and (2) that you interpret the Vampire's Unarmed Strike to be allowed while wearing the Claws of the Umber Hulk and also to allow a +9 to hit vs AC to result in an auto grapple (not an opposed check, w/ DC 18 to escape)?

someguy
2020-12-17, 08:25 PM
Da newt the intent in clearly that she can burrow to create tunnels as 20ft/round. So take the ruling as yes, the claws let her remove soil as she tunnels somehow. Also yes let her make the unarmed strikes and grapples without any doffing. That’s clearly the intent of the scenario.

Unoriginal
2020-12-18, 03:54 PM
Do you need to move the alter so that the teleportation circle can function?

Nope.

I'd like to play out this encounter, but in order to do that I need a ruling on where the soil/rocks go as the BBEG burrows. Do they magically disintegrate? She has a 18 ST so her max carry weight is 15*18= 270 lbs, moist loose dirt weighs about 78 lbs per ft3 so she could haul almost 3.5 ft3 of dirt at a time (assuming she can carry 3.5 ft3 of dirt without dropping any). One 5x5x5 cube of dirt is 125 ft3 so she needs to make 35 trips to where ever she dumps the dirt she dug in order to clear one 5x5x5 cube of tunnel area ... The reinforcements arrive before she can tunnel into the center of the chapel.

Assume the dirt get compressed into the tunnel's walls, without having to worry about carrying capacity.

Why doesn't she just mist form and go in through a crack or just open the door in her normal form?

Out-of-universe, to limit the variables.

Also, for the mist form, having to spend her action to turn back into a form that can use any action messes up with her action economy.

In-universe, Katarina is not used to fighting or her vampiric powers, but she does have experience with digging using the Claws. She also figure out it's likely they're going to trap the door if the have the time.

Also, to answer your other post: yes she can grapple someone and dig while wearing the Claws.

da newt
2020-12-19, 10:57 AM
Ok, my fairly vanilla run through:

Tweaks:
My PC is a generic Wood Elf Shepherd Druid, w/ warcaster and a Cloak of Protection. I tweaked the team to subclasses I have books for and tried to pick the most on theme option and avoided OP - Jester is a Horizon Walker (BA next hit is force dam and +1d8), the Maw is Zealot Barb but extra damage is Psychic. I ignore the floor for burrow speed, and use average damage for all.

Prep:
Druid molds earth to move cover into NW and SW corners and then block the door and summons 8 wolves. Cleric Lights a spot on the N&S wall and Spirit Guardians. Jester PAG&Es himself. Jester hides behind dirt pile in SW corner, Druid hides behind dirt pile in NW corner, Maw in front of Alter, Cleric hides behind Alter, wolves fill middle of room.

Pre-fight strategy:
Jester will try to stun, then shoot while keeping behind cover. Druid will drop BEAR spirit and keep cover, re-conjuring as needed. Maw will attack. Cleric will Spirit Guardian and heal. All understand the goal is to survive until they can teleport to safety.

Lead up to initiative:
BBEG trudges through the pouring rain toward the chapel, she can't see beyond her finger tips, but manages to find her way to the chapel. Soaked to the core, she drops to her knees in the mud and starts to burrow under the center of the room. Like my dog in the back yard hunting moles, the wolves with their keen hearing and scent track her progress and whine with anticipation. The BBEG tunnels upward, breaches the floor, and sees 8 wolves around her hole and the Maw 15' away. She is spider climbing the vertical tunnel wall just below floor level. The party sees a soaked and filthy humanoid with oversized bug hands staring back up at them from her hole.

