PDA

View Full Version : Rules Q&A use magic device on ambrosia?

newguydude1
2020-12-11, 06:17 PM
Good spellcasters can use ambrosia in magic item creation.

Emulate an Alignment

Some magic items have positive or negative effects based on the user’s alignment. Use Magic Device lets you use these items as if you were of an alignment of your choice. You can emulate only one alignment at a time.
1. can i use umd to use ambrosia in magic item creation?
2. do i have to pass the umd check for every single dose of ambrosia, or do i just need to pass it once and im emulating that alignment forever until i choose to stop?

sreservoir
2020-12-11, 06:49 PM
1: Probably not? The main sticking point is whether ambrosia is a "magic item". It's not really a well-defined term, but ambrosia doesn't behave like the other things that are usually called magic items?

2: This one, though, is well-defined: check once per hour.

You make a Use Magic Device check each time you activate a device such as a wand. If you are using the check to emulate an alignment or some other quality in an ongoing manner (to emulate a neutral evil alignment in order to keep yourself from being damaged by a book of vile darkness you are carrying when you are not evil, for example), you need to make the relevant Use Magic Device check once per hour.

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 10:30 AM
1: Probably not? The main sticking point is whether ambrosia is a "magic item". It's not really a well-defined term, but ambrosia doesn't behave like the other things that are usually called magic items?

is everburning torch a magic item?
if yes so is ambrosia since both are permanent duration spell effects.
if no then ambrosia isnt a "magic item"

Quentinas
2020-12-12, 03:12 PM

Is not that easy as a everburning torch is a normal torch with a spell above (so it could be cancelled or suppressed ) the ambrosia is an optional material component,and while is the result of a spell (distilled joy) is not said that is magical , or that is a magic item so you could not use umd as use magic device is used on a magic item not on a spell component , if there isn't a rule that permit to be applied to spell components as far as I know

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 06:27 PM
Is not that easy as a everburning torch is a normal torch with a spell above (so it could be cancelled or suppressed ) the ambrosia is an optional material component,and while is the result of a spell (distilled joy) is not said that is magical , or that is a magic item so you could not use umd as use magic device is used on a magic item not on a spell component , if there isn't a rule that permit to be applied to spell components as far as I know

both are permanent duration spells that can be dispelled so by definition both are magical.

Gruftzwerg
2020-12-13, 01:35 AM
both are permanent duration spells that can be dispelled so by definition both are magical.

"Real magic items" in 3.5 don't become mundane when a dispell is applied. Their effect only gets suppressed (because there is no spell effect on the item. the magical aura of an item is not the aura of the spell used to craft it).

we have a clear difference between magical (crafted) items and permanently enchanted items.

Do you become a magic item when you are under the effect of some spell + permanency spell? No the spell made permanent can easily be dispelled (and not suppressed if it would be an magic item).

edit: for reference

Targeted Dispel

One object, creature, or spell is the target of the dispel magic spell. You make a dispel check (1d20 + your caster level, maximum +10) against the spell or against each ongoing spell currently in effect on the object or creature. The DC for this dispel check is 11 + the spell’s caster level. If you succeed on a particular check, that spell is dispelled; if you fail, that spell remains in effect.

If you target an object or creature that is the effect of an ongoing spell (such as a monster summoned by monster summoning), you make a dispel check to end the spell that conjured the object or creature.

If the object that you target is a magic item, you make a dispel check against the item’s caster level. If you succeed, all the item’s magical properties are suppressed for 1d4 rounds, after which the item recovers on its own. A suppressed item becomes nonmagical for the duration of the effect. An interdimensional interface (such as a bag of holding) is temporarily closed. A magic item’s physical properties are unchanged: A suppressed magic sword is still a sword (a masterwork sword, in fact). Artifacts and deities are unaffected by mortal magic such as this.

You automatically succeed on your dispel check against any spell that you cast yourself.

the 2 (bold) paragraphs show the difference 3.5 makes between objects with only a spell effect on it (even if it is of permanent duration) and objects that are magic items.

sreservoir
2020-12-13, 07:02 AM

Everburning torches aren't even listed as magic items—they're listed alongside alchemical items and holy water.

newguydude1
2020-12-13, 07:21 AM
Everburning torches aren't even listed as magic items—they're listed alongside alchemical items and holy water.

theyre not alchemical items. theyre explicitly magical.

i know there is a difference between a "magic item" and a "magical item".
umd works on "magic items".
does umd work on "magical items"?

if not, is there no way a neutral or evil character can use ambrosia? i really dont like liquid pain.

morality undone turns a good character into an evil one temporarily. but i cant find a good version of morality undone.

Crake
2020-12-14, 02:28 AM
theyre not alchemical items. theyre explicitly magical.

An everburning torch has the same cost as the spellcasting service to cast continual flame. It is effectively just the end product of a spell being cast, not a magical item crafted.

unseenmage
2020-12-14, 01:17 PM
Ambrosia is not a magic item.

However, theres no reason you couldn't MAKE it a magic item them UMD to your heart's content.