PDA

View Full Version : 3rd Ed A Way to Kill With Nonlethal Damage?

MaxiDuRaritry
2020-12-11, 09:02 PM
Magic of Faerun has the monstrous regeneration spell. It grants regeneration like a troll (that is, it grants regenerating nonlethal damage for all attacks taken except for fire and acid, reattachable and regrowable body parts, etc). The kicker, though, is the final line of the spell:

When the spell ends, all the creature's subdual damage is converted to normal damage.

So if you hit an otherwise hard to kill critter with lots of nonlethal damage, then cast this spell on it and immediate dispel it, it dies.

If you don't have the proper ways to overcome regeneration on trolls, you can use this to kill them. Also,I'd suggest the tarrasque, but I don't think you can kill that except for the specified ways (via knocking it out via nonlethal damage and casting wish, basically). Actually, I think this might actually bypass the tarrasque's normal immunity to death, with the way it's written...

What other kinds of creatures would this allow you to kill that otherwise are nigh impossible for most characters?

sreservoir
2020-12-12, 04:18 AM
Malebranches as written? (https://forums.giantitp.com/showthread.php?622306-what-weapon-bypasses-malebranches-regeneration)

newguydude1
2020-12-12, 06:57 AM
just drown the guy after you knock em out. shove their mouth full of dirt. or just sit on its throat.

Darg
2020-12-12, 10:19 AM
The tarrasque can be slain only by raising its nonlethal damage total to its full normal hit points +10 (or 868 hit points) and using a wish or miracle spell to keep it dead.

Based on the wording, even if the HP is -infinity, the tarrasque can't be slain because it says that this is the only way to slay it.