INITIATIVE: BBEG, Wolves, Jester, Maw, Cleric, Druid

Round 1:
She summons 4 swarms of rats (who will arrive in 3 rounds), then she climbs down - the 4 wolves in melee range get an attack of opp w/ pack tactics (Crit 14 dam , hit 7 dam - fails prone DC, and falls 10' leaving melee range of other wolves, 2 fall dam and prone) stands up and digs 10' E (toward the Maw).
One Wolf jumps into the hole, fails dex check, 4 dam, stands, moves to BBEG, attacks - hit 7 dam, the other wolves stay up and follow BBEG motion, ready action to attack if she pops up.
Legendary action, she digs E 5', up 10', opening hole below the Maw, he makes dex check, does not fall, she is in range of Spirit Guardians, saves for 6 radiant dam and triggering ready attacks, 5 wolves in melee range pack tactics (hit - 7, hit - 7, miss, hit - 7, hit - 7 and fail prone check, falls 10' 2 dam and prone) she stands.
Jester - can't see her, readies att w/ boomerang when she pops into view.
Maw jumps down hole, BA rage, hit - 18, miss.
Legendary action, she strikes at Maw, hit - Maw is grappled.
Cleric has no LOS, readies dash action if they see BBEG.
Legendary action, she strikes at Maw, hit - 4 dam.
Druid, summons bear spirit, all get 11 temp HP, druid hides (roles below BBEG PP)

Round 2:
BBEG cannot heal, she's pretty banged up, she takes disengage action and burrows 20' north to retreat and heal up.
Wolf in the tunnel gives chase, attacks and misses.
Legendary action, tunnels up out side chapel.
Jester - readies Boomerang attack
Legendary action, moves 20' spider climbing onto the roof
Maw - chases, gets out side, can't see anything, action dash back into tunnel, drops rage, calls out "it ran off into the night"
Cleric - ready dash
Druid - tells wolf to guard tunnel

Round 3:
BBEG heals 20 hp, grumbles.

Round 4:
BBEG heals 20 hp, back to 100 hp, joined by 4 swarms of rats ...

more later.

da newt
2020-12-20, 09:38 AM
Round 4:
BBEG decides to change tactics - claws a hole in the roof, jumps down next to Druid, triggering ready actions: Jester throws Boomerang - hits 14 dam, cleric dashes into SG range, BBEG fails save 13 dam, BBEG attacks Druid miss, hit - grappled, BBEG spider climbs up but drag+SG it can't get to roof.
Wolves run to BBEG, but have to jump to bite so no pack tactics, miss, miss, miss, miss, hit - 7, miss, can't get close enough, in tunnel.
Legendary action - move up and onto roof (obscured).
Jester - moves closer, longbow, can't see target - miss, hit 4 dam, picks up boomerang, moves back into his corner.
Legendary action - bite hit 17 dam, heal 17, druid makes conc save
Maw - BA rage, move and climb onto roof, attack (can't see, can't be seen, straight role) hit - 18 dam , miss
Rats - attack druid, miss, miss, miss, hit - 7 druid makes conc save
Cleric - moves under hole, cast SW, attack (blind) miss, backs up
Druid - breaks grapple, jumps down into chapel

Round 5:
BBEG can't heal, attacks Maw, miss, hit - maw saves vs grapple, moves to center of roof
Wolves - can't reach, ready dash if they see BBEG
Jester - readies boomerang attack
Maw - moves to BBEG, attack miss, crit 30 dam, BA miss
Legendary action - attack hit grappled, hit 4 dam
Rats - follow Druid, attack - miss, miss, miss, miss (Druid AC = 19, breast plate, shield, cloak of Protection)
Legendary action - bite Maw hit 13 dam, heal 13
Cleric - moves so SG covers rats, 2 save, 2 fail 14/7 dam, BA move SW into chapel, attack rats hit 8 dam
Druid - thunderwave rats - 3 fail, 1 save for 9/4 dam, one swarm is killed

Round 6:
BBEG heals 20, bite Maw hit 13 dam heal 13, strike hit 4 dam
Wolves - attack rats, kill them all
Legendary action - bite hit 13 dam, heal 13
Jester - ready boomerang
Legendary action - drag Maw off roof, fall 3 dam, both prone
Maw - shove, breaks grapple, stands, attack hit 18 dam, BA attack hit 8 dam, moves toward front of chapel
Cleric - readies dash
Druid - sends to wolves out the tunnel to fetch the Maw and fight the BBEG

noob
2020-12-20, 10:02 AM
I believed you did not have the right to change the builds of the npcs.