PDA

View Full Version : Finding the World Serpent Inn

schreier
2020-12-11, 08:35 PM
Reading up on it on the Manual of the Plans web enhancement and the Dragon Magazine article - it talks about how there are different entrances. In Eberron, there is a permanent portal at a flower shop where you have to step on a flower as you open it, while one in Faerun requires you to say a prayer to a god as you open it.

Do people learn about these just by word of mouth? Would Legend Lore type spells help with that?

When you are near a portal, would detect magic detect it? If so, would it show how to activate it? Use identify? Just trying to figure out how to make the "finding the first entrance" make sense. My current plan is people hear rumors or legends about it, but wanted to make sure I knew how the door would interact with magic. Or at least get people's thoughts about it.

Spiderswims
2020-12-11, 10:37 PM
Reading up on it on the Manual of the Plans web enhancement and the Dragon Magazine article - it talks about how there are different entrances. In Eberron, there is a permanent portal at a flower shop where you have to step on a flower as you open it, while one in Faerun requires you to say a prayer to a god as you open it.

Do people learn about these just by word of mouth? Would Legend Lore type spells help with that?

When you are near a portal, would detect magic detect it? If so, would it show how to activate it? Use identify? Just trying to figure out how to make the "finding the first entrance" make sense. My current plan is people hear rumors or legends about it, but wanted to make sure I knew how the door would interact with magic. Or at least get people's thoughts about it.

1.Yes. Local lore(in the area it is around) and bard lore would also work. And Knowledge:The Planes.

2.Yes. Plus other divinations too.

3.Maybe. The most standard portal in 3.5E is just a magic item. Some are more strange and exotic so they are harder to detect. But you'd really want the more specialized spells like detect portal and analyze portal.

4.Depends on the portal. You'd want the spell analyze portal.

The Inn is an inn, with a keeper and all.....you can have the NPC talk to the players.

Particle_Man
2020-12-12, 12:06 AM
“The World Serpent? I am sure that it is around somewhere.” 😊

animewatcha
2020-12-12, 01:31 AM
Seeing as how the World Serpent Inn is like Plane of Shadow (connected to everywhere including the Plane of Kitchen Sinks ), this should definately fall under travel domains/deities whose clerics can provide insight/divine where you would need to go.